Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Thanks, wanted to make sure might have to "move" to El Paso to get more "localized" news and weather

We don't get local news, we get mostly Mexico news now adays, some EP and a little Las Cruces. If you are in NM, you get zero NM news (as in state news).
Local stations use protectionist laws to stay in business (why you can't bring in out of area stations). Local stations are like newspapers, obsolete and inconsequential.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Right now, KTSM showed the Everybody Loves Raymond show in HD.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Syndication HD at last? weee! (scripted shows of course)

I can't watch anything now due to daylight savings time when I get home the 7:00PM are already starting..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
Old 03-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is everyone who has equipment that uses PSIP program guide information seeing everything in the wrong time slots since the DST change?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Telemundo HD is coming and we don't even have SD channel!

Worst of all Ch. 48 is looking worse everyday, like the latest strong winds knocked out their antenna or they have power it down, how's it looking in NW El Paso?

Old 04-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

It seems that KTDO has gotten approval from the FCC to build their Digital Antenna on Ranger Peak.

this should be the coverage area.

this is the link to the application.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=36916

this is the link to the exhibit.

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs/f...911&q_num=5200

I hope that when this happens they start operating in HD.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I live almost dead center of that coverage area, I should get excellent coverage... 2 more weeks to go, hopefully they will have to test sooner than that...

Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2 weeks to go? when are they going to turn it on, how long does it take to install that antena or is it already installed. darn those KTDO pepole and hopefully they wont downgrade the signal like Univision 26

Everybody here send an email to Univision 26 asking them to increase the digital picture quality on channel 26

directly to the chief mr candelaria
dcandelaria@entravision.com

thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Then KTDO "presentation" screen says "KTDO Ch 48, Ch 47 DT, Las Cruces, El Paso, Juarez" ... LIARS!

And yes, Univision's PQ is awful, OK keep it SD, but learn from the SD masters of a third world country like Azteca Channel 20-1..

Old 04-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Apparently we have a new local channel 98 coming to Las Cruces today. I am assuming that it's digital although I would guess since it's low power it could be analog or even cable. It's claims to be public access. I searched this morning and could not locate an OTA signal.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
http://www.lcc98.com/

Cable only.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Ch. 47 still not OTA or range, Ch. 48 analog still looks awful... (gonna report this every monday)..

They must have something before that first HD Billboard award..

Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM

Finally Telemundo is up see picture

--

just kidding Telemundo is going to wait until the last date June 17 and then I bet they only have HDTV LITE or DTV LITE OVERLY COMPrESESSED
LL
Old 04-22-2009, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

New Scan of channels, T47DT still not up, analog still awful (forgot to post Monday LOL)

Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

KTDO has a DTV Update report on the FCC Website.
This is the link:
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....&fac_num=36916

On there it says this:
Quote:
Exhibit 2
Description:
EXHIBIT 2

APRIL 2009 UPDATE-
AS OF APRIL 8, 2009, 90% OF THE EQUIPMENT NECESSARY TO CONSTRUCT KTDO'S DTV FACILITY IS ON SITE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE TRANSMISSION LINE. TOWER PERSONNEL AND TECHNICIANS HAVE BEEN SECURED BY KTDO FOR THE INSTALLATION AND ARE PROCEEDING WITH THE CONSTRUCTION WITH THE AVAILABLE EQUIPMENT.

ON TUESDAY, APRIL 14 2009, KTDO WAS NOTIFIED VIA TELEPHONE CALL BY ONE OF ITS EQUIPMENT MANUFACTURERS THAT THE TRANSMISSION LINE, A KEY COMPONENT OF THE DTV FACILITY, WILL NOT BE DELIVERED IN THE TIME. THE MANUFACTURER IS CURRENTLY ATTEMPTING TO FIND A SUBSTITUTE FOR THE ORIGINAL LINE. KTDO HAS IMPRESSED UPON THE MANUFACTURER THE CRITICAL NEED FOR THE TRANSMISSION LINE AND THE PRESSING DTV TRANSITION DEADLINE. UNFORTUNATELY, KTDO IS ENTIRELY DEPENDANT ON THIRD-PARTY VENDORS AND MANUFACTURERS FOR THE SUPPLY OF NECESSARY EQUIPMENT FOR THE DIGITAL FACILITY, AND THE LACK OF A TRANSMISSION LINE IS ENTIRELY BEYOND KTDO'S CONTROL AT THIS POINT. KTDO IS CONTINUING TO EXPLORE OPTIONS FOR ALTERNATIVE TRANSMISSION LINES, AND TAKING EXTRA STEPS TO FIND THIS CRITICAL PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.

KTDO WILL UPDATE THIS STATUS REPORT AS THE SITUATION EVOLVES, AND WILL REQUEST AN EXTENSION OF THE JUNE 12TH CONSTRUCTION DEADLINE IF IT BECOMES NECESSARY.

IN ADDITION, KTDO WILL FILE SHORTLY A MINOR MODIFICATION TO ITS DIGITAL CONSTRUCTION PERMIT TO CORRECT THE TOWER INFORMATION. IN OBTAINING AN STA FOR PRE-TRANSITION OPERATIONS, KTDO RECENTLY DISCOVERED THAT THE TOWER SPECIFIED IN ITS CONSTRUCTION PERMIT -- FCC FILE NO. BMPCDT-20080612AAP -- IS FOR AN ADJACENT TOWER AT THE SAME SITE. ACCORDINGLY, KTDO WILL NEED TO MODIFY ITS DTV CP TO ADJUST THE ASR NUMBER, HEIGHT, AND COORDINATES FOR THE NEARLY IDENTICAL TOWER THAT WILL BE EMPLOYED. THAT APPLICATION WILL BE FILED SHORTLY AND WILL REFLECT THE ACCURATE FINAL DTV FACILTIES FOR THE STATION, WITH WHICH THE STATION WILL OPERATE POST-TRANSITION. ACCORDINGLY, THE PARAMETERS CONTAINED IN THE FORTHCOMING MINOR MOD APPLICATION SHOULD SUPERCEDE THE INFORMATION PREVIOUSLY LISTED IN DTV TABLE OF ALLOTMENTS AT APPENDIX B.

i looks like we will have to wait a while for Telemundo digital.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mmm I wonder what kind of "transmission line" they use? fiber perhaps? but seems unlikely, there are many providers that can do fiber, must be something really special...

Too bad they aren't making it before this Sunday for their "first" HDTV transmission..

(I think they wanted to beat this deadline, not so much the June 12)

Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Not that kind of transmission line, I think they're referring to the feed line which goes up the side of the tower. It's a pipe that feeds the signal from the transmitter at the bottom of the tower to the antenna at the top.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 04-26-2009, 01:57 AM

Okay, not sure where else to ask. Recently I switched from a Dynex television 32in HD LCD. I was receiving all my signals fine with the built in tuner and my HD RCA bunny ears.

Well, I upgraded TV for a Samsung 40in LCD HD. Now for some reason KVIA is coming up poorly. The signal on the monitor is showing full strength but the channel is not coming in clear.

The issue I'm seeing is the video on the screen freezes then speeds up quickly then slows down and does it over and over. 7.1 is the only channel doing this, 7.2-7.4 are coming in clear with no issues and all the other stations are coming in clear with no issue either.

The video is not pixalated or boxing at all, the HD is coming in, but just freezes and speeds up quick. The audio never skips or shuts down, but the video issues.

I called KVIA, they claim all is well, I called Samsung, they say it's a station issue. I tend to agree with Samsung since the issue is only on one station.

Any help would be appreciated. Do I need a stronger antenna or what? KVIA tells me I live in the right spot for just bunny years and don't require a roof antenna, would is suggest?
Old 04-26-2009, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been monitoring the digital TV signals here in El Paso since they first came on in 2003 and that is a new description of a signal problem to me. It sounds as though the TV is loosing signal and then storing the signal and trying to catch up, something like pauses during a download on the computer.
I assume you have tried adjusting your rabbit ear antenna however if you are not having issues with 7-2, 7-3 or 7-4 you must be getting good reception.
If all else fails, one ray of hope would be that June 12th KVIA will stop using channel 17 for digital TV and go back to VHF channel 7. That would mean a whole new transmitter and such and hopefully work out this bug.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First I would do a rescan for channels just in case the tuner is off. If you still have the dynex, just to troubleshoot, I would split you rabbit ears cable in to two cables and hook 1 up to the dynex and the other to the samsung when this problem is occurring. If there is no problem on the dynex and a problem on the samsung then there is a problem with the samsungs processing of the signal it is getting for some reason.I would take the samsung back for a replacement.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:50 AM

Well actually I forgot to mention something rather important and I do apologize. The issue only occurs when ABC is on national coverage. Like when the silly soaps and The view, Regis are on the problem never happens.

During KVIA news the issue never happens either, until they run B-Roll during the newscast. Also during shows like Brothers and Sisters, Grey's etc.... that's the only time it happens. During NBA or Dancing with the Stars it does not occur. I don't understand why shows like that are effected but nothing else is.

Such as "This Week" is on KVIA and it's coming out great. However, when commercials come on, some of them give me that problem while some don't.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM

I have the same exact problem. I have a Vizio though. Only that channel and same shows you mentioned. I get HD through cable.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:49 PM

I have a Vizio and this problem is common. The station probably isn't causing but the network is because of the way they process the signal to allow an extra 30 seconds or so of commercials. It's not a problem with older TVs or TVs that can detect this processing and filter it out.

I have a HD capture card in my computer as well, and when I play back ABC videos on the computer I can see diagnostic information from the saved file and sure enough it shows the frame rate is jumping around between about 40 fps and 60 fps.

Try this thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=998251

and here are my previous comments

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post15618064
Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 AM

So I guess the question is, what in the world do we do to change this? I like ABC shows, but I can't watch them like this, it's horrific, any idea?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It's a KVIA problem. I get it for the past couple of weeks on both tvs, and both on the OTA feed and the HD feed over Dish.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a newer Vizio, no channel problems with KVIA, I can see the 4 just fine...

Monday report, no digital KTDO so far... (and with latest news I'll be scanning in 2 weeks intervals now), the analog signal is still ghastly

Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM

As I mentioned before, I plug my cable directly into the back of my HDTV and I get analog and digital channels like that. Does anyone know why Time Warner deletes channels or changes them around all the time?
Old 04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Today I put General Hospital to see how it looked in HD, and Kvia wasn't showing it In HD.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube799 View Post

Today I put General Hospital to see how it looked in HD, and Kvia wasn't showing it In HD.

No surprise there... LOL

Old 04-29-2009, 09:58 PM

elphrs,

I just relocated to the Indianapolis area and the local ABC station doesn't have this problem in prime time. I guess the problem isn't present on all stations.

My only guess would be to contact the station and complain or do some research with the keyword "judder" to see if there is something you can change on your TV.