Wilmington, NC - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2224 Old 05-01-2003, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Please post what you are getting and where abouts you are in this area.

I am currently receiving the following:

yellow WUNJ-DT 29 PBS Wilmington NC Now Live 313° 39-1 through 39.5
NO HD content over 39-2 unfortunately even though titan says its being transmitted i get a blank screen with 75% signal strength.

* yellow WSFX-DT 30 FOX Wilmington NC Now Live 355° About 30%

* yellow WPXU-DT 34 PAX Jacksonville NC Now Live 53° NOPE
* yellow WWAY-DT 46 ABC Wilmington NC Under Review 278° Yes, If i completely i rotate antenna manually...do not have roter at this time

* yellow WECT-DT 54 NBC Wilmington NC Under Review 324° Dont think its on air at this time!

* lt green WILM-DT 10 CBS Wilmington NC Under Review 17° Dont think its on air at this time.

I picked up a CM3018...Lowes selection was kinda limmited. They had CM Stealth, cm3016, 3018 and 3020. $35,59 and 99 respectively.

I dont know if i picked up the right type of amp or not. I purchased the CM3044. THis is a signal amplifier. Probally not what i needed right? Funny thing is i can build computers with my eyes closed but when it comes to antennas i am clueless.

I have the antenna just kinda lying in the attic at this time cause im not willing to go there with the HOA at this time. Noone else in my neighborhood has one and i am attempting approval for a garden shed at this time so its not an option to place outside. I did attempt to mount the antenna with CM hardware. It didnt look very sturdy at all when completed. The mast doesnt sit flush. Mast came from lowes in antenna section.

Should i have a bowtie antenna instead. I am about 4 miles past monkey junction heading towards carolina beach.

Does home depot have better selection of antennas perhaps? If someone is familiar with my area please assist. I am using the MIT MY_HD DTV card for my hdtv tuner needs and displaying everything on Mits 65311. At this point i am not liking OTA lol.

One last thing. Can anyone confirm any stations in wilmington passing on HD content. not SD digital. I spent 120 bucks at lowes last night and if this is not what i really need i wanna exchange this stuff.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2224 Old 05-03-2003, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

can anyone comment on this area at all. There were a few residing in wilmington, nc. however they are not speaking up.

thanks

post #3 of 2224 Old 05-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seems there aren't too many Wilmington people on this board, could be we don't really have squat for OTA too...

I've been speaking with all the station engineers off and on for the past few months--they're all nice guys and generally know each other's business too...

UNC-PBS probably won't have HD content for another month or so...

I get ABC-DT sporadically (and the transmission itself is sporadic), with same issue as you probably, I don't want to re-aim my antenna, otherwise I'll lose Fox, since Fox is coming from their studio on Oleander at a massive 5kw effective radiated power.

NBC, because they applied for and got a channel change, has a reprieve on the FCC deadline to go live, so they won't be up until maybe June or July... they claim they'll be HD from the start...

I also get good signal strength from PAX in Jacksonville. I left a voice mail for their engineer, but no response--pretty christian of him, huh? I suspect they are only xmitting carrier, or their bitstream is messed up...

Who cares about CBS--sorry... I get the NY HD feed on Dish... I like to call them the poor ******* step-child of WRAL--they just aren't getting any money...

I have a Channel Master also, 3016? It's a combined VHF and UHF (yagi directional). Eventually all the stations will be xmitting from the south-west general area, so I think a directional will be ok eventually. If you want something better though, all the engineers pretty much agreed that the Channel Master 4 bay UHF is the way to go-not nearly as directional as the yagi. Oh yeah, forgot, I've got a Radio Shack amp on the antenna too...

I live maybe a 1/2 mi north of Monkey Junction... we are definitely a minority around here. While speaking to one station engineer, after telling him I could get Fox, said I must be the one Wayne (egr for UNC-PBS) was talking about... ha ha... They all like to get feedback about their signals...

The egr at NBC was a butt head though--at least in my conversation with him--they didn't really buy Fox I guess, but will have a contract to run the station? There's no telling when they will broadcast in "hi resolution"--Fox doesn't have the equipment. Oh well, it'll be too late to see the rest of 24 anyway... And ABC won't be HD until Alias is over too...

Well, I think I've answered most of your questions amid my rambling...

By the way, the HOA cannot restrict antennas unless they are a safety hazard, or if you're in condos, it can't be mounted on common property (which is usually the exterior of condo buildings)--the specific FCC rules are out there if you do a search. I didn't even ask if I could put dishes on my house (although they are almost completely hidden from view)--and we've got an HOA...
post #4 of 2224 Old 05-04-2003, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Marc,

Pbs is definately the strongest.

Im using the MyHD card and getting fox at about 28-34% strength. and its using the silver sensor for that with signal booster. oposite of that, I am using the cm 3018 for abc. Are you getting serious gamma problems with ABC????

That antenna although not powered is receiving PBS fully as well. Both ABC and PBS are around 45-55% signal strength. Im sure this is because of attic situation. I am on vacation until ...May 16th.

We are obviously in same general area. Perhaps i pass you on the way to work or have cut you off on the hwy at some point or another. hehe

I was thinking of going to home depot today to check out the antennas. Lowes dissapoints me or what they have right now.

I do not get pax at all. although i can see signal strength at 34% sometimes.

keep the talk going back and forth and tell the engineers Josh will be calling soon too next time you talk to em. lol. Sad that their arent more HDtv peeps in our area if you think about it.

post #5 of 2224 Old 05-06-2003, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found out a couple of things today.

1. Neighbor has HD 4:3 set and is thinking about antenna on roof eventually. Good news for me. We can help each other install em

2. I took back the signal amp and got the CM preamp deal from lowes. Only one they had. I plan on ordering the one from warren or stark 7778 i think. This one made a world of difference as i now get PBS at 95-100%. Fox at 55-60. Still have to rotate antenna for ABC at this time.

3. Im thinking of takeing the 3018 back. Way too big for the attic. and trying the CM 4221 4 bow antenna.

Hoping more people from wilmington come out of the woodwork soon.

post #6 of 2224 Old 05-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

HD 4:3--now really, that's a contradiction in terms... I have a friend that opted for that route though, he's got a 65" 4:3 that does the squeeze for HD/DVD material...

I think I might have to finally go the 4221 route also... tonight I've got to re-aim to get Fox for 24.

What exactly is the gamma issue you referred to? ABC digital picture wasn't all that special Sun night for Alias--actually looked kinda crappy for digital...

I've got the Dish 6000 for HD and OTA--I guess it's only about a second generation receiver compared to the Samsung SIR series...

How do you like your MyHD card? At some point I might consider that option in order to record OTA HD--still can't get too excited about Tivo and the like, especially the subscription fees... OTOH, since my computer is so far from the tv, don't know how I'd solve that problem...

Now that my antenna is pointed towards ABC, PBS is very strong, I'm getting 75%+. Much below that and the picture is unstable. I also have the highly regarded (now discontinued) Radio Shack double bowtie, I've tried before to wire that together with the other antenna, but it didn't seem to help (or hurt either)--I guess it's hit or miss when wiring multiple antennas.

Well, eventually FOX will be on one of the towers toward the west...

I don't care if you cut me off, just make sure you go the speed limit!!!

post #7 of 2224 Old 05-06-2003, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

marc,

i have MYHD card residing in an xp2000 right now upstairs. I am currently building the HTPC beast.

I have the kanam htpc case, myhdcard, p4pe mobo, 512mb pc2700,

two 120gb maxtors i robbed from office depot for about 80 each. 8mb cache editions. I just ordered the vga to 5 bnc with rca adapter cable for my mits 65". I only need to order the cpu now. I figure as long as i am waiting to get the cpu the 3.02 will drop. I passed on a 2.8 deal for 225.

This will make you laugh. I was at best buy on the sale weekend they had 50% off all dss boxes for new and existing subs. They had the ts160 ota, dss hd box for 250 which was 50% off the sale price. It didnt have a remote and i thought it would run 80-100 for that remote. they looked everywhere. You have to understand, i just received my hd card and case that week. so i didnt think i wanted the box ...with the htpc project in the works. So I passed. wondering if i made right decision but with superdish news. i think i might have. I have 3 dtivos in my house as well. 2 series 1 and 1 series II. I love em. but i am craving some hd material. all i have are some ts, tp clips on the pc. well if you wanna chat i am nc88keyz on aim. be good to talk to someone local for a bit.

my brother in law and i ran cat 5 downstairs preparing for future applications. So far i have xbox, two dtivos and soon the htpc will be added to the 8 port switch. Im currently thinking how to route antenna wire through existing wires. since charter installed a outside box i may run down there and loop from a wall outlet in the FROG and run that back in to a splitter. of course with the preamp before the splitter. Should be fun.

All the outlets and panels for cat5 coax etc. are available in the electronics section of lowes or home depot. LMK if you need some advice

lmk

post #8 of 2224 Old 05-07-2003, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Im gonna do some experimenting this weekend.

Got the following on the way from warrenelectronics.

CM 7777 vhf.uhf preamp. was only 3 bucks more than 7775

CM 4221

some rotor cable

CM remote rotor coming. I should be able to get a 45 degree spread on fox and pbs, abc with this thing. If i dont need a rotor it will go back or i will sell it.

Should be fun trying. They were out of tripods. Still deciding what to do there.

ill keep ya posted. Sounds like fun. I left a pull wire to fish some rg6 and rotor wire and whatever else through a mid wall in the living room.

post #9 of 2224 Old 05-09-2003, 07:08 PM

Hi Guys.
I own a shop in Newberry, SC and I sell and install outdorr TV antennas, as well as the HDTV televisions and tuners.

I have read you posts tonight with interest, and would like to say a few things:

First, the channel master 9521 remote controlled rotor is one of the best inventions ever made. They work great.

Second, the 4-bay antenna really does have a lot of gain. However, installing any antenna inside the attic will reduce signal strength to the antenna by about 50%. I always try to install an antenna outside. A small antenna outside will work better than a larger antenna inside!

The 7777 is a great preamp. Ditto the 0064 and 0068 units.

And, if you really need a tripod, I have the channel master in stock. Let me know if you need it, and I will ship it to you.

Happy viewing,
Corey Brazell
Audio Video Electronics
post #10 of 2224 Old 05-09-2003, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got the cm 4221 today. Its night and day as far as pinpointing signals. Its definately less directional. I evennfound a sweet spot in the attic getting all three channels for now. the amp seems to work just as well as the other one. I took the stuff back to lowes today. dont grab an open box 3018. you might not like what you buy lol. it was hard getting it back in the box. Anyways, I know i need to get the thing on the roof, just not looking forward to the HOAs dirty looks. lol

Im now getting 95% on pbs
70% on abc
55% on fox.

I can get stronger on fox but i will lose abc because of the spread. I am anxious to get it outside the attic. I just wanna haul it up on the roof just to see what i am missing....knowing im not gonna wanna move it down.

I am one step closer as i purchased roofing clips tonight for the coax.

4221 vs 3018.

We have a clear winner in my neck of the woods 4221 all the way!!!!

post #11 of 2224 Old 05-10-2003, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by nc88keyz
... We have a clear winner in my neck of the woods 4221 all the way!!!!

FWIW, if you need to make the 4221 blend in better with outdoor surroundings, you can spray paint the antenna a different color. It will not affect the signal strength, according to a tech at ChannelMaster.
post #12 of 2224 Old 05-11-2003, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Eventually Fox will have their antenna in the same area as the other stations... "eventually"...

For the relatively low cost, I think I'll end up with the 4221 also...

Have you tried checking for NBC yet? I haven't lately... don't know what channel antennaweb has listed for them, but it did change to something like 45... can't remember, I wrote it down somewhere...
post #13 of 2224 Old 06-06-2003, 04:34 AM

Any updates on when NBC-DT will come on the air??????
post #14 of 2224 Old 06-06-2003, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

Originally posted by ecparks
Any updates on when NBC-DT will come on the air??????

The FCC just approved their channel change and gave WECT-DT authority to proceed May 5, 2003.

WECT-DT filed another extension Monday, June 2 since their previous extension was to run out in July. According to the supporting documentation submitted to the FCC, the transmitter building construction is underway and the transmitter is being constructed by the manufacturer and when completed shipped to the site. WECT-DT is saying to the FCC that they hope to be on air by September 30th.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #15 of 2224 Old 06-06-2003, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by foxeng
The FCC just approved their channel change and gave WECT-DT authority to proceed May 5, 2003.

WECT-DT filed another extension Monday, June 2 since their previous extension was to run out in July. According to the supporting documentation submitted to the FCC, the transmitter building construction is underway and the transmitter is being constructed by the manufacturer and when completed shipped to the site. WECT-DT is saying to the FCC that they hope to be on air by September 30th.

Nothing like waiting another 3-4 months. Thanks WECT_DT. Let us know if you need we...the public to wait anylonger. Feel free file for another extention with the FCC should any of you need to take a vacation.

post #16 of 2224 Old 06-06-2003, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Nothing like waiting another 3-4 months. Thanks WECT_DT. Let us know if you need we...the public to wait anylonger. Feel free file for another extention with the FCC should any of you need to take a vacation.

In all fairness, after looking at the FCC records, it is clear that RayCom has been pushing to get this channel change done and the FCC has dragged their feet and just green lighted them to start on May 5. FCC Rules state that UNTIL you get the OK, YOU WILL NOT START building or ordering ANYTHING in lieu of loosing the authorization. It takes 30-60 days to build the transmitter, another 30-45 days to install and check out. This takes us to August, which was beyond the July date of their current extension. The fact that they have stated to the FCC their desire to be on by Sept 30 and not Dec 30 shows that they are moving as fast as can be.

Now I am in no way connected with ANY station in the Wilmington Market, but I DO know what it takes to build a station and how long it takes and if they are asking till Sept 30, that is moving pretty good from first of May go a head. This time line is based on no problems, which NEVER EVER happens. Murphy has a field day with fast projects like this, but hopefully the TV gods will smile on them.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #17 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 03:59 PM

so fellas, i bought the samsung d* 160. i get nothing from OTA hd as of now. i get pbs 39.2 at 77%, but its just blank. when will we get hd content from this thing? i bought the silver sensor at circuit city on sale for $21.99.

i am looking forward to espn on july 1st. maybe that will hold me over till we get something off the ground in wilmington.

any info to pass along?

edit: channel 39.2 says HDTV demo on my D* tv guide. just getting a blank screen though. grrr.
post #18 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 05:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by paul watkins
any info to pass along?

edit: channel 39.2 says HDTV demo on my D* tv guide. just getting a blank screen though. grrr.

None of the UNC stations are sending any HD OTA. They are sending HD on the fiber links to the cable companies though. I have personally emailed them and called their "help" number and the lady had no information and someone from their Engineering Department was to call me back and they didn't and still have not heard when the second channel is to be activated.

post #19 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wilmington will have local DSS feeds with addition of 119 lnb and oval dish. This shold be happening in just a few months. If you go to the website it says available now, but the affiliates are not listed. I called directv and they said maybe around august or september. I could deal with locals over sat to tie me over as i am still perfecting my htpc box. I did finally run a lead to the multiswitch antenna input for the OTA antenna.

PBS is blank on myhd tuner as well.

ABC was working last i checked.(few gamma problems and oversaturation) and fox is working just fine. All SD digital.

post #20 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 05:36 PM

Quote:

None of the UNC stations are sending any HD OTA. They are sending HD on the fiber links to the cable companies though. I have personally emailed them and called their "help" number and the lady had no information and someone from their Engineering Department was to call me back and they didn't and still have not heard when the second channel is to be activated.

that second channel you refer to is 39-2? also no unc channels will be in hd OTA,only on TW cable?

what about PBS WUNJ-DT, is that the same channel as 39-2? its listed as channel 29 on antennaweb.org but i get nothing.is it in HD?
post #21 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It is my understanding that 39-2 will be in HD once the network is complete between all the locations for UNC-TV in North Carolina. Please correct me if i am wrong. I believe i read that on their website sometime back.

post #22 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 05:43 PM

Quote:

Wilmington will have local DSS feeds with addition of 119 lnb and oval dish. This shold be happening in just a few months. If you go to the website it says available now, but the affiliates are not listed. I called directv and they said maybe around august or september. I could deal with locals over sat to tie me over as i am still perfecting my htpc box

will those local channels carry an HD signal via sattelite? if so i will drop TWC all togeather. or at least hold out until i see if they get fox sports HD. tarheel's bball in HD will be the greatest thing ever. i'm sure espn will do dook vs. unc in HD next year, but fox sportsnet carries about seven unc games a year.
post #23 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As far as i am aware....no HD locals over sat at this time. with exception to CBS feed on Dishnetwork. Again correct me if I am mistaken.

post #24 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

It is my understanding that 39-2 will be in HD once the network is complete between all the locations for UNC-TV in North Carolina. Please correct me if i am wrong. I believe i read that on their website sometime back.

You are correct. The network was completed in March. Asheville was the last site to go up.

post #25 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by paul watkins
that second channel you refer to is 39-2? also no unc channels will be in hd OTA,only on TW cable?

The DTV channel is remapped to the analog number. In WUNJ-DT's case, the actual channel is 39 but the PSIP data is sent as 29 so you the viewer do not have to remember the analog channel and digital channel numbers. Technically the virtual channel nomenclature is this:

Analog - Major channel number (29 in this case) and minor channel number - 0 ex - 29-0 or just plain ole 29
Digital - Major channel number (29) minor channel number -1 through as many as the station wants. example 29-1 through 29-xx

UNC uses the following as minor channel numbers for all 11 UNC stations:
-1 as a simulcast of the analog
-2 will be the HD channel
-3 is PBS Kids
-4 is PBSYou
-5 is CPB-Annenberg Channel

Currently PBS HD is only available through TWC and will sometime be available OTA. That is the date I have been trying to find out to no avail.

When UNC starts to do HD programming on the second minor channel, at least 2 of the three other minor channels will have to be turned off or put into a "barker mode" where their bandwidth is turned down to the point that only a visual announcement is left to keep the receivers from locking up since there is a definitive bandwidth limit of 19.39 mps and HD needs at least 10 mps to be usable. The -1 channel can use as little as 3.5 mps. It will be interesting to see how UNC divides up the bandwidth among the minor channels.

post #26 of 2224 Old 06-12-2003, 07:32 PM

Liked: 11
UNC-HD looks really good on TW since it's full bandwdith, I hate to see what it'll look like OTA. In any case, it's not going to be pretty . Speaking of your receiver "locking up", mine already freezes for a few seconds if I put it on 58-2 (WUNG). They need to at least put some sort of video even if it's just color bars so your receiver has something to display instead of freezing, or people could think their receiver has a problem.
post #27 of 2224 Old 06-13-2003, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jmccurrytech
UNC-HD looks really good on TW since it's full bandwdith, I hate to see what it'll look like OTA. In any case, it's not going to be pretty . Speaking of your receiver "locking up", mine already freezes for a few seconds if I put it on 58-2 (WUNG). They need to at least put some sort of video even if it's just color bars so your receiver has something to display instead of freezing, or people could think their receiver has a problem.

My personal opinion is that UNC will only have 2 channels up when they do HD, -1 and -2. At this time I do not think UNC is sending a stream on -2 at all, just the PSIP data telling your receiver there is suppose to be something there and some receivers don't like being lied to so to speak. My Sammy 160 doesn't mind but I know other receivers do. I get WUNC-DT 59 (analog 4)and WUNL-DT 32 (analog 26) here in Greensboro. WUNG-DT 44 (analog 58) doesn't decode here, but I see the weak signal strength on it.

post #28 of 2224 Old 07-07-2003, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How is everyone doing in Wilmington, NC OTA Land. Yeah thats what I thought....Waiting for the big day.

I got an antenna feed ran from the roof to the diplexor on my dish. I really would like to see the HDtivo come soon. I cant justify buying a directv hd box for hd that i cant record.

At this time i have my htpc up and running and picked up T2 extreme in wm9. Looks great on a 2.8 p4, 8500 aiw, audio authority transcoder. Ive also ordered 5x8 switch for dss purposes cause locals are coming real soon. and i want to go ahead and get satc kit to prepare for hdtv over sat.

post #29 of 2224 Old 07-27-2003, 05:00 PM

Thought I'd say Hello to some neighbors. I'm south of Monkey Junction near Ashley High School. I just finished reading throught the thread and ran up on my roof to re-direct my roof-top antenna. (It's an anti-cable monopoly kinda thing). No problems with my HOA.
I've had a rca DTC100 for a while now and gave up on getting any Digital OTA signals. I'd thought the local broadcasters were going to continue getting extensions forever and I'd never be able to justify my receiver to my wife.
I am excited to finally get the following:
PBS and ABC(wway).
I had pbs @ 94% but ABC was @ 23%.
I now get ABC @ 84% and PBS dropped to 64%. I am not getting anything else (but channel 8 now?). Any recommendations will be appreciated.
I'm truly looking forward to more DTV and eventually HDTV. Especially football. Talk about taking small steps in technology. Come on Wilmington, It's a new century lets get with the digital age.
Keep in touch
Incus
post #30 of 2224 Old 07-27-2003, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Incus if you use aim ...msg me.. We gotta be neighbors or something. Did you hear my weed eater about 30 minutes ago lol.

nc88keyz on aim

39-2 is broadcasting SD now. Didnt look too hot but not too bad either.

I just rescanned channels in MYHD

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page