El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 62 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1831 of 1853 Old 11-02-2014, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
KVIA looks good OTA! Las Cruces translator OTA is not feed in HD 16:9.

The Fox London game was a network issue rather than an affiliate issue. I saw the same problem here in Alamogordo with a different TV affiliate.

11/2/14
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1853 Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraHD4K View Post
KVIA looks good OTA! Las Cruces translator OTA is not feed in HD 16:9.

The Fox London game was a network issue rather than an affiliate issue. I saw the same problem here in Alamogordo with a different TV affiliate.

11/2/14
Fox must be having trouble again with network feed. Pregame audio is all messed up on Dish. OTA it is OK but picture is not HD. It is 16:9 but not good quality, not sharp and clear. Last night just flipping trough channels the college game on fox was also messed up audio. The local commercials seem OK and HD OTA, have not checked Dish.

post #1833 of 1853 Old 11-02-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post
Seemed OK on the OTA antenna and Dish for local news and Good morning America.
Yeah, it looks like the issue is only on DirecTV. Can someone else confirm if KVIA is in HD on Time Warner and Comcast? I guess the local DirecTV site where they get local station feeds and beam them to the satellite cannot use an OTA antenna instead of a direct feed from the station (or at least KVIA).
post #1834 of 1853 Old 11-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
On Time Warner, I have not seen any video issues on KVIA, just the usual audio stutter especially on local content. My complaint is that the CW is now in 16 X 9 SD (480i). I called the cable company and told them that the only two reasons I take the local channels from them is to get KRWG from NMSU rather than our sad PBS affiliate and to get the CW in HD. Amazingly, the service representative understood my complaint and at least said he would send a report 'further up'.
Also, while I have been gone, it seems Mynetwork programming from 6PM to 8PM on weeknights from KDBC-02 is in 16 X9 SD. It is not too bad and they have some good re-runs from recent primetime shows.
post #1835 of 1853 Old 11-02-2014, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There were big problems with the KVIA feed of the CW to Time Warner Thursday. Everything was squished into the center of the screen. The picture was probably less than 1/4 of the screen. It was back to 16:9 on Friday but I don't remember if cable had it at 480i or 1080i. Didn't really matter to me since I wouldn't be recording the CW again until Monday night.

Like you, the only reason I have basic cable to get the CW in HD (don't need KRWG since I can get KCOS over the air in HD). Even so, it is getting too expensive to justify that much longer.

5 MAGNAVOX 2160 & 7 PHILIPS 3576 OTA
TWC ROADRUNNER

Last edited by mreedelp; 11-02-2014 at 06:37 PM.
post #1836 of 1853 Old 11-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artiepenguin View Post
Yeah, it looks like the issue is only on DirecTV. Can someone else confirm if KVIA is in HD on Time Warner and Comcast? I guess the local DirecTV site where they get local station feeds and beam them to the satellite cannot use an OTA antenna instead of a direct feed from the station (or at least KVIA).
http://www.kvia.com/news/work-being-...rectv/29503510

post #1837 of 1853 Old 11-03-2014, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Since Friday KFOX has been airing The Big Bang Theory reruns in really bad quality. Everyone in the show is turning into blocks. Has anyone noticed this happening on other KFOX shows.
post #1838 of 1853 Old 11-04-2014, 05:15 AM

Yes, I noticed the re-run on KFOX in poor quality. I thought they may be degrading their signal as it seems the CW has done. These local stations are just pitiful. I have been staying with relatives and watching TV out of Yuma, AZ. Their DMA is ranked #159 while ours is at 74, according to rabbitears.info. Although they do not even have an ABC affiliate, what they do have seems more professional than ours. I do not like to post negative comments which reflect badly on our city, but there is certainly room for improvement.
post #1839 of 1853 Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 AM

Yesterday, I dropped the local channels from Time Warner. As I had posted earlier, I was only interested in getting the CW in HD and KRWG from Las Cruces. It appears that either TW or KVIA have no intention of delivering the CW in HD anymore. Now that it is in 16X9 480i they must feel that is good enough. It no doubt cost one or both parties involved some fee to run that dedicated HD line. Although disappointing, the picture on OTA 7-2 is noticeably better than the cable version.
In regards to KRWG, I sat down twice to watch a show and it was just a small square of color bars in the center of the screen. I have never seen any channel with just that size and style of color bars and my inclination is that again the digital line to Las Cruces was down.
All in all, it was just not worth paying for.
post #1840 of 1853 Old 11-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister B View Post
Yesterday, I dropped the local channels from Time Warner. As I had posted earlier, I was only interested in getting the CW in HD and KRWG from Las Cruces. It appears that either TW or KVIA have no intention of delivering the CW in HD anymore. Now that it is in 16X9 480i they must feel that is good enough. It no doubt cost one or both parties involved some fee to run that dedicated HD line. Although disappointing, the picture on OTA 7-2 is noticeably better than the cable version.
In regards to KRWG, I sat down twice to watch a show and it was just a small square of color bars in the center of the screen. I have never seen any channel with just that size and style of color bars and my inclination is that again the digital line to Las Cruces was down.
All in all, it was just not worth paying for.
The CW through KVIA 7-2 never was in HD. There is not enough bandwidth allocated by the government to run 2 stations in HD. They are squeezing 4 stations in that small amount of bandwidth and all of them suffer picture quality degradation. At the least they should drop the stupid weather, 7.3 and 7-4 Spanish speaking programs, I think, Like there aren't enough Spanish language programs already locally and from Mexico and use it for 7-1 for a better HD picture.

post #1841 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 04:55 AM

He was talking about the HD available on cable, not OTA. TWC provided The CW in 1080i 16:9 until several weeks ago when KVIA had their equipment problems. Now TWC only provides 480i 16:9 via basic cable. Don't know if they still provide it via a set-top box (the high channel numbers) because I refuse to rent one just for one channel.

If the signal from TWC isn't fixed soon, I will be dropping my basic cable at the end of December.

TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1842 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 05:48 AM

No, the picture on the CW was the same 16X9 480i whether tuned to cable channel 13 or 1212. I had the HD DVR.
Speaking of two HD channels on the same frequency, have any other members noticed the two 1080i signals on 32-1 and 32-2 from Juarez as well as the two HD's on 11-1 and 11-2? They both look pretty good at least on my 40 inch set. I even suspected they were not actually transmitting on the same real RF frequency but were using PSIP trickery to display as such. This happens in the Los Angles area where the airwaves are so crowded that a major station will lease space on a minor broadcasters frequency for their sub-channels. However, I dug down through the menu in regards to the Juarez stations and found that they do indeed both broadcast on the same real channel. I believe it is 29 for virtual 32 and 34 for 11. So, it can be done and evidently they have the latest technology across the river.
post #1843 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 06:14 AM

(Another Thought) MReedELP, that clear QAM you are using to receive the basic local cable channels without renting a box is rapidly disappearing in other cities as is any analog cable. It has been gone for some time both in the Los Angeles and Phoenix areas. Even here, Time Warner does not offer the option to get cable without any box for new subscribers. They do offer a "free" box which only outputs an SD channel 3. I was surprised that the day after I cancelled cable TV they sent a technician out to climb the pole and put a trap on the line so I could not steal the old analog channels 2 through 99 ( I would not bother) as I still have the internet service from them. That is a great incentive for cable companies to get rid of all analog and clear QAM so internet only customers can not get anything else out of the cable and no traps are needed.
post #1844 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 10:07 AM

I watched the CW on basic cable digital channel 7-2, not analog channel 13. My TV reported it as 1080i 16:9 while reporting the OTA signal as 480i 16:9 (was 4:3 until recently). Now it reports it as 480i 16:9 on both.

I'm sure when COMCAST takes over we will see a big change. They encrypt everything.

Stations can broadcast in 1080i 16:9 (or even 720p 16:9) on multiple sub-channels if they shell out the money for the equipment. Most stations don't because they aren't making enough profits to do so (or say they aren't). KVIA and KFOX refuse to upgrade to 1080i. KFOX and KDBC are now owned by the same company and work out of the same building now, but they apparently brought the KDBC equipment which broadcasts in 1080i over from the old building. You would hope that they both had the same equipment.
But no.

TWC ROADRUNNER

Last edited by mreedelp; 11-14-2014 at 10:17 AM.
post #1845 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Why would KFOX or KVIA transmit in 1080i when the FOX and ABC network feeds are provided in 720p?

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1846 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Didn't know that. Then ABC and FOX should upgrade!

TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1847 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Why would KFOX or KVIA transmit in 1080i when the FOX and ABC network feeds are provided in 720p?

- Trip
A lot of debate over which is better, 720P or 1080I but your HD TV will upgrade or downgrade to what you have it set to display. I have mine set to 1080I, never could see any difference, and figured it was better to have it upgrade 2 networks to 1080 than downgrade 3. Why ABC and FOX picked 720P I don't know.

post #1848 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Since the World Cup TV Azteca Channel 11 stopped showing 11-2 in HD, now it's 480I. Televisa Channel 32 has had double HD since June. Both channels are using 9mbps, and the weird thing is that they actually look good even when they show soccer games. I heard that the reason the channel looks good is, because they use mpg4 compression.
post #1849 of 1853 Old 11-14-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube799 View Post
Since the World Cup TV Azteca Channel 11 stopped showing 11-2 in HD, now it's 480I. Televisa Channel 32 has had double HD since June. Both channels are using 9mbps, and the weird thing is that they actually look good even when they show soccer games. I heard that the reason the channel looks good is, because they use mpg4 compression.
MPEG-4 compression is the answer. Televisa Network (XHJCI) is using MPEG-4 encoders for DTV OTA 32.1 & 32.2. to allow the same HD video signals under the same frequency. The .2 channel is dedicated for local commercials and TWC is getting the .2 channel OTA for cable distribution. When a PPV sports airs on 32.1 they can block 32.2 for TWC this is part of the service agreements.

ABC & FOX Network requirements for local TV affiliates opt for 720p because is better on fast motion like sports events, at least this format was implemented in the late 90's to run sports events at 60fps under MPEG-2 compression.

CBS & NBC choose 1080i standard at 30fps for MPEG-2 compression. At the end it's all about the same mathematical values for 720p and 1080i standards. All this was implementing in the 90's when DTV's lack better technology that now we have with advance video processing DTV's and frame rate doesn't matter too much.

Upconvert from 720p to 1080i don't exist.
Downconvert from 1080i to 720p don't exist.
The right terminology is "crossconvert" because we are cross-converting signals.
post #1850 of 1853 Old 11-17-2014, 10:06 AM

KDBC seems to be screwing up a bit. Early Sunday morning they showed the same episode of Today's Homeowner for the third week in a row. Just now in the time slot for The Price Is Right they started showing The Young and The Restless. Then after about 20 seconds switched to The Price Is Right.

TWC ROADRUNNER
post #1851 of 1853 Old 11-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
KDBC seems to be screwing up a bit. Early Sunday morning they showed the same episode of Today's Homeowner for the third week in a row. Just now in the time slot for The Price Is Right they started showing The Young and The Restless. Then after about 20 seconds switched to The Price Is Right.
Missed that flub, but I know KDBC is having some audio problems at times in the beginning of some prime time shows. It clears up in a minute or so.

KFOX, which owns KDBC, via Sinclair broadcasting, and they are both in the same building continues to have HD problems especially on Sunday football games. Falling out of HD and 5.1 Dolby sound. This happens oTA and on Dish satellite.

KVIA continues to have audio hicups and had major outage with direct tv for quite awhile. I guess they got that fixed. Now I can email them again about the audio hic up although it was much worse and they said they were waiting on a part.

KTSM has a PSIP guide data problem. They are about 10 minutes slow. I have a HD OTA recorder and it get its guide information and time via PSIP. I have to add 2 minutes to the start of every program. I have emailed the engineer and the station, through their web site contact us link twice since last week with no response. The PSIP guide info is FCC required to be with in a few seconds and full description of the shows and ratings. The guides are accurate on Dish but that comes from TVGUIDE.

Every major network in this town has gone to hell. They keep getting sold and bought and nobody cares about the viewers only self promoting about how great their Tabloid style news and weather is.

Last edited by FRANK43; 11-17-2014 at 02:10 PM.
post #1852 of 1853 Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 PM

The CW on channel 7-2 digital basic cable is back to 1080i 16:9. I may not be dropping it next month after all.

TWC ROADRUNNER
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page