El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1771 of 1783 Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM
Member
 
tcutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The KDBC problem is always at the beginning of shows about 30-60 seconds in, the sound goes off and then back on within the minute. This started this summer; all TV season it had been the same thing with the screen going black at the same interval as the sound now being off. Extremely irritating. (I'm on DTV)
tcutty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1772 of 1783 Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
FRANK43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East El Paso, Texas
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcutty View Post
The KDBC problem is always at the beginning of shows about 30-60 seconds in, the sound goes off and then back on within the minute. This started this summer; all TV season it had been the same thing with the screen going black at the same interval as the sound now being off. Extremely irritating. (I'm on DTV)
Watched Extant tonight and the sound would "hickup" about once a minute and did it through out the show. I'm pretty sure Sinclair Broadcasting, who also owns KFOX owns KDBC now. I read they are building a new new center to house both by the end of the year. Emailing KDBC directly or KFOX may have to be done. Will research email addresses and contacts.

FRANK43 is offline  
post #1773 of 1783 Old 07-11-2014, 04:33 AM
Member
 
tcutty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 77
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Watched Extant last night (Wednesday broadcast on DVR). Had numerous hiccups, but not the 30-60 sound blackout at the beginning of the show, on DirecTv
tcutty is offline  
post #1774 of 1783 Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DrLar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,925
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I watched Under The Dome and had no hiccups...

It seems the KINT-TV pixelization problem is not only here but in some other cities... little consolation price the next World Cup will be carried by Telemundo (and I bet NBC in English)..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
DrLar is offline  
post #1775 of 1783 Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Mister B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just watched the CBS news and indeed there were just a couple of minor "hiccups". However, I did watch the first part of the KVIA news at noon and the audio dropouts were very distracting. They were missing several syllables or even whole words each minute. What is interesting is that I do not hear the problem on the CW (7-2) although I seldom watch that blurry subchannel. Yes, KFOX has the same problem but not quite as severe. So, 3 out of the 4 big English language networks have this problem here in El Paso. Are the Spanish channels this bad? I would think the fault must lie with my equipment if not for these reports from other members of this forum in the area. Also, I never have audio dropouts on KTSM or KCOS.
I know that Dish Network just gets their signal OTA and believe that is the case for Directv also. Does anyone know if Time Warner customers suffer from these problems? All of the above mentioned affiliates have digital lines to the cable company, that is why when there is an outage, only OTA and satellite customers are affected. I would be reluctant to pay $25 per month just to get the local channels, but it would be an option to keep in mind if it were indeed more reliable without these constant irritations. On the other hand, there is always Netflix.
Mister B is offline  
post #1776 of 1783 Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
FRANK43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East El Paso, Texas
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I just watched the CBS news and indeed there were just a couple of minor "hiccups". However, I did watch the first part of the KVIA news at noon and the audio dropouts were very distracting. They were missing several syllables or even whole words each minute. What is interesting is that I do not hear the problem on the CW (7-2) although I seldom watch that blurry subchannel. Yes, KFOX has the same problem but not quite as severe. So, 3 out of the 4 big English language networks have this problem here in El Paso. Are the Spanish channels this bad? I would think the fault must lie with my equipment if not for these reports from other members of this forum in the area. Also, I never have audio dropouts on KTSM or KCOS.
I know that Dish Network just gets their signal OTA and believe that is the case for Directv also. Does anyone know if Time Warner customers suffer from these problems? All of the above mentioned affiliates have digital lines to the cable company, that is why when there is an outage, only OTA and satellite customers are affected. I would be reluctant to pay $25 per month just to get the local channels, but it would be an option to keep in mind if it were indeed more reliable without these constant irritations. On the other hand, there is always Netflix.
Same problems here, KDBC might have cleared up, will pay more attention tonight during "Extant" KVIA is just terrible the last few days, picture breaking up now along withe the long time problem of audio hiccuping. KFOX some hiccupping once in a while. My problem with KTSM is with the Today show and National evening news and the volume suddenly jumping very high. Have to hit the volume either up or down to get it to drop down. This only happens on these shows that I know of. I have all these problems OTA directly hooked to the TV, Dish Network both the -0 and the Dish OTA -1 so I know it is not my equipment. The Satellite signal is beamed from the local to the Satellite. That is why it took a long time for all the equipment to be installed at the stations a few years ago. You can tell the difference because there is about a 1 second delay when you switch from OTA to Satelite. I don't know anyone who has TWC or ATT. I do know this is all becoming very very annoying and nobody seems to respond to e-mails. I have sent so many over the years maybe I am blackballed. Evidently nobody at the respective stations watch their own programing since they would report it to the engineers who should be catching this them selves. With all the stations except KVIA being sold and swapped who knows who cares about anythng until everything is finalized. We all pay a lot of money for good TV's for picture and Home Theater systems for good audio.

FRANK43 is offline  
post #1777 of 1783 Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
FRANK43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East El Paso, Texas
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Extant on KDBC last night seemed OK. I sent KVIA's engineer, elias.ventanilla@kvia.com, an email again about picture breaking up and hicccuping. See if I get an answer back. Not holding my breath though.

FRANK43 is offline  
post #1778 of 1783 Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
FRANK43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East El Paso, Texas
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post
Extant on KDBC last night seemed OK. I sent KVIA's engineer, elias.ventanilla@kvia.com, an email again about picture breaking up and hicccuping. See if I get an answer back. Not holding my breath though.
Got this respons from Elias at KVIA, He used to be very responsive. Maybe he was on vacation or something last time. We will see if the issues are resolved. If not maybe we can all email him next time

Hi Frank, We did find an issue related to our transmitter microwave link that was causing some of these issues. We also lost our fiber connectivity to Time warner on July 3 due to construction downtown, but we are reestablishing services next week. This should improve the channels on Time warner. FYI, We had a meeting with their technical staff to address the some of this issues and get a resolution date. On the audio issue, we should be back to normal, since the problems were not audio related but stream related. regards, Elias

FRANK43 is offline  
post #1779 of 1783 Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM
Senior Member
 
mreedelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If back to normal means having the first 3-5 minutes of the program being silent, then, yes, everything is normal. The morning shows (GMA and This Week) on KVIA had this problem this morning.

Now KDBC is showing a movie in postage stamp format (borders on all sides). Can't even zoom by changing the TV's aspects, only makes it far worse.

Just checked my recording of Wednesday's episode of Extant recorded from cable, KDBC provided it to TWC in 4:3 format. On the CW, KVIA is providing TWC everything in 4:3, even primetime shows. Just because it's summer and many shows are repeats doesn't mean you lower broadcast quality. Except in El Paso!

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
mreedelp is offline  
post #1780 of 1783 Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member
 
FRANK43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North East El Paso, Texas
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
If back to normal means having the first 3-5 minutes of the program being silent, then, yes, everything is normal. The morning shows (GMA and This Week) on KVIA had this problem this morning.

Now KDBC is showing a movie in postage stamp format (borders on all sides). Can't even zoom by changing the TV's aspects, only makes it far worse.

Just checked my recording of Wednesday's episode of Extant recorded from cable, KDBC provided it to TWC in 4:3 format. On the CW, KVIA is providing TWC everything in 4:3, even primetime shows. Just because it's summer and many shows are repeats doesn't mean you lower broadcast quality. Except in El Paso!
Noticed the no audio on GMA also. It was thee the first few minutes then went off and then came back. The CW will never be in HD as it is a secondary channel, ie 7.2 or 7.0 on Dish. 7.1 channels re the only ones in HD because of bandwidth requirement. KDBC' local commercials wee just in HD and most national in letterbox. It is possible the Tempest was filmed in letterbox format. Not all movies are in full widescreen. Exant on Dish and OTA were in full HD. KDBC might be having the same fiber cable break that KVIA has with TWC from work downtown.

FRANK43 is offline  
post #1781 of 1783 Old 07-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Mister B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I happen to be in Arizona at the time. It is very noticeable how much more professional the local Phoenix affiliates are. It is time El Paso grew up and quit acting like a city much smaller than it's actual population.
Mister B is offline  
post #1782 of 1783 Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member
 
cube799's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The weird thing is that KFOX is also showing the Tempest and they're showing it in HD.
cube799 is offline  
post #1783 of 1783 Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Senior Member
 
mreedelp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When I was talking about the CW being in 4:3, I was talking about the feed TWC is putting out on basic cable (the CW is the only real reason I get basic cable). Usually, for prime time it is in 16:9, not 4:3 center-cut like over the air. For some reason, for the last couple of weeks TWC hasn't been getting the 16:9 signal.

Darn, wish I had seen that KFOX was showing The Tempest in HD, I would have recorded it instead of the mess KDBC aired. I just happened to be on KDBC before starting to watch a recording of 24 and saw the title flash onscreen. Immediately started recording it because I have been hoping to see it. Just wish NETFLIX would get it now.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER

Last edited by mreedelp; 07-20-2014 at 03:35 PM.
mreedelp is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off