post #91 of 10839 Old 05-19-2003, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by SamR.
Whatever did they test?
I have been a tester since August and I have received all the channels indicated above as well as Discovery-HD.

I would call DirecTV if I had more than $400 to spend just for the HD-receiver. They have been in the HD game for much longer than Comcast-chicago, who has been in the game for less than a week (in terms of their launch date).

My moral is:
Give Comcast a break, this is the first run of a relatively new technology.

One last question:
What do you mean by "Prices will never be lower than now!" Is that a fact or because there is nowhere for the prices to go, but up?

"Sign-up now" deals are generous; free installation and a basic receiver for under $100. Then go to Radio Shack, etc., and find a <$200 close out on any of the second- or first-generation HD DirecTV or Dish STBs.

Free upgrades to HD are everywhere right now; only new subscribers can tell whether they're easy to get with new accounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 10839 Old 05-19-2003, 02:00 PM
dwk

Just curious, if satellite is the way to go why would you be tuned in to Comcast cable thread?
post #93 of 10839 Old 05-19-2003, 02:20 PM

I've been following the topic from the very beginning. For the forseeable future local HD channels are available only OTA (too much multipath in my location) or via cable -- THEORETICALLY at least!
post #94 of 10839 Old 05-19-2003, 10:35 PM

Just wanted to add that I successfully got my HD box installed today by Comcast without any problems. I thought the PQ was excellent after watching CSI: Miami, Everybody Loves Raymond, and King of Queens. So far so good.
post #95 of 10839 Old 05-20-2003, 07:22 AM

Still no luck getting my HBO activated. Comcast did give me a new reason today. The service rep said that they were doing work on the the system and that HBO would be added to my area(Evanston) today. This was the first time I was told that. Anybody else in Evanston heard this. She also told me a new channel would be added today-- Channel 191 which I think she said would be HD Discovery channel. We shall see.
post #96 of 10839 Old 05-20-2003, 08:29 AM

FWIW the tech that installed my box yesterday afternoon also said that Comcast would bring back Discovery HD. I hope they do.
post #97 of 10839 Old 05-20-2003, 02:16 PM

am in skokie and currently hooked up with new box. any idea if the optical output is supposed to work, am seeing dolby 5.1 symbols all over the place and still only have analog left and right out. also have the grand wega II, is the dvi ouput going to work. again, i knew more than the tech, and he said he knew more than his supervisor. what a system. thanks in advance! mark anderson
post #98 of 10839 Old 05-20-2003, 07:58 PM

I called today. The first woman I talked to kept repeating "Not until June sir" to every HD question I had. Finally, I hung up, re-dialed and got a new rep.

This rep said that sure, HD is available in my area. I upgraded my cable to the Digital Silver package (took HBO as my premium.) She said in addition to the Silver package I would pay $5 per HD receiver and $29 dollar install fee. That's that. She had install times within two days, but I pushed her off until next week when I have to be home for the day anyway... Now I'm seriously jonesin' for it to be next Thursday :-)

Anyway, looks like Lockport has their HD already. Can't wait!

So, I haven't seen in this thread, is there a link anywhere to the pics and specs of the receiver we'll be getting? Would just like to know what everything looks like before they get here...

Thanks all,
Grey
post #99 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 03:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Greyhawk68
So, I haven't seen in this thread, is there a link anywhere to the pics and specs of the receiver we'll be getting? Would just like to know what everything looks like before they get here...

Thanks all,
Grey

Comcast is coming to install at my house tomorrow but I recall seeing that the receiver is the Motorola DCT5100.

Don't have time to find a link to a pic right now, but a search through Google.com would find one somewhere.

Tom
post #100 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 06:24 AM

Well I finally spoke with a service rep who was willing to put in a little time with my HBO problem. She even called me back(gasp). Turns out that there are two codes(at least) for activating each high def channel. The other people who were attempting to activate my HBO were using the code for "rebuilt" areas. I am not really sure what that term means and either was she but it turns out evanston is not rebuilt. So she simply put in the other code and what do you know--HD HBO. Anybody else having problems receiving a specific channel or channels may want to try telling their service rep this. Anyway I am grateful someone took the time and got it right for me. Unfortunately it took me 5 calls to find that one person. She also said she has heard nothing about Comcast readding HD discovery channel but said that information they receive is so spotty and changes so often that who knows- it could be available tomorrow.

As far as the Motorola 5100 questions, I wish I could provide the link I found in these forums a couple of days ago to a site with a guide to HD and specifically the 5100. It was called "A guide to high definition and standard definition video processing on the dct-5100" and was written by someone at Motorola. I printed it out and in my opinion it was much more informative than the FAQ which is normally referred to here. If someone knows the site maybe they could provide a link.
post #101 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 06:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To find out info about the 5100 look here: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/miatasm/HT/5100FAQ.htm

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #102 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 07:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

post #103 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 08:33 AM

I called up Comcast and asked if I could get just basic cable and the HD box, and she said I could. It costs $8.35 a month + $5 rental fee, but I would get all the HD locals, and theoretically be able to subscribe to HBO/SHO/Discovery HD as well. About the only thing missing would be ESPN-HD.

Salad?! That's my food's food. - Neal

¥ H ¥
Huzefa's DVDs
HT Pix
post #104 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by huzefa
I called up Comcast and asked if I could get just basic cable and the HD box, and she said I could. It costs $8.35 a month + $5 rental fee, but I would get all the HD locals, and theoretically be able to subscribe to HBO/SHO/Discovery HD as well. About the only thing missing would be ESPN-HD.

That would be great if Discovery-HD was brought back. I love seeing those bugs on Insectia. Not sure about that geeky French guy though, he's way to over zealous.
If they added Discovery-HD, ESPN-HD, HDNet and a PPV-HD I would be in heaven. Not sure if my fiance would like that as I probably would never leave the house.
Is there any other HD channel out there that I missed?

Remember, an NBA playoff game is supposed to be in HD on ABC tomorrow, 5.22.03!!!

SR
post #105 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
My scheduled day for HD cable installation is today, and here's my story.

I must be extremely lucky because

1) Comcast didn't call and cancel my appointment

2) My appointment window was 1:00 - 5:00 and the tech showed up at 1:05 pm

3) After swapping my digital cable box for the Mot 5100, all the channels came in - including Showtime and HBO

A few observations. First, the tech said he installed about six or seven of these HD setups in the past few months, so he seemed fairly confident as he started hooking things up. However, the real fun began when the box was powered on and he called his dispatch person to configure things. The front LED display flashed "F1 - find" and then after a minute switched to "D1" with a twirling animation. The tech was completely puzzled by this - he said he never saw any box do that before. I suggested that the box was probably finding the frequency and then downloading an upgrade, but he seemed to shrug off that suggestion and kept talking to his dispatcher. After a few minutes, the box reset and voila! Up came a picture on the screen.

Anyway, I went directly to the hi-def channels and checked out Showtime and HBO. Showtime had a 4:3 movie on, but HBO was in glorious HD (Roxanne). The local channels came in pretty the same as OTA. I wasn't getting a 5.1 signal from the optical connection (Pro-Logic only), but I'll check again later tonight.

All in all, a fairly painless 15 minute install. Now if they would just add more HD programming...

Oh, and I asked the tech if he knew anything about Discovery HD Theater coming back, and he didn't have a clue.

** Update **

Dances With Wolves on Showtime and Summer Catch on HBO both came in beautifully in 1080i and Dolby 5.1. Somehow HDTV makes crap like Summer Catch somewhat tolerable

Flicks? Here's my collection. And I've seen a lot, too.
post #106 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 07:31 PM

was asking earlier about optical digital output and found it (there is a small plastic tab inside the tube that "protects" the signal that makes it look like there is nothing there). i've gotten 5.1 from hbo hd and it sounded great. now my problem is an audio delay or lip sync problems. it's evident on most hd channels, and on some standard analog channels like weather channel and cltv. any ideas.

thanks

mark
post #107 of 10839 Old 05-21-2003, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mark anderson
now my problem is an audio delay or lip sync problems. it's evident on most hd channels, and on some standard analog channels like weather channel and cltv. any ideas.

Are you currently using an optical connection with any other equipment? I'm going to assume no otherwise you would have known about the cover tab which is common. Make sure the optical cable is fully seated.

I have read of people experiencing this kind of problem in the past (not specific to your HD box, just generally) and it has usually turned out to be a problem with the A/V receiver. If possible try another optical port on your receiver or try the optical out from another piece of equipment to see if the problem still exists. Call Comcast as a last resort. You will probably have to work hard to get them to swap your box.

Is your A/V receiver a Yamaha? I think that may be the brand that I've seen the most complaints about.

Personally I prefer digital audio outputs. Cables cost less, can be longer, are not as fragile, and don't require the extra signal conversion. Try digital audio connects if the HD box supports it.
post #108 of 10839 Old 05-22-2003, 02:05 PM

I just got my HD Box installed yesterday. I read the owner's manual before the tech came out so that I could have all the wires hooked up and ready so all we had to do is pug in, register and watch! This was his 2nd install and he was pretty green, but a nice guy nonetheless.

When we turned it on the it kept returning weird code values on the box's display and he did not know what to do. He phoned the techs and they had no idea either. Then we noticed that they had me down as an existing digital cable box owner, which was fishy because I returned it back to the former ATT 3 years ago.

Well what happened was that they sent a ping to register my old bx, which I did not have and it got picked up by the new box and did not understand what to do. So, once they realized I did not have a digital box, they found the problem and we were up and running. Total time of installation - 30 minutes.

I am bummed that all I have is 4 channels (CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX). I need to get my OTA hooked up as well to get WTTW, UPN, WGN. It was $5.00 a month additional to my current package of Expanded Basic.

Other observations with the Moto 5100. I have outputs from the HD Tuner of S-Video and Component to my set. The Component output of analog is awful. The S-video output is better. But the normal (Coax) analog cable input directly to the set is the best for analog channels. Also, when viewing through S-video, you do not get TV guide/Menu information. You only do via component. This is wierd and I'm not sure why yet.

post #109 of 10839 Old 05-22-2003, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

I had Comcast install my HD cable today...it was the installers first install.

I was not home when he did the install so I could not ask him this question so I'll throw it out here.

He installed the DCT 5100 to my Colorstream HD2 input and disconnected my Panasonic DVD RP62 from that same input (and left it hanging there). I have my Samsung SIR T150 connected to my Colorstream HD1 input. This leaves me without a colorstream input for my DVD player.

Would anyone be able to lead me in the right direction to getting the DCT 5100, Panny RP62 and my SIR T150 all hooked up and working nicely together?

My TV is a Toshiba 57HX81...

I greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Tom
post #110 of 10839 Old 05-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

The fact is that 3 doesn't go in to 2. You need to find an additional Component input, but it isn't on the TV.

Do you have any component inputs or outputs on your receiver. Many Dolby Digital receivers have component switching. Second option would be to get a seperate component switcher. You could share a television component input with several sources if you try either one of these options.

Beyond that, you would be stuck using the S-video inputs of the TV for one of your devices, but it kind of defeats the purpose of all this fancy hardware we have.

Mike K.
post #111 of 10839 Old 05-22-2003, 09:53 PM

Depending on what you are looking for, there are a few options available. If you only need to switch the 3 component video cables, you could use any a/v switcher that has audio L/R + composite video. Use all 3 for the component video. There are many 4 to 1 switch boxes like this for $25-$50.

I have also seen a JVC JXS111 3 to 1 switchbox designed for the 5 cables (3 video + L/R) for $75 - $100.
http://www.svideo.com/com3.html

All of the above are manual switching (you have to walk up and push the desired button to switch inputs).

JVC also sells units with a remote control that switch component video and dolby digital, but they run for $350 and up.

Sony also sells a (manual) unit SBD-30 that switches dolby digital for around $100.
http://www.audio-direct.com/cgi-bin/...itemnum=SBD-30

-Kurt
post #112 of 10839 Old 05-24-2003, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the pointers Kurt and Mike...I'll head over to RS today to try and pick up a decent component switcher...

FWIW...Comcast installed my HD service last week Thursday and I've had a few days to observe and compare cable HD to my OTA which I've been viewing for a little over a year.

I'm happy to say I see very little to no difference so far in quality between the two I'm just a layman (carpenter by trade) not an AV guy, but to my eyes so far I have no complaints.

I've watched parts of two movies on HBO (Black Knight and Sabrina) and I thought the pq was excellent on both.

The pq on CBS, NBC and WLS through the 5100 (those channels in the 180's, can't recall exact numbers at the moment) was excellent too, much better than their local (2, 5, 7) counterpart.

Now we just have to find a way to get Comcast to add ESPN HD and HDNET. There are plenty others as well, but these two are the ones I'm most interested in.

For a service that is technically only a week or so old, I'm very happy with it at the moment

Tom
post #113 of 10839 Old 05-24-2003, 08:38 AM

STayfair,

Here is another option for component video switchers.
http://www.inday.com/

I don't have any experience with these products, but I saved this link from another thread on the same topic, because I may be in the same situation as you are soon.

RayB
post #114 of 10839 Old 05-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RayB
STayfair,

Here is another option for component video switchers.
http://www.inday.com/

Thanks RayB...I just found that same switcher this morning in a post at the***************.com forum.

Taking a look at it myself.

Tom
post #115 of 10839 Old 05-24-2003, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Got Comcast HDTV Box installed today...

It's funny how unexposed some people are. The installer was a really cool guy. Everythings all good and setup now but I found this funny...

He is going through the regular channels going "yeah this is obviously not HD" and I'm like "yeah but it's expected that analogue channels will come in like crap like that cause it's a digital TV displaying a low resolution signal"

But he started going through the HD channels (which are not currently displaying anything in HD right now). He is going through NBC, ABC, etc (the High Def channels though) which are displaying regular 4:3 signals at this time of day. Anyways he gets to this "The Firm workout" infomercial that happened to be playing on one of the High Def CHANNELS and he's like "yeah there you go, the firm in HD -- now that's a good picture"

I was sitting there like "is this guy serious?"

It's just funny -- he is installing HDTV and he can't even tell a 720p/1080i HD signal from an analogue one (that happened to be playing on one of the HD channels).
Oh well what can I say... I have HD now so I'm happy.

But the next thing to be broadcasted is at 8:00 tonight and it's Touched By An Angel. I didn't ever expect to say something like "man I can't wait till Touched By An Angel comes on tonight!!"
post #116 of 10839 Old 05-24-2003, 12:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by Lee K
I didn't ever expect to say something like "man I can't wait till Touched By An Angel comes on tonight!!"

Now thats funny!

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here ---> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8&page=1&pp=60 good times! www.illinoiscarry.org www.nra.org
post #117 of 10839 Old 05-24-2003, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kakster
Depending on what you are looking for, there are a few options available. If you only need to switch the 3 component video cables, you could use any a/v switcher that has audio L/R + composite video. Use all 3 for the component video. There are many 4 to 1 switch boxes like this for $25-$50.

I have also seen a JVC JXS111 3 to 1 switchbox designed for the 5 cables (3 video + L/R) for $75 - $100.
http://www.svideo.com/com3.html

All of the above are manual switching (you have to walk up and push the desired button to switch inputs).

JVC also sells units with a remote control that switch component video and dolby digital, but they run for $350 and up.

Sony also sells a (manual) unit SBD-30 that switches dolby digital for around $100.
http://www.audio-direct.com/cgi-bin/...itemnum=SBD-30

-Kurt

Using a A/V switcher will NOT work for HD and won't work very well for 480p DVD as well. The problem is the Audio part of the switcher does not have the bandwidth to carry the signal. And the Video part is probably not going to work without degrading the picture on even 480p. You then have one cable with a higher bandwidth then the other two and you then have a real inconsistant picture. For HD and 480p the only thing that works is a expensive ($250+) component switcher.
post #118 of 10839 Old 05-26-2003, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Well guys, I've had the chance to watch a couple of hours worth of programming through this Comcast box. I have been pretty much satisfied with the bulk of the material I have seen. I am smart enough to realize that things like Anna And The King and Toy Story aren't to be judged in terms of "full blown HD." So I have not been very critical with such broadcasts.

Some things that have bothered me...

I have noticed things like focusing problems on some shows. That really bothered me. One shot would look incredible, and then it would cut to another shot which would be ever so slightly out of focus. It seems every time this happens I am reminded that I am watching a TV. I am sure these are just issues with the different camera types and such. Doesn't bother me all that much, but I definately did notice it more on some shows as opposed to others.

Right now I am tuned into Leno for the first time and it looks fantastic. I can see myself watching this a lot now, as it is just so much more enjoyable and "live" watching in high definition. Hell I might go around telling people I met Jay Leno tomorrow. I really felt that I was a part of the show and I loved it.

Now I understand why there are so many on here complaining about the lack of material being shown in high def. It really is a completely different experience, and quite underwhelming when going back to regular shows.

I am really yearning for the whole Discovery-HD thing though. I could definately see myself paying an extra 5 or 6 bucks for that channel. Now what the heck is Comcast waiting for? I want my Discovery channel now!!

We need to get Mark Knopfler (of Dire Straits fame) to do a new rendition of Money for Nothing... I can hear it now...

"I want myyyyyy DTV..............."

Until then, I will be busy watching what we have now.

Wishing you all the best,
Lee K

BTW, Jimmy Buffet just played on Leno and it was the most impressive display of HD I have yet to see. WOW!! Simply stunning!!!!!
post #119 of 10839 Old 05-27-2003, 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lanwan97
ChimChim: Great question I asked this particular question, I signed up for basic with the locals for only 8.35/mth and 5.00 for the box. This is the only monthly cost. I do not have Cable at all today, I explained to them that I have Directv today and wanted to test this out first before upgrading any other service....

Saturday Comcast came out to install the Basic with the 5100 Box. installation went smoothly. I receive CBS, NBC, ABC and FOX 187-190
in HDTV when programs are listed.. It was nice to see CSI Miami finally in HD.

All in all very pleased, I now am running Directv through a Hughes E86 component (DTV input), ANtenna for WGN (through the Huges E86 DTV Input), Ultimate TV SAT (DBS S-VID input) and Comcast component (Cable Input for the other locals). Not to gripe but so many remotes and changes of inputs on MITS 65411 but I will take it.... Have Optical for the Hughes, 5100 and DVD running through my Yamaha Receiver all good..... Live in Plainfield....
post #120 of 10839 Old 05-28-2003, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone have any idea if there is a way to DIM or turn off the display on the front of the 5100 box?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page