Forum Jump: 

post #1921 of 2235 Old 02-01-2010, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
7 years later and we still don't have dolby digital on WILM for the Superbowl:

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/archives...Superbowl.HTML

Maybe CBS should stop wasting all the extra money this costs to broadcast? Just a thought............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2235 Old 02-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Is it just me or is WECT's OTA feed dead during the NCS vs GT game I'm trying to watch?
post #1923 of 2235 Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmonster View Post

Is it just me or is WECT's OTA feed dead during the NCS vs GT game I'm trying to watch?

Can't tell uou about OTA but it is on TW cable.
post #1924 of 2235 Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
It is just you... I'm getting the game fine OTA on WECT...
post #1925 of 2235 Old 02-06-2010, 03:26 PM

Looks like I need to go up to the attic and kick my antenna.
post #1926 of 2235 Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm getting WECT 95% with no signal problem up in Jax. Raycom had a problem earlier with the game from VA.
post #1927 of 2235 Old 02-06-2010, 04:09 PM

Not sure why I'm getting all the other locals near 100% but WECT is flat lining me? Over the last couple of weeks my signal from WECT has been coming and going while the other locals have been just fine. Will report back after I have a chance to screw with my DB4 antenna.
post #1928 of 2235 Old 02-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Can't really say what my problem was with WECT over the weekend. Saturday night and since WECT is back at 100% with no adjustment of my antenna. Maybe I'm in a spot where if they raise the bridge downtown or a big ship on the Cape Fear passes it kills my siginal.
post #1929 of 2235 Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can't really say what my problem was with WECT over the weekend. Saturday night and since WECT is back at 100% with no adjustment of my antenna. Maybe I'm in a spot where if they raise the bridge downtown or a big ship on the Cape Fear passes it kills my siginal.

It's weird when that happens. I had a similar problem with WNCT last night during the superbowl. All other channels were normal, just CBS 9.1 was very low. I wonder if ham radios or something similar cause these rare occurrences?
post #1930 of 2235 Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Got it on 26 with the Two & 1/2 men show, and they seem to be testing out HD alerts and such. They've got it going all the way across the screen, so I wonder if it will work when FOX networks take over at 8PM?
post #1931 of 2235 Old 03-02-2010, 05:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspenc View Post

got it on 26 with the two & 1/2 men show, and they seem to be testing out hd alerts and such. They've got it going all the way across the screen, so i wonder if it will work when fox networks take over at 8pm?

99.9% no.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1932 of 2235 Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

99.9% no.

Darn. I wonder if WSFX is just getting it ready for a later date?
post #1933 of 2235 Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The issue is the splicer doesn't allow stations to do that. The splicer's HD signal is inserted past the station's HD master switcher so anything done on the switcher with the splicer on line isn't seen. Since FOX doesn't provide a HD feed for crawls and such, the only way to do it is to take the splicer off line and take the SD signal that FOX does provide and run it through the switcher that way. FOX's recommended way to do it is to take a full screen 16:9 HD graphic and put the SD network feed in 4:3 in a box.

This is not unique to WSFX, but all FOX affiliates, including us, even though we do have a HD master switcher and HD weather graphics and crawls, just not during network!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #1934 of 2235 Old 03-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

The splicer's HD signal is inserted past the station's HD master switcher so anything done on the switcher with the splicer on line isn't seen.

An inquiring mind would like to know - why is this the case? I don't know much about TV, only radio, and there you can input whatever, wherever you well please.
post #1935 of 2235 Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post

An inquiring mind would like to know - why is this the case? I don't know much about TV, only radio, and there you can input whatever, wherever you well please.

Unlike the other networks, FOX provides a network HD signal that is ATSC ready (actually it is a pre-encoded 15mbps ASI signal, but for simplicity, lets just call it ATSC) meaning the signal that comes out of the receiver can be directly put into the ATSC digital transmitter unlike the other networks who require decoding the signal back to HD-SDI (1.5 Gbps) to run through the Master switcher and then encoding it to a 15-18 mbps ATSC signal (an ASI signal FOX already provides to stations) and then on to the transmitter.

The FOX Network ATSC ready signal is inserted into a splicer that is located as close to the transmitter as possible and takes the stations ATSC signal (after the switcher and encoder) and then removes the local stations picture and sound and "splice" in the network picture and sound into the signal (not switched as with the other networks).

Since HD Master controls use a signal call HD-SDI, that isn't compatible with ATSC, you have to drop back to SD (that is the only SDI signal FOX gives us) through the switcher.

The purpose of doing it this way is that more stations can run HD network programming (i.e. NFL and NASCAR) without having a HD plant. The drawback is for the stations that run full HD Master controls, it limits what they can do when network is on line.

And that is how it works.

post #1936 of 2235 Old 03-05-2010, 07:42 AM

Have those out there using directv with a OTA antenna setup lost 10-1 (CBS) guide info the last few days? It's been gone for a few days on all 3 of my HDDVRs.
post #1937 of 2235 Old 03-05-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

If Rob is reading, nice job with the Tornado information tonight. I just saw it on 6.2, so far the only local channel I receive that has mentioned much of anything about the awareness. A lot of new transplants coming to NC from the north who have no idea how rough the storms can get here.

I was barely out of diapers ( a few years lol ) on March 28th, 1984, but I still remember the visions of the destruction I saw from the outbreak in Sampson county. Heard a lot about it from my dad and Foxeng who posted here above told us about Red Springs before since he was there that evening.
post #1938 of 2235 Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Jagmonster,
I have the same set up and I too have lost my CBS HD.
post #1939 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 09:06 AM

Talked to Shawn Fayle - Operations Mgr, WILM-TV and he forwarded this letter. Don't ask me to explain but the botton line is Directv will be changing the 10-1 in their guide to I believe something like 40-1 because what happening with this "white space" thing. As to how long this will take, don't know.

tvwhitespaceexhibit.pdf 124.6064453125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tvwhitespaceexhibit.pdf (124.6 KB, 4 views)
post #1940 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
That makes no sense at all. Yet I'm somehow not surprised.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1941 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 09:12 AM

Don't ask me to explain it's greek to me. I just know directv dropped their guide for 10-1 which means directv subs can't tune to the OTA feed using our directv box.
post #1942 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Don't ask me to explain it's greek to me. I just know directv dropped their guide for 10-1 which means directv subs can't tune to the OTA feed using our directv box.

"Isn't that special"........ LOL

With the recent court ruling against Dish in Tivo's favor, I'm worried about how they'll handle the whole DVR thing...

I was thinking about getting locals thru Dish so I'd get the program guide info (I can manually add OTA to my Dish receiver, but don't get passthru of programming info). I wonder if they did the same thing with WILM?
post #1943 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:

Have those out there using directv with a OTA antenna setup lost 10-1 (CBS) guide info the last few days? It's been gone for a few days on all 3 of my HDDVRs.

I have never really been able to get 10-1 OTA; but Directv has given me access to a New York feed of CBS (over SAT). I requested waivers from all local networks - CBS was the only network that granted it.

You can see if you are eligible and request waivers from directv, i am unable to post urls here, AVS says i need to post at least 3 times before i get that access. Just search for local channel/distant network access.

It does take awhile... I think months, not days. (don't recall, did it a while ago)

hope this helps!
post #1944 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 12:10 PM

Hey guys,

I'm Steve K. with CBS 10 WILM. We can confirm that viewers trying to watch us OTA thru DirecTV's box are having problems. This is NOT due to the "White Space" testing occurring now. We apologize that we have miscommunicated internally. It was something we had looked at before we discovered all the problems are limited to those with DirecTV.

Calls to DirecTV over the last two business days have not been returned. We are still awaiting their answers to our questions. For those affected by this issue, you should be able to receive WILM's programming by bypassing DirecTV's equipment and plugging your antenna directly into your HDTV, if it has a tuner. We also suggest calling DirecTV and reporting your issues.

For more information, feel free to give me a call at 332-7139, but that's all we have right now. I will post an update as soon as we get one.

Steve
post #1945 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorm10 View Post

I have never really been able to get 10-1 OTA; but Directv has given me access to a New York feed of CBS (over SAT). I requested waivers from all local networks - CBS was the only network that granted it.

You can see if you are eligible and request waivers from directv, i am unable to post urls here, AVS says i need to post at least 3 times before i get that access. Just search for local channel/distant network access.

It does take awhile... I think months, not days. (don't recall, did it a while ago)

hope this helps!

I have the NY locals also except ABC which still turns me down. Was surprised that I was able to get FOX And NBC also along with CBS. Most of the time we watch the NY feeds because all are 5.1 soundwise.
post #1946 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Good Luck calling Directv and getting anyone who knows what really happening. Might as well talk to a tree in my backyard.
post #1947 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Steve,
I tried the direct hookup and still no go with CBS ota. I will call Directv to find out the problem. I can't watch Survivor in standard Def. Thanks, Larry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sklem View Post

Hey guys,

I'm Steve K. with CBS 10 WILM. We can confirm that viewers trying to watch us OTA thru DirecTV's box are having problems. This is NOT due to the "White Space" testing occurring now. We apologize that we have miscommunicated internally. It was something we had looked at before we discovered all the problems are limited to those with DirecTV.

Calls to DirecTV over the last two business days have not been returned. We are still awaiting their answers to our questions. For those affected by this issue, you should be able to receive WILM's programming by bypassing DirecTV's equipment and plugging your antenna directly into your HDTV, if it has a tuner. We also suggest calling DirecTV and reporting your issues.

For more information, feel free to give me a call at 332-7139, but that's all we have right now. I will post an update as soon as we get one.

Steve

post #1948 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

taylor and meaderman, where are you exactly?

If you are trying to view WILM, remember that they are on a different tower than WWAY, WSFX and WECT. WILM is weaker and is coming out of Delco in Columbus county. You will need to aim a directional style antenna right on that tower. I am in Jacksonville, a good distance out of the predicted coverage ground and was picking up 40-1 last night. (also got Myrtle beach and Charleston so might have been skip)

WILM LD

Quote:

Trip in VA
RabbitEars Webmaster

That makes no sense at all. Yet I'm somehow not surprised.

- Trip

Comments are my own and not that of my employer or anyone else.

RabbitEars
TVGOS Affiliate List

Trip in VA is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

Wilmington has been chosen as a test market for broadband internet access across the entire city. I think they are starting in a park downtown and going from there.
post #1949 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
WSDs should have nothing to do with whether or not WILM-LD has to map to 10-1 or 40-1 though.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

post #1950 of 2235 Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

WSDs should have nothing to do with whether or not WILM-LD has to map to 10-1 or 40-1 though.

- Trip

I have never seen WILM map to 10-1 when connecting straight into the TV tuner or converter, though others have, and I get no guide data PSIP from them either when I am able to pull the signal in at night.

When you guys are trying to tune it in, try directly entering "40" and then pull up the signal meter and have someone watch the signal while you turn the antenna and moving it higher and lower until the signal peaks.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page