AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Don't get me started on this topic.

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. Should be interesting how everyone sounds when it's done. I thought it meant the audio would be no "higher" than a certain level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2224 Old 10-17-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

Quote:
Don't get me started on this topic.

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info. Should be interesting how everyone sounds when it's done. I thought it meant the audio would be no "higher" than a certain level.

We have basically stepped back to audio leveling of the 1950's. We have spent the last 40 years perfecting multiband processing to only go back to mono band processing with a computer chip. I have spent the last two weeks trying to get our CALM Act processing set and I STILL don't have it sounding like it should. Our audio sounds like crap now and the viewers have noticed.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #2163 of 2224 Old 10-29-2012, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems that 'Sandy' took out WWAY's transmitter. No signal for two days for me. No real weather reports either since no Jerry or George could be watched. Two of the areas best. smile.gif
post #2164 of 2224 Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I never know if it's my antenna or not, but when I was able to get the SD broadcast via Dish, I too figured their transmitter was out... I guess they are aware, but I remember in the "old days" when they were dual broadcasting analog/digital, sometimes they wouldn't know the digital was out...
post #2165 of 2224 Old 10-29-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Signals back and working good now. I guess they worked on it sometime after we posted. During storms I usually get better reception from the south than I do from the tower up in Pitt county. I miss analog during bad weather especially. Analog didn't have near the transmitter problems that digital does during storms. IF you have a dish, you can't count on that working very much.
post #2166 of 2224 Old 11-16-2012, 10:40 AM

Does anyone have an clue what is up with W47CK/WMYW? Are they ever going to transition to digital and strengthen their signal?
post #2167 of 2224 Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Checking on sound since CALM act goes into effect today, and WWAY has turned up the sound, but the dialog comes from the rear speakers now. eek.gif

So far, I can't tell any difference on 6 or 26

Also out of this area, WNCT has activated Dolby Digital 5.1 on it's sub channel. I wonder how they did that?
post #2168 of 2224 Old 12-13-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Checking on sound since CALM act goes into effect today, and WWAY has turned up the sound, but the dialog comes from the rear speakers now. eek.gif

So far, I can't tell any difference on 6 or 26

Also out of this area, WNCT has activated Dolby Digital 5.1 on it's sub channel. I wonder how they did that?

Dolby DP569 does the trick.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #2169 of 2224 Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

3.1 WWAY has the center audio mixed up with the rears. The background music comes out the center channel, and the dialog comes out the rears. Only during ABC stuff.
post #2170 of 2224 Old 12-20-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Speaking of audio. Does anyone know what happened to WILM's plans to go 5.1 DD? I thought someone from the station was on this thread back during/shortly after the digital transition and said they had the equipment in house, just wating on installation.

-Brent
post #2171 of 2224 Old 01-04-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

WECT's dolby digital sounds better than ever to me now, but WWAY sounds really low and sounds dull, like there is no treble. They sound lower than any other channel I can receive.
post #2172 of 2224 Old 01-30-2013, 08:04 PM

OK, so I'm about a decade late to the party. Just dropped TWC today and am curious about OTA quality in Wilmington. Can someone save me reading 72 pages of this thread and neatly summarize the state of OTA here? I live just about dead center in Wilmington and can mount an antenna about midway up my house with fairly direct line to the major network signals. Is it a waste of time? Any recommendations for specific antennas for this area would be helpful.

Thanks!
post #2173 of 2224 Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newoldschool View Post

OK, so I'm about a decade late to the party. Just dropped TWC today and am curious about OTA quality in Wilmington. Can someone save me reading 72 pages of this thread and neatly summarize the state of OTA here? I live just about dead center in Wilmington and can mount an antenna about midway up my house with fairly direct line to the major network signals. Is it a waste of time? Any recommendations for specific antennas for this area would be helpful.

Thanks!

Can someone save me reading 72 pages of this thread and neatly summarize the state of OTA here?

ALL stations transmit a UHF signal. The two towers are in Winnabow, and Delco. The tall tower at Winnabow transmits WWAY, WECT, and WSFX. The Delco short tower has WILM LD, and WUNJ (PBS).

I live just about dead center in Wilmington and can mount an antenna about midway up my house with fairly direct line to the major network signals. Is it a waste of time?

Go to www.tvfool.com and put in your location and height you plan to mount the antenna. Mounting an outdoor antenna is a good idea to get all available channels locally that the dish and cable to not carry. Also if you like to experiment, you can try to get New Bern and Washington, or Myrtle Beach.
post #2174 of 2224 Old 01-31-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Can someone save me reading 72 pages of this thread and neatly summarize the state of OTA here?

ALL stations transmit a UHF signal. The two towers are in Winnabow, and Delco. The tall tower at Winnabow transmits WWAY, WECT, and WSFX. The Delco short tower has WILM LD, and WUNJ (PBS).

I live just about dead center in Wilmington and can mount an antenna about midway up my house with fairly direct line to the major network signals. Is it a waste of time?

Go to www.tvfool.com and put in your location and height you plan to mount the antenna. Mounting an outdoor antenna is a good idea to get all available channels locally that the dish and cable to not carry. Also if you like to experiment, you can try to get New Bern and Washington, or Myrtle Beach.

OK, so I understand where the resources are for determining signal locations and strength. I guess I was just looking more for Wilmington people's experience with it. Once you get the right equipment pointed in the right direction, do you get good, consistent reception? How much does the weather affect reception? Can you set the antenna and leave it, or is a rotor necessary in order to adjust the antenna direction for different stations. Seems like the WILM signal may be the hardest to pick up. Anybody getting a good one on that station?

Thanks for the info!
post #2175 of 2224 Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

I've got an old Radio Shack amplified antenna in my attic space (little10" mesh dish type) that picks up all locals with no problem, even get Ion sometimes...

Sometimes the wind will blow the trees around enough to pixelate the image, but unless the transmitter itself goes out, it's rock solid.

Image quality should always be better than cable or satellite--no additional compression used to fit the signal into limited bandwidth... but depending on your tv, you may or may not notice a difference... (say if you've got a small 720p compared to large 1080i screen--I think anything under 73" is small... LOL)
post #2176 of 2224 Old 02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Get ready for more local HD Wilmington.

I don't know if you all have heard about the new TV station coming to Eastern NC, but the tutt media group is about to turn on 3 new transmitters. The Wilmington site will be in or near Kirkland it looks like according to their map on the tutt website. Local newscasts will be in HD from what I read several months ago. The channel for Wilmington is 39, 41 for Jacksonville, and 21 for New Bern, Kinston to the north.

There are pictures up in the Greenville thread for the channel 21 transmitter building.

the website is www.tuttmediagroup.com

Still don't know what network they will be affiliated with... I doubt it will be the CW, since WNCT just went HD on their subchannel 9.2 for the CW.
post #2177 of 2224 Old 02-26-2013, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Just called Tutt Media...

.1 will be the Nashville Network
.2 will be My Family TV
.3 will be Punch TV

only .1 will be HD

Physical channel 39, virtual channel 29 in Wilmington...

May go live around April 1, no definite date though.
post #2178 of 2224 Old 02-28-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw last night on Fox 26 where Rob Ellis is leaving for Indianapolis. I had become a viewer from time to time, especially when the weather was bad, and I remember he joined us here not long after he started on WECT, and kind of disagreed with me. haha. I didn't know he had been in the triad on channel 2 before he came to this area.

It must be hard to leave a place like WIlmington, George Elliot came back... but I wouldn't miss the traffic. Everything else yes. biggrin.gif
post #2179 of 2224 Old 07-10-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but WWAY's Dolby Digital audio sounds fantastic now. I noticed a couple of weeks ago I think it was how much better it sounded. It actually sounds better than any other channel I can get around the east.

Now if they would just fix 3-2 and get some sound out of the right channel. All I hear is the left speaker.

I also wonder what the plan is with this channel being WTMH is broadcasting Retro TV on it's dot 3?
post #2180 of 2224 Old 08-03-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Must not be many DISH subscribers in the Wilmington DMA? Kind of surprising there's been no discussion of the Raycom WECT, WSFX DISH debacle.

Eric

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #2181 of 2224 Old 08-04-2013, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Wtmq 41 is on the air with Nashville.

On the dish mess, I think everyone here has anatenns. I get better signalutfrom Wilmington than channels to the north.
ca
post #2182 of 2224 Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM

I just did a scan trying to pick up the new Nashville Network channel. No luck. Is it on the air in wilmington on just in jacksonville right now?
post #2183 of 2224 Old 09-06-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Wilmington tower isn't on yet? I thought all three towers were up now...

I got a new TV, and with it I now get ALL full power Wilmington network signals at 100%!!!!!!!! Amazing to me how strong the signals are up here past 60 miles.
post #2184 of 2224 Old 09-06-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130905/ARTICLES/130909840/1177?p=1&tc=pg

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2185 of 2224 Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!Starting Oct. 1, WWAY NewsChannel 3 will broadcast The CW in high definition on its digital subchannel 3.2 under the new name Cape Fear CW. Those with digital antennas and HD-ready TVs will be able to access the channel free of charge.

According to Nate Galluppi, promotion director for WWAY, the launch of Cape Fear CW is the first step in "rebranding, centralizing and localizing" The CW's presence in the area.
][/SPOILER]
post #2186 of 2224 Old 09-06-2013, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Wilmington tower isn't on yet? I thought all three towers were up now...

I got a new TV, and with it I now get ALL full power Wilmington network signals at 100%!!!!!!!! Amazing to me how strong the signals are up here past 60 miles.
Good to hear.The newer TVs have more sensitive tuners which helps. What type of antenna and preamp? And what brand of TV?
post #2187 of 2224 Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!Starting Oct. 1, WWAY NewsChannel 3 will broadcast The CW in high definition on its digital subchannel 3.2 under the new name Cape Fear CW. Those with digital antennas and HD-ready TVs will be able to access the channel free of charge.

According to Nate Galluppi, promotion director for WWAY, the launch of Cape Fear CW is the first step in "rebranding, centralizing and localizing" The CW's presence in the area.
][/SPOILER]
Hopefully they are using very good encoders and have a good multiplexing set up so the pic quality won't suffer on the HD channels.
post #2188 of 2224 Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Good to hear.The newer TVs have more sensitive tuners which helps. What type of antenna and preamp? And what brand of TV?

Sorry I missed the post earlier...

Dynex TV - Antenna is a Winegard Hd 8800 UHF and I use a pre-amp from winegard -AP 8700 and I have the VHF separated from the UHF line so no amplification on VHF, with the radio shack band joiners before and after pre amp. The Dynex has a signal meter in the menu that goes from 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 and 100% - I did notice WUNJ at night dropped down to 50% at times. I have 3 rooms hooked up to two Dynex models and a Samsung.
post #2189 of 2224 Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry I missed the post earlier...

Dynex TV - Antenna is a Winegard Hd 8800 UHF and I use a pre-amp from winegard -AP 8700 and I have the VHF separated from the UHF line so no amplification on VHF, with the radio shack band joiners before and after pre amp. The Dynex has a signal meter in the menu that goes from 0 - 25 - 50 - 75 and 100% - I did notice WUNJ at night dropped down to 50% at times. I have 3 rooms hooked up to two Dynex models and a Samsung.
I thought I remembered you having that set up. I think that 8800 is a good antenna that is often overlooked in favor of the CM-4228 or the DB8. And that 8700 amp may be discontinued, so if you want a back up version I would order one now. Winegard is replacing most preamps with the LNA-200 Boost XT.
post #2190 of 2224 Old 11-07-2013, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Noticed recently that WECT and WSFX are both now capable of recording and airing HD syndication. Not sure exactly when they started, but it must have been a recent thing. The last stations in the eastern side of the state to get this done.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page