Chicago, IL - Comcast - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone else getting red,blue, or green lines when watching some programs on cbs hd? Off and on there will be a single line on the left of the screen which will appear for a few seconds and then disappear. One day its red, the next blue,etc. It does not appear to be on of the shows that are live,ie the superbowl, but I see it everytime I watch csi or any other hd programming on cbs. It does not show up on any other channels. I have a 6200 box and am in new lenox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jpws6
Is anyone else getting red,blue, or green lines when watching some programs on cbs hd? Off and on there will be a single line on the left of the screen which will appear for a few seconds and then disappear. One day its red, the next blue,etc. It does not appear to be on of the shows that are live,ie the superbowl, but I see it everytime I watch csi or any other hd programming on cbs. It does not show up on any other channels. I have a 6200 box and am in new lenox.

Yes, I have been seeing the line (sometimes two) for 2-3 weeks. My line is one pixel wide and stretches from top-bottom of screen. In the left 1/3 of the picture. Sometimes red, sometimes blue, never green. I'm using the 5100 box with quality component cables to a 65" mits rptv. I've seen the lines on both CSIs, without a trace and coldcase. I've never seen this on any other channel. Thats why it really hasn't worried me - but it does bug the hell out of me.
post #903 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 08:33 AM

Yep I got em too. It seems like it starts after they have come back from a commercial break and go from SD to HD. Mine is also kind of wierd in that it seems to happen right around 9:45, almost like clockwork. I put on that goofball movie yesterday to test things with the sound and wouldn't you know no sound drops. Very odd.
post #904 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 05:04 PM

StarzHD and MaxHD showed up on my TiVo guide today, so I don't think it'll be long before they're added here (Comcast/Oswego). I just get snow on those channels now...
post #905 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 05:21 PM
rad
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Hopeless
StarzHD and MaxHD showed up on my TiVo guide today, so I don't think it'll be long before they're added here (Comcast/Oswego). I just get snow on those channels now...

They were turned on in Mundelein on Tuesday.
post #906 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jpws6

Yep I just noticed it too on CSI. I've got a 6200, switched over to OTA and it's there too. So it's not Comcast or the boxes, looks like it's CBS. I've also seen them during commercials so it's not just during HD programming.

Andy

Andy

Not a single Monsterously over hyped cable to be found in my system.
post #907 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 07:13 PM

Andy thanks at least I know it's not the 6200. Antennas don't work well by me so I don't have OTA. Do you have the sound problem where it gets louder and softer on CBS too?
post #908 of 10836 Old 02-05-2004, 07:49 PM

OK! They just turned on MaxHD and StarzHD here!!

I found a $20 rebate coupon on www.cinemax.com, so I subscribed tonight. I already have HBO, so my bill only went up $10. 2 months of Cinemax for free - great deal!! I was thinking of switching to Cinemax as soon as Curb Your Enthusiasm and Sopranos are over this year, (more movies), so this will work out very well for me. Not sure I'll even keep Cinemax after the 2 months, but it's a great opportunity to see if it'll be worth the money!

BTW, isn't CYE just hysterical this year??? The final line of this week's show had me chuckling for 10 minutes! (Larry calling to cancel his date.)
post #909 of 10836 Old 02-08-2004, 08:29 AM

Does anyone know if MLB will be available on InHD1 on Comcast this year? I am really looking forward to the Red Sox in HD.

The NBA games are not, which is really disappointing.

Also, how does one check one's firmware on the Motorola 5100 box?

Thanks.

Roy
post #910 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Firmware 07.07 was downloaded here in Bartlett sometimes last night.

V
post #911 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Received the update to 7.07 here in Highland Park, also. Seems to have resolved the subtle flashing problem I was having on the lower analog channels.

Anyone have any good input on DVI cables? Is there a difference in the image quality? My component video picture looks outstanding and I'm not sure what DVI will bring to the table.

My television manual (Toshiba 42HDX82) calls for a single link DVI cable. Is this the correct cable for the DCT6200?

Thanks for all your help.

Mike K.
post #912 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just connected the DVI cable to my Sony gwii tv over the weekend, and the picture seems to be just slightly better. I think my analog stations look a little better using DVI, so I'm going to stick to just using my DVI cable. A helluva lot cheaper to use DVI than component cables! Funny considering DVI is superior to component.
post #913 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 01:54 PM

As of 5 minutes ago, my DCT6200 still has firmware 5.03.
Buffalo Grove. Awaiting with baited(SP?) breath for DVI to be activated, have my cables and Gefen DVI switch waiting.
post #914 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Where did you buy your DVI cable. It seems that the DVI cables at Best Buy and Circuit City are considerably more expensive than the component cables.

Mike
post #915 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got mine from eBay for $15 total, including shipping. Just do a search for DVI and sort from lowest to highest price. I got the $9.99 sucker, though they are probably all the same. From reading other forums/posts on DVI, it's not worth shelling out a lot of money on a DVI cable since it's 100% digital. For analog cables (component, audio, etc.), it IS worth spending the extra money (I like BlueJeansCable.com for these types). I can't imagine you would notice any difference with DVI between a $10 cable vs. a $100 cable. Buy it from eBay and put the savings towards the ultimate universal remote! The Harmony SST-659!
post #916 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Anyone with the 6200 and version 7.07 tried connecting to their display with firewire only?

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #917 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if MLB will be available on InHD1 on Comcast this year? I am really looking forward to the Red Sox in HD.

Yes, about 3 a week.

http://www.inhd.com/pressReleases/press8_27_03.jsp
post #918 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 07:34 PM

I have firmware 07.07 in Mundelein, IL. Downloaded in the past few days. Now I need to get a DVI cable.

Will it really make a difference in PQ with a Sony Kv34XBR800 CRT TV? I heard that it really only improves PQ on fixed pixel digital displays (plasma, dlp, etc).
post #919 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 07:41 PM

What is the procedure to determine your firmware version, please?
post #920 of 10836 Old 02-09-2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Darren_C
What is the procedure to determine your firmware version, please?

This is for the 6200 - I think it works the same way on the 5100.
Two ways (either with remote or on front of box) :

1) press menu on remote, then choose setup, then choose cable box, then scroll down to see configuration, then push right arrow.

2) power off, then select, then arrow down to code module, then right arrow. (power off to exit diagnostics menu).

Marc
post #921 of 10836 Old 02-10-2004, 06:58 AM

I live in Tinley park and got the firmware sometime yesterday. Coincidence or not it seems to have fixed my audio problems that I have been having. I watched the Mummy Returns on ABC for a long time with no issues. I switched to CSI on CBS ( CBS is where I have the most trouble ) And absolutely no audio problems there either. If it starts again I know it's probably the feed. Marc On these forums you will get a million opinions on things. The CRT DVI issue seems to be about the only one where everyone agrees that DVI on CRT will not be an improvement and in fact component may perform better. I haven't tried it as I have been too lazy to get a cable.
post #922 of 10836 Old 02-10-2004, 09:12 AM

I went on Discovery's Website and noticed it mentioned Comcast Chicago as a place to view DiscoveryHD Theater. I was among the beta testers in the Chicagoland area and I do remember DiscoveryHD was on during that time. I am assumming that it was a deal made by AT&T. Wouldn't Comcast take advantage of a grandfather agreement made by AT&T like it did with CBS? Just curious if anyone else has noticed this and has contacted Comcast or Discovery for clearifacation.

b
post #923 of 10836 Old 02-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by foowigs
Marc On these forums you will get a million opinions on things. The CRT DVI issue seems to be about the only one where everyone agrees that DVI on CRT will not be an improvement and in fact component may perform better. I haven't tried it as I have been too lazy to get a cable.

I hooked up my DVI cable to my Toshiba 42HDX82 this evening. The results are outstanding. It's difficult to say whether it is better than component, but it certainly is every bit as good. I'm possibly seeing some extra smoothness on the DVI hookup compared to component, but that could be my imagination and just a little wishful thinking. At the very least, it allowed me to use the better component cables that I had been using for the cable box, for my DVD player, so I feel I am a winner on two fronts.

Lower analog channels look much better for the most part, also.

Mike K.
post #924 of 10836 Old 02-11-2004, 07:54 AM

Cable Unavailable During Download
I received the upgrade to 7.07 in Lindenhurst yesterday. My Sony RPTV is a couple of years old (ancient ) and dosen't have a DVI connection, so I can't comment on that. In fact I don't yet have a use for firewire or whatever else was activated yet. I really didn't notice any difference in PQ from the previous firmware.

One peculiar thing was that I was watching the TV when the download kicked in and I naturally lost the signal from the cable box (6200). SO I switched my input on my TV to Ant (I have a dual input TV, Ant and Aux, the direct feed from the cable line goes to Ant the TV out goes to the cable box and the cable box goes to Aux). When I did that the download immediately quit. Figuring it was done I switched back to the cable box and it immediately started downloading again. When I turned the TV off (cable box left on), the download again quit. The only way I could complete the download was to leave the TV on with the cable box feed until download completed. Is this normal? Why would the state of the TV have any influence?
post #925 of 10836 Old 02-11-2004, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drengka
Why would the state of the TV have any influence?

It sounds like your loop out to the cablebox is being "switched" by the tv. My setup is similar, but my loopout is "unswitched". Check your user menus. You might have a setting to override the default setting.

To prove/disprove my theory, try using picture in picture. In one picture use AntA. In the other picture use the cablebox. I'd bet you will always have the same picture in both or nothing at all in the pip screen.

One other thing, by the way you talk about your auxillary input, it sounds like a coax input. This is about the worst connection to use. I know you said you have an old tv, but don't you have component or at least svideo input? My 10year old toshiba has svideo. Svideo might make you a little happier - and maybe not!
post #926 of 10836 Old 02-11-2004, 12:01 PM

Sorry for the double post
post #927 of 10836 Old 02-11-2004, 12:03 PM

I don't recall any menu option regarding any switching of the TV Ant/Aux. WIll check when I get home.

I use PIP all the time (to watch 2 basketball games at once, etc) and one window is from AntA and the other is from Aux and I can switch either one independent of the other.

The Aux input is in fact cable (Coax). I also have Video 1 - 6 available. I use Video 2 for s-video input from the cable box and Video 6 for component. I left the Aux connected for simplicity sake so that my wife can watch TV without being flustered.

Thanks
post #928 of 10836 Old 02-11-2004, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drengka
any switching of the TV Ant/Aux.

Look for switching of the Loop Out (TV Out). It seems to me like the output of your loopout jack is changing, depending on what signal you are watching. Since you believe your PIP works properly when using AntA and Aux together, this seems less likely. Another problem that some people have reported when using the Loop Out has to do with either a bandwith problem or a bi-directional signal problem. Basically, digital cable requires twoway communication. Something in the TVs electronics hampers the bandwith or the 2way comm. I don't recall the specifics of this. I could see this being a problem for you when you turned the tv off, but seems less likely when you change the inputs.

The *************** is great resource in many home theater areas. If you haven't already, you may want to look in the sony-specific area to find out if your tv has any known issues. http://www.***************.com/htsth...t=&Board=UBB35

Quote:

I left the Aux connected for simplicity sake so that my wife can watch TV without being flustered.

I understand fully.
post #929 of 10836 Old 02-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone from Mount Prospect with news/impressions on VOD? It was supposed to roll out in Mount Prospect on 2/10.
post #930 of 10836 Old 02-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by vj9999
Anyone from Mount Prospect with news/impressions on VOD? It was supposed to roll out in Mount Prospect on 2/10.

I haven't received it yet.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page