Wilmington, NC - HDTV - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2281 of 2299 Old 10-23-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mans147 View Post
I sent a message to WECT today about lower signal and here is the reply.....


Heath, Ray <rheath@wect.com>





Today at 12:21 PM



Yes we do have a problem with WECT. About a week ago we lost our main transmitter and had to switch to a lower power backup. The parts are on order and hopefully we will be back to full power by next Wednesday. I apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing. Rest assured we are working to be back to 100 percent as soon as possible.

Thanks for watching,

Ray Heath
Director of Technology
WECT – WSFX Television
Thanks for sharing. I guess I am lucky to have a good UHF antenna because only just a few times, I have not noticed any break-ups. I can honestly recommend this Winegard 8 bowtie antenna!
jspENC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2282 of 2299 Old 01-10-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Daryl L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Anybody heard when or if WWAY will ever get guide data going for sub channel 3.3 CoziTV?
Daryl L is offline  
post #2283 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
With WRAL being dropped by CBS, or WRAL dropping CBS and moving to NBC, will WILM still carry CBS I wonder? Would WECT switch to CBS if given the chance?
jspENC is online now  
post #2284 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 09:22 AM
Member
 
djsketchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
With WRAL being dropped by CBS, or WRAL dropping CBS and moving to NBC, will WILM still carry CBS I wonder? Would WECT switch to CBS if given the chance?
I've been thinking about that as well as soon as I heard WRAL dropped CBS for NBC. I can't wrap my head around how that will work since WILM simulcasts WRAL local news. They won't be able to mention anything NBC related during the newscast if WILM stays with CBS. If WILM switches to NBC, what happens to WECT? Can you have two local stations showing NBC and none showing CBS?
djsketchie is offline  
post #2285 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
I've been thinking about that as well as soon as I heard WRAL dropped CBS for NBC. I can't wrap my head around how that will work since WILM simulcasts WRAL local news. They won't be able to mention anything NBC related during the newscast if WILM stays with CBS. If WILM switches to NBC, what happens to WECT? Can you have two local stations showing NBC and none showing CBS?
Good questions.
jspENC is online now  
post #2286 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Member
 
djsketchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
Good questions.
I emailed the General Manager for WILM about this and she just got back to me - WILM is still going to be the local CBS affiliate. What a strange situation, haha.
djsketchie is offline  
post #2287 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
veedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 1,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
I emailed the General Manager for WILM about this and she just got back to me - WILM is still going to be the local CBS affiliate. What a strange situation, haha.
Maybe WRAL will produce a special newscast for WILM that avoids any references to NBC. WRAL already produces a newscast for WRAZ, Capitol Broadcasting's FOX affiliate in the Raleigh market.
veedon is offline  
post #2288 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
WRAL uses CBS network bits in the WRAZ newscasts. They just don't directly reference CBS. This probably wouldn't be any different.

However, the relationship with CBS and Capitol is probably so bad that CBS will jump ship at renewal. Capitol doesn't exactly have much sway in Wilmington.
AndThenScottSays is offline  
post #2289 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 03:54 PM
Member
 
djsketchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays View Post
WRAL uses CBS network bits in the WRAZ newscasts. They just don't directly reference CBS. This probably wouldn't be any different.

However, the relationship with CBS and Capitol is probably so bad that CBS will jump ship at renewal. Capitol doesn't exactly have much sway in Wilmington.
That would be bad news for Wilmington then. I live downtown, and WNCT out of Greenville or WBTW out of Myrtle Beach are both fringe reception stations unless you have a tower and a high gain antenna. Us OTA folks would be left out in the cold when it comes to CBS programming if WILM doesn't come to some sort of agreement with CBS.
djsketchie is offline  
post #2290 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsketchie View Post
That would be bad news for Wilmington then. I live downtown, and WNCT out of Greenville or WBTW out of Myrtle Beach are both fringe reception stations unless you have a tower and a high gain antenna. Us OTA folks would be left out in the cold when it comes to CBS programming if WILM doesn't come to some sort of agreement with CBS.
They would probably end up affiliating with 3 or 6 on a subchannel. 3 could only do it if they drop the CW or air CW in standard def.
AndThenScottSays is offline  
post #2291 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
veedon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 1,452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked: 297
How did CBS wind up having only a low-power affiliate in the Wilmington market?
Too few full power stations to go around?
veedon is offline  
post #2292 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Too few full power stations

26 was CBS until the mid 90s, and one of the worst CBS affiliates there was. Until WILM became CBS around 2000 I recall WNCT being piped in on Wilmington cable.
AndThenScottSays is offline  
post #2293 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
WNCTs original analog antenna was so bad that the reception was terrible on cable. They couldn't get a clean signal as I recall and it was cut off when WILM LD fired up off of Military cutt off.
jspENC is online now  
post #2294 of 2299 Old 01-16-2016, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
AndThenScottSays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 806
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I think WNCT aired their signal on channel 10 as a translator for awhile too, actually
AndThenScottSays is offline  
post #2295 of 2299 Old 01-21-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,259
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Can anyone tell me how my friend is doing at WWAY lately? I saw him first of December there. He sure has his hands full. The list of fire items seems to be never ending for him. He told me of some upcoming things that that he would like to do. If he can pull most of it off, I think you might like the results.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is offline  
post #2296 of 2299 Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Can anyone tell me how my friend is doing at WWAY lately?
The only thing I can relay is the picture quality has improved, sound was always good on the main channel, but he has fixed all issues with Cozi TV, as far as I can tell, and the news backgrounds (virtual studio) changed over the last several months with new intro music. I did catch some technical difficulties on a few newscasts I watched, it seemed like they couldn't get back on the air after a commercial break and just kept re-running commercials during that time, but otherwise, when I have watched, things looked normal. Hope this helps.
jspENC is online now  
post #2297 of 2299 Old 01-22-2016, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
foxeng's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Where ever I am is where I am.
Posts: 14,259
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post
The only thing I can relay is the picture quality has improved, sound was always good on the main channel, but he has fixed all issues with Cozi TV, as far as I can tell, and the news backgrounds (virtual studio) changed over the last several months with new intro music. I did catch some technical difficulties on a few newscasts I watched, it seemed like they couldn't get back on the air after a commercial break and just kept re-running commercials during that time, but otherwise, when I have watched, things looked normal. Hope this helps.
Yeah, he has a long list of things to do and he is the only engineer there so it takes time!
Daryl L likes this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
foxeng is offline  
post #2298 of 2299 Old 01-22-2016, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Daryl L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,879
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I rarely watch 3.1 or 3.2 on WWAY. I mostly watched 3.3 and thankfully he got the audio fixed on it a while back. I'm just patiently waiting for guide data to appear. :-)
Daryl L is offline  
post #2299 of 2299 Old 01-22-2016, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jspENC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Jacksonville, NC
Posts: 4,463
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
I rarely watch 3.1 or 3.2 on WWAY. I mostly watched 3.3 and thankfully he got the audio fixed on it a while back. I'm just patiently waiting for guide data to appear. :-)
Same here. I very rarely watch the news on WWAY or WECT. They used to include Lumberton and Jacksonville, but not much anymore. I watch these channels for network programming though usually, but even that is rare, since I watch the most on CBS and FOX.

Quote:
Foxeng: Yeah, he has a long list of things to do and he is the only engineer there so it takes time!
Well, from what I have seen, he is working on making the station much better. They call their news "good evening Wilmington" now I believe. (I think that is the right phrase)
Daryl L likes this.

Last edited by jspENC; 01-22-2016 at 11:14 AM.
jspENC is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off