Chicago, IL - Comcast - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Umm, what happened to SHO-HD (185) and HBO-HD (186)? They don't appear in the guide anymore and I can't tune into them at all? Are any of you guys noticing this too? First they take away CBS and now Showtime and HBO aren't there? I hope this is just a temporary problem...

*edit* Both HBO and SHO seem to be back now, seemed to be gone only a few minutes. Is anything going on here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 01:49 PM
dwk

I have been having trouble getting 188-191. Comcast just fixed this today, but my HBO was gone. I called the tech and it reappeared about 5 minutes later. Not sure if it was my call or they fixed the problem.

I have all channels EXCEPT CBS!!! not acceptable...

COMCAST- nice work on my HD but GET CBS BACK.
post #183 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 05:01 PM

Ok people this time it is NOT Comcast that is in the wrong. I just got a call from a Comcast rep........We had a nice talk about CBS ...It is Comcast stance to NOT pay extra for HD .........all they want to change is the 5.00 fee to rent the box .......He said they are afraid if they pay 1 station it will open the flood gates for all of them and are bill will go Thur the roof. So if you people want to do something about start calling Viacom the owners of CBS ......also I am calling and writing letters to the sponsors to explain to them that the ads they pay for are NOT going to be seen by everyone because I for 1 will NOT watch anything on CBS that is not HD, This is the best way to hurt CBS
post #184 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 05:45 PM
Advanced Member

So yeah uhh.... any reason why I got SHO-HD and HBO-HD coming in right now? (even though I'm not a subscriber)

Is this like a free weekend preview or something? I'm not complaining though.
post #185 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Lee K
So yeah uhh.... any reason why I got SHO-HD and HBO-HD coming in right now? (even though I'm not a subscriber)

Hold it down. Somebody may hear you and shut it off.

Mike K.
post #186 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 08:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Golf19
Ok people this time it is NOT Comcast that is in the wrong.

I think it is their problem. They are the ones offering the service to me (that I am paying for), they need to resolve the issue with CBS, not me.

They rolled out the service and charged $30 to install a box and then two weeks later dump CBS? That is ridiculous.

Tom
post #187 of 10850 Old 06-06-2003, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, they need to resolve the issue, not us. However, their position is to our benefit. I don't want to have to pay additional fees for the HD stations, yet this is what will happen if Viacom charges Comcast subscriber fees. And if they can get away with it, then the other stations will try, raising the costs even higher. I miss CBS, also, but as a businessman I understand that they need to wait it out to work for a better deal.

Comcast didn't dump CBS. They do not have a national agreement with Viacom. The only reason we had it here was because of the issues between AT&T and Channel 2 with the interference problem.

In as far as the $30.00 install fee goes, I was also charged this fee, but asked about it when I called in to extend the HD service beyond the test period. I was told there should not have been any install fees, and the CSR credited my account. Check it out.

Mike K.
post #188 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the heads up on the install charges Mike, but weren't you an original tester?

They just installed my service three weeks ago, and even though they still appeared to be in testing phase I doubt I'd be considered a tester by them.

As far as CBS goes, yes I agree that it's wrong for them to charge for HD service and I'll be the first to admit to not knowing any details about what is going on. What I do know is that Comcast charged me $30 to install a service, and $5 per month for that service that included CBS. I am now two and a half weeks into it and I no longer have CBS. This is why I say it is their problem and I'm really not interested in hearing what I have to do to make it right.

That may not be the most effective stance by me to get the issue resolved, but I'm a carpenter who pays for and enjoys my HDTV. I was not paying for CBS HDTV while watching OTA and I don't expect to pay while watching through Comcast (who offered it at no charge a couple weeks ago).

Right or wrong that is pretty much how I feel. Time will tell...in the back of my mind I have a feeling things will work out for the better. I'm just a little impatient.

I think the lack of any information by Comcast publicly is adding to my aggravation. All of my information comes from the AVS forum...somehow this does not seem like the right way to do business.

Tom

BTW...I'm able to get CBS OTA flawlessly and have been able to for a little over a year now. I switched to Comcast for two reason; more programming options (HBO, and the hopes of ESPNHD, HDNET, Discovery, etc which I had no chance of receiving OTA), and to make things easier on my wife so she'd have all her channels, both HD and non HD in the "same place" so to speak.
post #189 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Stayfair, I was installed in the early part of the 2nd phase in early April. I had been contacted to be an original tester, but was missing one very important ingredient, an HD television. I resolved that issue in January, and through some contacts I had made at Comcast, was able to get hooked up two months ago. I missed Discovery HD by a few days. I was able to get the $30.00 knocked off, and would encourage to try for that, also.

I disagree with your position on CBS HD. Using your logic, you are paying $5.00 a month for the service. I guess you could make the point that the channel that replaced it, WTTTW, actually has more hours of HD programming on a daily basis, (at least 3 hours, but it's the same stuff everyday). So shouldn't you be paying more than the $5.00 a month because of the increased programming on a prorated basis? And this fall there will be even more HD programming. By the way, you aren't paying anything until after July 1st. Maybe it will be resolved by then.

I'm being facetious, of course, but I get the impression that you feel Comcast owes you something. I feel they are trying to protect us. If they agree to subscriber fees for what other consumers receive at no additional cost (I won't say it is for free, because of the cost of the hardware to receive it) it opens up a Pandora's box of possibilities for other broadcast companies.

In fact, doesn't the Viacom position seem somewhat discriminatory. We are being excluded from a service that they provide free in the same market, because of the method we choose to receive. This is a national issue with Viacom and Comcast, not a local one. (Incidentally, a lot more consumers receive their TV signal from cable than OTA). Maybe there's grounds for a class action lawsuit? Any attorneys out there on the forum that would like to take up the cause?

I am as disappointed as you are, but perhaps a little more patient in waiting for it to be resolved. On the other hand, the Sound Stage program with Chicago on WTTW looked and sounded better than anything I had seen on CBS.

Mike K.
post #190 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 07:26 AM

Just a suggestion ; I think a seperate thread should be started, with a well thought up title. Getting exposure on this ,CBS-HD charge to cable, should not be buried in a thread. Let everyone see what they are trying to do.
post #191 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by mikek747
On the other hand, the Sound Stage program with Chicago on WTTW looked and sounded better than anything I had seen on CBS.

You must have missed the Grammy Awards. That was spectacular, and it was in 5.1 surround. Unfortunately, WTTW-DT seems to only support Pro Logic at this point.

Flicks? Here's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. And I've
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, too.
post #192 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lee K

Thanks for the tip.

SR
post #193 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by cubsfan
Just a suggestion ; I think a seperate thread should be started, with a well thought up title. Getting exposure on this ,CBS-HD charge to cable, should not be buried in a thread. Let everyone see what they are trying to do.

There is a thread in the HDTV Programming forum. It's spin is more of a national view than a local view, but the issues are the same.

I agree we should begin posting there, also, and share whatever information we have.

Here it is.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=266441

Mike
post #194 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by SamR.
Thanks for the tip.

Yeah... the moment it gets turned off I'm going to call and cancel my service. This is keeping me happy through this CBS crap. So let's just hope they keep it on.
post #195 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
hopefully comcast and cbs'll get this situation taken care of soon since at some point i'm considering getting HD through comcast

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #196 of 10850 Old 06-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Comcast doesn't want to pay CBS because they don't want to pay anybody. They just want to make money by charging you and incurring as little in expenses as possible.

Why should CBS give away their broadcasts to someone who is going to make money on it. You can get it for free OTA if you want. Do NBC, ABC, etc. charge for their non-HD broadcasts? I don't know the answer to this question but my guess is yes. Maybe NBC, ABC, etc. are waiving the charges for a year but CBS, knowing they offer something others want, see that they don't have to give it away for free. Do you think the Hancock lets them put an antenna on their roof for free because they have to have a roof anyway and already charge their tenents for this privlege? Everyone seems to have forgotten that CBS has spent a lot of time and money upgrading their antenna system, primarily for non-HD, but also for HD, while most of the Chicago area receives CBS non-HD via cable.

To be fair to YOU then Comcast should not charge you anything. You should buy the HD receiver outright or divide the cost among XX months but from then on pay nothing per month. (And if you have your own compatible HD receiver, you shouldn't have to pay anything but installation!) But this isn't the case - they are going to charge you $5 per month forever; until they increase the price even further. Why is CBS the bad guy here?

You guys are not looking at this logically. You can receive CBS OTA for free. If like me you have reception problems then the FCC is at fault for sticking them with channel 3. CBS has a right to charge Comcast, because Comcast is charging you. I haven't heard anyone say you can get everything for free so long as you are willing to do without CBS-HD. You should be asking Comcast why you have to pay them anything for HD channels other than CBS.
post #197 of 10850 Old 06-08-2003, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
$5 a month for HD isn't bad it's when the cost jumps from the original $5 to maybe $10+ the complaining should really start imho

If a movie or concert video or a TV show isn't on blu ray it darn well should be.

post #198 of 10850 Old 06-08-2003, 11:44 AM

Wish.................. Sorry but you are Wrong ...NBC......ABC ,,,,,Do NOT get paid for the HD station and why should they you get SD abc and nbc for free so why should you pay for HD ,........Comcast is correct on this 1 as much as I hate to say it
post #199 of 10850 Old 06-08-2003, 02:26 PM

I was out of town this weekend and just got back and noticed the changes. All the stations are labelled correctly now but CBS is no longer present and PBS is on channel 191. I have read the thread and realize what is going on but I am curious why I am know receiving Showtime HD now. Previously I had received HBO(which I pay for) on 186 but now I am getting showtime on 185. Is this the way it is supposed to be? I thought you paid for each premium channel separately. If this is a throw-in from Comcast for losing CBS I would be impressed. Unfortunately I have a hard time believing that. What gives?
post #200 of 10850 Old 06-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

They from time to time offer "trials" so to speak, for lack of a better word.

So I'm not sure how long it will last (weekend?), but it's a freebie for a short time to get you hooked on the channel

This is my opinion..my guess...nothing official of course...

Tom
post #201 of 10850 Old 06-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by gtcharlie
If this is a throw-in from Comcast for losing CBS I would be impressed.

Agreed!!

Quote:

Originally posted by gtcharlie
Unfortunately I have a hard time believing that.

...agreed.
post #202 of 10850 Old 06-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Ok what is going on guys? Anyone else getting no signal right now? I just have a fuzzy blueish noise on a black background right now!

On every channel.
post #203 of 10850 Old 06-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Nevermind, got it.
post #204 of 10850 Old 06-10-2003, 02:45 PM

The rumor is CBS might be up and running again tomorrow, 6.11.03.
We'll see.

SR
post #205 of 10850 Old 06-10-2003, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

After reading the various other Comcast threads in this forum I've decided that things really do look pretty promising with Comcast HD service.

You have to read the information and take it with guarded optimism, but I'm encouraged. Encouraged enough to be a little more patient than I have been.

Time to kick back and enjoy what I have

I'm sure I missed some but I posted three of the threads I read through today...let's also hope that FOX Sports HD comes to FOX Sports Midwest.

Tom

If you haven't taken the time recently to read through the various Comcast threads in the HDTV Programming folder, I highly recommend doing so.

iN Demand INHD on Comcast!

Comcast and HD

DBS be aware: Comcast is making aggressive deals!!!
post #206 of 10850 Old 06-10-2003, 04:33 PM

As of earlier this afternoon, channel 189 re-appeared on my Comcast channel lineup. Unfortunately, it give the "Channel should be available shortly..." message for right now. It is identified by the Mot 5100 as WBBMD.

So it looks like SamR might be right, looks like it is coming back soon!

Funny, I fired off a few e-mails to both Comcast ans CBS/Viacom about this whole "issue". CBS/Viacon has yet to respond in any way, while I've not only received back an apologetic e-mail from Comcast about this where they described the problem as CSB/Viacom wanting Comcast to pay for the re-broadcast. I even received a call from an "escalation Manager" at Comcast today about this...he said they continue to work on the CBS issue, but didn't indicate that any resolution had been reached. He also mentioned ESPN-HD and Discovery-HD coming down the road, but they want to charge as well...and Comcast is holding to a "if we already pay you for your basic cable channels, then we should get the HD ones too; so we can offer them in our basic cable tier." He also mentioned that inDemand HD will be coming in Quarter 4 2003 and will need a new box (the Motorola 52XX series).

-Dave
post #207 of 10850 Old 06-10-2003, 04:35 PM

Anyone else get channel 191 added when CBS was dropped a week ago? I got the channel, but there is never any signal there...always "Channel should be available shortly" message.

-Dave
post #208 of 10850 Old 06-10-2003, 04:40 PM
dwk

Yahoo... got CBS WBBM back tonight... here to stay????
post #209 of 10850 Old 06-10-2003, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dwk
Yahoo... got CBS WBBM back tonight... here to stay????

Me too. Woo Hoo!

SR
post #210 of 10850 Old 06-10-2003, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by drossn
Anyone else get channel 191 added when CBS was dropped a week ago? I got the channel, but there is never any signal there...always "Channel should be available shortly" message.

191 is PBS. I've been getting it in mint ever since they dropped CBS. Some FANTASTIC looking stuff on here... it's just that I've seen each program about thirty six times already.

But yeah I would definately call Comcast immediately and ask them why PBS isnt coming in. They will probably to to send a "hit" out to your box so make sure you have your box nearby for the serial number. Hope everything works out!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page