Providence, RI - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4033 Old 12-03-2005, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I spoke with someone two weeks ago who is supposedly involved with FIOS at Verizon. According to him they are wiring Warwick, E. Greenwich, West Warwick and Coventry first and are almost completed with those communities. He says they are moving very fast in each of those areas. They expect the entire state to be wired by the end of 2007. The question he did not have an answer for was when they would begin video distribution over FIOS and evidently the biggest question with that is whether the PUC and communities will give them a license to do so over COX's objections.

I too am sick of COX's bull**** so ten years ago I went with DirecTV and have never looked back. OTOH, I am not happy with how slowly DirecTV is rolling out HD, and I am not happy with the prospect of putting an even bigger dish on my house. So in my mind it's a race. If FIOS shows up before DirecTV requires me to switch to MPEG4 for new programming, I will definitely switch to Verizon.

SMK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4033 Old 12-06-2005, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #723 of 4033 Old 12-13-2005, 03:33 PM

Do yourself a favor, if you are putting up a roof top antenna to finally get the games in Hi-def point your antenna to WBZ CBS Boston. WPRI on atleast a half dozen games this season has had tech issues during the game. I don't know if the engineer there was picked on by football players in school but it always seems to be during the Football games they have an encoding problem or signal issue. All issues were confirmed on the stations end by phone calls to the station when they occured. If they want cox to pay for the signal they better step up and update their gear or employee someone who knows how to maintain/operate the equipment to keep it on the air and streaming without errors.

Stop looking at the picture and watch the show!
post #724 of 4033 Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM

post #725 of 4033 Old 12-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll add that it *seems* like I get better signal for most networks from the Boston towers 40 miles away than I do from the Providence towers 10 miles away. Not sure what causes this.
post #726 of 4033 Old 12-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail View Post

I'll add that it *seems* like I get better signal for most networks from the Boston towers 40 miles away than I do from the Providence towers 10 miles away. Not sure what causes this.

How about greed, arrogance, and stupidity?
post #727 of 4033 Old 12-14-2005, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

One reason the picture is better from Boston is that they are not sending out multiple programs ("multicasting"). Remember, digital pictures are either there or they aren't. Digital artifacts don't look like snow or picture degradation. That comes from signal compression, which the locals in Providence have to do more of if they are going to send you 24 hour weather and news. Who cares about those things?

It is my understanding that Cox can't provide the Boston network feeds to Providence due to FCC regulations. It has to do with DMA and protecting locals from unfair competition. Now to me it seems that there should be some competition if they are getting free use of the airways, but that's just my opinion. Of course, if you have an antenna and are capable of getting the Boston stations, there's nothing that the Providence station can do to prevent that. I believe that the only Boston station Cox shows is WGBH, and there is some special arrangement that that allows that to happen.

SMK
post #728 of 4033 Old 12-14-2005, 10:24 AM

The cable company's are required to provide the DMA affiliates based on where you live due to federal regulations. If you live in Rhode Island the Providence/Newbedford market is going to be provided. This means the station runs on a budget that's equivalent to being in 51st place when it comes to ad dollars. This means they have to subsidize the cost of HD Broadcasting with sub-channels (AKA Band-Width eaters) that degrades the picture quality (you see hanging pixels when something moves fast across the screen) and some are trying to bill the cable company's for the signal. Now Boston would rate in 5th place when it comes to ad dollars. More money = better gear and no sub-carriers = better picture. Make sense?

It's funny because the federal DMA regulation was the large cable company's approach to putting the satellite providers out of the major network business and keeping their market share. Guess they never thought compression would advance enough to allow them to carry over 200 markets in just under 10 years.

Botton Line is we are caught between quick deregulation in the 90's and the slow process of fair competition getting into the market. I just hope that what occurred at my house on Sunday watching football on WPRI does not happen at too many other football parties because at least 3 of my buddies have postponed the High-def set until things clear up in providence.(no pun intended)

post #729 of 4033 Old 12-15-2005, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve125 View Post

The cable company's are required to provide the DMA affiliates based on where you live due to federal regulations. If you live in Rhode Island the Providence/Newbedford market is going to be provided. This means the station runs on a budget that's equivalent to being in 51st place when it comes to ad dollars. This means they have to subsidize the cost of HD Broadcasting with sub-channels..."

You got to be kidding! The Ceo's of Lin Broadcast WPRI/WNAC are in the top ten highest paid CEO's in Rhode Island.
post #730 of 4033 Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 AM

Hi Gang. I live in North Providence. I just pulled the trigger and ordered my first HDTV (panny th-42phd8uk plasma). It's being delivered next week. So now I'm starting to dig deeper into understanding all of the (or lack thereof) programming options available to me.

Currently I'm a DirecTV subscriber. I use a SD DirecTivo and am pretty happy with it...although it has its occasional issues - weather interruptions, etc. But I really like the Tivo interface and have been a Tivo user since 1st gen.

So for my HD and SD programming, should I...

- Go with DirecTV and get the HR10-250 and be happy with that and use OTA for all my local HD programming (Patriots being the most important, RedSox too)
- Go with Cox
-Try out Dish and the 942 receiver so I can have Voom also (a bonus here is there is a PPV program exclusively on Dish that we'd like to watch)

Just trying to get a feel for the general thought on HD programming in RI.
I'm aware of Verizon FIOS coming but I'm looking to make a decision now.

Any input is appreciated!

-----------------
EDIT: I think I may have just made my decision easier...is it true that NESN-HD is only available on Cox in RI?
post #731 of 4033 Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe3 View Post

You got to be kidding! The Ceo's of Lin Broadcast WPRI/WNAC are in the top ten highest paid CEO's in Rhode Island.

Please... Let me school you. As I said LOW BUDGET.

WBZ TV CBS 4 = Viacom Television Stations Group
Owns and operates 40 TV stations in the U.S.
Reach: 15 of the Top 20 TV Markets in the U.S.

Mr. Sumner M. Redstone , 81
Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer and Chairman of Special Committee Pay:$ 21.47M Exercised: $ 6.74M

Enterprise Value (15-Dec-05) 63.33 Billion

WPRI/WNAC = Twenty-three television stations including two under local marketing agreements, two low-power networks, and has investments in five others stations.

Gary R. Chapman , 61
Chairman, Chief Exec. Officer and Pres: Pay: $ 1.44M $ Exercised: 1.10M

Enterprise Value (15-Dec-05) 1.38 Billion

post #732 of 4033 Old 12-15-2005, 01:56 PM

NESN HD on Cox is not full time and any games carried on UPN 38 will be blacked out (Friday Night Games) and 38/S or HD is NOT carried by Cox RI. You'll be stuck watching NESN standard for those games. The good news is you can more than likely get 38 HD with a roof top antenna pointed NNE.

As far as Pro Football games on CBS or Fox the only option in RI is OTA. Long-Term.

Hope This Helps ........

post #733 of 4033 Old 12-15-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:

NESN HD on Cox is not full time and any games carried on UPN 38 will be blacked out (Friday Night Games) and 38/S or HD is NOT carried by Cox RI. You'll be stuck watching NESN standard for those games. The good news is you can more than likely get 38 HD with a roof top antenna pointed NNE.

As far as Pro Football games on CBS or Fox the only option in RI is OTA. Long-Term.

Hope This Helps ........

Thanks Steve. Can you explain what a part-time NESN-HD consists of? I understand that all Red Sox Home games are in HD. And from what you're saying, that statement gets rewritten to "All Red Sox Home games that don't fall on a Friday" night are in NESN-HD, correct?

Are there further limitations to NESN-HD on Cox?

Thanks a bunch!
post #734 of 4033 Old 12-15-2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisykid View Post

Thanks Steve. Can you explain what a part-time NESN-HD consists of? I understand that all Red Sox Home games are in HD. And from what you're saying, that statement gets rewritten to "All Red Sox Home games that don't fall on a Friday" night are in NESN-HD, correct?

Thanks a bunch!

No Problem. Currently the Channel is 713 on their lineup which is a network called "IN-HD2" (24-7 High Def programming). They switch that channel to NESN- HD at the start of a covered game and switch it back to IN-HD2 when its finished. So to say you get NESN-HD with COX could be misleading if you anticipate it 24-7.

I watched most Mon-Thu and some Sat and Sun Sox games in HI-Def on that channel without a problem this season. Just don't invite your buddies over on Friday night to show off that new set during baseball season. No matter your choice a roof top antenna and set with an HD-Tuner is a must. Also, be sure that you shop for a set that is cable-card compatible. The picture difference is unbelievable for both standard and
hi-def and it's only $1.49 mo to rent.

The quest for the most HD programming choices is a tricky one.

post #735 of 4033 Old 12-15-2005, 04:14 PM

Quote:

No Problem. Currently the Channel is 713 on their lineup which is a network called "IN-HD2" (24-7 High Def programming). They switch that channel to NESN- HD at the start of a covered game and switch it back to IN-HD2 when its finished. So to say you get NESN-HD with COX could be misleading if you anticipate it 24-7.

I watched most Mon-Thu and some Sat and Sun Sox games in HI-Def on that channel without a problem this season. Just don't invite your buddies over on Friday night to show off that new set during baseball season. No matter your choice a roof top antenna and set with an HD-Tuner is a must. Also, be sure that you shop for a set that is cable-card compatible. The picture difference is unbelievable for both standard and
hi-def and it's only $1.49 mo to rent.

The quest for the most HD programming choices is a tricky one.

Thanks again. I'm not going cable card as I'm going with the commercial Panasonic 42" plasma for various other reasons....PQ, styling, blade expandability, etc. Was planning to just use the cox dvr/hd box, VOD services and hdmi or component.
post #736 of 4033 Old 12-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisykid View Post

Thanks a bunch!

Ditto what steve said. All you need to know is that the NESN home games (except Fri night) all are available on the IHND2 channel and that away games in stadiums with HD set-up are often also shown in HD on the INHD2 channel. Also, I get UPN easily OTA in HD from Cranston to allow for the Friday night home games. Trust me, there's plenty of Sox to go around in the summer. Also nice to watch the Bruins and they have similar home/away arrangement on INHD2.
post #737 of 4033 Old 12-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicol View Post

))))))))

Did you have something of substance to add?
post #738 of 4033 Old 12-16-2005, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritvman View Post

Most of the equipment has arrived for CBS in 5.1, I hope to have it on the air in 3 or 4 weeks when the rest of the equipment comes in.

bill

Having Comcast, I don't use my antenna a great deal but I happened to switch over this evening and noticed WPRIDT is now broadcasting in 5.1. Apparently WPRI leaves the 5.1 on 24/7. Does anyone know when they started this? Just curious.
post #739 of 4033 Old 12-16-2005, 09:48 PM

Is the Tonight Show in HD tonight? I checked NBC.com and it is listed in HD. Is anyone else having the problem of not receiving this show in HD? I am watching the show via cable on Cox in RI (WJAR).
post #740 of 4033 Old 12-17-2005, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

It was on in HD from WHDH in Boston.

SMK
post #741 of 4033 Old 12-17-2005, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb478 View Post

Is the Tonight Show in HD tonight? I checked NBC.com and it is listed in HD. Is anyone else having the problem of not receiving this show in HD? I am watching the show via cable on Cox in RI (WJAR).

It's in HD when viewed OTA - I have a Dish Network 921 w/OTA tuner. Make sure you are viewing the HD version of WJAR on Cox.
post #742 of 4033 Old 12-17-2005, 12:33 PM

Who do you all recommend for a local RI company that sells and installs outdoor rooftop antennas? I'm not interested in climbing my 70 deg pitch roof.
post #743 of 4033 Old 12-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesb478 View Post

I've always seen it in HD on both Cox channel 700 and OTA channel 10-1. Alternatively, with a decent antenna you can pick up 7-1 from the Boston market.
post #744 of 4033 Old 12-22-2005, 05:20 AM

Anyone else in the North Providence vicinity? I'm wondering if a directional antenna is needed or not. Needham and Rehoboth are kind of in seperate directions from here.
post #745 of 4033 Old 12-22-2005, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Noiseykid,

I have a Radio Shack antenna lying on the rafters in my attic. It is pointing just east of the Needham towers. I get all of them perfectly and all the RI stations perfectly with no rotor, etc. I am not sure you need to go putting an antenna up on the roof if you have access to your attic. With a 70 degree pitch you should have plenty or room to put an antenna in there. Then, of course, you need a way to run the cable to the rooms you want to use TVs in.

SMK
post #746 of 4033 Old 12-24-2005, 10:22 AM

I just did a channel scan on my FusionHDTV Card and now Im picking up a new HDTV Channel which is WCVB (Boston ABC HDTV). Picking it up as D51 on the tuner. Is anyone else picking up this channel? I live in Foster, RI and have Cox Digital Cable (Cranston Digital).
post #747 of 4033 Old 12-24-2005, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a Fusion card and it will often give the wrong label to a channel. Channel 51 is WJAR and WCVB is on channel 20. You might have to watch it to see what it it really is.
My card acts strangely on on channel 13 WPRI. It gets no signal if the card is set to the antenna mode, but comes in fine if I change to cable mode. I assume this is a bug in the software, does your card react the same? John
post #748 of 4033 Old 12-24-2005, 07:24 PM

No, its not the label, I know its WCVB (ABC from Boston). I confirmed it when I saw them do the station logo. I dont know why they are providing ABC from Boston. I switched from the ABC from Boston to the Prov one and the Prov one isnt supplying the HD feed for some of the shows, so that might be a reason.
post #749 of 4033 Old 12-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

WCVB DT is ABC for the Boston market recognized as 5.1 OTA. WLNE DT is ABC for the Providence market recognized as 6.1 OTA. Both are easily picked up from many locations around the state of RI. I get both in Cranston.
post #750 of 4033 Old 12-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page