Chicago, IL - Comcast - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 10850 Old 06-03-2003, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anyone having problems with Channel 190 WFLD-DT It will only comes in at 480i. Service man came yesterday said he fixed it, I wasn't home but no dice. They will be back out Saturday. Also Showtime 185 and CBS-DT pixelation last night

Also regular 2, 5 7, 9 do not come in clear a little fuzzy...

Mits 65411
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 10850 Old 06-03-2003, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by lanwan97
Is anyone having problems with Channel 190 WFLD-DT It will only comes in at 480i.
Also regular 2, 5 7, 9 do not come in clear a little fuzzy...

It's not you, the encoder at WFLD died a few weeks ago. See this thread for all the ugly details.

As for the regular channels, I noticed that a lot of 'em took a hit in quality. Food Network looks particularly bad coming through my Mot box - I may have to switch back to a straight cable feed to get a crisper picture.

Flicks? Here's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. And I've
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, too.
post #153 of 10850 Old 06-03-2003, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by asrermd
Does anyone know definitely if they will or will not be carrying CBS HD??It is the ONLY reason I would add Comcast since I cannot get CBS via OTA.

Thanks

I was on the phone with a Comcast CSR just now. She also noticed a conflict in her information (one screen showed nothing regarding CBS, but another did). She put me on hold and asked a supervisor. When she returned she stated that CBS-HD will definitely be in the line-up. It was a typo on the letter.

SR
post #154 of 10850 Old 06-03-2003, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Interesting information, Sam. I spoke to a person at corporate and was told the reason we were losing CBS is because of demands being made by Viacom for subscriber fees. Apparently Channels 5 & 7 here do not charge fees. CBS feels differently.

I hope you are correct, but we have seen so much conflicting information here about the cable HD service, that I can't help but be somewhat skeptical about the information you received. I would bet that if ten different people called to ask about this subject we would get 12 different answers.

Mike K.
post #155 of 10850 Old 06-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mikek747
I hope you are correct, but we have seen so much conflicting information here about the cable HD service, that I can't help but be somewhat skeptical about the information you received. I would bet that if ten different people called to ask about this subject we would get 12 different answers.

So true!! I agree with you 100%. Let's just all hope for the best.

In the meantime, big thanks to everyone who is keeping us updated with all of the latest information, no matter how little. Everything helps.
post #156 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lee K
So true!! I agree with you 100%. Let's just all hope for the best.

In the meantime, big thanks to everyone who is keeping us updated with all of the latest information, no matter how little. Everything helps.

Unfortunately, I agree with both you and Mike747. Let's hope they keep CBS. I will try to email another contact I have at Comcast. Will keep you folks posted.

SR
post #157 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 12:59 PM

OK, I would imagine this is more of an official answer as it comes from Comcast's HDTV Project Manager:
"CBS will not be included - negotiations are in progress but will not be
complete by launch."

Booooo! Hissssss!

SR
post #158 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SamR.
OK, I would imagine this is more of an official answer as it comes from Comcast's HDTV Project Manager:
complete by launch."

Booooo! Hissssss!

Well I guess there is a positive side to it. Seems like we WILL in fact be getting it, just not right away. Oh well. Hopefully PBS will have some nice stuff for now.
post #159 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 01:57 PM

I'll save some money by not getting Comcast as CBS was the only reason for me. It's too bad that considering the information process I'll never know if and when they ever add it.

Alan
post #160 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

complete by launch."

Booooo! Hissssss!

I was also told that negotiations were continuing. I hope that it can be resolved soon. It may take some input from us out here, alot of us out here, to convince CBS to drop their demands and provide HD as a service to the consumers.

I feel that they are missing out on an excellent advertising opportunity by not having the HD programming available to as many people as possible. Consumers with HD televisions tend to be more upscale, and provide an excellent target for advertising. Guess they don't see it that way, right now.

Mike K
post #161 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 05:08 PM

No Comcast HD service in Downtown Chicago!

Comcast came out today even after I request HD service and the 5100 box with the CSR who said they would bring one out. Went round and round with Comcast installer and his manager as I tried to get my hands on a box that had component outputs. They could not even supply a DCT2000 with S-video.

Comcast if you a reading this I sure hope you can fix this and supply us with digital boxes that supply a decent picture, a composite output does not cut it.

What we really want is HD.

Quick taking the easy way out by continuing to install HD in the burbs (sorry guys), fix your real problem and get digital HD and the 5100 boxes into the Chicago, downtown Chicago that is!!
post #162 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
i wish i could get hd through comcast but my bill's too expensive as it is[$80+ a month]anyone watching chicago on wttw in HD?

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #163 of 10850 Old 06-04-2003, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kevin j
i wish i could get hd through comcast but my bill's too expensive as it is[$80+ a month]anyone watching chicago on wttw in HD?

I tuned in to check the broadcast quality (I'm not a big Chicago fan, and the NBA Finals are on). The video is quite decent, but I'm disappointed that the audio is not 5.1 surround - it's coming through as Pro Logic on my receiver.

Flicks? Here's
. And I've
, too.
post #164 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 03:51 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast added WTTW (PBS) to their lineup?

Which channel is it on? Not that there is much of anything to watch outside the demo loop, but it something.

It seems like Comcast is really walking a fine line with keeping/losing it's customers.

Tom
post #165 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by STayfair
Comcast added WTTW (PBS) to their lineup?

Sorry, I got a bit off topic there. I was watching WTTW-DT OTA to check out Soundstage, although I've seen posts earlier in this thread that said Comcast will add WTTW-DT as channel 191 in the near future.

Flicks? Here's
. And I've
, too.
post #166 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed this morning that the channel labels for the HD channels have changed to WBBM HD, WMAQ HD, WLS, HD, etc., instead of the Test 1 or Test 2 thinig they have been doing.

Not seeing WTTW HD, yet, but it looks like they are doing some changes to the set up, so maybe that will pop up later in the day, as they had announced.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they forget about Channel 2 HD and just leave it alone.

Mike K.
post #167 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

PBS here guys!!

But.... I lost CBS.

Well this is definately cool that they are labeled correctly now.
post #168 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 10:10 AM

Quote:

PBS here guys!!

But.... I lost CBS.

Oh, how bitter sweet.

SR
post #169 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 10:39 AM

Got this today...

I'm sooooo confused

"Thank you for writing to Comcast.

Once the HDTV rollout becomes official, yes channel CBS (call letter WBBM) will be available on HDTV.

Thank you again for contacting Comcast."

Alan
post #170 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Oh, how bitter sweet.

I just called comcast and they or CBS has dropped the DT channel from Comcast lineup
post #171 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

So when does this "PBS Demo Loop" run???
post #172 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So when does this "PBS Demo Loop" run???

WTTW-DT (11.01) has hi-def programming on every afternoon between 4:00pm - 7:00pm. The demo loop is shown sometime during this block (although I consider the entire time period a demo loop since they run the same damn programs day after day). You can always look here for their schedule.

Please note that they're rerunning the hi-def Soundstage show featuring Chicago on Friday evening.

Flicks? Here's
. And I've
, too.
post #173 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 02:07 PM

"I have checked with someone and in fact CBS HD has been pulled from our line up and we have no plans to offer it at this time."

This is from Comcast corporate!!!

Now I can't get CBS via Cable or OTA.

Oh well.

Alan
post #174 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by asrermd
Got this today...
I'm sooooo confused

"Thank you for writing to Comcast.
Once the HDTV rollout becomes official, yes channel CBS (call letter WBBM) will be available on HDTV.
Thank you again for contacting Comcast."

I'm just going to run around in circles since it makes more sense to me.
Let the confusion continue.

SR
post #175 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, just got home and I'm checking out this HD WTTW programming. It looks amazing. This is a godsend to me. Personally I like watching this kinda stuff way more than sitcoms and stuff. I feel that these incredible shots of France and such show off HD much better than anything I have seen on CBS so far. Just my opinion, but I'm pretty satisfied with the "trade" for what I can see.
post #176 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, just got home and I'm checking out this HD WTTW programming. It looks amazing. This is a godsend to me. Personally I like watching this kinda stuff way more than sitcoms and stuff. I feel that these incredible shots of France and such show off HD much better than anything I have seen on CBS so far. Just my opinion, but I'm pretty satisfied with the "trade" for what I can see.

We'll check back with you in a couple of weeks after you've watched the same thing for the umpteenth time.

Personally, I agree - the video quality is spectacular (although it's slightly better OTA), but I'd rather have WBBM-DT. Let's hope Comcast and CBS come to some sort of agreement quickly. I can make do without the summer reruns, but missing out on hi-def sports will hurt.

Flicks? Here's
. And I've
, too.
post #177 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 07:10 PM

As much as I HATE Comcast I must agree with them on the CBS issue....Why should Comcast Have to pay CBS for airing a station that comes in for Free to people over the Air. This is the type of thing that will Hurt HD big time I guess have to break down and buy the 151 for over the air
post #178 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 07:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just did a comparison between the Comcast feed of WLS-DT and the OTA feed and the OTA feed looks about 30% better than what is coming in via cable. Too bad they are compressing the signal so much. Well at least they are passing through the HD feed.

Kipp
Are you boozen & cruisin the AVS? Join us here --->
good times!

post #179 of 10850 Old 06-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Golf19
As much as I HATE Comcast I must agree with them on the CBS issue....Why should Comcast Have to pay CBS for airing a station that comes in for Free to people over the Air. This is the type of thing that will Hurt HD big time I guess have to break down and buy the 151 for over the air

I believe that ultimately Comcast and CBS will work out their little problem. I hope it is sooner than later.

However, I must admit that the HD quality on WTTW was absolutely stunning. I saw a bit of the loop around 5:30. It was breathtaking. This is far and away the best HD thing I have seen to date. It rivals the programming and PQ on HDNet. I miss CBS, but expect I will be watching more PBS (at least until I have seen the programming a few times). It's not exactly an even trade, but for the short term it's a pretty good substitute.

Mike K.
post #180 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kippjones
I just did a comparison between the Comcast feed of WLS-DT and the OTA feed and the OTA feed looks about 30% better than what is coming in via cable. Too bad they are compressing the signal so much. Well at least they are passing through the HD feed.

I know comparing feeds is pretty subjective, but I disagree a little on the 30% better OTA. CBS, ABC and NBC seem to me to be pretty darn close to equal, maybe a little better OTA but I wouldn't say a third better.

PBS though, I find to be close to a third better via OTA.

This is just my opinion...and I don't even know if it's possible to compress one station but not the others.

And I'll agree with you on the last point Kippjones...at least they are passing through the HD...competition cannot be a bad thing.

At what point though do we start to raise our expectations and stop saying, "oh well, at least it's HD" and start saying, "it's HD and it should be better".?

IOW, when should we begin to expect more instead of the slow to non existent trickle of information and mis/non-information that Comcast has been feeding us for over a year now.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page