Chicago, IL - Comcast - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 10869 Old 11-04-2003, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got my Hitachi 51F500 on Saturday. I had arranged to cut my satellite service today. I got the "ditch the ditch" program from Comcast which gives you $25 off your package for 16 months. What a deal. They take your old receiver which is worthless anyway.

Comcast was scheduled for yesterday. I got the guy that knows HD. First he found my cable supply was junk so he ran a new line to my house. The trenchers will be out later in the week. He installed the DCT5100. We used the newer cable that I ran when I got the ditch and the picture was perfect. (I did have to do the digital feed to the receiver myself) The HBO-HD looks fantastic. So do the IND 1 and 2 channels and PBS. But, Monday Night Football last night was simply incredible.

I had my installer and then another guy that showed up to "help" or learn or whatever. They agreed that the HD picture was the best they had seen. Over the weekend I had used some of the tweaks found in other areas of this forum to improve the picture so I knew it was pretty good. Anyway, I couldn't be happier right now with the service. Maybe the reasons for leaving cable are gone now. Now if we could just get some more programming!!

I have been watching this thread for two months while I contemplated my tv purchase and signal choice. I just wanted to thank everybody here for all of the info. I had the right questions and the knowledge. Keep up the great discussion!

Red sky at night . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 10869 Old 11-04-2003, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll probably have to add cable back in someday (Comcast will add something I want that D* doesn't offer - like a regional sports network with lots of HD). When this happens, I think I will get the installer to use my cable instead of theirs - probably Belden 7916A (QS) of which I have a good supply - and bury it myself in conduit. I've seen their work in this area, and I'm not impressed with their cable quality or their trenching technique. The cable in my nephew's system (originally installed by Ameritech) is far superior to what Comcast uses. I should mention, however, that I've had excellent results in a variety of setups in several households with the Regal splitters (120 dB EMI isolation) that AT&T/Comcast has been using for years.

UncD2000
post #723 of 10869 Old 11-05-2003, 09:43 AM

Re: radio shack amp.

I have signal strength issues in my apartment and am using a bidirectional amp from radio shack. (actually using two of them - a one-to-one before my cable modem is split and then a one-to-four before I split into two rooms and multiple cable boxes).

have cable modem, HD box, 2 cable boxes (w/Tivos) and 2 tv connections. The amps do not interfere with my HD and vastly improve my normal channels for Tivo.

Again though, this amp is advertised for cable modems and PPV tv.
post #724 of 10869 Old 11-05-2003, 07:26 PM

Anyone notice that ED on NBC tonight was horribly off as far as audio and video. The Audio was a good 1-2 seconds later than the video. It was like watching an old kung fu movie. I am not usually home on wed and only watch the tape of the analog channel. But watching the live HD feed tonight drove me nuts. Is NBC HD always this bad? is this an NBC issue or a comcaset issue?
post #725 of 10869 Old 11-05-2003, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone else noticed that WTTW on ch. 191 has not been showing its usual demo loop stuff tonight? Alot more HD programming tonigh. Some short with Ashley Judd is on right now. Actually, most of programming has been 15-20 minute segments.

V
post #726 of 10869 Old 11-06-2003, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by trk306
Anyone notice that ED on NBC tonight was horribly off as far as audio and video. The Audio was a good 1-2 seconds later than the video. It was like watching an old kung fu movie. I am not usually home on wed and only watch the tape of the analog channel. But watching the live HD feed tonight drove me nuts. Is NBC HD always this bad? is this an NBC issue or a comcaset issue?

No. Last night was an oddity. NBC is usually right on, as are all the other HD channels - usually -.

That was brutal.

Tom
post #727 of 10869 Old 11-06-2003, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by trk306

I watch over the air and NBC Chicago always has the audio sync issue.
post #728 of 10869 Old 11-06-2003, 07:46 AM

I'm going to be purchasing one of the new LG HD set top boxes w/ QAM tuner (unscrambled). Does anyone know if Comcast scrambles the ESPN HD channel?

Thanks,
Dan
post #729 of 10869 Old 11-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ned215
I'm going to be purchasing one of the new LG HD set top boxes w/ QAM tuner (unscrambled). Does anyone know if Comcast scrambles the ESPN HD channel?

Thanks,
Dan

I believe that Comcast broadcasts the local HD channels in the clear, which means you can get them with your QAM tuner, but ESPNHD is part of the digital tier of channels which would probably mean that you would need their HD box to receive them, just as you would for INHD.

Mike K
post #730 of 10869 Old 11-06-2003, 10:11 AM

Then that means no ESPN HD for me (too much $$), bummer. Oh well, at least I'll be able to get CBS HD.

Dan
post #731 of 10869 Old 11-07-2003, 12:51 PM

last i checked ESPNHD was also in the clear and can be accessed thru QAM, INHD channels are not (bummer!). one thing i noticed though (and someone please confirm this), QAM is not passed thru FireWire and hence cannot be recorded using my JVC D-VHS. it's either not passed or copying is not allowed. this is a major disappointment because i cannot get CBS OTA...
post #732 of 10869 Old 11-08-2003, 03:23 PM

is it possible to record the output of the hdtv channels to an svhs recorder so that i still get the clear picture and the wide screen picture. the 5100 has an svhs ouput, and i tried it earlier, but all i could pass through was a letterbox image. also, since i have a sony grand wega II, will it even allow me to pass an anamorphic image and then pass it to the monitor via svhs cable? thanks
post #733 of 10869 Old 11-09-2003, 05:37 PM

Folks ..I really need some help.

I have the comcast moto5100 box and picture is great. finally connected a fberoptic cable from the digital out to a digital in on my Yamaha reciever.....No sound coming from the reciever at all!!! I also have a Directv reciever with digital out. I swiched cables. I pit the cable from my directv Which works fine) into the Comcast box and NO sound from the reciever. I then took the cable from the Comcast box(which didn't work) and plugged it into the the Directv reciever and it worked fine. This indicates cables and conecctions seem to be fine. As I said not only do I not get digital sound ....I get NOTHING.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Alan
post #734 of 10869 Old 11-09-2003, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by asrermd
I have the comcast moto5100 box and picture is great. finally connected a fberoptic cable from the digital out to a digital in on my Yamaha reciever.....No sound coming from the reciever at all!!!

Do you have the optical and coax digital audio inputs connected? If they're both connected, your receiver may pick up the first active input and ignore the other. I have this problem when I switch between the Mot box and OTA reception via the receiver in my Mits set (coax from Mits to Yamaha for OTA reception; optical from Mot box to Yamaha). I have to turn off the Mot box in order for the receiver to play the OTA audio.

If your setup is similar, try turning off the other digital audio devices first.

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
post #735 of 10869 Old 11-10-2003, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Not sure if people already know this. For the people that actually live in Chicago, I just got off the phone with a Comcast csr and HDTV is finally available in the 60622 zip code. They are using the Motorola 5100 set top boxes.

I guess they just completed the upgrade? Because when I called last month they said HDTV was not available. Can't wait!
post #736 of 10869 Old 11-14-2003, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by mark anderson
is it possible to record the output of the hdtv channels to an svhs recorder so that i still get the clear picture and the wide screen picture. the 5100 has an svhs ouput, and i tried it earlier, but all i could pass through was a letterbox image. also, since i have a sony grand wega II, will it even allow me to pass an anamorphic image and then pass it to the monitor via svhs cable? thanks

I have the exact same setup...tv and all. I have the svhs output from 5100 into vcr, then vcr svhs output to tv. I only get a letter box image as well, but the PQ is great (even though it's smaller). I can live with this setup until the 6208 comes out. I'm glad they added the Timers feature on the 5100 so that I can now record any digital channel without having to tune it ahead of time on the 5100 (since I don't have any kind of IR blaster with the VCR).
post #737 of 10869 Old 11-15-2003, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by FSugino
Do you have the optical and coax digital audio inputs connected? If they're both connected, your receiver may pick up the first active input and ignore the other. I have this problem when I switch between the Mot box and OTA reception via the receiver in my Mits set (coax from Mits to Yamaha for OTA reception; optical from Mot box to Yamaha). I have to turn off the Mot box in order for the receiver to play the OTA audio.

If your setup is similar, try turning off the other digital audio devices first.

Bingo!!!!

Thanks.. All is now well. Really appreciate your help.

Now all I need are some more HD stations on Comcast!

Alan
post #738 of 10869 Old 11-18-2003, 08:07 AM

Just an update for other downtown people waiting for HD to happen. Comcast rep told me Feb/March at the earliest. Boooo...
post #739 of 10869 Old 11-19-2003, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

I'll give you BOOOOOOOOO...

My high rise building in Old Town is talking to Comcast about switching to their services. The rep came back with a fax stating HD, DVR, and 3.0Mbps Internet "by September, 2004" and VOD "by December, 2004". I hope this is a conservative estimate, but it's usually the opposite.

Sigh.

Phil
post #740 of 10869 Old 12-05-2003, 10:42 AM

Anyone else notice that a lot of the premium channels are NOT passing through the Dolby Digital signal thru the 5100 when they are being broadcast? I notice this with Encore (E & W) and the multiplex Showtime channels (SHOX, SHOC, SHOW, SHOT, Flix, etc.). At the beginning of the movie on these channels, they say it's available in Dolby Digital 5.1, but Comcast isn't sending the Dolby Digital signal through. They only seem to send it for the main HBO and Showtime channels. thanks.
post #741 of 10869 Old 12-08-2003, 05:42 AM

I purchased a Toshiba rear projection HDTV this weekend. Called up comcast to upgrade to basic digital cable and HDTV. The earliest they could come out is Dec. 30. Currently all we have is basic cable and do not need a box for that. I have a couple questions though based on what they told me when I called to sign up.

1. I will only need one box, it will do both the digital and HDTV correct?

2. What is involved with the setup when they come out to your house? Will they run a seprate fed for the hdtv/digital cable. The other stuff is split for 3 tvs and I think internet, not sure if they ran a new one for that.

4. I was reading through some of the posts in this thread about the new hd box? Anyone have any idea when they will be available, the last I read was the first of the year?
post #742 of 10869 Old 12-08-2003, 06:20 AM

jpws6

1. That's right, just one box.

2. They just hook up the box to your existing cable and call in a hit to the box to set you up with the right package. Takes about 15 minutes.

4. (No 3?) The new box will be an HD/DVR Motorola 6208. Haven't heard an update beyond what you read here. Here's a link to the proposed box:

http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6208.asp
post #743 of 10869 Old 12-08-2003, 06:40 AM

Any news on when the Chicago area will get CinemaxHD and StarzHD?

b
post #744 of 10869 Old 12-10-2003, 07:00 AM

Anyone having problems with ESPNHD in NW suburbs? My friend's setup is showing not authorized message. He called comcast and they said he shouldn't receive the channel until the 16th.
post #745 of 10869 Old 12-10-2003, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chimchim5
Anyone having problems with ESPNHD in NW suburbs? My friend's setup is showing not authorized message. He called comcast and they said he shouldn't receive the channel until the 16th.

I've had the "Not Authorized" messages since Tuesday around noon. I called and was told that they're doing some work "converting from the satellite feed." I didn't feel up to doing the usual three or four follow up calls to confirm, but they're doing something.

The CSR said the channel should be back up in a day or two. I haven't heard about the 16th until I read your post. I hope I don't miss the Sunday night football game...

post #746 of 10869 Old 12-10-2003, 07:10 AM

Yes, I think the whole Chicagoland area got a firmware update that froze some boxes. All of my premium channel gave a Not Authorized message. Good news though, when I went into the service menu I noticed there were additional iteams including references to PVR, Hard Drive, the USB has been activated, etc... I was part of the beta testing in Chicago so I got one of the first boxes without DVI, so I could not see if this was activated by this latest update.

b
post #747 of 10869 Old 12-10-2003, 01:52 PM
dwk

Quote:

Originally posted by bkozlowski
Yes, I think the whole Chicagoland area got a firmware update that froze some boxes. All of my premium channel gave a Not Authorized message. Good news though, when I went into the service menu I noticed there were additional iteams including references to PVR, Hard Drive, the USB has been activated, etc... I was part of the beta testing in Chicago so I got one of the first boxes without DVI, so I could not see if this was activated by this latest update.

b

I was also a beta tester in Chicagoland, and did not get the DVI box. Has anyone gone back to Comcast and gotten a DVI box in exchange?

I was thinking of trying, but was waiting for the 6208's.
post #748 of 10869 Old 12-10-2003, 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwk
I was also a beta tester in Chicagoland, and did not get the DVI box. Has anyone gone back to Comcast and gotten a DVI box in exchange?

I was thinking of trying, but was waiting for the 6208's.

I recently got one with DVI because my first 5100 (without the DVI) fried about 3 weeks ago. Of course, before I got it, all of the CS reps denied that Comcast even has 5100's with a DVI port. They sounded like they knew what they were talking about, so I believed them...I was pleasantly surprised when I got my new 5100 that it had DVI. I have a feeling though that I won't be able to tell the difference in PQ once they activate the port.
post #749 of 10869 Old 12-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

I was getting Not Authorized message on ESPN HD sa well for past 2 days, but it came back in time for tonight's college basketball game in HD.

When I called comcast yesterday, first time I was told they are switching from the national satellite feed to a local satellite feed and second time I was told that their "24 hour crew" was upgrading computer systems. Both said it should be back by this morning.

V
post #750 of 10869 Old 12-10-2003, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Yup, ESPN-HD is back on tonight. Whew.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page