Advertisement

post #452 of 2235 Old 10-19-2006, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post

WWAY still down... spoke with someone at the station, all the engineers are out of the office, I assume at the xmitter site, trying to fix the problem.

When I mentioned that so far they've lost HD programming for one of the biggest hits for ABC, if not for all networks (Lost), and have major programming on tonight, they said "we know...".

Of all the stations, it seems WWAY's equipment has been the least reliable over the years...

Their chief engineer used to return my E_mails and I even got a reply from their general manager several months ago. Now they both ignore my calls and E_Mails.

Is it just me or does WWAY seem to be down more than all the other HD channels combined? Not only down more but for long periods, weekends and days at a time?

WWAY is owned by Morris Multimedia which owns all of 5 TV staions in smaller markets.

Maybe some messages to Chrles Morris (founder) of H. Dean Hinson (TV) at Morris might get some kind of reply?

Thissite won't let me post URL's yet but Morris Multimedia and their contact page is easy to find.

I have given up on anybody local answering.

It seems like we and ABC have spent a lot of money on HD. Too bad WWAY doesn't seem to match our and ABC's enthusiasm.

I also am sending an E-Mail Star News. I would love to see an article on WWAY and how they can't seem to get HDTV right! I have been in this area for 2 years now and they have always been the worst in my view!
post #453 of 2235 Old 10-19-2006, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have to dis-agree on WWAY being the worst. They have had their share of problems, but at least I can pick them up when they are on the air. WECT on the other hand I cannot get 70% of the time, and have never seen anyone from that station come on here or the ILM site to give updates on digital plans or to answer questions. WWAY was the first station on the air in Wilmington. They had their ducks in a row more than the others did in the long run, at least in my opinion.
The change over from the previous owner may be the problems we've seen in the short term.
post #454 of 2235 Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations WWAY, 2 nights in a row with no prime time HD... Lost, Grey's Anatomy, Six Degrees......

While some might complain about the signal strength of WECT, it's because of the way the antenna is mounted on the tower, and its radiation pattern, not because the equipment itself. I've confirmed this in conversation with a station engineer, as a matter of fact, the studio location on Shipyard has trouble picking up their own OTA digital signal. There's a big suckout in the radiation pattern in New Hanover County...

But, they aren't down as much as WWAY. When WWAY first went on the air, they were down a lot. From the beginning, WECT has been more stable.
post #455 of 2235 Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I have to dis-agree on WWAY being the worst. They have had their share of problems, but at least I can pick them up when they are on the air. WECT on the other hand I cannot get 70% of the time, and have never seen anyone from that station come on here or the ILM site to give updates on digital plans or to answer questions. WWAY was the first station on the air in Wilmington. They had their ducks in a row more than the others did in the long run, at least in my opinion.
The change over from the previous owner may be the problems we've seen in the short term.

I guess my view is that of a cable subscriber. All the other networks seem to be, if not solid, only down for very short time periods. WWAY is off for days at a time and much more frequently. TWC even added a crawl on WWAY's DT channels a couple of months ago stating WWAY was down but it was a WWAY problem not TWC. Highly unusal. Also I am disappointed that they have stopped communicating. Does anybody from WWAY communicate anywhere?
post #456 of 2235 Old 10-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

A few years back, when the stations were first coming up with DT and HD, several of us on this board and the now defunct ILMHD Forum were in frequent contact with the station engineers. Initially it was a pretty good exchange (in my opinion), as we were all learning about the technology--there weren't many of us in town capable of receiving OTA HD, so we were a valuable feedback component.

I think that relationship deteriorated as the performance of the stations DT/HD didn't improve over time, and we became somewhat more critical (again, in my opinion).

There have been ownership changes, one of the engineers moved to Asheville, some engineers switched stations...

I've been in touch with TW cable, hoping they can exert pressure on behalf of all their HD subscribers...

I've kinda given up--it is what it is... as consumers, we don't seem to have much weight...

Let me add, that Wayne Estabrooks, chief engineer at UNC TV, has always been outstanding to "work" with... I can't remember the specifics, but a few years ago or so, I believe I had left him a voicemail, or maybe an email. He was on a boondogle-I MEAN business trip--in Vegas... He called me from Vegas...
post #457 of 2235 Old 10-19-2006, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Up in the Greenville viewing area we have Ken12 to ask questions about the New Bern ABC station, WCTI 12. He has always been helpful and informative to everyone on their digital signal. I think they may reach Wilmington if you turn your antennas to the northeast. They are on channel 48. The signal is directional towards Wilmington.
WWAY is better in that they carry Dolby Digital sound. WCTI does not as of yet, but they plan to in the future.

Wayne Estabrooks has kept us up on UNC-TV. Thats for sure. I never have problems with either of the two signals I get.
post #458 of 2235 Old 10-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

TW cable must've had enough complaints that they've finally put up a disclaimer that WWAY is having the problems, not them...

WWAY, still down...

post #459 of 2235 Old 10-20-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:

TW cable must've had enough complaints that they've finally put up a disclaimer that WWAY is having the problems, not them...

WWAY, still down...

WWAY is beyond comprehension. Second time TWC has felt compelled to put the disclaimer up. And how many days was it down for 24 hours? And even when it was up how many times did the send SD when it should of been HD?

In my view it's may be one of the worst staions, for HD, in the country.
post #460 of 2235 Old 10-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Quote:

WWAY, still down...

Maybe the people that own WWAY won't ignore us the way the local people are.

Send some comments to the folks at Morris Multimedia (owmers of WWAY)

Charles Morris is the fouder and H. Dean Hinson is in charge of Television.

Use this page:

Look at the next post>
post #461 of 2235 Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM

[quote=Rich in ILM]Maybe the people that own WWAY won't ignore us the way the local people are.

Use this page:

Or the post after.

I need to make 5 posts beofe I can include a URL!
post #462 of 2235 Old 10-20-2006, 03:54 PM

[quote=Rich in ILM]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post

Maybe the people that own WWAY won't ignore us the way the local people are.

Use this page:

Or the post after.

I need to make 5 posts beofe I can include a URL!

Maybe this time!
http://www.morrismultimedia.com/?cat=6
post #463 of 2235 Old 10-20-2006, 04:08 PM

[quote=Rich in ILM]
Quote:

Maybe this time!
http://www.morrismultimedia.com/?cat=6

Mr. Morris,

All of us HDTV owners in Wilmington are very hopeful that your company will help WWAY figure out what has gone so terribly wrong with their HDTV feed. Of all 4 networks here WWAY seems to have about 99% of the down time. We've been down for three days again!
Those of us that have HDTV have spent a fair amount of money to receive it and ABC certainly has spent a bunch to originate it. But WWAY seems to be a very week link in between!

Any fixes in the near future?

Thanks for your time.
post #464 of 2235 Old 10-21-2006, 10:03 AM

[quote=Rich in ILM]
Quote:

Mr. Morris,

All of us HDTV owners in Wilmington are very hopeful that your company will help WWAY figure out what has gone so terribly wrong with their HDTV feed. Of all 4 networks here WWAY seems to have about 99% of the down time. We've been down for three days again!
Those of us that have HDTV have spent a fair amount of money to receive it and ABC certainly has spent a bunch to originate it. But WWAY seems to be a very week link in between!

Any fixes in the near future?

Thanks for your time.

acombs@wwaytv3.com

Andy Combs General Manager WWAY
Mr. Combs,

It seems that if you guys really are the news channel you might want to communicate the status of the HDTV channels.
Things like why it is down, again, for several days.
Why it is down more than all the other HDTV feeds combined.
When it will be back up.
What steps are being taken to make ABC HDTV more reliable.

Maybe it's just me, but a station that takes pride in reporting other business' problems might want to put a little of the spotlight on themselves.

What do you think?
post #465 of 2235 Old 10-21-2006, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Go get 'em Rich!

Still down as of 1PM... If the station has guts, they'll tell you they don't really care because they don't make any money (or at least any extra money) off their digital and HD broadcast--compared to analog...

Basically what I've heard in the past as an excuse for making digital/HD a second class citizen within the station...

Too bad it isn't an O&O station, then corporate ABC might care, after all, they are spending all that money on producing HD content, and we're going on the 4th night without it.

A letter to corporate ABC might be interesting--letting them know that some of their most popular programs were unavailable in HD in our market... then again, no one cares about our market because it's so small...

So bend over, we're screwed all around!

Actually, the FCC might be interested in their extended downtime...
post #466 of 2235 Old 10-21-2006, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:

Actually, the FCC might be interested in their extended downtime...

The FCC allows a station 10 days in a row to be off the air without notification.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #467 of 2235 Old 10-21-2006, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You can relax guys. WWAY-DT is back on-the-air and with the game in HD (snow and all). They probably had equipment failure and had to wait on delivery of parts. Can't always get parts within a day or two. I bet the transmitter fell off and broke. They would have to find huge, huge crane, wait for it to be set up, repair the mounting hardware on the tower (2000 ft hight!), order and wait on new transmitter (which was probably on backorder), get an electrical crew, mount it, wire it up, test it. Thats gotta take atleast two to three days. Given all that, being back on air in four days is pretty impressve.
post #468 of 2235 Old 10-21-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

WPDE? We're talking about WWAY...

Thanks for the info foxeng...
post #469 of 2235 Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

WPDE? We're talking about WWAY...

Thanks for the info foxeng...

Sorry, I ment WWAY. Editted my post to correct that.
post #470 of 2235 Old 10-23-2006, 12:54 PM

Hi guys,

I found the board a few days ago and just wanted to chime in and thank you for posting info here. I just got an HD card for my 'puter and was having trouble getting the local network affiliates. Thanks to you, I didn't spend a lot of fruitless hours trying to get WWAY.

I worked at WWAY several years ago (Billy was there then... I think some of you know him) and the engineering staff has their hands full. I'm sure that the change in ownership along with the relatively new chief engineer hasn't helped matters much. They are all good guys, but at times their hands are either full or tied by the resources available to them.
post #471 of 2235 Old 10-23-2006, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, Billy use to post here and the ilmhd forum until he left WWAY.
post #472 of 2235 Old 10-23-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leechard View Post

I worked at WWAY several years ago (Billy was there then... I think some of you know him) and the engineering staff has their hands full. I'm sure that the change in ownership along with the relatively new chief engineer hasn't helped matters much. They are all good guys, but at times their hands are either full or tied by the resources available to them.

I was thinking those reasons were mainly the problem, and that's why I went easy
on the station. Maybe they can keep the signal up for good this time.
post #473 of 2235 Old 10-23-2006, 04:59 PM

Billy is a great guy and a talented engineer. He's a pretty good bass player too.

Shooting emails to the GM is the best way to communicate, IMHO. He's ultimately responsible for the performance of the station, but then again, he can only do as much as the owners will allow.

I worked at WRAL in Raleigh too... now there's a place where the owner is eager to keep on the cutting edge and willing to spend the cash to do it.
post #474 of 2235 Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Too bad WRAL won't spend a little bit of money on their affiliate here in WILM... considering they were the first station in the country to go digital and HD...(if I recall correctly)

I think Billy is now in Asheville...

There's a great amount of truth in the idea that the station management does not fully support its engineers, either directly, or indirectly...

What it comes down to--and this is based on my personal communications over the years with various people at all the local stations--is that compared to analog, DT and HD does not make MORE money for the stations. Therefore, they don't care beyond what the FCC requires...

Note that I say station management, not the engineers...

The other strange thing I found (again, based on personal communications), is that stations--especially for the SAME network--would not collaborate on issues of bringing up DT/HD. In the early days, WWAY definitely had their issues (hardware/PSIP e.g.) compared to other locals, but they either could not, or would not try to solve their problems by talking with other ABC affiliates.

I find that kinda strange, IF the station was interested in serving their customer.

Hard to not draw the conclusion that the transition to DT/HD was not a priority for some stations, even in the face of FCC deadlines.
post #475 of 2235 Old 10-23-2006, 06:36 PM

You are absolutely right. Most stations didn't meet the original HD deadlines and they were pushed back. HD was something that most stations knew would cost a lot of money, so they put it off as long as possible. Until analog goes dead (whatever that deadline actually resolves to) , it won't generate a profit for them... or at least not a big one.

WRAL was an exception. You're right. They were the first in the nation with a HD license and the first HD signal on the air. They were also the first to do their news in HD. Mr. Goodman has poured a lot of money into his station with the philosophy that it should be the best local station anywhere. It was a great place to work. Everything really does trickle down from the top.

I wish they would do more with WILM too. I don't have any inside information or anything like that, but I imagine that they'll do something in this market in the future. And when they decide to go full throttle with it, it'll be done right.

Stations that share the same network affiliation have different owners and the ownership will trump the network affiliation every time. Especially if they are competing in multiple markets.
post #476 of 2235 Old 10-23-2006, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

If Capitol would make a move with a CBS it would put the pressure on WWAY and WECT to start giving viewers more as well. They might want to do something sooner rather than later before another company decides to come in and open up a full power. It's too bad that nielsen
ratings group only has a five county area defined as the Wilmington market. If one or two more counties were added that might make all the difference.
post #477 of 2235 Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 AM

anyone know who I could call locally to get an antenna set up correctly at my house
I am not really sure the best way to get the cable into my house and rather then mess with it I think I would rather just pay someone
post #478 of 2235 Old 10-24-2006, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Beer Pizza and Wings, You never know what some of us will do for the right price.

Incus!
post #479 of 2235 Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 PM

do you think that if I got the
Channel Master model 4228
that I would be able to pick up the cbs from Myrtle Beach / Florance my zip is 28412
I am getting ready to pull the trigger and just want to make sure I am getting the right thing
post #480 of 2235 Old 10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

If your going to try to get them the CM 4228 or the antennas direct 91XG would be the ones
to go with I think.

What is wrong with WSFX-DT?? I turned them on just now and the station disappeared and when I enter 30 on my set it just jumps to channel 2! No picture.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page