El Paso, TX - HDTV - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1951 of 1974 Old 08-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by supes1978 View Post
Anyone know why The CW is not in hd OTA? I tried running channel scans on different TVs still only getting 480i.
KVIA is carrying CW as a sub channel. Only the 7-1 channel can be in HD because of bandwidth limitations.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1974 Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. Any ideas why I cannot get KTSM 9 to come in OTA when I can get all other local El Paso stations and KOB as well? I live in Las Cruces near the Sonoma Ranch area. I know signal can be a little spotty over on this side of town. I had tested the antenna I have on my rooftop but will probably readjust it to another location. Looking at signal maps from tvfool.com it looks like KVIA is one of the weaker towers and I can pick up that channel fine. KTSM is literally right next to that tower. Could it be my tuner? I am testing my picture on a smaller Samsung HD TV. Any help would be great.
post #1953 of 1974 Old 08-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's amazing what repositioning can do. I put the antenna on a higher part of the roof and I am getting all channels including a couple more Albuquerque stations from the north. Those have to be coming in from translators. Either way looks like all is well now.
post #1954 of 1974 Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What's wrong with KVIA 7-3, for about 4 days they haven't shown the L Bar that has the temperature and wind speeds and other stuff like that.
post #1955 of 1974 Old 08-25-2015, 07:29 PM

Dish -VS- Local OTA Channels

DishNetwork blackout two big networks here in El Paso. Looks like I will miss recording my local CBS/Fox programming and national shows for a while until "both parties" agree into a deal.

I did noticed both stations are OTA and cable.

Who to blame? When each side has their own story...
post #1956 of 1974 Old 10-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Saw a promo on KVIA Sunday morning that the station will be off the air OTA, Dish and Comcast on October 6th and 7th from 7am to 7pm for FCC required antenna maintenance. Never hear of such a thing for any other station in town. Have to send an email to Elias to see if this is part of the "new equipment" he said they were putting in in the 3rd quarter of 2015.

I didn't get the original e mail; we had to reduce power the first week of May due to workers on the tower, this might explain the break up. We did notice the drift with the PSIP guide, we are inquiring with the manufacturer. We are upgrading it in third quarter 2015, I hope that the upgrade helps resolve the drift.

post #1957 of 1974 Old 10-05-2015, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I saw the same promo you did. But this morning on GMEP they said the work would be done today and tomorrow (Monday and Tuesday). Guess we'll just have to wait and see and be prepared. I just hope they get the signal going BEFORE the prime time shows begin.

EDIT: Okay, GMEP just revised what they were saying to match the promo that has been airing. OTA downtime will be Tuesday and Wednesday.

Last edited by mreedelp; 10-05-2015 at 06:35 AM.
post #1958 of 1974 Old 10-05-2015, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreedelp View Post
I saw the same promo you did. But this morning on GMEP they said the work would be done today and tomorrow (Monday and Tuesday). Guess we'll just have to wait and see and be prepared. I just hope they get the signal going BEFORE the prime time shows begin.

EDIT: Okay, GMEP just revised what they were saying to match the promo that has been airing. OTA downtime will be Tuesday and Wednesday.
Saw it also this morning, thought it said Tuesday and Wednesday and it also included att uverse. Also said FAA, which is what i thought the first time.

post #1959 of 1974 Old 10-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANK43 View Post
Saw it also this morning, thought it said Tuesday and Wednesday and it also included att uverse. Also said FAA, which is what i thought the first time.
http://www.kvia.com/news/work-on-abc...-week/35661704

post #1960 of 1974 Old 10-08-2015, 08:30 AM

Just caught the very tail end of a promo by KTSM (channel 9) about them having outages for tower maintenance. Sounded like it would be next week, but I didn't catch the dates. I can't find anything on their website about it. Hopefully, they will show the promo more than once or twice a day. Problem is, I only watch KTSM in the morning (Today show) so I might not see it again. I record the primetime shows and then watch them during the summer. So if they air the promo during the evening I'm not going to see it unless I fast forward thru a couple of the shows and only watch the commercials.

Last edited by mreedelp; 10-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.
post #1961 of 1974 Old 10-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just caught the very tale end of a promo by KTSM (channel 9) about them having outages for tower maintenance. Sounded like it would be next week, but I didn't catch the dates. I can't find anything on their website about it. Hopefully, they will show the promo more than once or twice a day. Problem is, I only watch KTSM in the morning (Today show) so I might not see it again. I record the primetime shows and then watch them during the summer. So if they air the promo during the evening I'm not going to see it unless I fast forward thru a couple of the shows and only watch the commercials.
I'll keep a look out for an announcement. seems odd KVIA and KTSM would both be doing maintenance that take them off air for 2 days and now at the same time.

post #1962 of 1974 Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

I read this a couple weeks ago. HUM a coincidence?

http://www.kvia.com/news/static-in-r...tower/35492404

I've been having audio hiccups on KVIA for a couple of years and PSIP program schedule for at least a year. got this back from Elias the other day.

Hello Frank, Please remind me of the PSIP time next week, I thought we had corrected that. I am out of the studios part of this week, but will get back to you next week. Thank you, Elias

post #1963 of 1974 Old 10-08-2015, 08:19 PM

I kept watch on KTSM using picture-in-picture (PIP) on my TV all day. I even recorded the 5:00 to 6:00 newscasts and nothing. Finally, I started watching a movie on my HTPC and had PIP for the 6:00 newscast (not recording) and saw the promo. It lasted 10-15 seconds, not long enough for me to switch over and hear the sound. The downtime will be during daylight hours (the graphics did not say what hours, or, at least I could not see them in the small PIP) on the 13th and 14th--the same as KVIA.
post #1964 of 1974 Old 10-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yesterday I saw an Ad on KTDO 48, saying that they were going to be off the air on October 13, and 14 for transmitter maintenance. They said that only the digital channel was going to be affected, the analog channel was still going to work.
post #1965 of 1974 Old 10-21-2015, 11:48 AM

Are KVIA and KTSM doing more maintenance today? Both OTA signals are down. Don't know when they went down because I was out shopping, etc., all morning. I hadn't seen anything mentioned so it is strange that both are down again and at the same time.
post #1966 of 1974 Old 10-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Are KVIA and KTSM doing more maintenance today? Both OTA signals are down. Don't know when they went down because I was out shopping, etc., all morning. I hadn't seen anything mentioned so it is strange that both are down again and at the same time.
Noticed that also, They have been off and on since the "maintenance" Never any mention of anything or apologies. They are both f ed up all the time. Took KTSM a couple days to even get some strength up. FCC should just tear them both down and start over, including moving one or the others towers.

post #1967 of 1974 Old 10-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

KDBC was off the air Sunday both OTA and DISH some time after the Tampa/Washington game on KFOX. Switched over to KDBC just to see who they were showing before the Cowboys game on KFOX.

post #1968 of 1974 Old 01-08-2016, 09:25 AM

A big hooray to KVIA. I'm not exactly sure when they did it (it happened sometime since Thanksgiving), but they removed the copyright protection that was keeping me from recording using the Philips HDD recorder (lost the ability in March 2015). They have also changed the display for channel 7-2 The CW from 4:3 to windowboxed, which allows me to change my TV display to zoom to fill up the whole 16:9 picture.

If they maintain the windowboxing on The CW, I should be able to finally rid myself of basic cable. Woo Hoo!!

Edit Monday 1/11: Well, that happiness didn't last long. I tried recording Reign on my Philips HDD connected to OTA antenna on Friday and the picture was horrible. Will have to try iZombie Tuesday on a Magnavox HDD connected to OTA antenna to see if it does any better. Otherwise, I'm stuck with basic cable using a different Magnavox HDD. Then to top things off, the copyright protection is back on this morning blocking me from using any of my Philips recorders for KVIA's channel lineup.

Edit Wednesday 1/13: I recorded iZombie last night using a Magnavox HDD connected to OTA antenna. The picture was much better than on the Philips HDD, but not quite as good as on my TV. It was good enough to record and watch though. So, I will have to wait to see if KVIA maintains the windowboxing aspect before cancelling my basic cable (at least into mid-February).

Last edited by mreedelp; 01-13-2016 at 05:27 AM.
post #1969 of 1974 Old 02-01-2016, 05:34 PM

Why can't KVIA let us know what is happening when OTA signal goes out? Can't find anything on KVIA.COM and didn't hear anything on tonight's newscast (watched on basic cable--haven't killed it yet).

The OTA signal has been up and down all day. Good thing there is nothing to record tonight (sorry Bachelor lovers).
post #1970 of 1974 Old 02-02-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why can't KVIA let us know what is happening when OTA signal goes out? Can't find anything on KVIA.COM and didn't hear anything on tonight's newscast (watched on basic cable--haven't killed it yet).

The OTA signal has been up and down all day. Good thing there is nothing to record tonight (sorry Bachelor lovers).
Because they don't care about any of the public. If you have cable or satellite you don't realize they are off unless you record a show OTA and later find out you did get it. By the way, I didn't want to watch anything on ABC last night and they are still off OTA as of 8 am .

post #1971 of 1974 Old 02-02-2016, 09:16 AM

They just put a notice on KVIA.COM at 8:39 AM today about the power outages yesterday knocking out the signal. They are waiting for El Paso Electric to go up and fix it.
post #1972 of 1974 Old 02-02-2016, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
They just put a notice on KVIA.COM at 8:39 AM today about the power outages yesterday knocking out the signal. They are waiting for El Paso Electric to go up and fix it.
Guess they don't have a back up generator. Good luck if we ever do have a real emergency and the station goes down. They learned "on Monday". What do the engineers do all day? Don't they monitor there signals? Now we will find out that the power surges knocked out equipment and we will have to wait another year for them to get it right.

post #1973 of 1974 Old 02-02-2016, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Came back on OTA about 11:20 They still have not updated theweb page and no mention on the noon news about the problem being fixed.

post #1974 of 1974 Old Today, 04:54 AM

It appears KVIA got some new equipment installed.

Have you noticed promos for CW shows are now actually watchable? They used to be so dark and in stretch-o-vision. Now they are bright and in 16:9.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception