Chicago, IL - Comcast - Page 364 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #10891 of 10920 Old 12-17-2014, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello I just got my bill there is no mention of Effective 1/1/2015, WJYS2 (ch. 385/687) and MCTV (ch. 386) will no longer be available on Limited Basic. where did you see this the only
on my bill was increase of rates in 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10920 Old 12-17-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 38
What I posted is a cut-and-paste from the PDF. I'm in the NW suburbs. Maybe it's being reduced in area as Wikipedia shows they are licensed to Hammond, IN. There's nothing about the main WJYS (Comcast 33 by me), though.

Need help with your Motorola DVR? Check the Wikibook: How to use a Motorola DVR
post #10893 of 10920 Old 12-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Hello where is the link where you got information from
post #10894 of 10920 Old 12-18-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

From the on-line full bill PDF on the Comcast site.

post #10895 of 10920 Old 01-05-2015, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a note that I still get WJYS 385 and 386 on my boxes (Digital Preferred). The DTA does not get 386, but does get 385.

post #10896 of 10920 Old 01-08-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed that 247/358 has changed from MeToo to Heroes & Icons, which is broadcast 23.2. No idea if it's just a Comcast getting the wrong feed, or if they will no longer carry MeToo?

post #10897 of 10920 Old 01-09-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like MeToo is gone. Comcast probably gets their feed from 26.4, and that has also changed from MeToo to H&I. The program guide has the correct programming, just not the proper channel name now. Even the broadcast 26.4 still shows MeToo as it's PSIP.

post #10898 of 10920 Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

There appears to be a major timeclock issue with the cable boxes, at least in the N and NW suburbs. The box thinks it is July 24, and the time itself about 6 hours off.

post #10899 of 10920 Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
There appears to be a major timeclock issue with the cable boxes, at least in the N and NW suburbs. The box thinks it is July 24, and the time itself about 6 hours off.
The time and date on my DVR is back to normal, but all my scheduled recordings are gone. I even went into the DVR setup to check the priority list and it's blank. So if you have something scheduled, you may want to double-check to see if it's still there.

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
post #10900 of 10920 Old 01-29-2015, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

My priority list is fine, and some programs for this evening are starting to show up in the scheduled recordings. Basically, with the time 6 months in the future, the scheduled recordings were expired out. Series recordings should fill back in, but any single recordings you set will need to be rescheduled.

post #10901 of 10920 Old 01-29-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I just noticed that 341 is not Cozi, but H&I. I checked with an antenna, and 5.2 is still Cozi. Early this morning, 341 was dead. Somebody reset it back up on the wrong channel.

post #10902 of 10920 Old 01-29-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd check but a car accident caused a blackout in my part of town. Argh!
post #10903 of 10920 Old 01-31-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Noticed that the box had been rebooted Saturday morning, about 4AM according to the diagnostics. Probably forced by Comcast to fix issues caused by the time screwup.

Also, Cozi is now fixed and back on 341. I noticed it around 10pm last night.

post #10904 of 10920 Old 02-01-2015, 03:12 AM

Liked: 11
With your X1 are you having problems with EAS system no picture no sound ? Also on your cloud service on the guide does METV (memorable tv) show up ? When we got it around Dec 21st it was there but disappeared not showing. Have you had any channels that record on dvr but won't play on smart phone ?
post #10905 of 10920 Old 02-13-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this on my latest bill:
Quote:
Effective 3/17/2015, WGN America (ch. 499) will be available
with our residential XFINITY TV 300 Latino and XFINITY TV 450
Latino packages. Effective 3/17/2015, GSN (ch. 161) will no
longer be available on our Digital Preferred Tier. GSN will be
available on our Expanded Basic Tier. For Business TV
customers, GSN will be available on Standard/Digital Standard
Tiers.
Effective 3/24/2015, Bloomberg Television will move from ch.
102 to ch. 62.

post #10906 of 10920 Old 02-16-2015, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
adding channels to the XX range? They need to dump it / remove just about all of the non OTA channels and redo the rest of the lineup.
post #10907 of 10920 Old 02-16-2015, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I think moving Bloomberg is part of earlier lawsuits and settlements to move it closer to related channels. With everything digital these days, the channel number is just virtual. I wouldn't be surprised if Fox Business is eventually moved, too.

post #10908 of 10920 Old 02-16-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post
adding channels to the XX range? They need to dump it / remove just about all of the non OTA channels and redo the rest of the lineup.
It could be worse--you could be one of the downstate Comcast customers that were formerly served by Insight Communications from 2001-07 (e.g., Springfield, Peoria, Champaign) and still have a long-obsolete lineup that Insight created in 2006 where almost all expanded basic channels from 24-72 were repeated in theme-based XXX-number blocks (e.g., CNN on both 26 and 407 here in Springfield; ESPN on 27 and 506; USA on 30 and 106). All while the few subchannels we get per downstate market are scattered throughout the XXX-number neverland.

If Comcast wants to move everyone toward a national lineup which includes 4-digit channel numbers for HD channels, they could just redo the rest of their lineup in smaller markets (including Springfield) to limit the XX channels to non-Music Choice stations currently on the Limited Basic (including subchannels), Expanded Basic or whatever CC calls it now (i.e. your traditional channels 24-72), and Digital Economy tiers, XXX channels for any SD networks above expanded basic (with NO repeats of 2di channel numbers on the 3-digit level), and all High Def on the XXXX channel numbers (simply just the SD channel number + 1000).

Larger CC markets like Chicago could have the lineup redone as Joe suggested, which would limit the XX channel level to only OTA stations and subchannels (plus public access).
post #10909 of 10920 Old 02-18-2015, 07:32 PM
APJ

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi.

Forgive me if I'm on the wrong thread (and redirect me please). I've been reading for hours, but still not finding information on how/if I can easily swap SD-DTA boxes for HD-DTA boxes. I've checked the Comcast site and the content is weak. I'm in the west Chicago suburbs and just swapped out 1 of my 5 SD-DTA boxes, for an HD-DVR (a Motorola DCX-3400-M - automatically sent to me by Comcast after I inquired about upgrades, etc...). That box may not be the best, but it's far better than the SD-DTAs I've been using for a few years. The remaining four boxes are model number: Thomson DCI1011COM which are only capable of processing SD signals. This was not a big deal since I've been using OTA for my HD content. I've been told (twice by Comcast) that once I upgrade my main box to the HD-DTA, the other boxes will process HD signals. That's not happening - as I've recently confirmed my previous comment, that the box only handles SD. So my questions are:

#1 ) What boxes are a reasonable (HD!) upgrade for the Thomson DCI1011COM?

#2 ) Is the monthly 'rent' significantly higher than the SD box?

#3 ) Is it true that you can simply show up with your existing boxes at a Comcast center and trade them for a newer/HD version?

#4 ) Is there a reasonable (considering overall cost & quality) alternative, that I can purchase to avoid the numerous boxes? (I'd consider adding a few more HD 'connections' on other HDTVs if I didn't have to deal with the darn wall-warts and $2.99 per month....).

Any help or redirection is appreciated.

Thanks
APJ
post #10910 of 10920 Old 02-19-2015, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

What level of service do you have? If you have Limited Basic, then there is no extra cost for HD. If you have anything else, then you must also pay the HD Tech Fee, which covers ALL devices, to get HD.

Since everything is encrypted these days, there isn't much of a workaround. You either need to rent a box of some form, or have a CableCard device, which usually also involves a rental fee from Comcast.

post #10911 of 10920 Old 02-20-2015, 12:59 PM
APJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyross63 View Post
What level of service do you have? If you have Limited Basic, then there is no extra cost for HD. If you have anything else, then you must also pay the HD Tech Fee, which covers ALL devices, to get HD.

Since everything is encrypted these days, there isn't much of a workaround. You either need to rent a box of some form, or have a CableCard device, which usually also involves a rental fee from Comcast.
Hi.

Thanks for your response. I have Xfinity/Digital Starter (and Performance Internet/50MBPS).

I was just told that new HD-DTA boxes are available at a new Xfinity store in Bowlingbrook. I was told $15 (per box) as a one time fee to trade in the old boxes, then the normal rate I've been paying as described earlier. Since I was told over the phone that there are 90+ in stock, I'll trade them later today.
post #10912 of 10920 Old 02-20-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

$15???? That's obscene. Are you sure that's if you go to a store to get it, or if that's a shipping fee if you do it through the mail? From what I've heard, you can just go to a store and swap it out, no extra cost.

post #10913 of 10920 Old 02-20-2015, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
#4 ) Is there a reasonable (considering overall cost & quality) alternative, that I can purchase to avoid the numerous boxes? (I'd consider adding a few more HD 'connections' on other HDTVs if I didn't have to deal with the darn wall-warts and $2.99 per month....).
APJ
A lot of the choices have to do with what the rest of your setup is. I am quite happy with my Tivo Mini that hooks into my Tivo Roamio in the living room. I also have a 3 tuner HD Homerun Prime that is a useful way to get more than one TV running on HD without paying per box. I don't use that anymore, since getting the Mini, but that was how I got rid of DTAs in my house initially. It requires a CableCARD, but if you don't already have one in use in your setup, you can probably get one free. Also requires some sort of hardware on the TV end like an Xbox or a computer of some sort.

I am not guessing that these are the sorts of choices that you are most interested in, but I find those DTA boxes (and paying a rental fee on them) so abhorrent that I think these sorts of things are far preferable.

Good luck.
post #10914 of 10920 Old 02-22-2015, 07:13 PM
APJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncfoster View Post
A lot of the choices have to do with what the rest of your setup is. I am quite happy with my Tivo Mini that hooks into my Tivo Roamio in the living room. I also have a 3 tuner HD Homerun Prime that is a useful way to get more than one TV running on HD without paying per box. I don't use that anymore, since getting the Mini, but that was how I got rid of DTAs in my house initially. It requires a CableCARD, but if you don't already have one in use in your setup, you can probably get one free. Also requires some sort of hardware on the TV end like an Xbox or a computer of some sort.

I am not guessing that these are the sorts of choices that you are most interested in, but I find those DTA boxes (and paying a rental fee on them) so abhorrent that I think these sorts of things are far preferable.

Good luck.
Hi.

Here's an update for the last few posts:

#1 ) The trade-in on the 4 SD-DTAs was smooth and done without a $15 fee (So far -at least, but my Wife is wondering if something might show up on the next bill).

#2 ) The installation went well since I installed each box and let it 'power-up' and refresh for at least 20 minutes. During that process, I noted that the power pin on one of the wall-warts seemed short and eventually, I found that box was not getting any power since the internal pin size did not match the actual pin within the new box ( I was able to 'simulate' a temporary connection to get all four of them assigned to the account).

#3 ) The next day, I took the unit (as evidence...) and the slightly odd wall-wart back to the Bolingbrook store (which was hopping with people...). It took at least four powers supplies in their new wrappers (just like my original four were....) to find one that worked.

BOTTOM LINE: The external diameter of these very tiny connectors on the four wall-warts were identical, but the internal (female side of the plug) comes in two sizes. The pin that works is just a bit larger than a large (unbent) paperclip. On the connector that did not work - it was about 1-1/2 that diameter - placing the center pin exactly centered within the wall-wart connector - and therefore not making ANY connection. Once I showed this to a technician, they were a bit surprised and promised to add a note... somewhere. If I were to go there again and get a bunch of these, I'd unwrap each one and plug it in to ensure that the power-lights blink on each unit with each wall-wart.

@ncfoster - Thanks for those options - especially the possibility of getting an 'initial' CableCard at no extra fee, since I was considering adding a Tivo to the mix in the future. Right now - I'm happy with the final install of one DCX3400-M and the four HD-DTAs.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by APJ; 02-22-2015 at 07:32 PM. Reason: spacing/format
post #10915 of 10920 Old 02-27-2015, 01:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
[possibility of getting an 'initial' CableCard at no extra fee, since I was considering adding a Tivo to the mix in the future.]

Make sure to read the fine print about CableCard.

I have an old Sony HD tube TV that can accept CableCard, and I was thinking about ditching one of my half-dozen Comcast boxes.
I recall reading somewhere that the Card could only be installed by a technician thus requiring a scheduled visit and like a $50 charge. Deal breaker for me. Program a damn Card and let me install it, free.
post #10916 of 10920 Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

CableCard support is all over the place. I've heard of some that can do self-install. Comcast basically does all they can to force you to rent their equipment.

post #10917 of 10920 Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey man View Post

I have an old Sony HD tube TV that can accept CableCard, and I was thinking about ditching one of my half-dozen Comcast boxes.
I recall reading somewhere that the Card could only be installed by a technician thus requiring a scheduled visit and like a $50 charge. Deal breaker for me. Program a damn Card and let me install it, free.

You can definitely do self-install - I did for my Roamio several years ago. Go to the store, get a card (if you can; Lisle hasn't had any for a while), call 877-405-2298, and they'll walk you through it.
post #10918 of 10920 Old 03-13-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw this in my latest bill:
Quote:
Effective 4/1/2015, NHK World (via WYIN-DT) will be added on
Limited Basic channel 377.
Effective 4/14/2015, DECADES (via WBBM-DT) will be added
on Limited Basic channel 338. Effective 4/15/2015, WLS will no
longer offer ABC 7 Live Well in standard definition (Limited
Basic channel 345), but will continue to offer ABC 7 Live Well
HD (Limited Basic channel 217).

post #10919 of 10920 Old 03-14-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

From a post on the Chicago broadcast forum, it looks like WLS 7.3, which is currently LiveWell SD, will change to LAFF. Since Comcast didn't say they are dropping the channel, I'm guessing they will just pass on the network change.

post #10920 of 10920 Unread Today, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Just noticed a new channel 999. It's CCHQ, a channel for Comcast employees.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page