post #361 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyB39
When I signed up last week the sale person told me I was able to receive basic anlog and HD channels CBS,NBC,ABC,WGN,WTTW" I was very Clear this is what I was intrested in receiving

You got some bad info... WGN is not one of the HD channels. Fox should replace WGN in your list.

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 06:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by kevin j
i hope the phones at comcast are getting flooded with calls about this

when you do call,as I did... they tell you your not able to get these channels without subscribing to the digital package ?!
you'd think they would straighten that out by now ?????
post #363 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
the csr's need to get their facts straight

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #364 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FSugino
You got some bad info... WGN is not one of the HD channels. Fox should replace WGN in your list.

what ever I'll exclude wgn my point was when I subscribed I was told I could sign up for the basic cable for 8.41 rent a HD box for 5.00 and receive the network broadcast HD channels which now I'm informed that I can't
after it's been installed they claim that I have to sign up for a 30.00 a month digital plan to receive HD ???
( was told this by two CSR's and a Supervisor ?????) they claimed that anything over 101 was in the digital plan .......

not to mention the three day of H*ll I've been going threw since the HD box has been installed screwing up my Cable modem which I have to give up yet another day off next Thursday since I'm still having sparse outages
I'd much rather have my Cable modem working then HD over cable !

Comcast can't even give it's employees constant information ? talk to each and get a different answer ?
post #365 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 06:26 PM

Quote:

It's ABC - same as 187. Don't know why it's listed twice...

Maybe that's only in Schaumburg because we have nothing on 113 here.
post #366 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

WOAH!!

Right now... PBS (191) is coming in as ABC (I am getting a picture but it's an ABC signal)

And FOX is showing some other HD signal (widescreen HD) but I cant tell what channel it is... cause there is no logo anywhere. Now it just froze.

great now I'm getting one moment please on everything once again.

I think I just caught something interesting happening.
post #367 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

at least they're working on it

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #368 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Lee K
WOAH!!

Right now... PBS (191) is coming in as ABC (I am getting a picture but it's an ABC signal)

And FOX is showing some other HD signal (widescreen HD) but I cant tell what channel it is... cause there is no logo anywhere.

Yeah, same here. PBS (191) is showing ABC, and FOX (190) is showing Showtime. The other HD stations are still off the air...

post #369 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

just checked 191 again and theres another abc HD signal

UGH what are they doing and why cant they just keep us informed somehow. people who are going to subscribe to something like HD this "early" in HD's mainstream acceptance (if that makes any sense) are going to be very critical like us. They should understand that by now. It disgusts me that we're all PAYING for this crap.

The sad part is is that I KNOW if I called them up I would talk to some CSR that would have NO IDEA what they are talking about. They would constantly "correct" all of the stuff I say even though it is them who is completely clueless.
post #370 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Cool it looks like I'm getting FREE HBO-HD right now... cause I think the programing that's coming through on the FOX channel right now is "Dead Like Me" which is supposedly being shown on HBO-HD currently.

post #371 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kevin j
the csr's need to get their facts straight

I couldn't agree more

but not only CSR's But middle management Supervisors

I suggested to the contact I was given by the States attorney's Office when I filed a complaint against Comcast for Unfair Business practices
that he should send a memo to all on just what Comcast's policy is since it seem's no one still know what it is ?

we'l see what he has to say tomorrow .......
post #372 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 07:58 PM

I was going threw the channels and stopped on ESPN HD does anyone else thing that the ESPN game is in HD ? it sure looks Upconverted normal signal to me ? really doesn't even look upconverted just zoomed widescreen like Fox did during Football last season , I mean everyone is short and fat ? unless it's only certin camera's ?

I haven't watched much I was just was seeing what channels I had
and looks like the Supervisor was wrong and I'm alright I'am getting HD channels but didn't know if she was able of turning off channels ???
post #373 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JohnnyB39
I was going threw the channels and stopped on ESPN HD does anyone else thing that the ESPN game is in HD ? it sure looks Upconverted normal signal to me ? really doesn't even look upconverted just zoomed widescreen like Fox did during Football last season , I mean everyone is short and fat ? unless it's only certin camera's ?

I haven't watched much I was just was seeing what channels I had
and looks like the Supervisor was wrong and I'm alright I'am getting HD channels but didn't know if she was able of turning off channels ???

I agree... everything finally just got turned back on and this ESPN HD game looks terrible. Definately not HD. What the heck is goin on?
post #374 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like they've got everything back except HBO-HD and Showtime-HD. And I finally got a look at ESPN-HD - it's not widescreen HD?! It's still that stretched crap they show all the time... ugh.

post #375 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

ugh.

that definately sums it up
post #376 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 08:05 PM

WOW, after that whole mess with me not getting ESPN-HD at all, and then all the HD channels going out, I FINALLY get ESPN-HD when everything came back. Too bad that like the rest of you, we missed the beginning of the game when it WAS in HD...booo.

*edit

I just noticed something quirky. It seems like I can only get ESPN-HD by pressing 1-7-3 on my remote when I am on Ch. 187 (ABC) first. If i just channel up or down to it, try to get to it from any other channel, or use the channel guide I get the same "This channel will be available shortly" message. Even with that method to get ESPN, sometimes pressing 1-8-7 from another non-HD channel doesn't seem to work too well. Maybe I have a bad cable box? I guess I'm still having some problems here...frustrating...

Anybody please help
post #377 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

It's about 10:22pm and it looks like all of the channels are back.

post #378 of 10842 Old 07-27-2003, 08:40 PM

yes back here gotta cancel that tech now
post #379 of 10842 Old 07-28-2003, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

when i went to bed last nigh[2:30am]espnHD was showing showtimeHDand abc had hbo...don't know if it's back to normal yet

post #380 of 10842 Old 07-28-2003, 12:10 PM

is any 1 haveing probs with FOXHD for me it keep like flickerng every 10seconds
post #381 of 10842 Old 07-28-2003, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I noticed the stuttering when I watched bits of the news at noon. I didn't check OTA, so I don't know if it's just a Comcast issue or problems at WFLD.

post #382 of 10842 Old 07-28-2003, 04:25 PM

Given all of the problems with Comcast HD, I may regret asking this, but does anyone know if it is being offered in the city of Chicago (northside) yet? I couldn't find out in any of these posts, and the CSRs at Comcast (surprise!) know nothing.

Any help appreciated. Also, any word whether RCN offers HD yet?

Thanks.
post #383 of 10842 Old 07-28-2003, 08:22 PM

try to email them there techs there seem to know alot more least from what i have seen
post #384 of 10842 Old 07-29-2003, 12:57 AM

Guys, I'm still having problems getting to ESPN-HD on my cable box. I can ONLY get there when I am on Ch. 187 (ABC) and then push 1-7-3 to get to ESPN. Any other way (channel +/-, guide, or switching from any other channel than from 187) will NOT work for me.

Maybe I have a low signal or my cable box is bad? Can anyone recommend anything to me? Thanks.

*edit
I went into the menu by turning the box off and pushing "menu on the remote and looked through it. I got:

OOB Status
SNR ~20-22 GOOD
AGC 19% GOOD

INBAND STATUS
SNR ~32 GOOD
AGC 87% FAIR <---I'm guessing that isn't too good.

Although I have NO idea what those numbers mean. I don't think that "Fair" is a good sign...
post #385 of 10842 Old 07-29-2003, 01:07 PM

Besides all the HD channels disappearing two days ago . . are people still experiencing intermittent problems like pictures freezing when changing channels to one of the dead HD ones? Or very long waits (15-60 seconds) before the channels actually change?

The problems sort of fixed themselves Sunday night for me in Chicago Ridge . . . . for the most part anyway. But I'm continuing to have intermittent problems. An HD channel is there . . . and then its not . . for awhile . . . and then its back again later.

How about serious pixelizations (incomplete signals?) at times and frequent sound dropouts?

Some of these complaints I've experienced before the outage but they've increased significantly since. In the number of occasions and length of durations.

I'm not a techie for cable but it seems like a throughput problem. Something is tying up bandwidth and the cable lines or cable box just can't keep up the data stream. At least for the intermittent problems and not the total outages. Or the more cynical answer is they're trying to squeeze down the bandwidth to see what the minimum is that the public will tolerate before dropping cable. Time is money? Well so is bandwidth!

I hate intermittents. They are so hard to track down and fix if it happens to be working at the moment.

Beta . . . what a concept? Better Elevate The Antenna? Basic Electronic Testing Analysis, Better Electronics Through Anything (else)? Brings Everything To A(halt)? *lol* Hey, I needed the laugh. Bill (gates) Envisioned This Already . . . I'm having too much fun here.

Bill made Beta Cool. Now we know who to thank. Didn't MS also invent the "its not our fault it must be on your end" plausible deniability pat answer I've seen quoted here from ComCast(Company Omission Means Can't Assist Stupefied Technicians)? Sorry, still having too much fun. If they admit its their fault they might end up owing someone a refund, times X subscribers. $Kaching$ Won't happen. Money goes into companies, not the other way around. Lying is just an accepted part of business these days to keep costs down. If management actually told its techies or CSR's the truth? Someone might slip and let the public know. Better to look like complete idiots than cost the company money. Hey, its a job. Shrewd Business Acumen. Deny, deny, deny. Its the most cost efficient answer. Somebodies gotta pay the CEO's 25% pay increase this year. Think of all the money he/she saved the company by dumbing down the support staff! Harvard and Yale ain't cheap ya know to learn these kind of things. They've got kids and yachts to support too. *lol* Get use to it. Its the way of the corporate world these days.

Bill Envisions Total Assimilation

Enough of that . . .

I got the "Please wait a moment" message too when they were all out. Called on Sunday, they tried coming out on Monday and the rocket scientists the techs are couldn't ring my stupid doorbell . . . ? I was online tying up my phone line with caller ID for the internet. Their ID blocked calls went into voicemail with no messages left so I didn't know if it was telemarketers or Comcast calling several times. Needless to say I missed them by the time they finally left a message and I picked it up while online that they were outside my door. Now they can't even get out of their trucks to ring doorbells?

I'll guess they were kinda busy that day.
post #386 of 10842 Old 07-30-2003, 09:18 AM

I am pretty new to these HD stuff, so please bear with me.

Can anyone summarize the types of HD broadcast format from the different network that comcast carries.

I noticed that the WTTW HD (I think channel 191) is always the best. It totally blows the other so called HD channels away. What is different about it when compared to the others. Thanks.
post #387 of 10842 Old 07-30-2003, 09:45 AM

digital kid 97,

Welcome to the world of HD. Here is a list of what the networks broadcast their signal in. There is and always has been a debate as to which format is better 720p or 1080i, and some of that depends on what type of TV you have. Plasma's native display is 720p, while most RPTV's are 1080i.

There is nothing different about the way PBS broadcasts their signal it might just be that the source material was superior than any of the networks contents. With that said CBS does a very nice job with HD as most of their prime time lineup is in native HD.

ESPN - 720p
CBS - 1080i
NBC - 1080i
ABC - 720p
PBS - 1080i
FOX - 480p, soon to be 720p
HBO - 1080i
SHO - 1080i
post #388 of 10842 Old 07-30-2003, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

In addition to the different formats, there are all kinds of reasons as to why one program will look different (I use different rather than better because more clarity or crispness is not always the desired effect) than another.

If you look through the forum here you'll find other post by folks a lot more well informed than myself as to why one program looks "better/different" than another.

I personally love it when a program has that "looking through a window" effect (and I don't mean a saran wrapped window ), but from what I gather from reading different threads, that is not always the desired effect when the film is shot.

Soundstage and the PBS demo reel are two great looking HD programs on WTTW.

Enjoy.

Tom
post #389 of 10842 Old 07-30-2003, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mlx52
digital kid 97,

There is nothing different about the way PBS broadcasts their signal it might just be that the source material was superior than any of the networks contents. With that said CBS does a very nice job with HD as most of their prime time lineup is in native HD.

ESPN - 720p
CBS - 1080i
NBC - 1080i
ABC - 720p
PBS - 1080i
FOX - 480p, soon to be 720p
HBO - 1080i
SHO - 1080i

My RPTV is native 1080i and cannot receive 720P. Does that mean for channels like ESPN/ABC that my cable box (Motorola DCT5100) converts those signals to the 1080i format? Does all other HD receiver do the same thing? How will that affect quality? Thanks.
post #390 of 10842 Old 07-30-2003, 12:10 PM

on my channel list off the comcast web site it says i have Discovery HD Network?

Is this in fact true?

I dont see ESPN - HD listed anywhere...

185 SHOWTIME HDTV DIGITAL EAST
186 HBO EAST HDTV
187 ABC -- WLS-DT
188 NBC -- WMAQ-DT
189 CBS -- WBBM-DT
190 INF -- WFLD-DT
191 DISCOVERY HD THEATER
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version