El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 59 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1741 of 1817 Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am noticing, on KVIA, a slight "hickup" in their audio. It is very breif drop out but noticeable and happens about every 15 seconds or so. Anyone else noticing a problem. I have it whether I am on OTA direct to the TV, tuned on the satellite dish box ( both) sat channel and OTA channel. and on my HD OTA recorder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 1817 Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes, we have a similar problem with KVIA HD shows. We first noticed it around the time of the 2012 Academy Awards Ceremony on March 2. It's especially noticeable during music, such as when Idina Menzel was singing "Frozen," because the continuous music gets broken up. And yes, the audio "hiccups" are very frequent, usually multiple times a minute. I have a Pioneer VSX-1121K AV receiver that we process all of our audio through to surround sound speakers. During these audio glitches from KVIA, the AV receiver's display which normally shows "THX Surround EX" when it's receiving 5.1 channel input from ABC shows that we watch, such as "Once Upon a Time" and "Revenge," will briefly change to "Dial Norm -10" (or some other number). According to Pioneer forums, this Dialog Normalization is part of the Dolby Digital specification and is a value embedded as metadata in the broadcast signal, and the receiver makes adjustments to DB output based on that value. Here's what Pioneer Tech Spt told another poster: "Dial Norm -4 referring to Dialog Normalization which is a feature of Dolby Digital. Dialog Normalization Attenuates programs based on the average level of dialog in a program relative to it's peak level (also known as Dial Norm) in order to achieve a uniform playback level." So it appears to me that there's enough fluctuation of some sound component of 5.1 audio streams being broadcast by KVIA that this metadata value changes every 15 seconds or so, or else something is injecting spurious changes to that metadata value in the broadcast signal.

To see if the Pioneer receiver was part of the problem, I temporarily moved the HDMI cable box output directly to the TV and could hear the periodic glitches then, too.

We get the KVIA signal in Las Cruces through Comcast, but it's the only channel with this problem, and when I saw your post, I realized that it was probably coming from the source. I called KVIA this week about the sound quality and will send them an email message with a link to this forum. Although they haven't gotten any other complaints, it's a real issue to me. Maybe we can get to the bottom of the problem and get it fixed. They have some of my favorite shows.
post #1743 of 1817 Old 04-25-2014, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Mickle View Post

Yes, we have a similar problem with KVIA HD shows. We first noticed it around the time of the 2012 Academy Awards Ceremony on March 2. It's especially noticeable during music, such as when Idina Menzel was singing "Frozen," because the continuous music gets broken up. And yes, the audio "hiccups" are very frequent, usually multiple times a minute. I have a Pioneer VSX-1121K AV receiver that we process all of our audio through to surround sound speakers. During these audio glitches from KVIA, the AV receiver's display which normally shows "THX Surround EX" when it's receiving 5.1 channel input from ABC shows that we watch, such as "Once Upon a Time" and "Revenge," will briefly change to "Dial Norm -10" (or some other number). According to Pioneer forums, this Dialog Normalization is part of the Dolby Digital specification and is a value embedded as metadata in the broadcast signal, and the receiver makes adjustments to DB output based on that value. Here's what Pioneer Tech Spt told another poster: "Dial Norm -4 referring to Dialog Normalization which is a feature of Dolby Digital. Dialog Normalization Attenuates programs based on the average level of dialog in a program relative to it's peak level (also known as Dial Norm) in order to achieve a uniform playback level." So it appears to me that there's enough fluctuation of some sound component of 5.1 audio streams being broadcast by KVIA that this metadata value changes every 15 seconds or so, or else something is injecting spurious changes to that metadata value in the broadcast signal.

To see if the Pioneer receiver was part of the problem, I temporarily moved the HDMI cable box output directly to the TV and could hear the periodic glitches then, too.

We get the KVIA signal in Las Cruces through Comcast, but it's the only channel with this problem, and when I saw your post, I realized that it was probably coming from the source. I called KVIA this week about the sound quality and will send them an email message with a link to this forum. Although they haven't gotten any other complaints, it's a real issue to me. Maybe we can get to the bottom of the problem and get it fixed. They have some of my favorite shows.

I sent an email to: elias.ventanilla@kvia.com who is KVIA engineer, a month ago. NO answer or no fix. I sent it from another forum. I have a PAL HD OTA recorder. and have the same hicup problem.

In addition only on the PAL I have no audio and have to switch to secondary (spanish) and then back for the audio to come back through the TV speakers. If I have my Sony HT on I get audio only through the center channel until I do the secondary audio switch.

I do not have this problem with straight OTA to the tv or through Dish satellite, just the hic-up

I think a lot of people just are used to mediocre everything and don't know how to complain to the station via email. I think i will have to send another email to KevinLovell@kvia.com the station manager. to get on the engineers butt.

My Sony HT does the same thing you screen does after a hic-up.

So now we have the same problem OTA, Dish Network and Comcast. The problem is them or the network.

Let me know what you get back.

post #1744 of 1817 Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 PM

Definitely is NOT the network!

The problem is not the station engineer and sometimes is not the fault of the GM but is the station group owner(s) fault. KVIA is an affiliate like all the rest of the other major networks here in town. If you go to another town maybe the local ABC affiliate video quality will be the best or worst in town but at the end you can tell who cares. Like any other TV station is the responsibility of the station engineer to keep the best OTA signal but due to budget constraints sometimes this is not possible because the GM decide to cut budget or Corp would not invest in new technology.

My suggestion: complaint from the root level (station group owners)...smile.gif
post #1745 of 1817 Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 106
So I tested KVIA SAP, I was watching the 10 commandments when they aired it, switched SAP to Spanish, the audio level was way low, I had to pump up the volume to 85% of my TV, compared to 25% in the English channel, is this a local issue or the network sent that audio also?

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1746 of 1817 Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHD4K View Post

The problem is not the station engineer and sometimes is not the fault of the GM but is the station group owner(s) fault. KVIA is an affiliate like all the rest of the other major networks here in town. If you go to another town maybe the local ABC affiliate video quality will be the best or worst in town but at the end you can tell who cares. Like any other TV station is the responsibility of the station engineer to keep the best OTA signal but due to budget constraints sometimes this is not possible because the GM decide to cut budget or Corp would not invest in new technology.

My suggestion: complaint from the root level (station group owners)...smile.gif

KVIA just put in all new equipment, new remote console, to upgrade to Dolby digital 5.1 plus a new control console. They are now bragging about all new weather equipment. They are spending money. The frequent audio dropouts started with the new equipment. It should be the engineers JOB to monitor and make sure everything is OK. The big problem is them not answering e-mails from viewers complains. I still have now heard back from them as per my above post, and the audio problem still exists. If they would recognize the problem and it is the network feed then let us know and get the network to fix the problem. We should not have to complain to the network, and how would we do that anyway?

post #1747 of 1817 Old 05-09-2014, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

So I tested KVIA SAP, I was watching the 10 commandments when they aired it, switched SAP to Spanish, the audio level was way low, I had to pump up the volume to 85% of my TV, compared to 25% in the English channel, is this a local issue or the network sent that audio also?

As I mentioned before I have a HD OTA recorder, that seems to switch to Spanish mode. The audio is not there at all if I use the TV speakers. It only come out the center channel, it is English and is very low, if I feed through my home audio system. I have to use the SAP button to switch out of "Spanish" mode and then the audio is Dolby 5.1. It just started with the new equipment install. I don't have a problem like this through my Dish satellite system. It is only KVIA and I have the same problem on 2 recorders. So it is something KVIA is doing.

post #1748 of 1817 Old 05-10-2014, 04:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHD4K View Post

The frequent audio dropouts started with the new equipment. It should be the engineers JOB to monitor and make sure everything is OK. The big problem is them not answering e-mails from viewers complains. I still have now heard back from them as per my above post, and the audio problem still exists. If they would recognize the problem and it is the network feed then let us know and get the network to fix the problem. We should not have to complain to the network, and how would we do that anyway?

I had been experiencing audio dropouts for about a year (since I bought my new Sony TV) on both KVIA and KFOX. It did not happen all of the time but would start on one of the channels mentioned and last for weeks. I even emailed KFOX but have never gotten any reply from them on anything. I had the dropouts whether using the TV speakers or my Yamaha receiver connected by optical cable. As noted above, I would even see the left/right speaker indicator flash off momentarily. I recently purchased a Tivo and have it connected to the Yahama by optical cable and suddenly all dropouts are gone.
This leads me to consider that these problems are related to compatibility issues with certain equipment. No doubt both broadcasters have some minor glitch in their signal, but some equipment is better at ignoring the problem than others. This is all so much more complicated that in the analog days when if one was experiencing a problem it could be assumed that everyone in town was seeing the same problem on all equipment. My only suggestion other than trying to get results form the stations is to experiment with your set-up and connections.
post #1749 of 1817 Old 05-12-2014, 06:46 AM

I agree, it could be compatibility issues. I seen this many times with on some consumer TV's defaulting to SAP when flipping channels or audio dropouts but other good brand TV's seems to behaved just fine. Now in days equipment require firmware updates just like our PC's at home. Always go to the manufactures website to find out if there is an update pending for your equipment.
post #1750 of 1817 Old 05-12-2014, 09:43 PM

Local ABC station group owner is News Press Gazette Company
President Email: BBRADLEY@NPGCO.COM
Tel: 8162718505

There are several ways you all can raise your voice & Good Luck!
post #1751 of 1817 Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Today it is not just audio drop outs. There are momentary picture freezes as well as audio stuttering. The real problem is it is happening several times a minute at times. Fortunately, basic cable (digital 7-1) comes thru okay. So I set up one of my free HDD recorders to get the season finales tonight and tomorrow using cable. Will have to see if things get better for next Wednesday's finales. Fortunately, everything else I watch on ABC is done for the season.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1752 of 1817 Old 05-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also occurring on DirecTv. KVIA is unwatchable today.
post #1753 of 1817 Old 05-15-2014, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Seems to be fixed this morning, at least for the 15 minutes I've been watching. No dropouts or stutters at all.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1754 of 1817 Old 05-20-2014, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I used SAP (now called MTS), on Sunday watching all the X-men movies on 56-1, the dialog audio level was quite low on English, while on Spanish it was a bit too loud, couldn't find a good balance and on commercial breaks and stuff I had to go from 65% volume to 25% on my TV

The Image quality was great, if only they could fix the audio.

post #1755 of 1817 Old 05-30-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post

I had been experiencing audio dropouts for about a year (since I bought my new Sony TV) on both KVIA and KFOX. It did not happen all of the time but would start on one of the channels mentioned and last for weeks. I even emailed KFOX but have never gotten any reply from them on anything. I had the dropouts whether using the TV speakers or my Yamaha receiver connected by optical cable. As noted above, I would even see the left/right speaker indicator flash off momentarily. I recently purchased a Tivo and have it connected to the Yahama by optical cable and suddenly all dropouts are gone.
This leads me to consider that these problems are related to compatibility issues with certain equipment. No doubt both broadcasters have some minor glitch in their signal, but some equipment is better at ignoring the problem than others. This is all so much more complicated that in the analog days when if one was experiencing a problem it could be assumed that everyone in town was seeing the same problem on all equipment. My only suggestion other than trying to get results form the stations is to experiment with your set-up and connections.

Well, I am noticing the very brief but irritating audio dropouts on KVIA again. I just sent this e-mail to them but we all know how much good that does.

Several of us who participate in avsforum.com are very frustrated with the slight but frequent audio drop-outs on KVIA. I know other members have sent e-mails to no avail. I avoid watching KVIA as much as possible but being OTA only it is hard to give up one out of the five english speaking channels in El Paso. It would be much appreciated if this could be fixed.
post #1756 of 1817 Old 05-30-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if it's station related or my TV just sucks, they seemed to changed 32-1 and 56-1. The kitchen TV (A 26" Vizio 720p) has trouble decoding these 2 channels, I don't have a reader but it seems they are 720P instead of 1080i, I say this because KVIA was the only channel this TV has problems with decoding it. But not since they did the upgrade recently.

The problem is this, this TV struggles, like if it was streaming the image and the speed is too slow to have a smooth image. However there's no pixelation and the signal strength is about 90%.

My other TV that's 1080P and a bit newer has no problems with these 2 channels.

My wife wants me to buy a new one, but I refuse just because it's 2 channels that look "funny" with small pauses in the video stream. (she likes to view that TV instead of the living room one)

Might as well I go buy another 26" 1080P with 120Hz LED (can't fit a larger one on that kitchen counter)

post #1757 of 1817 Old 05-30-2014, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post

Well, I am noticing the very brief but irritating audio dropouts on KVIA again. I just sent this e-mail to them but we all know how much good that does.

Several of us who participate in avsforum.com are very frustrated with the slight but frequent audio drop-outs on KVIA. I know other members have sent e-mails to no avail. I avoid watching KVIA as much as possible but being OTA only it is hard to give up one out of the five English speaking channels in El Paso. It would be much appreciated if this could be fixed.

I am now not getting any audio on my Dish "local channels" KVIA 7-1 for the past week at least. was out of town. All the other -1 channels are OK and so is the direct antenna connection to the TV. The KVIA 7-0 which is Dish's channel # for KVIA is OK except of course for the audio dropouts on national shows. I have re tuned and made dish rescan for the guide but nothing. This stations going from bad to worse. They have not answered my e-mails either, from above posts. But they had the money to install new weather graphics system. Going to e-mail rick cabrerra since he sometime will forward.

post #1758 of 1817 Old 05-30-2014, 08:35 PM

Some older Vizio 720p HDTV's sets decoding 1080i signals is not possible. I also have the same issue with my 42" 720p HDTV.

I agree, the MTS (SAP) audio level from 56.1 is low on English and on Spanish is too loud! Sadly the FCC has no jurisdiction to enforce the law in that country and WYSIWYG and you cannot complaint like we usually do here. Just last week local Televisa affiliate convert 32.2 to HD (1080i). You probably wonder why they air the same programming on 32.1 & 32.2 but different commercial breaks? The reason is because 32.1 is all national content but 32.2 they insert local breaks and is what Time Warner cable picks up OTA due to local commercial break insertion. If you keep an eye 32.1, 32.2 are full 1080i but with the same OTA programming and Azteca is doing the same thing with their x.2 channel is also in HD.

XHJUB - "Tu Canal" 56.1 / 1080i
XHJCI - "Televisa" 32.1 / 1080i
32.2 / 1080i
XHCJE - "Azteca" 11.1 / 1080i
"Proyecto 40 11.2 / 720p
post #1759 of 1817 Old 05-30-2014, 08:38 PM

Did you try contacting:

Local ABC station group owner is News Press Gazette Company
President Email: BBRADLEY@NPGCO.COM
Tel: 8162718505
post #1760 of 1817 Old 05-31-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post

The KVIA 7-0 which is Dish's channel # for KVIA is OK except of course for the audio dropouts on national shows.

I actually notice the audio dropouts more on the local news. I find it ironic that KVIA does seem to have the most extensive local news, (although KFOX is close) but technically they are the weakest signal and have the most problems. I get a stronger and more reliable signal on KSCE, I guess I should take more of an interest in religion. No, I did not contact the corporate office, I guess I should. I have found over the years that most technical complaints are dismissed as "there must be something wrong with the viewer's equipment", or " it is just their imagination".
On the subject of XHJUB, I convinced Tivo to include their guide information due to the fact that shows can be enjoyed by both English and Spanish viewers. However, the program titles and details are in Spanish. I can usually make out the title of the show or Goggle it, but the one time I tried to record something from them it came on 20 minutes late. I suppose I should both take an interest in religion and learn Spanish.
post #1761 of 1817 Old 06-02-2014, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I concluded that the kitchen TV is busted, it's now beginning to freeze, the image stays frozen, on 32.1 or 56.1, sound can still be heard, but the remote won't respond, I had to plug it out from the wall, I guess it's time to shop for a new 26"....

Well it lasted over 6 years so.

post #1762 of 1817 Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

I concluded that the kitchen TV is busted, it's now beginning to freeze, the image stays frozen, on 32.1 or 56.1, sound can still be heard, but the remote won't respond, I had to plug it out from the wall, I guess it's time to shop for a new 26"....

Well it lasted over 6 years so.

Leave it unplugged for several hours and then plug it back in. Sometimes that will force the computer inside to reboot. Be sure to leave it unplugged so all the capacitors can discharge.

post #1763 of 1817 Old 06-03-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys ready for the World Cup? it seems we'll have a lot of coverage enough to get all the games, at least Unimas is airing at least 2 a day...

We also are having the Breaking Bad spanish clone named Metastasis airing this Sunday and every day like a "novela"

post #1764 of 1817 Old 06-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Got audio back on Dish OTA 7-1, but still no email reply from anyone at the station. Not much on KVIA to watch to listen to audio drop outs but I'll try and force myself to listen to news and some new summer shows.

post #1765 of 1817 Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post
Got audio back on Dish OTA 7-1, but still no email reply from anyone at the station. Not much on KVIA to watch to listen to audio drop outs but I'll try and force myself to listen to news and some new summer shows.

Was watching World Columbia/Greece This morning. KVIA constantly freezing up for split second, On Dish also. Switched to channel 26-1 for about 5 minutes and didn't noticed any problems, but switched back to KVIA since I don't speak Spanish.

Will see if have the same problem during england/italy on ESPN later.

post #1766 of 1817 Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Was watching World Columbia/Greece This morning. KVIA constantly freezing up for split second, On Dish also. Switched to channel 26-1 for about 5 minutes and didn't noticed any problems, but switched back to KVIA since I don't speak Spanish.

Will see if have the same problem during england/italy on ESPN later.
No problems on ESPN 's England/Italy game. But, already this morning there are freezups on KVIA local news, I'm sure WC will be the same. let you know.

post #1767 of 1817 Old 06-16-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

You guys getting a lot of pixelization, AKA low bandwidth on KINT 26.1? I compared the Colombia-Greece game and KVIA's quality looked so much better, on fast camera pans and action KINT is un-watchable and they do a lot of those close ups on players running, those look horrible on Univision.

Going to try to contact the station techs, to see if they can DELETE one subchannel for at least the World Cup duration and allocate more bandwidth to the main channel (I still can't fathom why they have Unimas SD in the 26 spectrum)

Sadly 26.1 is the only channel that is transmitting most if not all the games, while the Mexican counterparts is just 1 game a day from 3, and this is the country that loves soccer so much and gets so little coverage, unless you were dumb enough to subscribe for overpaid SKY system. (monopoly is surely killing the TV in Mexico)

post #1768 of 1817 Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

ESPN has no problems. KVIA , during the Spurs/Heat game was freezing so bad last night it was almost unwatchable. I think it cleared up late in the game but I was so intense on watching the Spurs great comeback I can't remember if it was still freezing (2 seconds) or just doing it less. A friend called who has AT&T uverse and was having the same problem. So KVIA OTA, KVIA on Dish and ATT all had freezing picture problems. Don't know about TWC.

post #1769 of 1817 Old 07-08-2014, 04:31 AM

In the past couple of days I have started noticing audio dropouts on KDBC. It only happens during CBS programming and not on the local news or infomercials. I am OTA only and see no fluctuation in the signal. I just avoid watching KVIA due to this problem but all of my favorite shows are on CBS. I just e-mailed channel 4 and if any other local members are hearing this would appreciate their contacting the station also.
It seems we have more problems with the sound than the picture with this digital TV.
post #1770 of 1817 Old 07-08-2014, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
In the past couple of days I have started noticing audio dropouts on KDBC. It only happens during CBS programming and not on the local news or infomercials. I am OTA only and see no fluctuation in the signal. I just avoid watching KVIA due to this problem but all of my favorite shows are on CBS. I just e-mailed channel 4 and if any other local members are hearing this would appreciate their contacting the station also.
It seems we have more problems with the sound than the picture with this digital TV.
I have also noticed the dropouts mostly in the beginning and then it clears up and starts again, where as KVIA is more rhythmic. KFox seems the same. Go to double check if it is on both OTA and Dish Sat. It is getting very annoying. and with the ownership changes don't who who to e-mail and mostly they don't answer back anyway. I will email both.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page