El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1817 Old 10-01-2007, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is the response I got from KDBC when I inquired about showing Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy in HD

Sorry for the delay in replying to your questions. We do plan on
transmitting in HD all avail shows but it will be when we do our
technical core build out. This was slated for third quarter this year
but had to be delayed due to the loss of network programming for some of
our sister stations around the country. We have it in the budget again
next year and will know more as this year comes to a close. Thank you
for you interest in KDBC-TV and feel free to contact me directly at any
time if you have any other questions,
Sincerely,

Daniel P Somes
Chief Engineer
KDBC4 El Paso
2201 Wyoming Ave
El Paso Texas, 79903
Office 915-496-4480
Cell 915-525-1559

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1817 Old 10-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
KVIA Seems to have finally fixed the problems they had yesterday. I had to watch parts of Desperate Housewives on the Analog Channel, but toward the end of the show there was very little skipping. At about this time I noticed that they turned off their Weather Channel, and Eventually it disappeared all together, The TV couldn't find it. The problems were still there when I watched Stargate Atlantis on The CW at midnight, there was skipping like every 10 minutes. Right now their weather channel is back and the skipping is gone.

KFOX TV is either still fixing their problem, or they don't know yet. Even their Guide isn't working.
post #723 of 1817 Old 10-01-2007, 04:56 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOENAMCO View Post

I was trying to watch your channel HD OFF AIR he didn't understand ???,

Trying telling them it's OTA = Over The Air.
post #724 of 1817 Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I'm 100 percent confident that we will have as compelling a HDTV lineup as DIRECTV," Melinda Witmer, Time Warner's chief programming officer, told TVPredictions.com last March.

Witmer added that Time Warner would have the capacity for 100 high-def channels by year's end. And Time Warner Cable CFO Landel Hobbs told an investors conference in June that the cable operator would have "virtually unlimited" capacity for high-def by year's end.

Time Warner Adding More HD Channels
San Antonio viewers will get more Starz in high-def.
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (October 1, 2007) -- Time Warner Cable is adding four more high-def channels in the San Antonio area, according to the San Antonio Express-News.

WTF HAPPEND TO US TWC ???????????

Email Melinda Witmer at TWC Corporate, the SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT & CHIEF PROGRAMMING OFFICER if you want more HD Channels!!!
Melinda.Witmer@twcable.com
post #725 of 1817 Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Yeah I notices the Channel 14 change to 15-3 and 15-4, one TV did this automatically while the other I had to rescan the channels.

So channel 7 had some skipping? and I'm going crazy re-checking my antenna.. LOL.

I should log on here more frequently.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #726 of 1817 Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

KFOX is fixed now. They now say 14-1 and 14-2, the Station IDs are back, and the guide is back.
post #727 of 1817 Old 10-02-2007, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

OMG I will have to do a re-scan on the TV again.. another 5 mins of my life gone.. LOL

Hopefully on one of the re-scans I find a new station..

Maybe this time telemundo SD will show...

post #728 of 1817 Old 10-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

KVIA was off the OTA digital Wednesday night during prime time but seemed OK this morning. As I have said before what is going to happen when these stations have all these breakdowns and there is no analog to fall back on?

post #729 of 1817 Old 10-04-2007, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed KVIA was gone too, It came back at about 1 or 2 in the morning. I think they fixed whatever was broken this weekend. I really think it was their Multiplexer(Mux). In Simple English its the machine that takes the 4 Channels and puts them in one 6 MHZ channel. I think either it wasn't handling the compression right, or it was trying to use more than the close to 20 Megabits allowed on a digital channel. They probably were operating at a lower bitrate like 17 or 18 Megabits since the MUX broke sometime on Sunday. They more than likely couldn't convince whoever fixed it to do it at 1 or 2 in the morning when few people are watching so they did it during primetime. They should have at least waited longer and done it sometime other than primetime like at 6 in the morning today or tomorrow. Anyway KVIA Digital was working fine before they fixed this, so the could have waited to fix it.
post #730 of 1817 Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, there's not much to see Wednesday, but I saw the full episode of pushing daisies and then changed the channel to 14 to watch some House.

So they went down after 8:00PM I presume.

post #731 of 1817 Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Channel 13 has even more channels, they mirrored them to 30-X, my TV picked them up, the same 4 Channels, running at the same time!, are they preparing for something?

post #732 of 1817 Old 10-08-2007, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I thought the 13._ channels were always broadcast on the RF channel 30 frequency, and if the PSIP (sp?) data was not right, some receivers would not re-map them to 13._ properly... Some receivers allow inputting the RF channel and then a sub-channel to directly tune channels not appearing in a scan - that is how I thought I was getting CW before they went official...

v/r,
C-F
post #733 of 1817 Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Channel 13 has even more channels, they mirrored them to 30-X, my TV picked them up, the same 4 Channels, running at the same time!, are they preparing for something?

Earlier in the thread you said that you had to do a channel scan, because the channels on 15 had gone back to 14. If these channels showed up after that scan, then you may be getting the channels on 13, and the channels on 30 at the same time. I've had this happen before, and I fixed it by getting rid of both channels manually and adding the channel again manually. So, if do that then you will only get the channels on 13.
post #734 of 1817 Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This "El Paso HDTV" thread is useless all we have here is OTA crybabies...and not one TWC sub. Where are they at? where can people like me go to and complain about the worst HD provider in America?
post #735 of 1817 Old 10-10-2007, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchione View Post

This "El Paso HDTV" thread is useless all we have here is OTA crybabies...and not one TWC sub. Where are they at? where can people like me go to and complain about the worst HD provider in America?

I think because we prefer NOT to pay that lousy cable provider, maybe you should switch? you have other options you know.

For me, OTA is all I have, since I live in Juarez, Mexico's cable and sat companies are ages from broadcasting in HD.

post #736 of 1817 Old 10-11-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merchione View Post

where can people like me go to and complain about the worst HD provider in America?

Try whining and crying to the people you pay your money to - TWC - if you don't like their service.
post #737 of 1817 Old 10-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Not only that if you don't like it switch to DirecTV, or Dish if only for a while, to scare Time Warner Cable. If you do cancel Cable make sure to tell them why you canceled, "they don't have enough HD channels". you could even snowball them with this. First call them and ask when they're going to add more HD channels, after that if they don't want to tell you keep insisting and get mad. Some time during this call mention how many HD Channels DIRECTV has, You can find that information in this website in the HDTV Programming Forum, and threaten to move to DIRECTV. After this you can even find an excuse to not cancel, like for example "I still have to buy the Dish And the HD Receiver" who knows, you could even get a discount. Make sure that if you call them, to be mad, or pretending to be mad, by the time you start demanding to know "when they're going to add more HD Channels" and to stay mad until the end of the call that way they will register your complaint or transfer you to a Manager, or someone in charge of Customer Retention. Who know they may even tell you when Time Warner El Paso is going to add more HD Channels. Also go to some of the other Threads like The Houston Cable one, or the Harlingen, TX one. I know Houston is adding more HD Channels, and Harlingen, TX is adding HD Channels too. How come Harlingen, TX is adding HD Channels, and El Paso Isn't? Aren't we bigger. Also Read this Freaking Thread before you say something stupid like "and not one TWC sub" , I Have read all of it and there are Some TWC subs here. I understand if you were mad When you said this, but Think Before You Post.
post #738 of 1817 Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just sent an e-mail to KTSM about the fact that the NBC Nightly News has not been in HD for the past two days. If it is a technical problem, I understand that happens, if some employee just can not bother to hit the switch, that is more discouraging.
Yes, I am one of those "OTA cry-Babbie's". I have tried both cable and satellite and believe me, I cry a lot louder when I am paying for a service and have continuous problems that when I am getting channels for free.
post #739 of 1817 Old 10-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Liked: 16
Remember, too, that some of us cannot get Time Warner Cable. Time Warner Cable does not (or is it can not?) operate in New Mexico and someone else has already mentioned Mexico. I refuse to get Comcast as well. Way way too expensive, even before I started considering HD. I haven't upgraded my E* equipment because I'm hoping to be somewhere else (nothing against Las Cruces, but I want to get my degree and get a job already) by this time next year and I don't want to find myself stuck in a contract while moving. Besides, other than sports, there's not that much I want to watch that's in HD and most of what I want to watch anyway is not available OTA. (Quite frankly, I bought the TV for the NFL and most of the time I have no interest in the Monday night game.) And to some degree, I don't understand some of the things people care about. The news or a game show not being in HD doesn't seem like that big a deal to me personally. To each their own, of course.
post #740 of 1817 Old 10-14-2007, 04:33 PM

Liked: 16
Wow, I'm glad I don't pay for KDBC because the last half-hour of this football game has been absolutely awful. Lots of interruptions, a large amount of time in SD, and several audio problems.
post #741 of 1817 Old 10-15-2007, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion View Post

Wow, I'm glad I don't pay for KDBC because the last half-hour of this football game has been absolutely awful. Lots of interruptions, a large amount of time in SD, and several audio problems.

Yeah first they lost the HD feed, switched to SD, then like 10 mins blackout, then SD for another 10 mins then finally back to HD, but with bits of interruptions, I think they had either satellite or their own equipment problems.

post #742 of 1817 Old 10-15-2007, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

KDBC is blaming it on thier network feed, which I doubt very seriously since the networks have lot of backup equipment and engineers who know what they are doing. KDBC probably had local equipment failures that receive the network feed else why did they not even show local advertising. The must have lost a bunch of money on that.

post #743 of 1817 Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

KTSM had some HD problems yesterday, some colors were phased out, this was since Chuck and maybe 15mins during Heroes, you could clearly see the difference when they fixed it, I almost went and hit my TV on the side, but I saw that the Computer was also looking the same. The analog channel was fine.

post #744 of 1817 Old 10-23-2007, 03:31 PM

KTSM has had more than a few problems. I have given up on seeing the Nightly News in HD. I emailed both the engineer and programming departments but have received no reply. For two weeks in a row the second half of "Journeyman" has been in SD as they fail to throw the switch after the 30 minute break to promote their local news and commercials. This is the kind of problems KDBC were having two years ago.
post #745 of 1817 Old 10-24-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed the KTSM problems with Chuck and Heroes too, when I was channel surfing. They used to show the NBC Nightly News in HD for a long time, but for at least a week they have shown it in SD. I think this may have to do with the NBC Nightly News HD, not having the Letters, While the SD version does have the Captions. Also sometimes when I watch Conan, they forget to turn on the HD after the commercials, for about 5 minutes.
post #746 of 1817 Old 10-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Today my HDTV got the Remapping data for Channel 25-1. It's now sending this channel to 26-1, see

It says KINT-HD, but it's still in 480i, and 4:3.
I think this maybe a screw up at Univision El Paso, Or is this channel getting ready to go HD. I'm hoping for the last one, but I highly doubt they'll go HD.
Also they have guide data now.
post #747 of 1817 Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube799 View Post

Today my HDTV got the Remapping data for Channel 25-1. It's now sending this channel to 26-1, see

It says KINT-HD, but it's still in 480i, and 4:3.
I think this maybe a screw up at Univision El Paso, Or is this channel getting ready to go HD. I'm hoping for the last one, but I highly doubt they'll go HD.
Also they have guide data now.

I certainly hope so they go HD, at least they will be showing the "novelas' in HD, not like their Televisa conterpart. LOL

post #748 of 1817 Old 10-27-2007, 06:34 AM

I can finally get KRWG-DT here in far east El Paso County. I have always enjoyed getting channel 22 analog as their schedule is slightly different from KCOS and they carry some shows on the weekend that channel 13 does not. The analog channel which comes from the Southern New Mexico fair grounds on the way to Deming was always a little snowy but watchable. For what ever technical reasons they did not want to put the digital channel out on that tower and have been transmitting off of a short tower on the campus of NMSU for the past four years. Now they have a tower on the top of Tortugus Mountain (know locally as A Mountain) at full power.
My antenna is nothing special, a Radio Shack 40 inch boom UHF only mounted at 20 feet. I did use 300 ohm flat twin lead to minimize loss although one must use stand-offs to keep it away from the metal mast.
Channel 22-1 is the same PBS-HD feed we get on 13-1. 22-2 is a SD copy of analog channel 22 (this is what I wanted) and 22-3 is a Spanish children's network called V-Me. All of these stations are actually on UHF 23.
I am not sure if this reception will be possible over all of El Paso and Juarez, it probably has a lot to do with the line of sight through the mountain passes between here and there.
post #749 of 1817 Old 10-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Did anyone notice that PBS changed to standard time Sunday and now all the vcr's and other items that use their signal to auto set the time are off by one hour? I emailed the engineers but have not heard anything back yet.

post #750 of 1817 Old 10-29-2007, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they forgot the new schedule for DST ending first Sunday of November instead of last of October..

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page