Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2218 Old 04-03-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Wow!,

I abandon the forums for a few days and people are actually carrying conversations. Not just one way.

Whats the QAM situation with charter?

Anyone have a confirmed list. I did see someone posted list of timewarner qam in ILM over at the silicon dust forums.

I am strongly considering the HDHomerun and reselling my MYHD MDP100.

Great to have you back on board billy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2218 Old 04-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
mdp-100 probably isn't worth much since it's so old... with the mdp-130 being available... might be worth more as a backup...

The HDHomeRun looks interesting... if you watch tv on your computer... I prefer to watch HD on my tv... and the big advantage to me of the mdp is that it's hardware based, and can be used on an old beater of a computer if necessary, and also it has its own video output, no special video card needed...

On another note, CBS/WILM seems to be only marginally improved. One one hand, this means that the BB game last night was exceptional (video-wise), and for some reason, way better than regular network programming.

NCIS had the usual sunburned look, which is a known problem with the source. The Unit was only a little bit better, still blotches on faces. CSI Miami... well, they mess with color tint/saturation anyway.

Seems like there's still something wrong.

My conversation with the engineer (not Pete) was very brief, didn't have a chance to talk much about what they found, but if I recall correctly, I believe he made a remark about WILM originating primetime programming? Meaning it's not passed to them from WRAL? This might explain why WRAL news isn't in HD on WILM--the feed directly from WRAL isn't HD?

Trying to logically figure out the video chain, and possible problem areas...

We need to get one of the engineers from WRAL on the forum...
post #633 of 2218 Old 04-03-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post

On another note, CBS/WILM seems to be only marginally improved. One one hand, this means that the BB game last night was exceptional (video-wise), and for some reason, way better than regular network programming.

NCIS had the usual sunburned look, which is a known problem with the source. The Unit was only a little bit better, still blotches on faces. CSI Miami... well, they mess with color tint/saturation anyway.

Seems like there's still something wrong.

My conversation with the engineer (not Pete) was very brief, didn't have a chance to talk much about what they found, but if I recall correctly, I believe he made a remark about WILM originating primetime programming? Meaning it's not passed to them from WRAL? This might explain why WRAL news isn't in HD on WILM--the feed directly from WRAL isn't HD?

I agree WILM is better but not much.
post #634 of 2218 Old 04-04-2007, 08:15 AM

ok i need a little help if possible...

just got a cm 4228 and a cm spartan3 preamp... im fairly proficient with technology but not sure what 'exactly' to do. anyone mind hooking me up with a few tips. thanks in advance!!!

JD

eta. ok i hooked it all up .. upstairs and it works pretty good. i get 3.1 and 26.1. i guess what i am asking is how hard is it to put it out on a mast.
post #635 of 2218 Old 04-04-2007, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

[quote=MarcS]mdp-100 probably isn't worth much since it's so old... with the mdp-130 being available... might be worth more as a backup...

The HDHomeRun looks interesting... if you watch tv on your computer... I prefer to watch HD on my tv... and the big advantage to me of the mdp is that it's hardware based, and can be used on an old beater of a computer if necessary, and also it has its own video output, no special video card needed...

HDHomerun - runs over cat5 to any pc in the house. I fully intended it for HTPC usage. I dont use the video outputs on the MYHD at all!. I just piggyback vga to a geforce 6600GT and before that an ati 9200 radeon. Works fine. Full screen passthrough is nice, but I think the dual tuners is more valuable and with cpus so powerful today, who cares about hardware vs. software decoding.

Heck I can o/c a 2.8 to 3150MHZ / single core. and almost do 1080p. even though i dont have a display capable of that resolution. Heck i dont even have DVI/HDMI. Its all component on my main set. I have a 50 sammy that does have HDMI upstairs though.

Ive heard really good stuff about the hdhomerun. I would be willing to bet I can get 70 bucks for the MYHD. I bought it for 125 a few years back. You are right though it might be worth keeping for that though.

I made some cash this week on cpu repairs, hometheater install/antenna work. So i might treat myself.

post #636 of 2218 Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 AM

ESPN2 HD is now in the TWC HD package.
post #637 of 2218 Old 04-05-2007, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

HDHomerun - runs over cat5 to any pc in the house. I fully intended it for HTPC usage. I dont use the video outputs on the MYHD at all!. I just piggyback vga to a geforce 6600GT and before that an ati 9200 radeon. Works fine. Full screen passthrough is nice, but I think the dual tuners is more valuable and with cpus so powerful today, who cares about hardware vs. software decoding.

Heck I can o/c a 2.8 to 3150MHZ / single core. and almost do 1080p. even though i dont have a display capable of that resolution. Heck i dont even have DVI/HDMI. Its all component on my main set. I have a 50 sammy that does have HDMI upstairs though.

Ive heard really good stuff about the hdhomerun. I would be willing to bet I can get 70 bucks for the MYHD. I bought it for 125 a few years back. You are right though it might be worth keeping for that though.

I made some cash this week on cpu repairs, hometheater install/antenna work. So i might treat myself.

I never could get my 6600GT to output properly to my tv via component... finally gave up... it was just way easier to use the output of the MyHD card, and so ends the story of using a PC as an "HTPC"...

I ripped a few DVD's to it (my computer), and watch them through the MyHD card--which some argued had equal or better output than any software/plugin combo... I also play rented DVD's via the MyHD card.

For me, simplicity won out... eventually I'm sure I'll get a tv with HDMI input, then I'll just pick up a DVD player that upconverts...
post #638 of 2218 Old 04-05-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Marc,

I had opposite problem.

Bought a vga to bnc / rca cable convertor thinking I would not need a transcoder at all with the myhd card. Long story short. Mitsubishi tv and myhd card wouldnt play nice. would sync for about 4-5 seconds then loose the sync.

Ended up going with an audio authority VGA to component transcoder. All is perfect now. Like you though I will retire the trascoder sooner than later hopefully for a set with HDMI.

thanks for the feedback though.

I really want to find out whats out there on QAM on charter.

post #639 of 2218 Old 04-05-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I bought a rotator at Lowes for $50. I plan to hook it up this weekend and stack antennas. I hope to gain WECT most of the time at least, and hope to pull in Raleigh stuff better. I will post my results when done.
post #640 of 2218 Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Billy,
What happened to the Super Doppler 3 radar sweep? Did the motor burn out, cause I don't see it on the screen anymore? I found that during Severe weather this radar was faster and more accurate than any other. Sometimes during a lighter rain it didn't register very well however. It may have just needed a tune up.
post #641 of 2218 Old 04-07-2007, 08:28 PM

Quote:

WILM still looks fairly blotchy. Still worse than any other HD I see.

I also wonder why we can't get WECT or WILM deliver DD 5.1 Fox and ABC are in 5.1
post #642 of 2218 Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I was able to get WECT-DT last night after 6PM to come in steady, even with the poor conditions. Also I pulled in WRDC (MyRDC) DT after 8PM steadily, and stronger than WECT even though it is over 90 miles from here. So far I'm pleased with the rotator. It has a digital compass and wireless remote. It only takes five to ten seconds to tune in the channels. I decided not to stack because the antenna would have been to close together, and the rotor said only 3 feet of mast on top? Anyway I can get high band analog and analog channel 6 even shows up a little with nothing but a UHF antenna. LOL Everything is a little stronger since I did away with the splitter and second antenna combination.
post #643 of 2218 Old 04-08-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I decided not to stack because the antenna would have been to close together, and the rotor said only 3 feet of mast on top? Anyway I can get high band analog and analog channel 6 even shows up a little with nothing but a UHF antenna. LOL Everything is a little stronger since I did away with the splitter and second antenna combination.

Are you using the Channel Master rotor? If so that is the same one I am using. I took a 10 foot mast and put the VHF at the top of the rotor and put my 4228 at the top of the mast (check out the pik in the Greenville thread) and haven't had any problems. That 4228 isn't a heavy antenna at all and it has been in that configuration for over 3 years.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #644 of 2218 Old 04-08-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you using the Channel Master rotor?

Yep, the channel master 9521A. I used the Channel Master 4221 bowtie with it. I'm very satisfied with this set-up. I am kind of afraid to go as high as you did over the roof with all the storms we get around here. I'm not sure that it would make any difference, being all the networks are coming in, and I get more than anyone else around here that has cable and dish. The only channel I lost by going this way was WRAL analog.
post #645 of 2218 Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is WWAY-DT 3.1 not doing PSIP program data?
post #646 of 2218 Old 04-08-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is WWAY-DT 3.1 not doing PSIP program data?

I don't get any from them most times. I also don't get good data from WSFX.
post #647 of 2218 Old 04-09-2007, 06:54 AM

Although WILM is slightly improved the Masters still had quite a bit of blotchy skin tone and the greens looked strange. My son in law in Chicago said the colors were great on Comcast Chicago. Any bets WRAL is running a highly compressed low bandwidth signal over from Raleigh? Does anybody see CBS HD off air? Or have seen the picture in Raleigh?

Also I searched the discussion board and haven't found anything. Does anybody know why neither WECT or WILM have DD 5.1? Seems like something they should have by now?
post #648 of 2218 Old 04-10-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstratton View Post

I took some time at lunch to tap into a source on our switcher to add a second GPI trigger for HD in primetime programming. I would like for you or anyone that watches tonight's ABC lineup to let me know if you see the SD/HD slideshow again. I can't test it at this point in the day since we are not in HD again till primetime starts. I found me a "roundtoit".
!

Billy,

ABC had 0 hd tonight. Everything is in SD. Did you guys lose the HD feed?
post #649 of 2218 Old 04-11-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Dancing w/ Stars wasn't in HD out of New Bern either. I'm not sure about the other shows.
post #650 of 2218 Old 04-11-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ABC was having network problems last night.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #651 of 2218 Old 04-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

WILM doesn't have DD5.1 because they don't have the equipment (so I was told...), I assume it's the same reason for WECT...

CBS still looks bad... which reminds me, I'll have to reply to Pete's email that the component replacement did not fix the problem.

I had other problems last night, like trying to find where TW cable remapped WWAY and WECT HD--since I use a QAM capable computer card, it doesn't know what happened...

Did a complete rescan of all digital cable channels, and had to go through one by one and select them to see if I could find either station, which I couldn't. So now I have to use an antenna input for WWAY and WECT, and cable for WILM and WSFX...

Some days I think I'll just give up on tv... I'd try to get some help from TW cable, but can you imagine if I asked the question "where did you remap WWAY and WECT HD?"

Huh????????? So you say you aren't using a cable box? You have a "tuner card"?
Huh????????
post #652 of 2218 Old 04-11-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:

WILM doesn't have DD5.1 because they don't have the equipment (so I was told...), I assume it's the same reason for WECT...

CBS still looks bad... which reminds me, I'll have to reply to Pete's email that the component replacement did not fix the problem.

??

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:13 PM
To: Sockett, Peter
Subject: RE: Poor quality HD signal

Peter,

The picture though slightly better is still quite blotchy. The area that looks the worst is skin tones. Particularly on people with darker complexions. WILM just isn't nearly as good as other the other networks.

Thanks, I've got one of my guys looking at it.
Peter A. Sockett

Chief Engineer

WRAL-TV & WRAL DT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post #653 of 2218 Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Rich for motivating me to send off an email to Pete... I just sent it...

I threw out a few potential clues for him, which I'll share here, in case anyone else might notice the same as me...

First is that the quality of the image seems to improve later in the evening, e.g., the 8pm program sucks, the 9pm isn't so bad, and by 10pm the picture looks half decent. (this is NOT because I'm on my third bourbon and coke by then! )

Second is that I've noticed the HD commercials look a lot better than regular network programming.

What we don't have a problem identifying is that faces look bad, but to be more specific, it's generally only the highlights, like cheekbones, foreheads, etc... the areas that physically stand out on the face, that also might have higher brightness levels. But also the converse would be the very dark areas that seem to glow green...

I caught a few glances at Ghost Whisperer with Camryn Manheim guest starring, and there was a dark scene that made her look like she had raccoon eyes!

Hopefully they'll find the problem...
post #654 of 2218 Old 04-12-2007, 04:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you could send him some screen caps, that might help him. Just a thought.

post #655 of 2218 Old 04-12-2007, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

If you could send him some screen caps, that might help him. Just a thought.

I offered twice to record a program and send an exerpt of the transport stream file... I haven't played around with the various editors lately, but could probably extract a single image. But I'd rather send a couple second "raw" stream so it's not in any way further degraded by converting a screen capture into a jpeg file of some sort...

I don't want to send anything before I get a formal request to do so...
post #656 of 2218 Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:

I offered twice to record a program and send an exerpt of the transport stream file... I haven't played around with the various editors lately, but could probably extract a single image. But I'd rather send a couple second "raw" stream so it's not in any way further degraded by converting a screen capture into a jpeg file of some sort...

I don't want to send anything before I get a formal request to do so...

I sincerely hope they can just walk up to a monitor somewhere and see the quality of the video. I can't imagine they would not have the ability to monitor what they are sending out.

But, then again, there was a time where I didn't know a single technical person at WWAY who seemed to know what was going on with their HD signal!
post #657 of 2218 Old 04-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

I've run into that issue in the past also, where a stream (whether video or audio) will be "monitored", but it's the input stream, not output from a transmitter.

Just a few days ago I alerted our local NWS office that the weather radio transmission was dead, he then put on the audio for a few seconds, which we both could obviously hear, but that didn't answer the question of whether it was coming out of the transmitter (it wasn't)...

Monitoring the feed isn't enough, it has to be the final output from the antenna... even then, it must be on an HD monitor or tv...
post #658 of 2218 Old 04-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

CBS looks maybe slightly better, but still sunburned faces.

NBC (WECT) tonight is windowboxed for me--not full screen HD...

WWAY is ok!!

WUNJ (UNC tv) HD seems to be ok OTA, but on TW cable it breaks up every few seconds. WUNJ xmitter was offline a week or two ago while WECT (I think it was them) worked on their antenna--something about protecting the workers???? What's a little RF while high on a tower???

I've been in touch with Wayne Estabrooks and he's got people looking into the situation...
post #659 of 2218 Old 04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Last week one day I remember that WWAY and WSFX were off the air for analog antenna work.
I didn't knwo WECT was going to be doing work? No wonder I haven't picked them up lately!
post #660 of 2218 Old 04-22-2007, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Maybe this will be the answer to WILM's video quality problems? (In today's Wilmington paper)

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page