Wilmington, NC - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 2218 Old 05-11-2007, 12:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hate TWC; they are a bunch of crooks that continually raise prices while at the same time reducing services. If there was any market competition for cable they wouldn't be able to rape the consumer like they do. I'm sure you guys know all of this, but I just had to vent.

Does anyone know if Direct TV is going to add local HD channels anytime soon? I see that back to the future add all the time, but I don't know if that applies to Wilmington. I would love to get Direct TV just so I could tell TWC what they can do from now on with my $130 bill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2218 Old 05-11-2007, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
att will roll out their IPTV service within lext 12-16 months. Directv should have wilmington market up by mid next year. They say end of year but I dont believe that for one sec. We are pretty low on the DMA list. 137-139??

Call belllsouth get 6mbit dsl for 42. suspend your tel line on vacation plan use your cell phone, and do OTA for a while. DOwnload what your missing on CBS and build an HTPC or use Xbox with xbmc for source. There are options. Time Warner doesnt own you.

Look into beyond TV or Sage for PVR on your PC. Get a HDHOMERUN for qam recording. sorry for the short answers . Off to work.

post #723 of 2218 Old 05-11-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the help. It's nice to know that TWC won't be the only option for years to go.
post #724 of 2218 Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

Call belllsouth get 6mbit dsl for 42. .

Be a little careful about the 6mbit. If you are close to a central office and have new plant you can get close to that but speed drops pretty fast with distance and plant condition.
post #725 of 2218 Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

bellsouth has remote dslams just about everywhere needed on the south side of town. i get roughly 760-800 kbps round the clock, but you are right distance will hurt ya to some extent.

reminder to sell - still need to test out the hdhomerun on a qam system on charter.

Charter want to nickel and dime me for basic install and charge truck roll fee . Forget it. Ill make do with OTA and directv.

post #726 of 2218 Old 05-14-2007, 10:28 AM

I decided it was time to join this excellent form on HDTV and comment on some recent issues.

There have been problems with RF interference (called ingress when affecting coax signal feeds) on Time Warner Cable (TWC) as Billy so accurately described a few messages ago. I have been in contact with the Lead Head Tech and they are very much aware of the problem and working to correct it. If you are having problems, don't hesitate to call TWC customer service and if they tell you it is a station problem, tell them they are wrong on this one and insist on a service call - that is likely the only way you are going to get it fixed. They will need to improve the RF wiring and/or add traps to eliminate the local interference.

FYI, we feed TWC HD signals for WECT and WSFX by fiber from our studios here on Shipyard Blvd so even if our transmitters are down they continue to receive our signal for re-transmission.
post #727 of 2218 Old 05-14-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulltron View Post

I decided it was time to join this excellent form on HDTV and comment on some recent issues.

There have been problems with RF interference (called ingress when affecting coax signal feeds) on Time Warner Cable (TWC) as Billy so accurately described a few messages ago. I have been in contact with the Lead Head Tech and they are very much aware of the problem and working to correct it. If you are having problems, don't hesitate to call TWC customer service and if they tell you it is a station problem, tell them they are wrong on this one and insist on a service call - that is likely the only way you are going to get it fixed. They will need to improve the RF wiring and/or add traps to eliminate the local interference.

FYI, we feed TWC HD signals for WECT and WSFX by fiber from our studios here on Shipyard Blvd so even if our transmitters are down they continue to receive our signal for re-transmission.

Thanks for the information. Will be sure to push TWC if they just finger point.

Quick question. Any target date for WECT to go 5.1? Sure do miss NBC in 5.1 since we moved here a couple of years ago.
post #728 of 2218 Old 05-14-2007, 12:38 PM

Definitely on our to do list. I'm sorry we don't have this up already but we are a bit stretched. I certainly hope to have it up some time this summer.
post #729 of 2218 Old 05-14-2007, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Dan?
post #730 of 2218 Old 05-14-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hello ulltron! An FYI--WSFX is one of my most watched channels. Excellent reception up here 60 miles away!

A question, do you plan to integrate a WSFX logo into the HD feed? So far all I've seen is either the blue or white FOX bug on network HD. Most of it is cut off too.
post #731 of 2218 Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM

Hello. I live in the Winnabow (really more like Leland) area about 5 miles down HWY 133 headed south towards Southport. I am a DirecTV subscriber and therefore I do not get my local channels in HD. I just recenlty purchased four different OTA antennas, both indoor and outdoor types, and was surprised to find that the $9.96 indoor non-amplified Phillips antenna from Walmart performed just as well as the others. I get all the major stations (WUNJ-DT, WWAY-DT, WSFX-DT) with 75-80% signal strength in HD except for WECT, the one that I cared about the most. I cant pick WECT up at all. It is channel 6.1, right? Is anyone in the area experiencing this same problem? I dont understand why I am recieving WUNJ-DT but not WECT-DT because according to antennaweb they are broadcasting from the same tower. Man, I'd really like to be able to watch The Office in HD! Any help would be appreciated.
post #732 of 2218 Old 05-18-2007, 06:50 AM
Advanced Member

What are you using as a tuner? Built-in to tv, standalone box, etc?

Have you just done an auto-scan?

Have you tried to manually add the channel?

For me, the signal strenght on WECT is about 1/2 the strength on average compared to the other stations, yet always seems to be more stable... I'm around the Monkey Junction area.
post #733 of 2218 Old 05-18-2007, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

A question, do you plan to integrate a WSFX logo into the HD feed? So far all I've seen is either the blue or white FOX bug on network HD. Most of it is cut off too.

You are actually ASKING the station to add another logo on the screen to help obscure the programming image?

Whether it's see-through or not, it still is distracting to the eyes to have any logo, let alone multiple ones...
post #734 of 2218 Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caison View Post

Hello. I live in the Winnabow (really more like Leland) area about 5 miles down HWY 133 headed south towards Southport. I am a DirecTV subscriber and therefore I do not get my local channels in HD. I just recenlty purchased four different OTA antennas, both indoor and outdoor types, and was surprised to find that the $9.96 indoor non-amplified Phillips antenna from Walmart performed just as well as the others. I get all the major stations (WUNJ-DT, WWAY-DT, WSFX-DT) with 75-80% signal strength in HD except for WECT, the one that I cared about the most. I cant pick WECT up at all. It is channel 6.1, right? Is anyone in the area experiencing this same problem? I dont understand why I am recieving WUNJ-DT but not WECT-DT because according to antennaweb they are broadcasting from the same tower. Man, I'd really like to be able to watch The Office in HD! Any help would be appreciated.

I rarerly get WECT. I don't understand it either, because I get WUNJ very strong. I know that WECT is aimed toward the west, and is running at a weaker power than WUNJ is, but still it is very rare that I can lock it. I use an outside antenna with a rotor and channel master mast mounted amp.

You might try entering in channel 44, because that's their frequency.
post #735 of 2218 Old 05-18-2007, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post

You are actually ASKING the station to add another logo on the screen to help obscure the programming image?

Whether it's see-through or not, it still is distracting to the eyes to have any logo, let alone multiple ones...

There's going to be a logo anyway, whether it be the FOX logo or the FOX 26 logo. The local is supposed to submit their own bug to take the place of the network bug. From what I understand, the blue bug isn't even supposed to make it on air. FOX 50 in Raleigh has submitted their own bug, and it is very small. It looks like this:

FOX 50
Digital
post #736 of 2218 Old 05-18-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:

What are you using as a tuner? Built-in to tv, standalone box, etc?

Have you just done an auto-scan?

Have you tried to manually add the channel?

For me, the signal strenght on WECT is about 1/2 the strength on average compared to the other stations, yet always seems to be more stable... I'm around the Monkey Junction area.

Right now I am using the tuner that is built into my TV, but I plan on using the tuner in my DirecTV HR20 when I get a new one to replace the current one that I am having problems with.

I did auto-scan to detect all the digital channels and then I tried to manually add 6.1 which I thought was WECT. Is it not?
post #737 of 2218 Old 05-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

6.1 is their virtual channel, the physical channel is 44... that could be why you couldn't add it... I think usually you have to add using the physical channel...

With the computer tuner card I use, sometimes it won't pick up a channel on auto scan, so I add it manually...

Re: Fox logo being "small"--I guess that's all relative... on a 58" screen, logos tend to take up a pretty good chunk of real estate.

Haven't noticed lately if UNC-TV has reduced the size of their HD logo, but last time I measure it, it was 9" wide on my screen...

On the WECT issue, can any engineer comment on whether living too close to the towers would put you "under" the signal?

Does the signal radiate perfectly downward at the tower? (I think probably not?)

If Caison lives to the East of the tower (in the "suckout" zone of the radiation pattern), is it possible he's "underneath" the signal? To the extent that his reception is weak?
post #738 of 2218 Old 05-19-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulltron View Post

WECT and the Preakness
Just a comment on today's Preakness in HD. Every time the scroll advisng people to "stay tuned for local news after the preakness" ran the picture would drop to SD and the sound would be knocked out for the transition back and forth.

There has to be a better way to do this? Switching in and out of HD with dropped sound can't be the best way to present a major event?

Thanks!
post #739 of 2218 Old 05-19-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

On the WECT issue, can any engineer comment on whether living too close to the towers would put you "under" the signal?

Does the signal radiate perfectly downward at the tower? (I think probably not?)

If Caison lives to the East of the tower (in the "suckout" zone of the radiation pattern), is it possible he's "underneath" the signal? To the extent that his reception is weak?

There are always some downward radiation, but 99.5% of the signal goes straight out from the antenna. If it didn't, you won't have any signal away from the tower. I would say he has more multipath than anything else, not lack of signal.

Here is WECT's elevation pattern on file with the FCC. As you look at the graph, imagine the tower and antenna has been laid out horizontally on the ground and the big lobe is the antenna and you can see how much downward radiation there is at lower levels on the tower.

This is also why the Denver NIMBY group didn't really have a technical leg to stand on when they talked about all of the "downward" radiation that would give them cancer and everything else. That graph is based on 2000 ft. In Denver, it was higher than that because of the 10,000 ft mountain. Just doesn't happen that way.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #740 of 2218 Old 05-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Is it possible for multipath to be worse closer to the tower than further away?
post #741 of 2218 Old 05-19-2007, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I believe it is, because it seems people closer in have a harder time than those of us 40 to 60 miles away. I think they get too many reflections. That's why I think when your close in you need a yagi antenna with a narrow beam.
post #742 of 2218 Old 05-20-2007, 03:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is it possible for multipath to be worse closer to the tower than further away?

Yes because of the stronger reflections. Remember that receivers are very sensitive. They have to be when you get out on the fringe of a signal. If you live in the shadow of a tower, even the low levels of RF that is on the ground under a tower can and do overpower a receiver because the receiver is sucking in signals, so to speak, as if it were away from the tower because it doesn't know it isn't. So you either have to reduce the signal level to allow the internal AGC to work as if it were away from the tower or reduce the multipath so the receiver isn't overloaded with all of these ghost signals or a combination of the two.

In analog you see the multipath clearly when under a tower. Lots and lots of ghosts in all different colors because the signal is being distorted in the receiver due to the signal level (receiver overload) and amount of different signals due to the signals being reflected off of everything including the walls in your house and your neighbors houses (and even you and your family as you walk around the house) at the close distance. The same holds true for digital, but in that case, the receiver doesn't know how to decode the distorted multiple signals it is receiving so it decodes nothing or macroblocks at best.

We have this same problem in transmitter buildings. That is why we pull a low level sample directly off the transmitter into a receiver. Too much overload and multipath.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #743 of 2218 Old 05-20-2007, 03:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

I believe it is, because it seems people closer in have a harder time than those of us 40 to 60 miles away. I think they get too many reflections. That's why I think when your close in you need a yagi antenna with a narrow beam.

A yagi complicates the situation because the yagi has gain and at this point, you have too much signal to start with. If you are going to use a directional antenna of any type to reduce multipath in a close in situation, you have to have attenuators in the line to knock the signal down to at least match the gain of the antenna. If the antenna has a gain of 12 db, you need at least a 12 db pad to equalize things back out. These things can be done and done easily, you just have to know what you are doing and don't make a bad situation worse, like using 300 ohm twin lead through a metal window under a tower. You will never get a usable signal for many reasons using that setup. (Unshield cable through a metal coil that acts as a second non adjustable antenna, just to name a few!)

The name of the game is to manipulate the signal by restricting signal level and keeping additional unwanted multipath signals from engressing into the system including stray RF directly into the receiver through the receiver case. You want all of the signal coming through shielded cable so you can work with it. It isn't rocket science, but you need to stop and think what you are doing.

The Internet is a wonderful tool! That is why you are here isn't it?

post #744 of 2218 Old 05-20-2007, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep! I'm kind of glad I don't live too close though!
post #745 of 2218 Old 05-24-2007, 07:30 PM

I just want to find out if you are seeing what I am or if it's me/my setup. When I'm watching a local news broadcast on the HD channels, WWAY and WECT look so much worse than when I flip to WILM and see the WRAL broadcast. The previously filmed news segments look ok, but the actual sitting at the desk and reporting looks pretty crummy. I have no desire to watch the Raleigh news, I just happened to notice recently that it is much clearer. Has anyone else noticed that? Is it a problem which will be addressed or is it something I'll have to get used to? I am aware that WILM had problems with HD until very recently, by the way. I have an LCD and get my signals through Time Warner...
post #746 of 2218 Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

WRAL originates its news in HD. WECT and WWAY upconvert SD. You will see a difference in PQ.

post #747 of 2218 Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Indy 500 in HD this weekend?

All,

I have decided to partways with my HTPC case. Its a Kanam/Ahanix HT200/D4

Please pm me or do search over at forums.anandtech.com for details.

Search for keyword "HTPC in F/S forum and "Gr8snakee" userid

Local pickup in wilmington would make this a deal at the price I am asking. I also have a MYHD card for cheap as well. MDP100

Comes with bonus slot-load dvd drive made be aopen that has been flashed with pioneer firmware for regionfree and spindown feature as a bonus.

I will miss this case and if I were to set up two htpcs it would rock, but im not. My wife already hates me for our electric bill.

Everyone have a fantastic weekend.

post #748 of 2218 Old 05-26-2007, 03:11 PM

OK, I'm back. I made a post a couple of weeks ago describing my problem with not being able to pick up WECT at my home in Winnabow with my set top antenna. After doing some reading I decided that I would give the Radio Shack U-75R antenna a shot (only $30). So I ran some RG6 up to the attic and attached the antenna to a mast high in the top of my attic. Wow, now I get WECT @ 85%, FOX @ 90-95%, and PBS at 100% with all of them being rock solid stable. Now I'm having trouble staying locked on WWAY! The signal for WWAY jumps around from 0-75+%. It's really annoying because the picture keep pixelating. I am only about 6.1 miles from their tower, so what I think that I am experiencing is multipath. Does this sound like multipath? If so, is there any way around this or am I just going to have to decide which channel I want the most, WWAY or WECT? Do you think a non-yagi antenna like a Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF two bay antenna would work better to reduce multipath, or is a yagi best in this situation? ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! I'm almost ready to pull my hair out here. Thanks.
post #749 of 2218 Old 05-27-2007, 11:10 AM

Billy,

After watching almost an hour of the Indy Race in very very bad SD I called the newsroom and they immediately switched back to HD.

I thought the switcher was automatic? Did somebody override it and leave in SD?
post #750 of 2218 Old 05-27-2007, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post

Billy,

After watching almost an hour of the Indy Race in very very bad SD I called the newsroom and they immediately switched back to HD.

I thought the switcher was automatic? Did somebody override it and leave in SD?

And it is back in SD again! Called the newsroom again. But so far it's still SD. I know it is HD on the network as my son inlaw has it on in Chicago.

GEEEEEEEZ! My favorite motor even of the year!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page