El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1771 of 1800 Old 07-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The KDBC problem is always at the beginning of shows about 30-60 seconds in, the sound goes off and then back on within the minute. This started this summer; all TV season it had been the same thing with the screen going black at the same interval as the sound now being off. Extremely irritating. (I'm on DTV)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1800 Old 07-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcutty View Post
The KDBC problem is always at the beginning of shows about 30-60 seconds in, the sound goes off and then back on within the minute. This started this summer; all TV season it had been the same thing with the screen going black at the same interval as the sound now being off. Extremely irritating. (I'm on DTV)
Watched Extant tonight and the sound would "hickup" about once a minute and did it through out the show. I'm pretty sure Sinclair Broadcasting, who also owns KFOX owns KDBC now. I read they are building a new new center to house both by the end of the year. Emailing KDBC directly or KFOX may have to be done. Will research email addresses and contacts.

post #1773 of 1800 Old 07-11-2014, 04:33 AM

Watched Extant last night (Wednesday broadcast on DVR). Had numerous hiccups, but not the 30-60 sound blackout at the beginning of the show, on DirecTv
post #1774 of 1800 Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I watched Under The Dome and had no hiccups...

It seems the KINT-TV pixelization problem is not only here but in some other cities... little consolation price the next World Cup will be carried by Telemundo (and I bet NBC in English)..

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #1775 of 1800 Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just watched the CBS news and indeed there were just a couple of minor "hiccups". However, I did watch the first part of the KVIA news at noon and the audio dropouts were very distracting. They were missing several syllables or even whole words each minute. What is interesting is that I do not hear the problem on the CW (7-2) although I seldom watch that blurry subchannel. Yes, KFOX has the same problem but not quite as severe. So, 3 out of the 4 big English language networks have this problem here in El Paso. Are the Spanish channels this bad? I would think the fault must lie with my equipment if not for these reports from other members of this forum in the area. Also, I never have audio dropouts on KTSM or KCOS.
I know that Dish Network just gets their signal OTA and believe that is the case for Directv also. Does anyone know if Time Warner customers suffer from these problems? All of the above mentioned affiliates have digital lines to the cable company, that is why when there is an outage, only OTA and satellite customers are affected. I would be reluctant to pay $25 per month just to get the local channels, but it would be an option to keep in mind if it were indeed more reliable without these constant irritations. On the other hand, there is always Netflix.
post #1776 of 1800 Old 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I just watched the CBS news and indeed there were just a couple of minor "hiccups". However, I did watch the first part of the KVIA news at noon and the audio dropouts were very distracting. They were missing several syllables or even whole words each minute. What is interesting is that I do not hear the problem on the CW (7-2) although I seldom watch that blurry subchannel. Yes, KFOX has the same problem but not quite as severe. So, 3 out of the 4 big English language networks have this problem here in El Paso. Are the Spanish channels this bad? I would think the fault must lie with my equipment if not for these reports from other members of this forum in the area. Also, I never have audio dropouts on KTSM or KCOS.
I know that Dish Network just gets their signal OTA and believe that is the case for Directv also. Does anyone know if Time Warner customers suffer from these problems? All of the above mentioned affiliates have digital lines to the cable company, that is why when there is an outage, only OTA and satellite customers are affected. I would be reluctant to pay $25 per month just to get the local channels, but it would be an option to keep in mind if it were indeed more reliable without these constant irritations. On the other hand, there is always Netflix.
Same problems here, KDBC might have cleared up, will pay more attention tonight during "Extant" KVIA is just terrible the last few days, picture breaking up now along withe the long time problem of audio hiccuping. KFOX some hiccupping once in a while. My problem with KTSM is with the Today show and National evening news and the volume suddenly jumping very high. Have to hit the volume either up or down to get it to drop down. This only happens on these shows that I know of. I have all these problems OTA directly hooked to the TV, Dish Network both the -0 and the Dish OTA -1 so I know it is not my equipment. The Satellite signal is beamed from the local to the Satellite. That is why it took a long time for all the equipment to be installed at the stations a few years ago. You can tell the difference because there is about a 1 second delay when you switch from OTA to Satelite. I don't know anyone who has TWC or ATT. I do know this is all becoming very very annoying and nobody seems to respond to e-mails. I have sent so many over the years maybe I am blackballed. Evidently nobody at the respective stations watch their own programing since they would report it to the engineers who should be catching this them selves. With all the stations except KVIA being sold and swapped who knows who cares about anythng until everything is finalized. We all pay a lot of money for good TV's for picture and Home Theater systems for good audio.

post #1777 of 1800 Old 07-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Extant on KDBC last night seemed OK. I sent KVIA's engineer, elias.ventanilla@kvia.com, an email again about picture breaking up and hicccuping. See if I get an answer back. Not holding my breath though.

post #1778 of 1800 Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post
Extant on KDBC last night seemed OK. I sent KVIA's engineer, elias.ventanilla@kvia.com, an email again about picture breaking up and hicccuping. See if I get an answer back. Not holding my breath though.
Got this respons from Elias at KVIA, He used to be very responsive. Maybe he was on vacation or something last time. We will see if the issues are resolved. If not maybe we can all email him next time

Hi Frank, We did find an issue related to our transmitter microwave link that was causing some of these issues. We also lost our fiber connectivity to Time warner on July 3 due to construction downtown, but we are reestablishing services next week. This should improve the channels on Time warner. FYI, We had a meeting with their technical staff to address the some of this issues and get a resolution date. On the audio issue, we should be back to normal, since the problems were not audio related but stream related. regards, Elias

post #1779 of 1800 Old 07-20-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If back to normal means having the first 3-5 minutes of the program being silent, then, yes, everything is normal. The morning shows (GMA and This Week) on KVIA had this problem this morning.

Now KDBC is showing a movie in postage stamp format (borders on all sides). Can't even zoom by changing the TV's aspects, only makes it far worse.

Just checked my recording of Wednesday's episode of Extant recorded from cable, KDBC provided it to TWC in 4:3 format. On the CW, KVIA is providing TWC everything in 4:3, even primetime shows. Just because it's summer and many shows are repeats doesn't mean you lower broadcast quality. Except in El Paso!

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1780 of 1800 Old 07-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
If back to normal means having the first 3-5 minutes of the program being silent, then, yes, everything is normal. The morning shows (GMA and This Week) on KVIA had this problem this morning.

Now KDBC is showing a movie in postage stamp format (borders on all sides). Can't even zoom by changing the TV's aspects, only makes it far worse.

Just checked my recording of Wednesday's episode of Extant recorded from cable, KDBC provided it to TWC in 4:3 format. On the CW, KVIA is providing TWC everything in 4:3, even primetime shows. Just because it's summer and many shows are repeats doesn't mean you lower broadcast quality. Except in El Paso!
Noticed the no audio on GMA also. It was thee the first few minutes then went off and then came back. The CW will never be in HD as it is a secondary channel, ie 7.2 or 7.0 on Dish. 7.1 channels re the only ones in HD because of bandwidth requirement. KDBC' local commercials wee just in HD and most national in letterbox. It is possible the Tempest was filmed in letterbox format. Not all movies are in full widescreen. Exant on Dish and OTA were in full HD. KDBC might be having the same fiber cable break that KVIA has with TWC from work downtown.

post #1781 of 1800 Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
The weird thing is that KFOX is also showing the Tempest and they're showing it in HD.
post #1782 of 1800 Old 07-20-2014, 03:31 PM

When I was talking about the CW being in 4:3, I was talking about the feed TWC is putting out on basic cable (the CW is the only real reason I get basic cable). Usually, for prime time it is in 16:9, not 4:3 center-cut like over the air. For some reason, for the last couple of weeks TWC hasn't been getting the 16:9 signal.

Darn, wish I had seen that KFOX was showing The Tempest in HD, I would have recorded it instead of the mess KDBC aired. I just happened to be on KDBC before starting to watch a recording of 24 and saw the title flash onscreen. Immediately started recording it because I have been hoping to see it. Just wish NETFLIX would get it now.

TWC ROADRUNNER

Last edited by mreedelp; 07-20-2014 at 03:35 PM.
post #1783 of 1800 Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 PM

I just noticed today that the KVIA signal on RF 17 is much stronger than it has been for at least a couple of years. I am getting a signal-to-noise ratio of about 27db. That is about in line with what the UHF 17 signal was pre-transition and also after they put it back up a couple of months after the transition. According to the "rabbitears.info" site both KVIA and KTSM are to move to UHF only at some point. However, I believe much is uncertain due to this planned auction of broadcast spectrum.
By the way, don't get your hopes up, the audio stutter is also present on the RF 17 signal.
post #1784 of 1800 Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
I just noticed today that the KVIA signal on RF 17 is much stronger than it has been for at least a couple of years. I am getting a signal-to-noise ratio of about 27db. That is about in line with what the UHF 17 signal was pre-transition and also after they put it back up a couple of months after the transition. According to the "rabbitears.info" site both KVIA and KTSM are to move to UHF only at some point. However, I believe much is uncertain due to this planned auction of broadcast spectrum.
By the way, don't get your hopes up, the audio stutter is also present on the RF 17 signal.
What is RF 17 and uhf 17? I get a signal on 7 and 17 when I go to the add stations but the signal strength is the same on both. I have a very small UHF ant in my attic with a -10 db thing in the line to puposly give me a lower signal. Long story but I have a PAL HD OTA recorder and with out the -10 db and small antenna it picks up all the stations in mexico and throws off the PSIP time clock for the guide.

post #1785 of 1800 Old 07-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Frank, you are correct. RF (radio frequency) and UHF (ultra-high frequency) are just different terminologies. You live in a different part of town so that may explain why you have not noticed the increase in signal strength for the version of KVIA on 17. Hopefully, it will prove useful to viewers in some locations.
post #1786 of 1800 Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 AM

A few days ago my neighbor was moving out and I could not resist offering him $20 for his TV antenna. It is a medium sized Channel Master VHF/UHF that includes the elements for low-VHF. I have not had anything that went down to channel 2 for several years and it is kind of interesting to see the old analog channels 2 and 5. I will miss the Juarez analogs when they go off. Does anyone know when that is scheduled to happen (Dr Lar) ? Just one glance at an analog channel gives a wealth of information about signal strength, multipath and interference that can not be gained by a simple signal quality meter built into most TV sets. Of course, analog channels 26 and 48 are low power stations in the U.S. I believe the deadline for those to either go off or change to digital is in 2016. I am not sure why Telemundo bothers to simulcast their signal on analog 48 when the digital version comes from the same location. They may be targeting viewers in Mexico who do not have a digital set yet, but they do not count in the Neilson ratings as far as the economics of the business go. Analog channel 26 seems to have switched affiliates again as the Spanish News they used to carry is now seen on channel 44.4. They have an application in with the FCC for a license as digital 40, which was their old location on the dial ( they started out on 69).
Another reason I wanted the old all band antenna is this proposed repackaging of the broadcast channels. I even saw an add during the KFOX morning news today about it. If all of the broadcasters in our crowded market (and it is crowded considering El Paso, Juarez, Las Cruces and Alamogordo) have to squeeze down below channel 37 or even 31, they may have to resort to using the low VHF band again.
Well, just a bit of insight and commentary for our local AVS forum members.
post #1787 of 1800 Old 08-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Well according to the Mexican FCC(COFETEL) the border cities are supposed to turn off Analog on November 2014. It was originally supposed to be in May, but they delayed it because there wasn't enough penetration. Let's see if they don't delay it again. One thing that worries me is what digital channel 32 is going to do, on Wednesday when it rained they had no signal from 8-8:20 PM. I had to watch on the Analog Channel. Also when there is a wind of more than 30 MPH the channel starts to pause. They should increase their signal.
post #1788 of 1800 Old 08-04-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

The Mexican government is supposed to give digital TVs to the poor people before shutting down analog, there's no announcements or anything said here in the border, maybe they are over-spending on TVs instead of just giving out converter boxes, that are much cheaper ($50 tops) than a cheap LCD TV ($149 the cheapest I've seen at 21", very generic brand)

Currently there's not standalone analog channel, every channel has it's digital channel already, we are set for analog shutdown anytime except for those TVs/Converter boxes.

You got to be stunned when a lot of poor people (min wage earners) already have an LCD TV at home and nice phone (with at least touch screen, camera and wifi)

post #1789 of 1800 Old 08-08-2014, 11:55 AM

The KVIA stutter is really bad today.

Anyone know what happened Thursday night with KVIA's primetime broadcast? The first 15 minutes of my recording of Rookie Blue was The Quest. Was there just bad programming with The Quest being scheduled to run long but nobody knew (no listings either in papers, TV Guide, or on-line had Rookie Blue starting late) or did the night start off late because of technical problems locally? Or, couldn't they decide what to show: preseason football or the first-run shows (see below)?

Another problem was KFOX preempting Gang Related for Cowboy preseason football. Just saw an article in another forum about all major networks preempting at different locales around the country. It's only preseason--who cares? And on one of the only nights with first-run scripted shows!!

TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1790 of 1800 Old 08-08-2014, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Today during the Noon News on KVIA I noticed the stutter it would pause every minute or so. This is the first time I've noticed the stutter.
post #1791 of 1800 Old 08-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube799 View Post
Today during the Noon News on KVIA I noticed the stutter it would pause every minute or so. This is the first time I've noticed the stutter.
I noticed this morning that the picture was breaking up hence the long stutter and lose of sound. The problem was still there on noon news. Happened so often it was unwatchable. A drop of rain in this town and everything goes haywire.lol

Also in response to previous post. KFOX is the Cowboys local programer, even for preseason. The problem is they never changed the schedule on OTA, or Satellite. So a lot of Cowboys fan, myself included, didn't flip over to fox. A friend told me he was going to watch on NFL network were it was scheduled but another game was on. He checked FOX on a hunch and it was there.

post #1792 of 1800 Old 08-11-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

What the heck happened on KDBC last night? 60 minutes ended at 8PM, then instead of "unforgettable" and "reckless" they showed Big Brother and some home improvement show. They also had on their OTA quide. KDBC TV3 and KCBCTV 4 in the 8 and 9 PM slots and "no Information and the others and today's. Going to send an email to the station manager on their web site.

post #1793 of 1800 Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM

Golf tournament ran long. Think Unforgettable and Reckless were pre-empted nation-wide.

TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1794 of 1800 Old 08-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Golf tournament ran long. Think Unforgettable and Reckless were pre-empted nation-wide.
Yep! this answer I just got from KDBC:
The PGA golf tournament ran very long due to a rain delay. As a result, CBS opted to show 60 Minutes and Big Brother in its entirety and the they decided to preempt last night's scheduled airing of Unforgettable. Because we are in the mountain time zone, CBS has those stations fill with local programming until 10pm. Thank you. Gary

post #1795 of 1800 Old 09-13-2014, 05:29 PM

Watching the UTEP-NMSU game on basic cable 7-2 (OTA is unwatchable). It is in 16:9 1080i and has a very good picture. Except:

1. Some replays seem to be analog stretched. Either that or they just have bad recorders when playing back, especially at slow speed. Other replays look pretty good.

2. Some close-up shots from field level have some problems with focus. On some sideline shots of the bench area, close-up people are blurry and people in the middle are crisp. Other shots only the person in the middle of the screen is clear while everyone at the sides are blurry. Strange. Edit (end of 1st QTR): Okay. After watching some more it appears they are manually focusing on a specific spot and it blurs everything else. Don't think I've seen this technique before for anything on TV. Usually everything in the frame is focused.

I was surprised they were showing it in 16:9 on cable 7-2. Everything all summer (including primetime shows that were shown originally in 16:9) has been 4:3.

Edit after first half: Who are these guys in the white uniforms? Are they really UTEP players? Is this a dream?

TWC ROADRUNNER

Last edited by mreedelp; 09-13-2014 at 06:31 PM.
post #1796 of 1800 Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Watching the UTEP-NMSU game on basic cable 7-2 (OTA is unwatchable). It is in 16:9 1080i and has a very good picture. Except:

1. Some replays seem to be analog stretched. Either that or they just have bad recorders when playing back, especially at slow speed. Other replays look pretty good.

2. Some close-up shots from field level have some problems with focus. On some sideline shots of the bench area, close-up people are blurry and people in the middle are crisp. Other shots only the person in the middle of the screen is clear while everyone at the sides are blurry. Strange. Edit (end of 1st QTR): Okay. After watching some more it appears they are manually focusing on a specific spot and it blurs everything else. Don't think I've seen this technique before for anything on TV. Usually everything in the frame is focused.

I was surprised they were showing it in 16:9 on cable 7-2. Everything all summer (including primetime shows that were shown originally in 16:9) has been 4:3.

Edit after first half: Who are these guys in the white uniforms? Are they really UTEP players? Is this a dream?
14-2 also had the UTEP-NMSU game and TWC digital channel 1248 (RTV), all look the same too me.

By the way TWC digital local channels line-up change to 1200 - 1272!
post #1797 of 1800 Old 09-14-2014, 10:17 AM

The 12## series numbers only apply to those using a box. For those of us with basic cable and no box, local digital stations are still 4-1, 4-2, 7-1, 7-2, 9-1, 9-2, 14-1 and 14-2 (I'm not including a couple of Spanish language stations).

Just checked 7-2 and it is still in 16:9 this morning. I guess KVIA got their feed to TWC fixed. Hope it stays that way for when the CW fall season starts in October. Didn't relish the thought of watching all the shows via the CW website. If only we could get the CW as 16:9 OTA, I could save a couple hundred dollars a year by getting rid of basic cable. Although if the price keeps going up I may end up watching the CW via the website.

TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1798 of 1800 Old 09-21-2014, 10:59 AM

KDBC is off the air (on DirecTv) and also blacking out the game on DirecTv football package. Very, very bad. Better be fixed by 2:25 when the Broncos come on, or lift the blackout.

Update:
No one home at KDBC to talk to, direct you to your service provider.
Talked to DirecTv, KDBC is now relinquishing control of Texan and Bronco games and are no longer blacked out on NFL package (channel 7xx games).

Last edited by tcutty; 09-21-2014 at 11:17 AM.
post #1799 of 1800 Old 09-24-2014, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I lost 48.1 Weekend and Monday after the rainstorms, they must damaged their El Paso antenna or something, the analog was barely visible.. it seems back to normal now.

post #1800 of 1800 Old 09-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

I Lost 48.1 KTDO on Wednesday and it didn't come back until Friday. It came back just in time to watch the Leon game. I also noticed on Sunday that KDBC wasn't working from about 11 AM to 12:15 PM They put on the screen that they were having technical difficulties.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page