El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 1944 Old 11-03-2005, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
yeah i just wish i could get espn hd but im not paying for hd plus the digital cable box you have to buy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1944 Old 11-07-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf49ersnfl View Post

yeah i just wish i could get espn hd but im not paying for hd plus the digital cable box you have to buy

I bought an LG 4200 STB about a year ago. I use it for OTA but it is supposed to handle cable as well. I asssume they scramble the HD stuff like ESPN. I'll have to try it out at my daughters house and see what it gets off of Comcast.

I used to get the HD pack on my Dish but dumped it. The HDNET stuff was excellent but most of the other stuff was "up converted" and ESPN was only occassionally in HD although I think they do much more now. I really don't miss it as the Network OTA stuff is a lot better, IMO anyway.
post #273 of 1944 Old 11-07-2005, 07:14 PM

I just got a new 56 in Samsung with the digital tuner, one for OTA and one for cable. I had it scan for channels and it came back with about 20 or so digital cable channels, I only have the analog but that is great! they are putting unscrambled digital channels out over the lines for those with digital tuners built in. I can't get all the locals in HD that way, I think I just got the NBC weather channel. I can get more with my OTA antenna though so it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryinLC View Post

I bought an LG 4200 STB about a year ago. I use it for OTA but it is supposed to handle cable as well. I asssume they scramble the HD stuff like ESPN. I'll have to try it out at my daughters house and see what it gets off of Comcast.

I used to get the HD pack on my Dish but dumped it. The HDNET stuff was excellent but most of the other stuff was "up converted" and ESPN was only occassionally in HD although I think they do much more now. I really don't miss it as the Network OTA stuff is a lot better, IMO anyway.

post #274 of 1944 Old 11-08-2005, 10:17 AM

20 digital channels is pretty good. Are you getting any local HD or just some?

What digital channels are you getting?
post #275 of 1944 Old 11-08-2005, 06:37 PM

Quote:

20 digital channels is pretty good. Are you getting any local HD or just some?

What digital channels are you getting?

Believe it or not, I am getting the following channels:

League Pass - Stats.. kind of like, League pass channel schedule
Turner South
FSN Bay area
FSN South
FSN Houston
"Order League Pass" advertisement channel
"Order League Pass" advertisement channel (again)
"Order League Pass" advertisement channel (and again)
League Pass schedule
iNDemand sports advertisements
iNDemand movies advertisements
iNDemand movies advertisements (again)
CMT
HBO iNDemand advertisements
Nick-Gas
Nicktoons
MTV
Hallmark
Disney East
Disney West
Noggin
CSTV
KTSM - weather
KCOS

So 24 in all, if you don't count the advertisement channels then 15 that worth while.

These are coming in just because I have a built in HD/Digital tuner in this new TV. GREAT!

Notice that the only locals I am getting in HD over the cable are the KTSM weather and KCOS. Too bad it doesn't have KDBC too. The KCOS and KDBC won't come in for me OTA because of terrain blocking due to my location.

Hope that answered your question.
post #276 of 1944 Old 11-09-2005, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkztg View Post

Believe it or not, I am getting the following channels:

League Pass - Stats.. kind of like, League pass channel schedule
Turner South
FSN Bay area
FSN South
FSN Houston
"Order League Pass" advertisement channel
"Order League Pass" advertisement channel (again)
"Order League Pass" advertisement channel (and again)
League Pass schedule
iNDemand sports advertisements
iNDemand movies advertisements
iNDemand movies advertisements (again)
CMT
HBO iNDemand advertisements
Nick-Gas
Nicktoons
MTV
Hallmark
Disney East
Disney West
Noggin
CSTV
KTSM - weather
KCOS

So 24 in all, if you don't count the advertisement channels then 15 that worth while.

These are coming in just because I have a built in HD/Digital tuner in this new TV. GREAT!

Notice that the only locals I am getting in HD over the cable are the KTSM weather and KCOS. Too bad it doesn't have KDBC too. The KCOS and KDBC won't come in for me OTA because of terrain blocking due to my location.

Hope that answered your question.

Yes, it did. Thanks. Have you tried an amp for your OTA? I don't get KCOS but KDBC comes in fine with an amp. You must live south of Cruces?
post #277 of 1944 Old 11-09-2005, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Yes, it did. Thanks. Have you tried an amp for your OTA? I don't get KCOS but KDBC comes in fine with an amp. You must live south of Cruces?

I live in El Paso but from my house to the KDBC antenna I have some of the Franklin mountains in the way, I'm sure if I lived 4 houses down the road I could pick it up. I actually plotted line of site from my house to the antenna and there are 3 decent sized hills in the way. The signal I am getting from KDBC goes from max to zero, bounces back and forth. I spoke with someone from KDBC and based on where I live they agree with the terrain blocking theory of why it won't come in for me. It is frustrating but I can live with it.

New EDIT: Now that I listed those digital channels I was getting most of them are gone now ... TW must be lurking.
post #278 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Is ANYONE in El Paso getting guide data for KTSM on any HD Box? (Primarly DirecTV)

- had a Hughes HTL-HD and NEVER got a whit of guide data.

- have a HDTivo now and STILL no guide data for KTSM, just 'Regular Schedule'.

This is starting to get REALLY ANNOYING

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #279 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo View Post

Is ANYONE in El Paso getting guide data for KTSM on any HD Box? (Primarly DirecTV)

I'm not getting any guide from anything at the moment but that is because of my new tv and the guide not setting up right for some reason, it will tell me what is on right now if I check the info on the channel. (on KTSM OTA)
post #280 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 PM

Hello All:
This is Chris Swann from KVIA TV. Someone just advised me of this forum so I decided to join up so that maybe I can help out any folks with questions. This whole HD transmission thing has been a nightmare for broadcasters, and frustrating for the viewers, but it is becoming a reality finally. If you have any questions about KVIA HD please post it and I will do my best to check in and get you answers.

Thanks
Chris Swann
post #281 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM

Chris,

Great to have you here! I am fortunate enough to get your station OTA. Thanks! If you know any of the other engineers from the other local stations let them know about this board too. I think this would be a good forum to let people know if your (their) station happens to have any problems instead of all of us wondering.

I only hope that a KDBC rep also joins. That is the station I am having problems with, besides PBS. I think it is from terrain blocking and there isn't much to be done for that other then move..... their antenna up higher on the mountain.. near yours....

Thanks and "Welcome !"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVIA Engineering View Post

Hello All:
This is Chris Swann from KVIA TV. Someone just advised me of this forum so I decided to join up so that maybe I can help out any folks with questions. This whole HD transmission thing has been a nightmare for broadcasters, and frustrating for the viewers, but it is becoming a reality finally. If you have any questions about KVIA HD please post it and I will do my best to check in and get you answers.

Thanks
Chris Swann

post #282 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
RBA

Quote:

Hello All:

Thanks
Chris Swann

Any plans to Multi-Cast on KVIA? How about KVIA gets the rights to UPN/WB and carry their programming on a sub-channel? Than make the cable and Sat companies carry the WB/UPN channel. It'll be a win win situation for KVIA and another avenue for gaining advertisers.

It's only tv.
post #283 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 09:02 PM
RBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londo View Post

No guide data on my HD Tivo.

It's only tv.
post #284 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBA View Post

Any plans to Multi-Cast on KVIA? How about KVIA gets the rights to UPN/WB and carry their programming on a sub-channel? Than make the cable and Sat companies carry the WB/UPN channel. It'll be a win win situation for KVIA and another avenue for gaining advertisers.

THAT is an excellent suggestion! El Paso has been without WB for quite some time and I don't recall if UPN was ever really here.. Speaking of OTA not cable...

Great Idea!
post #285 of 1944 Old 11-10-2005, 09:15 PM

Thanks Chris. Now that you've gone digital, we can finally get a decent picture up here in Alamogordo.

42P-HDRA
H-10
post #286 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 05:27 AM

Chris, welcome and thanks for joining. Any concrete plans to join Time Warner Cable? I get ABC HD fine OTA but it's the only local HD channel not on cable and it's far more convenient to tune in on the box than having to change inputs for one channel.
post #287 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 10:17 AM

Chris,

For your OTA signal, are you currently broadcasting most of your programming in 480i or 480p? I am wondering because most of the content is 4:3 instead of 16:9. I know that 480p can also be broadcast in 16:9 but 480i is only 4:3. I am wondering when your station plans on broadcasting all of your content in 16:9, either 480p (16:9), 720p or 1080i?

The picture looks great except for the 4:3 aspect.

Thanks!

Quote:

Hello All:

Thanks
Chris Swann

post #288 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 10:53 AM

Hello All:

Great to be here. Let me try and cover most of your questions.

I am going to try and encourage some of the El Paso Engineers to join us here. I don't think they are aware this place exists. Owen Smith is the engineer from KDBC who can best answer your HD questions. He is a great guy and super smart about this new technology.

Currently, KVIA is broadcasting in 720p as our HD format. We selected this because that is the standard the ABC network adopted and it just made sense for us to go along with the big guys. Sadly, there is not a heck of a lot of HD programming, but the network is getting more. We try and pass through everything they send us. Often, technical glitches get in the way, both on the network side and the local side, so as all of you are aware, things have been spotty. It is frustrating to consumers and to engineers, but network and station owners have been reluctant to really throw too much money at the problem. All the stations have spent millions of dollars to upgrade, and there is no way for the sales departments to recoup the money because there are not enough viewers on the HD side for advertisers to worry about. We really are in a tight spot. We have a technology which is emerging and will become the standard, a small group of dedicated viewers who want the product, and no additional revenue to encourage GM's to invest anything but the minimum required! Things are getting better, so just bear with us and all the HD operations in El Paso will smooth out.

All stations are looking at multi-casting options. In fact, the WB is coming to El Paso on a multi-cast channel, but sadly not on KVIA. KVIA is budgeted to add two digital sub-channels in 2006, so in about 1 year, we will be broadcasting some new material for all of you, but my bosses would kill me if I said what it is going to be!!!

Well, I am being paged by my GM, so I gotta go. Talk to you all soon

Chris
post #289 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 11:09 AM

Chris,

Thanks for answering the format question, I realize that the primetime shows are all in 720p or better because they are in 16:9. My question was more about the standard content you broadcast, even your news broadcast, when can we expect a better format for that?

Thanks!

Quote:

Hello All:

Great to be here. Let me try and cover most of your questions.

I am going to try and encourage some of the El Paso Engineers to join us here. I don't think they are aware this place exists. Owen Smith is the engineer from KDBC who can best answer your HD questions. He is a great guy and super smart about this new technology.

Currently, KVIA is broadcasting in 720p as our HD format. We selected this because that is the standard the ABC network adopted and it just made sense for us to go along with the big guys. Sadly, there is not a heck of a lot of HD programming, but the network is getting more. We try and pass through everything they send us. Often, technical glitches get in the way, both on the network side and the local side, so as all of you are aware, things have been spotty. It is frustrating to consumers and to engineers, but network and station owners have been reluctant to really throw too much money at the problem. All the stations have spent millions of dollars to upgrade, and there is no way for the sales departments to recoup the money because there are not enough viewers on the HD side for advertisers to worry about. We really are in a tight spot. We have a technology which is emerging and will become the standard, a small group of dedicated viewers who want the product, and no additional revenue to encourage GM's to invest anything but the minimum required! Things are getting better, so just bear with us and all the HD operations in El Paso will smooth out.

All stations are looking at multi-casting options. In fact, the WB is coming to El Paso on a multi-cast channel, but sadly not on KVIA. KVIA is budgeted to add two digital sub-channels in 2006, so in about 1 year, we will be broadcasting some new material for all of you, but my bosses would kill me if I said what it is going to be!!!

Well, I am being paged by my GM, so I gotta go. Talk to you all soon

Chris

post #290 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 01:17 PM

Chris,

Does KVIA plan to add its hd channel to the comcast lineup. I am currently unable to receive your signal via my silver sensor indoor antenna. Other people have had great success picking up your channel with this antenna, but I am unable to get a signal above 35%. I can recieve the other locals just fine. Thank You for your information!
post #291 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 02:10 PM

MKZTG:
Currently we send our standard definition Digital signal in 4:3. Our engineering department considered sending it out 16:9, but our general feeling at KVIA was that stretching it out, degraded the quality of the signal too much. It was a close call. You should be able to set your tuner to 16:9 stretch so that you don't have to look at those black bars on the sides. That is the way I watch it at my house.
As far as producing local content in HD, such as our newscasts, it does not look too likely in the near future. The cost would be terribly high right now, but there are some emerging technologies that will offer stations like KVIA some more viable options. I am a big supporter of producing HD newscasts, but when I bring it up in the corporate meetings, I am alone on an island! That will change, but not immediately.

take care

sf49ersnfl:

I wish I had some positive news on the KVIA HD on cable issue. ComCast and Time Warner are both in the same boat here. KVIA's corporate ownership NPG, is currently negotiating with Time Warner corporate about getting our HD signal (and the signals of our sister stations in 4 other cities) on the Time Warner systems. These are very complicated issues because they involve muli-cast channels, commercials, and (of course) monetary compensation. What makes it more difficult is that there is no example to follow from stations and broadcast groups in other parts of the country.
What it boils down to is both sides are dragging their feet because they are waiting to see what deals the big networks--ABC CBS NBC FOX--negotiate for their O&O stations. Then the smaller broadcast groups, like NPG, will ask for something similar for their stations.
As a local guy, I am not a part of these negotiations, so I have no idea what is going on. One day the phone will ring, and I will be told to send the signal to Time Warner, and probably Comcast immediately after. That could come this afternoon, or months from now. I wish I could tell you something more specific, but you guess is about as good as mine.
Hope that helps

Chris
post #292 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 03:49 PM

Chris;

Welcome and thanks for the info you have provided. I have been watching the local station on OTA, DTV/HD for about a year now as they came on line. I applaud your efforts as I know it has been trying. I conversed with the KRWG engineer a while back and he was real happy to have someone to get feedback from. (Thought no one in LC had an HD set!) I know they had some real problems. I do recognize your efforts and encourge you guys to continue.

Having had Dish HD and now OTA HD, I really prefer the OTA since it does not go through the compression and is much clearer. I dropped the HD Pak from Dish and haven't been disappointed! (Yeah, I miss ESPN HD)

Isn't analog transmission supposed to end in 2006? Or has the FCC extended that deadline. I can only imagine the station heads balking at the cost but I do hope they come around and get the equipment needed to do local shows in HD. Do these guys/girls have HD at their homes?

Keep up the good work and welcome to the forum.
post #293 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 07:17 PM

Chris (lets all pick on the new guy), Some stations (ESPN, sometimes CBS) when broadcasting a picture that isn't 16:9, instead of black bars on the side have a sorta smear where whatever is on the edge of the picture stretches to cover the gap. Fills the screen and lessens burn-in. Is that a feasable option for you guys?

42P-HDRA
H-10
post #294 of 1944 Old 11-11-2005, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am going to try and encourage some of the El Paso Engineers to join us here. I don't think they are aware this place exists.

Well, can you grab whover handles KTSM by the ear and DRAG them over? I've finally been led to the conclusion that the lack of guide data for them on the HD Receivers appears to be smack on their doorstep! (I've another bone to pick with them, but I'll save that for later!)

You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe.
post #295 of 1944 Old 11-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. I can understand that cost is a huge issue and I can live with that answer (for now) As far as streching out the picture, my tv is set to 16:9 and the pictures still comes in at 4:3. When I set my tv at 4:3 it becomes even smaller. I think it goes back to the whloe 480i thing. 480i is 4:3 (SDTV) only whicle 480p (EDTV) can be either. I certainly can't claim I know exactly what it takes to broadcast a 480p instead of a 480i signal but if it is feasible and not cost prohibative, might I suggest your station give that a try. While 480p is only Enhanced Definition TV and isn't true HDTV, it is closer to HDTV then the standard definition 480i format.

If anyone else reading this is confused, like I get sometimes, here is a link that talks about the different resolutions.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5107912-1.html#480p
http://www.projectorcentral.com/video_signals.htm

Thanks Chris.

mkztg

Quote:

MKZTG:
Currently we send our standard definition Digital signal in 4:3. Our engineering department considered sending it out 16:9, but our general feeling at KVIA was that stretching it out, degraded the quality of the signal too much. It was a close call. You should be able to set your tuner to 16:9 stretch so that you don't have to look at those black bars on the sides. That is the way I watch it at my house.
As far as producing local content in HD, such as our newscasts, it does not look too likely in the near future. The cost would be terribly high right now, but there are some emerging technologies that will offer stations like KVIA some more viable options. I am a big supporter of producing HD newscasts, but when I bring it up in the corporate meetings, I am alone on an island! That will change, but not immediately.

take care

Hope that helps

Chris

post #296 of 1944 Old 11-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Hi Guys:

Londo:
Maybe I can help you with KTSM questions. We all know each others business, so let 'em rip and will help to the best of my abilities.

HarryinLC:

The date for the FCC has set to shut off the NTSC analog signal is December 2008. Now remember, this date changes every 15 minutes, so I would not bank on this being the real date. This is for digital only, and does not account for HD. Local broadcasters will come on board with the HD local programming, as demand increases. It is not too far away, and no, none of the GM's I know have HDTV sets...they still have the old sets with the knobs!!!

Memikee & Mkztg:

There seems to be a lot of folks having problems with those black bars on sides. Are you getting the black bars all the time? Or only on certain shows?
Any programs that the ABC network is send down in HD (Lost, Monday Night Football) should be 16:9 and fill your screen...provided our trustly master control operator flips the switch. Other programs are being sent in regular 4:3 and our local equipment is "upconverting" it to HD. In this case, you have black bars on the sides because there is missing picture information in that part of the screen. You should have an option to "expand" your screen on you set. This pulls the 4:3 picture to 16:9 and creates those blurry edges. That is how the TV in our station lobby is set.
If this does not correct the problem, let me know. I will be happy to have one of our engineers contact any of you directly and perhaps we can determine where is problem is coming from. Those guys are a heck of a lot smarter than me!

See you all soon.

Chris
post #297 of 1944 Old 11-14-2005, 11:45 AM

Thanks Chris,

I'm using a DirecTv H10 as a tuner in one room and a Voom box in another. I use the box to Zoom non HD content to fill the screen but on the HD OTA channels, they don't zoom.

42P-HDRA
H-10
post #298 of 1944 Old 11-14-2005, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe I can help you with KTSM questions. We all know each others business, so let 'em rip and will help to the best of my abilities.s

Very simple...

NO FLIPPING GUIDE DATA FOR THE OTA KTSM DIGITAL SIGNALS.

I've been thru several HD receivers, and KTSM (appears) not to be transmitting ANY guide data on their digital stations. Having recently gotten an HDTivo, it's real 'fun' trying to schedule any recording when all you have it 24/7 of 'regular schedule'. DirecTV says it's KTSM's problem. Many others here should be able to back this up (so it's not just me [grin]). This has been true for a Samsung, Hughes and now the HDTivo

post #299 of 1944 Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Memikee:

Let me ask around on that OTA tuner and I will let you know what I find out.

Londo:

I'll call one of my buddies at KTSM and let you know.

Chris
post #300 of 1944 Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 PM

Chris,
As for the question of are we getting the bars all the time? I will double check on Monday night football and "Lost" just to make certain but from what I recall, yes I am getting the bars all the time. As for my set, (Samsung 56in DLP) I don't have the option of selecting Panorama , Zoom, anything other then 16:9 and 4:3. When it is in 16:9 I get the back bars on the side, when it is 4:3 the picture gets squished and the black bars get larger.

I will double check the prime time content format and let you know what I am getting. Thanks Chris, and if you know the people at KDBC, let them know that their station is the only one I can't get in the North Hills. They need to move their antenna up to where yours is.

Here is a thought, how about the stations getting together and multicasting each other on each of the hi/low antennas.. to include PBS. That way your stations can provide content to the entire market even if a consumer can only get one or two stations really well.

It certainly can't hurt to work together on this so the entire city can get all the HD content instead of areas in the city of spotty reception.

MKZTG.

Quote:

Hi Guys:

Memikee & Mkztg:

There seems to be a lot of folks having problems with those black bars on sides. Are you getting the black bars all the time? Or only on certain shows?
Any programs that the ABC network is send down in HD (Lost, Monday Night Football) should be 16:9 and fill your screen...provided our trustly master control operator flips the switch. Other programs are being sent in regular 4:3 and our local equipment is "upconverting" it to HD. In this case, you have black bars on the sides because there is missing picture information in that part of the screen. You should have an option to "expand" your screen on you set. This pulls the 4:3 picture to 16:9 and creates those blurry edges. That is how the TV in our station lobby is set.
If this does not correct the problem, let me know. I will be happy to have one of our engineers contact any of you directly and perhaps we can determine where is problem is coming from. Those guys are a heck of a lot smarter than me!

See you all soon.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page