Forum Jump: 

post #8821 of 10868 Old 12-30-2009, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingdogs View Post

I am moving to the Oak Park area this week and sadly have to convert myself over to Comcast due to no satellites being allowed on the building and AT&T as usual not having their act together, so no U-verse is available.

I was wondering if anyone on this thread has any idea of when the digital conversion is supposed to take place in the Oak Park area and when I can expect to get the HD expansion that so many of you have been lucky enough to get. Any answers I can get to this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

you may want to do a little research before you give up. It's federal law that you be able to put a satellite dish in certain locations of your unit, even if it's an apartment. Let me see if I can dig up the info. I think I found it at dish-network's site

I tried comcast HD and their PQ sucked compared to dish, and that was with the new 3400 dvr

ahhh here we go

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads...lease_Form.pdf

I do love the phone and Internet from comcast
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8822 of 10868 Old 12-31-2009, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

you may want to do a little research before you give up. It's federal law that you be able to put a satellite dish in certain locations of your unit, even if it's an apartment. Let me see if I can dig up the info. I think I found it at dish-network's site

I tried comcast HD and their PQ sucked compared to dish, and that was with the new 3400 dvr

ahhh here we go

I do love the phone and Internet from comcast

Believe me I exhausted all my options in finding a way to keep my DirecTV, but most vintage apartments in Oak Park do not allow dishes on any of the roofs or facades. Also none of the ones we looked at had balconies that I could mount it to. Thanks for the research on my behalf though. I had read about this law and knew what I had to look for but ended up picking location over amenities. Oh well at least the Tivo HD helps alleviate the terrible user interface Comcast pushes onto their customers.
post #8823 of 10868 Old 01-01-2010, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingdogs View Post

Believe me I exhausted all my options in finding a way to keep my DirecTV, but most vintage apartments in Oak Park do not allow dishes on any of the roofs or facades. Also none of the ones we looked at had balconies that I could mount it to. Thanks for the research on my behalf though. I had read about this law and knew what I had to look for but ended up picking location over amenities. Oh well at least the Tivo HD helps alleviate the terrible user interface Comcast pushes onto their customers.

Ya, the GUI is from the 80's. it's about to get even further behind with the new dish 922 DVR with a 1 TB hard drive and built in sling. It has full HD GUI with station logos and much more.

good luck
post #8824 of 10868 Old 01-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathing Borla View Post

I tried comcast HD and their PQ sucked compared to dish, and that was with the new 3400 dvr ...... I do love the phone and Internet from comcast

Surprised to hear that you suffered poor PQ. Here in Elgin, Comcast HD is generally excellent. Local stations are indistinguishable from the OTA antenna feed.

This week I did an A-B comparison of Ch7 vs. ESPN on the Bears game and ditto.. no difference. Movies are excellent, and even the On Demand is very good. Not quite up to Blu-ray (Dark Knight A-B for example), but still very good. Dish is also very good, but when I do A-B comparisons at my Son's house, I have to give a very slight edge to OTA via antenna. In most areas (perhaps all?) Comcast does not compress the OTA channels. Having said that, the difference is not really significant when enjoying the show.

The HSI is excellent. I currenty get about 15Mbs down and 3-4mbps ups.
Paying for 12/2.

If I have one issue with Comcast, it is cost. My teaser rate expired, and my rate went up about $60 per month. Granted I have 7 TVs in the house, 3 HD DVRs, and 1 HD box w/o DVR. In the spring when they lose the analog expanded basics, I will need 2 more HD boxes, to keep watching expanded basic without losing HD. Hopefully I can work a deal then.
post #8825 of 10868 Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay2031 View Post

It must have been very local to you, as I didn't loose HSI/CDV/TV and I am right near the Algonquin headend that feeds Cville, E & W Dundee. I was up till 2:30am and never a blip. What side of the river are you on?

West of the river. They didn't give many details, just said there was an outage in the area but I wasn't in it, but then later suggested my issues may have been linked to it (after going through the checklist to see whether my model was plugged in, etc.).
post #8826 of 10868 Old 01-03-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Local ABC-7 news via Comcast is difficult to watch. Every segment change, the volume starts off high then lowers notches. This is annoying as its startling when this occurs.

Is anyone else noticing this?
post #8827 of 10868 Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post

Local ABC-7 news via Comcast is difficult to watch. Every segment change, the volume starts off high then lowers notches. This is annoying as its startling when this occurs.

Is anyone else noticing this?

Yes!!!! My wife said that Ron Majors even discussed it on the Roe Conn Show one day. It drives me crazy!!!!!!!!
post #8828 of 10868 Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacktheg View Post

Yes!!!! My wife said that Ron Majors even discussed it on the Roe Conn Show one day. It drives me crazy!!!!!!!!

Its been happening for a while now, atleast a year. I am certain that they know this is happening. Its almost like they are using it as a strategy to keep viewers awake.

Honestly, I end up turning on NBC because I cant stand it. Especially when they do the music intro!
post #8829 of 10868 Old 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just got a second Tivo HD and called Comcast for another cable card. Currently I'm paying $1.50 a month for the multichannel card on the 1st tivo and they said it would be $5.95 month for the second card (the first was discounted). Is that what everyone else is paying for 2 cards? I'm in Warrenville.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #8830 of 10868 Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 AM

My most recent bill saw a rate hike to $5.95 per card (I have 2 M-Cards and one converter box for VOD). Prior to that I was paying $2.95 per card.
post #8831 of 10868 Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic View Post

I just got a second Tivo HD and called Comcast for another cable card. Currently I'm paying $1.50 a month for the multichannel card on the 1st tivo and they said it would be $5.95 month for the second card (the first was discounted). Is that what everyone else is paying for 2 cards? I'm in Warrenville.

I recently ordered Comcast, and they told me each CC would be $1.50. They are coming to "install" them today.

Mark
post #8832 of 10868 Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm in Naperville, and yes, I get that same charge. I got my TiVo HD back when Comcast did not have M-Cards, so I have two S-Cards in there, plus a third in my TV. Here's my setup and billing:

- First card in TiVo HD: free
- Second card in TiVo HD: $1.50 (line item on bill is "T3ddvrcards $1.50")
- Third card in Sony TV: $5.99 (additional digital outlet, coded as "Digital Access Fee")

The problem is that the second TiVo is considered an additional outlet, so that $5.99/month fee is actually an additional outlet fee, not a CableCARD fee. However, the M-Card that's in your first TiVo should be free, not $1.50. Each outlet is supposed to get one CableCARD included in the outlet fee, and you get one outlet included with whatever digital package you have.
post #8833 of 10868 Old 01-04-2010, 06:23 PM
QuadMersed in bass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

I recently ordered Comcast, and they told me each CC would be $1.50. They are coming to "install" them today.

Mark

The "technician" only had one card, so they have to come back on Saturday. Installation and initialization with my Sony DHG HDD-500 was a breeze.

Mark
post #8834 of 10868 Old 01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Need Comedy Central in HD here. Daily Show just went HD and South Park has been for awhile.
post #8835 of 10868 Old 01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

From Comcast's web site:

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...4-def06cced0db

Text of above link:

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $2.05 for the second CableCARD.

If additional CableCARDs are needed for other devices that are installed on additional outlets, you will not be charged for the first CableCARD installed on this outlet as the cost is included in the additional outlet fee. In addition to the cost of the digital cable service, you will be charged a regulated fee of up to $2.05 for the second CableCARD on the additional outlet.

**Note: The same pricing schedule will be applicable to additional outlets with multi-CableCARD devices, e.g. no charge for first CableCARD on the third outlet and an additional regulated fee of up to $2.05 for the second CableCARD in addition to the digital service charge.

Disclaimer: Regulated Prices quoted above may not apply in all markets. Please call 1-800-COMCAST to learn more about Regulated Prices for your area.

I hope this helps.

Mark
post #8836 of 10868 Old 01-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post

http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FA...4-def06cced0db

Text of above link:

How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?
There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $2.05 for the second CableCARD.

The big sticking point is getting someone at Comcast to understand whether two devices are on the same outlet. Customers see outlets as physical things, but Comcast sees them as equipment. My Sony CableCARD TV and my TiVo HD are on the same physical outlet with a splitter, but I have gone around in circles with Comcast getting them to understand that. The answer has always been the same, whether it's a front-line rep or someone who actually knows something: outlet = equipment. Additional digital equipment = additional digital outlet = $5.99.

They wore me out. I had enough troubles just getting them to properly pair cards for my TiVo HD, so I'm reluctant to mess with it any further.
post #8837 of 10868 Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioinsomnia View Post

I'm in Naperville, and yes, I get that same charge. I got my TiVo HD back when Comcast did not have M-Cards, so I have two S-Cards in there, plus a third in my TV. Here's my setup and billing:

- First card in TiVo HD: free
- Second card in TiVo HD: $1.50 (line item on bill is "T3ddvrcards $1.50")
- Third card in Sony TV: $5.99 (additional digital outlet, coded as "Digital Access Fee")

The problem is that the second TiVo is considered an additional outlet, so that $5.99/month fee is actually an additional outlet fee, not a CableCARD fee. However, the M-Card that's in your first TiVo should be free, not $1.50. Each outlet is supposed to get one CableCARD included in the outlet fee, and you get one outlet included with whatever digital package you have.

I also currently have a Comcast HD DVR, so I wonder if that's why I'm paying for the card? We'll see what happens... Also I have a STB for the bedroom which I thought I was paying for and asked if it would be free after I return the DVR, but the billing doesn't show it... The DVR is going back after the 2nd Tivo is setup.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #8838 of 10868 Old 01-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Hi everyone.
I have several tv's with qam tuners, as well as a pc tuner card with qam capabilities. The unencrypted HD feeds of WCIU and WPWR, which at times have been on 26.1 and 50.1 or 85.2 and 85.1 are now nowhere to be found on any of my tvs. Anyone have a similar, non-cable box setup and having the same problems. I'm in the Joliet area BTW.
post #8839 of 10868 Old 01-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBYOS View Post

Hi everyone.
I have several tv's with qam tuners, as well as a pc tuner card with qam capabilities. The unencrypted HD feeds of WCIU and WPWR, which at times have been on 26.1 and 50.1 or 85.2 and 85.1 are now nowhere to be found on any of my tvs. Anyone have a similar, non-cable box setup and having the same problems. I'm in the Joliet area BTW.

So you have rescanned all the tuners and they still don't show up? If Comcast moves the physical QAM's around, the PSIP data will stay the same on local stations and the virtual channel would stay the same.
post #8840 of 10868 Old 01-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:

I also currently have a Comcast HD DVR, so I wonder if that's why I'm paying for the card?

That's probably the reason. Their system likely sees the DVR as your first digital outlet.
post #8841 of 10868 Old 01-06-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBYOS View Post

Hi everyone.

Try 102-1 for WCIU-HD and 102-2 for WPWR-HD
post #8842 of 10868 Old 01-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Looks like Comcast is rollling out a new guide. Not sure when we'll get it here in Chicagoland.

Guide home page: http://www.comcast.net/newguide/

Guide video: http://blog.comcast.com/2010/01/new-...en-better.html

tim
post #8843 of 10868 Old 01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like they copied a bunch from Tivo other than delete multiple entries at once. I just wish tivo had the PIP like Comcast vs playing the show in the background like tivo does.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #8844 of 10868 Old 01-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

I have a friend that lives in Streamwood in Zipcode 60107.
Does anyone know when the analog cutoff will occur in this area?
post #8845 of 10868 Old 01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by videoguy60467 View Post

I have a friend that lives in Streamwood in Zipcode 60107.
Does anyone know when the analog cutoff will occur in this area?

Probably the same as Schaumburg, which is July 27.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #8846 of 10868 Old 01-14-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this in my latest bill:
Quote:

Eff. 1/28/10, WJYS-WEDE will be added on Basic Service
channel 249. A digital receiver or compatible equipment
will be required to view this new channel.
Eff. 3/10/10, WJYS will change to be digitally delivered
on its current Basic Service channel & a digital receiver
or compatible equipment will be required to view it.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #8847 of 10868 Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 PM

About time. Now I can finally watch JBTV!
post #8848 of 10868 Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post

Probably the same as Schaumburg, which is July 27.

Anybody know when Elk Grove Village drops analog?

Gilbert
post #8849 of 10868 Old 01-15-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Anybody know when Elk Grove Village drops analog?

I saw a thread that Elk Grove which is on the Rolling Meadows headend is Aug 24, 2010. This has not been confirmed.
post #8850 of 10868 Old 01-16-2010, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a weird one. I wanted to watch something on Encore HD, and the box said 'ONE MOMENT PLEASE, this channel will be available shortly.' I checked, and several HD channels were doing that. So, I went to the directly connected TV to see if there was a signal on those channels (based on my list of frequencies). Oddly, not only is the signal there, but it's NOT encrypted. You an watch the channels on ClearQAM, but not the box! I'm guessing the box thinks it's encrypted, and is getting confused.

The channels (Schaumburg) are:
Comcast, QAM, name (HD)
227, 131-36, Hallmark Movie
229, 134-46, Lifetime Movie
231, 133-44, ESPN News
261, 134-48, Planet Green
263, 131-34, Encore
264, 131-35, Fox Business Channel
266, 132-41, CNBC
269, 134-47, Bio
278, 132-40, Bravo
279, 126-33, Fuse