Chicago, IL - Comcast - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 10850 Old 05-13-2003, 04:26 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are they offering the 5100 with 1394 firewire?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
good times!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 10850 Old 05-13-2003, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You took the words right out if my mouth Kipp. I asked two different CSR's, and got nowhere. I'll spring for the t165 otherwise...
post #33 of 10850 Old 05-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, it is the 5100. No, I don't think the Firewire is active. I remember reading in a different thread somewhere that Comcast was going to offer the feature later in the year. Can't confirm, though.

Mike
post #34 of 10850 Old 05-13-2003, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

I called this evening and was booked for install Thursday 8-12 AM, live in Plainfield. $8.35 locals ABC,NBC,CBS,FOX that's it + $5 for the HD box. I will post after install to give people and update about the quality of the service. May not see HD until evening though (Unless the Young and Restless is still in HD at 11:30). I called this morning and was told the the codes weren't in but there must have been by evening. Hello CBS HDTV Football, Fall can't come fast enough now.
Mike
post #35 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

Just to add to the flurry of information...I got an e-mail from a Comcast CSR yesterday (5/13) in which she told me that I would be receiving a phone call that day for my install (I have been on the 'list' for testers but was not a tester).

I'm interested in HBO and Showtime HD and have no use for the locals from cable as my OTA reception is just about flawless.

But I am dying for HDNET and HDNET Movies as well as ESPN HD...I'd love to get some word on those two channels. Last I heard a couple weeks back from the CSR was that Comast was negotiating with those programmers...who knows...

I would be hard pressed to keep cable if they cannot soon provide some information relatively soon regarding which channels they expect to add and when.

I have heard as others I'm sure are aware that Discovery HD and PPV HD are out at least at launch.

BTW...still waiting for that phone call

Tom

Does anyone currently using that cable HD box (5100) know if it is a simple hook up to rig both the 5100 for cable and still use my Samsung SIR T150 for OTA (to be able to switch between the two?). Thanks.

I would guess that if the 5100 replaces my current cable digital box then it will be no different than I do now...
post #36 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 06:29 AM

Anybody live on the north side? Here at Lake Shore Drive and Addison they first scheduled me for installation on the 14th, but then called to cancel. They said I shouldn't expect HD service until sometime in 2004.

Anyone know anything about this? Everyone who's getting service -- what are your locations?
post #37 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 07:33 AM
cjb

I live near Roscoe and Paulina and am scheduled for Fri. morning. They haven't called to cancel...yet.
post #38 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 07:51 AM

Just got off the phone with a customer rep who scheduled me for installation on Saturday(I live in Evanston). He told me I was on the old silver digital package and would have to switch to a new one. I was paying $61 a month and the new package would cost $64 a month. Add on the $5 a month for the HDTV box and it comes to $69 a month(not including the 29 dollar installation charge). Is this what everyone else is paying and does anyone know what channels I will get in HDTV. The rep was not very helpful in this regard all though he did inform me I would no longer be receiving the 7 HBO channels plus the STRZ movie channels I was getting in the old silver digital package. Starting to wonder about this whole deal.
post #39 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 08:39 AM
dwk

I am currently beta testing, and can get

Showtime ch 185
HBO-east 186
ABC 187
NBC 188
CBS 189
Fox 190

I have the basic digital package and jsut added HBO for $13/mo more.
post #40 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 09:23 AM

Remember, ABC will have some of the B-ball playoff games in HD-720p!!! I believe the first one will be 5.22.03
I really wish they would have kept Discovery-HD. Now that is what gave the "shock and awe" factor. (sorry I had to use that phrase)
During this past fall and winter I literally had friends come over just to take a glimpse of it. Oh how I miss it.

SR
post #41 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gtcharlie
Just got off the phone with a customer rep who scheduled me for installation on Saturday(I live in Evanston). He told me I was on the old silver digital package and would have to switch to a new one. I was paying $61 a month and the new package would cost $64 a month. Add on the $5 a month for the HDTV box and it comes to $69 a month(not including the 29 dollar installation charge). Is this what everyone else is paying and does anyone know what channels I will get in HDTV. The rep was not very helpful in this regard all though he did inform me I would no longer be receiving the 7 HBO channels plus the STRZ movie channels I was getting in the old silver digital package. Starting to wonder about this whole deal.

Something doesn't sound right, Charlie. I have digital cable (around $49.00 a month, don't recall which one it is) and was told it would just be a $5.00 upgrade for the HD box. If you moved up to a bigger package (sounds like "Gold" or "Platinum" or something) you should be receiving more channels, not losing some.

I would suggest calling in to check. There are people on here ordering basic analog cable for $8.35 a month and paying $5.00 for the HD box. I think your CSR was goofy.

Mike
post #42 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 12:39 PM

Called Comcast on Monday and they said nothing until mid June. Called back today and the csr seemed to be an old pro at adding the HDTV package. WooHoo.... I have standard analog and internet..... $29.99 install fee and $5 /month rental for the 5100..... scheduled to be installed next Monday the 19th. I'm located in DeKalb for those wondering about availability. They don't seem to have a "fee" for the HD local signals, no mention of the $8.95/month charge posted earlier. I'll update after install.
post #43 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 01:44 PM

I just spoke to two CSR's within 5 minutes of each other at Comcast and got to completely different stories.

The first CSR told me that the package was starting May 15th and that it was an additional $5.00 for the 5100 box. When I told her I did not have any cable service I asked what the minimum package I needed to get the HD channels. I was told I needed the Digital Classic package and the cost for that was $51.69 plus the $5.00 for the box. I said thank you and immediately hung up and called back.

The second CSR told me the basic package was $12.84 plus an additional $5.00 for the box to receive HD. The current HD package included CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX (I know it isn't HD). She told me you could also add Showtime, HBO and Discovery HD channels. This CSR indicated that roll-out was scheduled for 5/23 in my area, and she took my name and number for someone to call me when they had boxes available to install for customers.

Not sure what the real story is, but if Comcast adds ESPN-HD anytime before September, I think I will kiss D* goodbye.

JT
post #44 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 02:50 PM

Whooaaah! Just called and got an appt. for 5/21. I have internet, basic cable and dig. phone already. The cost for HD is simply rental of the box, $5.00. I may finally see what CBS has to offer in HD since CBS-OTA is so awful!
post #45 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 03:37 PM

I live in the fox valley, and was just told that comcast is now able to do hdtv in my area. I am now using directv for my htdv using a zenith set top box. I order to use comcast service will my zenith box be useless?
post #46 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
After reading the intial flurry of messages regarding Comcast accepting hi-def service orders, I took the plunge and started calling.

*** One big tip: if the CSR you speak to insists that they're only testing, hang up and call again. ***

The first two guys I spoke to late this afternoon insisted that there was a select pool of 600 users in the Chicagoland area, and service will launch to the general public sometime during the summer. I got a little frustrated, so I hung up and made myself some dinner. I guess there was a shift change around 6:00 pm, because I called again and spoke to a rep named Mike. He said I was his first customer to sign up, and yes - they were just informed about the program today. It took him a while to schedule a service call for me, but I was more than happy to spend the extra minutes on the phone with a guy who was willing to sign me up for the service.

As reported in other messages, the cost is $29.99 for installation and $5/month for box rental. I already subscribe for the Platinum package, so there was no additional charge for HBO and Showtime.

Can't wait until next Wednesday, sometime between 1:00 - 5:00 pm.

Flicks? Here's
. And I've
, too.
post #47 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'd called Comcast previously and gotten responses ranging from May 2003 to Q1-2 2004, but I just called and I'm scheduled for Saturday from 1-5! I'm in Old Irving Park (addison/pulaski area).

It does seem to be luck of the draw whether you get a CSR who actually reads the memos from management or whatever internal communication mode they use.

Anyway, one question for any of you beta testers: will the 5100 allow for simultaneous component and s-video out? I plan on hooking the box up at 720p to my Samsung, but want to continue to let me Tivo get a feed. Will this be possible?

Other than that concern (which should be alleviated when Tivo finally releases their HD version -- fall?), I'm incredibly excited to finally see HDTV on my new TV!

Michael
post #48 of 10850 Old 05-14-2003, 06:37 PM

Hi, I've been reading about Comcast HDTV in Chicago for a long time but never registered until now. I just signed up and have an installation date this coming Tuesday. Just a quick question, do the installers supply all the cables and what DD audio cable do they use, coaxial or optical? And another thing the CSR told me, she said that I would have to change to their new digital silver package which would debut at the end of the month. I asked what the difference was and it was $65/month but the main difference was that she said Starz was becoming a premium channel and no longer offered together with Encore in the digital basic and higher packages. So in essence I will have to pay $65/month for digital silver and $5/month for the Motorola 5100 box, which comes to $70. Is that right and are we losing Starz at the end of the month?
post #49 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Sanman19, the installer will provide component video cables. They do not provide a digital cable. The box will accept a coaxial or optical cable. I used an optical because my receiver only has one coaxial input which I use for my DVD player..

MJVanDam, the box does have simultaneous S-Video and Component Output. I have my S-VHS VCR hooked up that way.

I have not heard a thing about new packages. I will have a difficult time accepting a $70.00 a month cable bill

Mike K.
post #50 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

CURRENTLY WATCHING yOUNG AND WRESTLESS IN HD FROM CBS!!! (not that I watch the show but I knew it was in HD. Looks great so far. Come on September, I'm ready (and hope) for some NFL football, hell college too!!
MIke
post #51 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

They signed me up for the $50+ HDTV package. Now I was told Local Digital channels for $8.35 FOX, CBS,NBC, ABC and nothing else. Now I'm on the phone with them and being told otherwise. Anyone a tester that just receives those channels for that price? I will be might upset if I will have to pay that much for channels I receive from D*. And i'll tell them to stick their $30 install charge.
Mike
post #52 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 10:52 AM

Thanks everyone for keeping us informed that this event is finally happening!
It'd be great if those who receive the new Comcast service could post their impressions of picture quality and, if possible, make comparisons to DirectTV and Dish (which just announced HD offerings).

Although I have Comcast for Internet, local phone, and basic cable, I haven't yet made a decision about what to do for HDTV. Your comments and especially your comparisons would be very helpful.

Thanks,
- Scott

Panasonic RP56
Yamaha RXV2200
B&W 603S3, LCR650, ASW600, CCM50s x3
Monster HTS2500 MKII
TV: saving for a plasma!
post #53 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 11:02 AM

Everyone remember to post where you are!!!!!

We folks in parts of the city where service "won't be available until first quarter 2004" and so on want to know whether the guys across the street are getting the new service!!!

This is just as important as price and package.

Keep the info flowing! Long live the INTERNET!!!
post #54 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 11:16 AM

Does anyone in Wrigleyville have this service yet or know if it is it available in the Wrigleyville area?

thanks--john
post #55 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 11:19 AM

I am borderline Wrigleyville (3450 North and the Lake); they say nothing till 2004. But don't let this stop you from calling!
post #56 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I live in Elmhurst and have been a tester for about a month or so.
The picture isn't as good as OTA, but I can't get HBO and Showtime OTA.
That's the main reason I got it. Although I wish I could record on my JVC D-VHS from the 5100 box.

MJVanDam,
I have mine running to my Samsung 507 and TiVo and have not come across any issues. The one thing that is a pain is that my TiVo is recording shows all the time and if TiVo is recording a show, I can't watch HD HBO or Showtime. That's my biggest issue.

I also had to upgrade my package to get HBO and SHO.
Does anyone know if they plan on offering a HD package that includes HBO and SHO? I really don't care about locals.

Jeff

Jeff
post #57 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 12:42 PM

Another Tivo user here wondering how the non-hdtv channels look using the 5100. Wiil the tivo be able to record the HD channels through it's s-video input?

I'm currently using comcast's motorola 2000 series digital cable box and it does not even have an s-video output. I'm guessing that picture quality will be better with the 5100 on all channels but is comparable to DTV or Dish?

Thanks
post #58 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

I didn't notice any difference in quality of the picture through TiVo. All my OTA channels look better than TiVo still.

However, I have been recording some shows that are in HD on the HD channels on TiVo. They will record but not in HD. However, they look alot better than their digital counterparts. But, the image will not be as big as the digital channels image. It's hard to explain but it works.

Jeff

Jeff
post #59 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 01:47 PM

Hey, for those of you that just recently ordered HDTV, about how much would you be spending a month including the $5/month for the cable box. Is the minimum requirement their digital silver package?

I'm asking because I'm already subscribed to the present silver package at $61.99 a month and I was asked to upgrade to their "new" silver package which would debut at the end of the month for a price of $64.99 or else I couldn't get the HD box. Should I call back and switch back to their old silver plan? I'm confused what's going on here...
post #60 of 10850 Old 05-15-2003, 02:44 PM

Did anyone that has the 5100 get the remote for it?
When they swapped my digital cable box in February they didn't leave me a new remote. Instead they left the same one.
Just wondering.

SR
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page