AVS Forum banner

El Paso, TX - HDTV

215K views 2K replies 121 participants last post by  aaronR575 
#1 ·
KDBC, the CBS station just launched their hdtv signal at low power this past Monday night. Their chief engineer says the audio will be 2.0 for now though, not dd 5.1. They don't have the funds yet for a 5.1 upgrade.

#5 ·
IMO, El Paso is AWFUL for HDTV. CBS, which is the best, is frequently not boardcasting HDTV for shows that are in HDTV (Raymond, Two and Half Men) are very often sent in digtal, but standard definition. ABC's HDTV boardcasts are more often than not without audio. Fox is not even in HDTV.

The worst is NBC. The west side of El Paso can NOT recieve the NBC DT signal. Myself and others have made many calls to the local NBC station, and the comment is basicly "too bad". I will not watch the local NBC until they resolve this, and I know at least a few others on the west side that will do the same.

#6 ·
What have you tried to receive the NBC station on the west side of El Paso. I am also on the west side and I got my HD TV and Reciever last week. I have them hooked up to a Silver Sensor. I can get ABC, CBS and FOX, but not NBC or PBS. What anntena are you trying?

Also what have you tried with regards to calling/emailing NBC?

Thanks for any help.

#7 ·
El Paso is terrible when it comes to high definition. I live on the east side and use the silver sensor as well. I pick up all the channels fine except for NBC, the signal drops out every minute or so but comes right back.

When KVIA first started broadcasting in hd, I used to call and they'd fix it, but I got tired of calling every week and I don't even watch half of what's shown. The good thing though is that they answer the hotline on the weekends unlike KDBC which was extremely frustrating during football season.

KFOX used to be good about everything that was shown in 480p widescreen up until their channel went black and has stayed like that for 3+ weeks now.

#10 ·
So who is receiving NBC (KTSM) is El Paso?

Folks on the east side and west side are not having luck with a Silver Sensor-- so who is, where are you, and what is your set-up?

I am about 2 miles west of KTSM antenna on Ranger Peak, with a clear line of sight, Silver Sensor in attic.

I am considering purchasing a new antenna, but I don't want to re-rig my set-up if it is not going to make an improvement.

Thanks in advance.

#11 ·
OK, just what IS the HD situation here in ELP?

what I can tell thus far.

- I'm about 12 miles east of the Mountain, on Montana west of Joe Battle. Silver Senson indoors on a DTV Samsung 360

ABC - good signal, looks to be doing 16:9, and windowbox on the 4:3 stuff

CBS - ditto ABC, with some occasional drops

FOX - two channels there, one on 15-2 with a 4:3 SD feed, the one on 14-1 getting a nice strong signal.. for a black screen

NBC - yuk. 4:3 SD with dropouts every 20-30 seconds

PBS - ?????? Is KCOS even alive? (wish I could get Las Cruces, but not a chance it appears).

How much HD Content does ABC/CBS pass? Is FUX doing anything? NBC just showing distain for the viewers... and where or where is PBS????

#12 ·
am I all alone here in El Paso????

#13 ·
You are not alone Londo...though it seems to be a bit lonely here

I just moved here to El Paso, TX.. a week ago from Los Angeles, CA (HDTV paradise)..and I just started looking for all the HD channels out here. I am located in the Loretto area in central El Paso and I seem to get:

4:1 CBS - looks pretty good on most stuff

9:1 NBC - Has tons of dropouts even though im picking up a good signal..dont know whats wrong with channel 9? Am I alone with this problem with channel 9?

15:1 FOX - Seems to look pretty good...havent seen anything digital on there so far though.

15:2 FOX...i dont get anything on there??

7 ABC - I am not getting any signal anymore, I was picking up a signal a few days ago with my rabbit ears..but the signal seems to be gone??..which is dissapointing..because i was looking forward to seeing the Stanley Cup game yesterday in HDTV..did channel 7:1 go off the air or something?

13 PBS...i cant find any HDTV signal whatsoever.

I can also get a few spanish channels..i think 25:1 and a few others...that look pretty good.

#14 ·
A VOICE IN THE WILDERNESS!!!!!!!!!!

agree on CBS.. WHEN they pass the real HD stuff it looks good, but the don't most of the time..

ABC.. was gone for a little while but came back... today... they seem to pass the full monty for HD...

FOX I'm finding them on 14-1 and 15-1 (I think).. 15 has the SD feed, 14 is empty..

NBC... same here... good solid picture for about 30 seconds at a time.. then 'twitch'... all in glorious SD

PBS .... sounds like a Moody Blues song "I know you're out there somewhere..." but I'll be dipped if I can find it!

Yes, several spanish channels 25-1, and 52-1 (I think) very strong... 4:3 but strong...

#15 ·
lol
Its lonely out here in the wild!

Hey Londo, can you still find ABC 7:1? I cant seem to pick up their signal anymore.

Did they go off the air again?

As for FOX, for some reason I get their SD feed on 15:1 and their HD feed on 15:2 ...but nothing comes out on 15:2.

#16 ·
yeah... ABC is still there... I can't explain the KOX discrepency tho.. I get nothing on 14-1 and the SD feed on 15-1

#17 ·
Thanks Londo for your help.

I still cant seem to get ABC though..dont know why? ahh ill give it another shot tomorrow.

#18 ·
Hey guys, you're not alone! I'm just getting started with this OTA stuff, and it's clear that the small unidirectional UHF antenna that I bought according to antennaweb.org's recommendation is not going to cut it. Where do you get these silver sensor antennae locally?

#19 ·
Believe it or not.... Sears at Cielo Vista Mall has them...

#20 ·
I bought my Silver Sensor at a Circuit City...but that was in California. I dont know if they would have it at the Circuit City's here in El Paso?

#21 ·
El Paso folk... are PBS, CBS and ABC MIA for you also? (this is 7/4, 7p)

#24 ·
same here... I've still got CBS in the guide (but no signal) but PBS is gone completely .....

#25 ·
I thought I was having a problem with my equipment not getting CBS.

I live on the west side and cannot get NBC at all. I am using a Samsung 360 and a Silver Sensor. Never had any luck with NBC, but the CBS problem started this week.

What kind of antenna are you using and where are you located?

#26 ·
Samsung 360 w/Silver Sensor and on the East side (up near the WallyWorld on Joe Battle/Mottwood).

NBC is fine (if you call 4:3 fine)

ABC is (now) fine

FOX is confused (14-1 with a nice 16:9 card that says you are watching FOX Digital, 15-2 with 4:3)

CBS - mia

PBS/ELP - back in 4:3

PBS/LAC - can't get (darn it, they look like they really do HD)