Wilmington, NC - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anybody else getting pixelization when there is somewhat fast movement on WSFX? I finally "think" I found the right place to keep my antenna to stop glitches, but last night when I looked for awhile, there is breakup in any area of the screen when there is fast movement. Not everytime but lots of the time.

Its not the entire picture, just that area. which is kind of odd looking ! I get a solid signal lock in many different locations with my antenna. Anyway, since it only in a certain area of the screen, I assume its something they are doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes... guess I should have posted the following here as well as at ilmhd.com...

+++++++++++++++++++ From July 29 ++++++++++++++++++++

With about 80% signal on my MDP-130 tuner card, I still get picture breakups, portions of the image look to have a bit of macroblocking. Compared to WECT at ~45% signal strength, I have perfect picture stability with no artifacts.

Wonder if it could be their simulcast of Tube sucking away some bandwidth? Or it's some other signal anomaly not related to strength...

PSIP program guide comes through ok.

I was able to switch between my cable feed of WSFX and the OTA signal, although it took a few seconds, both through my tuner card, so it was the same physical input to the tv.

Besides being much more stable, the cable feed subjectively was more pleasing to my eye... but I'll have to experiment some more...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 AM

Having a problem picking up fox altogether today normally one of my best channels to pick up since they are on the air now on 26-1 but having issues. Is it only me or is anyone else having the same issue of not picking up a signal?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Larry.
How do you get WSFX in Charlotte? That is incredible!

I have been having some pixelation, and at times I lose the signal, but I figured it is
because I am on the very fringe. I am actually about 3-5 miles outside of that blue
line of the image I posted on the last page. Right on the river in Jack...
Old 08-11-2006, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Larry.
How do you get WSFX in Charlotte? That is incredible!

I have been having some pixelation, and at times I lose the signal, but I figured it is
because I am on the very fringe. I am actually about 3-5 miles outside of that blue
line of the image I posted on the last page. Right on the river in Jack...

Well, I normally try to put the area when I post about OTA, but I didn't this time. But anyway I'm in North Myrtle Beach a lot, so thats where I'm picking it up from. As you know Fox in MB isn't full power yet and way too weak to pick up.

Regarding WSFX, no matter where I put my antenna or how good of a lock the receiver shows, it still glitches. Some places that I stop its worse of course, but I cannot stop it completely.

Even with a solid 94 on the meter, still glitches. I do notice that while looking at the signal meter for some reason it will drop to zero for a second at times, but usually I can stop that by moving the antenna. But I don't sit there and watch the meter but so long.

Thats the only station that I get with a signal that strong, that breakups like that. Its also way too sensitive about where the antenna is pointing.

So is anyone getting it without glitches? I cannot post in that Wilmington local forum, it doesn't seem to work anymore.

I assume they are still working the bugs out, but thats just a guess.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been watching the Tube this AM and my signal to noise rate is 18db. This is one
of the weakest I get, but as long as that number is 15 or higher I get a signal. My meter shows 67%, but it has never worked right.
So far anyway, this morn. the signal has not pixelated.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:29 PM

Tried to watch NBC HD 6-1 this evening (~7:30PM) from OTA and getting message from TV that the channel is encrypted. I have never seen this before so I hope they are just testing / upgrading. Any ideas? NBC usually comes in very nice here off Sidburry in Northern New Hanover.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, now that we have 3 out of 4 of the big 4 networks in HD in wilmington...lets get this forum active again. I am trying to get my second HD tivo running in the living room. I do have them all phoneless now and networkable. Its great for scheduling shows and whatnot over the web.

My idea is the following.

2 networks per tivo between 8 and 11. This eliminates the tuner conflicts and I can also squeeze TNTHD and SHOWTIME, HBO in there too. I have a MYHD tuner as well to watch something else live if nessecary. Its more for testing channels now though.

Any news of an HD CB(UPN/WB) option coming to eastern carolina?

I am going to spend this week seeing if I can cascade the sat lines from the first multiswitch a second to get eight outputs in the living room for two hd tivos and one standard-def tivo. I have three usb adapters as well but its gonna require some creative wiring without sacrificing OTA signals. RIght now i have 4 lines in the living room from the first multiswitch. I talk to an sat installer almost once every two weeks and he gave me some tips on the correct way to do it. He didnt forsee an issue....only stated you must like to watch some tv.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:59 PM

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the HD world having stepped up to a Sony KDS50A2000 recently. Having DISH-HD installed this Friday but we've been enjoying OTA locals recently and having read most of the posts here since inception, I am pretty sure we have some very well informed technos lurking within.
I am very curious what people are using for their OTA reception. I am only using a TERK TV55 antenna at the moment and I receive the Wilmington digitals quite well.....'course that's probably because I am only about 5 miles from the tower in Delco. I live just west of Riegelwood. So I am trying to find the best roof antenna setup for pulling in the fringe stations like CBS in Florence as well as not being overpowered from the Delco tower. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sony KDS50A2000 SXRD HD RP
Toshiba DVR
DTV HR-20 DVR
Harmon-Kardon AVR-240 receiver
Harman Kardon HKTS 14 speakers
Old 09-13-2006, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

You should be able to get CBS-HD from Dish for an extra $1.50/mo--it will be either the East Coast or West Coast feed, your choice (at least it was when I signed up years ago).

Since we have no viable signal for CBS in New Hanover county (I'm sure it's the same for Brunswick), no waiver is required, and it's not the same issue as getting locals-in-local, no matter what the ads by DirecTV say...

Otherwise... I would think you'd need a directional antenna, possibly with an amp, depending on the strength of the Florence station, and its radiation pattern, to prevent overload from the local towers...

But try the Dish solution--it's easier...
Old 09-13-2006, 07:01 AM

Nooky,
Welcome to the HD and digital TV world and congratulations on your new Sony.
One of my friends is looking at that model Sony. I am amazed you are doing so well with the Terk antenna. My experience with Terk antennas is not so good.
For an antenna , something with good gain, and no preamp as it would be overloaded by the local stations near you. Unfortunately the direction to the Florence / Myrtle Beach stations is different than the direction to the Wilmington stations. So maybe a good antenna like an 8 bay bowtie Channel Master 4228 might be a good choice. It might still pick up the Wilmington stations ok even though pointed at The South Carolina stations. Keep us posted with your results. Try using the web site www.antennaweb.org for the antenna pointing direction to the stations.

Wayne Estabrooks
Chief Engineer - Transmission
UNC-TV
Old 09-13-2006, 06:25 PM

Thanks to you both for the input....Marc, I was thinking along the same lines as you, I haven't yet talked to Dish and I was wondering if I could just get the CBS feed. Will chat with them Friday when I initialize my new receiver.
Wayne, thanks for the kind words. The CM 4228 was recommended by a "guru" on another webpage. It is mostly UHF but seems to work pretty good with channel 13 as well.
The MS2000 was also recommended as it is omnidirectional with a built in amp. My only concern would be the over-amplification aspect.
I was surprised the Terk is doing as good as it as too. It doesn't handle the analog signals quite as well.
Really enjoying this Sony, it has an awesome picture, especially when I am getting your HD signal on 1080i!

Sony KDS50A2000 SXRD HD RP
Toshiba DVR
DTV HR-20 DVR
Harmon-Kardon AVR-240 receiver
Harman Kardon HKTS 14 speakers
Old 09-13-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

What's going on with WWAY HD tonight? They kept trying to get the HD to work but it either kept freezing or there was no sound. I am watching 12 since they are HD, but normally 3 has
the best audio quality.

I am using for my antenna to get Wilmington a CM 4221 with a 7777 amp. I have very good luck with FOX, ABC and UNC. NBC works when it wants to... Lately it has been working better
than usual though.
The only way to get the CW for me is WNCT 9.2 -- and it will only be SD. Wilmington has an
analog channel 50 something I think that will carry it.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:05 AM

Even though most were watching football, this is to let you know about audio problems this weekend on UNC-HD. On Saturday we experienced a loss of audio with hiss and static during the 8 PM show due to equipment failure. On Sunday night during the Nature show, the 5.1 feed from PBS has the channel 1&2 audio interchanged with the channel 3&4 audio so surround appeared only on stereo TV with no dialog. We regret these technical problems.

Wayne Estabrooks
Chief Engineer - Transmission
UNC-TV
Old 09-20-2006, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone know whats up with the CW in eastern nc,

I was under the impression it would just be seamless merge to CW logo.

Apparently directv says we no longer can offer you this channel in your area.

Wasnt much of a warning. Is this just a contract negotiation thing,

"The WB UPN Networks have merged to form the CW Netowkr. We Apologize but we can no longer offer this channel.

THanks directv for the warning. There was no mention that I recall that it was dissapearing off the dial.....special right at the premier of the fall season

Any plans for a multicast of CW???? OTA

WOW!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If your can pick up WWMB 21 out of Florence/Myrtle Beach they switched to CW Monday. They were testing a HD signal all weekend but something must have went wrong because Monday their remapping change 20.1SD CW21 and 20.2HD (HD Demo loop) to 20.4SD CW21 and 20.5SD CWPlus. Hopefully they'll get it straight by this coming Monday.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

Anyone know whats up with the CW in eastern nc,

I was under the impression it would just be seamless merge to CW logo.

Apparently directv says we no longer can offer you this channel in your area.

Wasnt much of a warning. Is this just a contract negotiation thing,

"The WB UPN Networks have merged to form the CW Netowkr. We Apologize but we can no longer offer this channel.

THanks directv for the warning. There was no mention that I recall that it was dissapearing off the dial.....special right at the premier of the fall season

Any plans for a multicast of CW???? OTA

WOW!

Thats weird, on Directv up here in Jacksonville The CW is still listed on channel 15.
I don't subscribe to the locals since I have HD antennas, but the feed is supposedly still coming from Baltimore on D*. D* is in negotiations with WNCT dt I think to carry the local signal which is on 9.2 standard def.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:57 PM

I just bought a Viewsonic n3251w and was wondering what HD antenna would be best for me, I am in brunswick county, so I know I need a big one.

I am assuming these things could be picked up from lowes or the likes, I know best buy sells out door antenna's would that be worth it.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Really all you need is a UHF antenna. All the Wilmington channels are UHF. WWAY 46, WSFX 30
WUNJ 29 and WECT 44. I would get a CM 4221 or 4228. If you want to try for the Florence/Myrtle Beach channels or Charleston you should install a rotator. Way up 5O some miles from Wilmington I get the Charleston channels usually a couple of nights a week.

Lowes only sells combo VHF/UHF antennas, you won't need one that big unless you want analog channels also.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 AM

sweet thanks.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:30 PM

ok I have the same kind of question only I am in the monkey junction area?

what kind of antenna should I get I am right near the corner where carolina beach rd and college rd meet I have a 2 story house 3 including the roof so I could probably mount something on the side of it or ontop of it if I need too

I only need to pick up the local channels ABC CBS NBC FOX

the goal is to hook it up to my tivo and have it record unattended so I don't think a rotator would be right for me

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNewb View Post

ok I have the same kind of question only I am in the monkey junction area?

what kind of antenna should I get I am right near the corner where carolina beach rd and college rd meet I have a 2 story house 3 including the roof so I could probably mount something on the side of it or ontop of it if I need too

I only need to pick up the local channels ABC CBS NBC FOX

the goal is to hook it up to my tivo and have it record unattended so I don't think a rotator would be right for me

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated thanks

Dude! (sh!t, I hate that, but it's also kinda funny, coming from someone "my age") We're almost neighbors!

Anyway, I'm just up the road from you. I'd recommend the Radio Shack 15-1880, except they don't make it anymore. With very little to no re-orientation, up in my FROG (I didn't know that was "finished room over garage" until I started looking at houses here), I can pick up all the stations. I don' t think you really need much, but the Radio Shack does have a built-in amplifier.

I'm sure people will tell you to stay away from Terk--overpriced and doesn't work so well apparently.

I don't think you'll need a roof top antenna...

Oh, I see you also want to get CBS--that's impossible, and they don't broadcast OTA HD, if you could call them even broadcasting anything OTA... They have so little power, that you don't even have to ask for a waiver to get them via satellite.

Your only solution for CBS is to get TimeWarner lifeline cable, which has all the network HD channels included, and get a computer ATSC tuner card to record it. (Well, I've had CBS HD with Dish for about 4 years now... and I think DirecTv carries it)

You might be able to get a TimeWarner HD Tivo box without subscribing to an HD package--don't know--and record all the network channels in HD.

If you already have a Tivo, what is the programming source?
Old 09-22-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?uestion View Post

I just bought a Viewsonic n3251w and was wondering what HD antenna would be best for me, I am in brunswick county, so I know I need a big one.

I am assuming these things could be picked up from lowes or the likes, I know best buy sells out door antenna's would that be worth it.

I've got a 4-bay Channel Master, I think that's the 4221? Not using it... I'm in Wilmington.

Wanna buy it cheap? I'll help out a fellow AVSer..

PM me if interested...

Also, all the transmitter towers are located in Brunswick county, so you're probably not so far away...
Old 09-22-2006, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Local CBS affiliate will not give waivers because it is carried in SD on directv. DISH , however is very different in that they do not broadcast locals over sat for our DMA. This allows them to grant waivers without a fight because they dont have a leg to stand on without offering local market networks over sat. If something has changed please correct me.

Thats not to say that outside of wilmington that CBS isnt an option. Kure Beach, Oak Island area all qualify. Go figure.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:47 PM

I am on the charter cable side of the road so time warner isn't an option.
is there a way I can pick up CBS from greensboro or somewhere else other then local

the tivo is going to be a tivo 3
right now I have a tivo 2 which is just plugged into our charter cable box and it works great but isn't HD
Old 09-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

Local CBS affiliate will not give waivers because it is carried in SD on directv. DISH , however is very different in that they do not broadcast locals over sat for our DMA. This allows them to grant waivers without a fight because they dont have a leg to stand on without offering local market networks over sat. If something has changed please correct me.

Thats not to say that outside of wilmington that CBS isnt an option. Kure Beach, Oak Island area all qualify. Go figure.

As far as I understand, because WILM is not even classified as a broadcast station, they don't have the authority to grant or deny a waiver. I asked them for a waiver initially (which they said they don't grant), but after some research found out that I didn't need a waiver.

According to the FCC, they are classified as:

Licensee: WILM, INC.
Service Designation: TX Translator station

Channel: 10 192 - 198 MHz Application
File No.: BSTA-20000306AAI Facility ID number: 30081
CDBS Application ID No.: 493001

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=30081

They are a translator, transmitting at .075 kW--basically, there's almost no way you can pick them up OTA, and I think this is why you don't even have to ask for a waiver... what's the alternative? They can't force you to subscribe to TW cable, so as a viewer I have a choice for CBS...

Some of the engineers on this forum may explain it better than I understand it...

I'll add, that you can get "local" CBS-HD via TW cable, via WILM, via WRAL... still DD2.1, whereas Dish is CBS from either East or West Coast, in DD5.1
Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoNewb View Post

I am on the charter cable side of the road so time warner isn't an option.
is there a way I can pick up CBS from greensboro or somewhere else other then local

the tivo is going to be a tivo 3
right now I have a tivo 2 which is just plugged into our charter cable box and it works great but isn't HD

Sorry to hear that, Charter doesn't have a good reputation...

Talk to Daryl (on this forum) about distant reception...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:25 PM

ya I guess I would need to pick up a distant reseption for CBS but the others should be easy to get right?

is there one particular type of antenna thats good at picking up both the local and long distance stations ota?
Old 09-24-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post

Talk to Daryl (on this forum) about distant reception...

Dang if I didn't get a good laugh when I read that line. Cause I don't know jack or sh!t and jack left town.

TorontoNewb,

All I know about Monkey Junction (that name makes me feel like we can head em off at the pass) is it's somewhere around Wilmington. But maybe, just maybe you can pickup WBTW-DT 13.1 (56.1) CBS out of the Florence/Myrtle Beach area with a rooftop antenna. I use a Channel Master Crossfire 3671 Deep Fringe UHF/VHF antenna with a Channel Master Titan CM-7777 amp.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 AM

would I use two antennas or just one
like one for the local stuff and then the other one with an amp to pick up CBS?