AVS Forum banner

Fort Wayne, IN - HDTV

522K views 4K replies 219 participants last post by  KyL416 
#1 ·
As of today June, 11 Ft,Wayne has Digital 36 Fox . The omni directional antenna is mounted 200 feet off the ground with 100 watts running to the antenna. I am located 8 miles from the tower and only once did the signal lock on for 3 minutes. NBC digital 19 is on and the panel antenna is side mounted to the tower at 400 feet above ground level with 500 watts running to the antenna. I can lock on to this signal and do see some break ups every few minutes. Pbs digital 40-1 40-2 is on and thier new antenna is mounted at the top of 700 ft tower. HDTV is only on 40-1 PBS. TBN digital 12 is located 26 miles North East of here and is viewable. Of course a Highband VHF antenna is aimed only at this station. I was told by the Chief Engr. at WISE TV digital 19 that a new rulling is coming down that to have a total digital tv market and analog shut off forever, Eighty percent of the market must have digital receivers. hOW IN THE hell ARE THESE idiots GOING TO KEEP A COUNT? Analog tv is here for quite sometime and this area for Digital conversion is making me sick.

#3,377 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburnz /forum/post/16091321

What were the other options before the stacked 8 bays

1. A 4 bay multidirectional with no amp(weak signal)

2. A 4 bay multidirectional with amp(better but still had pixalating)

3. A medium directional with amp(was a pain to get it aimed right, but still weak signal)

4. An omnidirectional antenna(the round one, not enough signal strength)

I decided against a rotor because at the time WFWA was the only station from Fort Wayne broadcasting (and then it was a continous loop) and I didn't want to continually move back and forth from South Bend and Fort Wayne, which I do now. I have both antenna's combined into one feed and then amplified thru the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburnz /forum/post/16091321

The super G needs Gorrilla Glue applied to the element insulators and secured to stop "element droop"

I don't remember having to use any glue on my Channel Master 4228 (LOL)

diehard

#3,378 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitesteve /forum/post/16091708

Can someone tell me why PBS 39 sometimes runs there primetime shows in what looks like the picture frame format? We record the Saturday morning woodworking shows to watch back later. I thought that the reason was mentioned awhile back was because they were trying to keep the analog feed viewers happy but those days are gone now. If we go to the channel 49 PBS feeds the same programs are broadcast in true HD wide screen.

This has been annoying me too! Due to the lack of HD about the only thing on PBS39 we watch is kids programming for my son and he doesn't care. It's still really annoying though, and I can't think of any reason for it to be that way.

I seem to recall first noticing it when the they were running the crawls about the digital switch. I just assumed the picture was shrunk to make room for the crawl. Now that analog (and the crawl) are gone I have no idea why the picture is still shrunk.

Martian21

#3,380 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburnz /forum/post/16067836

have your local "antenna guy" install a Super G it should cure your ills

I saw "the guy" today and he says it is indeed the Super G. So I guess there's not much I'm going to be able to do to improve reception from South Bend. Like I stated before, the problem child is WSJV and until they go to full-power DT on 28 in June, I'm just going to have to deal with the hit and miss reception.

I can't think of anything else I can do without throwing a boatload of money at this (which I can't afford to do) right now, but I'm still open to any suggestions.

#3,381 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by satellitesteve /forum/post/16091708

Can someone tell me why PBS 39 sometimes runs there primetime shows in what looks like the picture frame format? We record the Saturday morning woodworking shows to watch back later. I thought that the reason was mentioned awhile back was because they were trying to keep the analog feed viewers happy but those days are gone now. If we go to the channel 49 PBS feeds the same programs are broadcast in true HD wide screen.

Thanks, Steve

I brought this issue up in here back in February when it first began. PBS changed their satellite distribution, so that it is all hi-def. Since WFWA is not broadcasting HD now, all programming from that feed has the goofy look for SD shows. pbsmatt commented about it back on page 108 if you want to take a peek.

#3,382 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburnz /forum/post/16097305

and I don't recall supporting my antennas w/an I-beam

Nope, nothing that elaborate. I have both mounted on a Radio Shack 10' mast with an eave mount. No guy wires or any other bracing. Been that way for 16 years and both channel masters for the last 6 years.

Also the CM4228 is now obsolete and has been replaced with CM4228HD. I think they made the antenna in pieces to save shipping and added HD to the end so they can charge another $15.

Heres a good link comparing the different antenna's using independent data:

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/comparing.html

diehard

#3,383 ·
I have been installing Televes xg-43's. I have tested and posted signal levels on many antennas. The televes Dat-75 is one of the finest aerials around. search for info on it. Also the xg-43 is installed on St.rd. 101 just south of Antwerp Rd. It is mounted on the garage roof to avoid trees on a five foot tripod and a ten foot mast. No pre-amp and a C.M. u/v combiner with a high band Winegard aimed at Edgerton,On. for D.T.12 Fox on Dt-36 is a solid go all the time even at low power and 200 feet above terrain.

#3,385 ·
Hi there! I'm a new member, but not new to the forum. I have checked here often over the last couple of years to get the scoop on local OTA digital broadcasts. You've all been very informative and entertaining. Thanks for that.

Does anyone know of a professional company in the Angola/Auburn/Fort Wayne area who installs antennas and will run coax in residences? A company that you trust, with experience, who knows what they're doing? I didn't want to just pull names from the phone book, without knowing anything about them.

The husband and I are sort of flailing around in the dark when it comes to antennas, and preamps, etc. It seems like everything I've done so far is WRONG, and ends up in me wasting stupid amounts of time and money on "solutions" that don't work for us.

My home is located in the middle of downtown Auburn. There are other tall homes and very large, mature trees surrounding and dwarfing our home. We have a small directional UHF antenna (the kind antennasweb directed us to buy) in our garage attic. The antenna is the flat, wedge-shaped type that can be mounted outside as well as inside, which came with a tiny preamp. We sometimes can get up to 80% signal on most channels, only 40% on PBS, and nothing when it comes to FOX. Zippity, zilch. And from what I hear on this forum, I have no hope of ever getting FOX in my home again.

Can anyone help me with advice on my situation, or a referral? I just want to be able to turn on the &*$%# television every once in a while, without there being angst involved!

#3,386 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscmarci /forum/post/16129807

Can anyone help me with advice on my situation, or a referral? I just want to be able to turn on the &*$%# television every once in a while, without there being angst involved!

Welcome!

I feel your pain about the situation with WFFT-DT. They are truly a disgrace. I would love to see them lose their license over this mess, but I suppose as long as they're running a full-power analog, they're safe. Still though, I think they're an embarassment to the Fort Wayne broadcasting community.

If you want the number of a good, reliable antenna guy in your area, PM me and I'll send it to you. He's been in business down there for a long time and does good work.

#3,387 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard_1955 /forum/post/16111028

Also the CM4228 is now obsolete and has been replaced with CM4228HD. I think they made the antenna in pieces to save shipping and added HD to the end so they can charge another $15.

Heres a good link comparing the different antenna's using independent data:

diehard

I have both the CM4228 and Winegard 9032 mounted indepently at a hight of 50 feet AGL. The Winegard 9032 outperforms the Channel Master on every channel by at least 20%. The good thing about the 4228 is that it has the ability to pick up high band VHF. If you don't need to pick up high band VHF, I would definately choose the Winegard.

#3,388 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburnz /forum/post/16126507

I would be interested in seeing your test results,methods of measuring,antennas etc sound kinda fun!!

If you look at the gains for these antennas you will find the Televes Dat-75 listed under "D"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.freon /forum/post/16132487

I have both the CM4228 and Winegard 9032 mounted indepently at a hight of 50 feet AGL. The Winegard 9032 outperforms the Channel Master on every channel by at least 20%. The good thing about the 4228 is that it has the ability to pick up high band VHF. If you don't need to pick up high band VHF, I would definitely choose the Winegard.

Not that I'm a salesman for Channel Master, but if you look at the net gains from CM4228 and the Winegard 9032("N") the CM4228 has better gain overall. One thing too is both the Winegard and Televes antenna's are highly directional which high gain antennas like these one are big, hard to aim, and hard to keep up in bad weather. Also the CM4228 has better gain than the Televes Dat-75 (I like the orange look, tho).

I think once you get up into these higher performing antennas the gains comes into play mainly in your higher fringe areas which is where I'm at. Remember I started when the signals were pretty low, so I needed something with a higher gain.

diehard

#3,389 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehard_1955 /forum/post/16134857

If you look at the gains for these antennas you will find the Televes Dat-75 listed under "D"

Not that I'm a salesman for Channel Master, but if you look at the net gains from CM4228 and the Winegard 9032("N") the CM4228 has better gain overall. One thing too is both the Winegard and Televes antenna's are highly directional which high gain antennas like these one are big, hard to aim, and hard to keep up in bad weather. Also the CM4228 has better gain than the Televes Dat-75 (I like the orange look, tho).

diehard

The Winegard is very directional, I should have mentioned that. However, it consistantly picks up stations over 60 miles away when the Channel Master seems seems to work better for stations closer than 60 miles. I currently have the Winegard pointed at Dayton (65 miles away) and the Channel Master at Ft. Wayne (45 miles away) and things work perfectly. Each antenna has separate coax and pre amp. The antennas are separated by a remote control A/B switch at the television. I never adjust the rotor to switch between Dayton & Ft. Wayne, just press a button on my remote controll.

#3,390 ·
I enjoy this antenna talk!! The Winegard long corner reflector should exhibit less over gain,but the narrow beam width should help with longer haul stuff i.e. the added directors in front of the "bowtie",also the Winegard should have less trouble with "ground noise" .But the 8 bay Channel Master wins in gain nothing beats antenna "capture area" and active elements.These ideas being tossed around is great keep up the good work!!

#3,391 ·

Quote:

Hi there! I'm a new member, but not new to the forum. I have checked here often over the last couple of years to get the scoop on local OTA digital broadcasts. You've all been very informative and entertaining. Thanks for that.

Does anyone know of a professional company in the Angola/Auburn/Fort Wayne area who installs antennas and will run coax in residences? A company that you trust, with experience, who knows what they're doing? I didn't want to just pull names from the phone book, without knowing anything about them.

The husband and I are sort of flailing around in the dark when it comes to antennas, and preamps, etc. It seems like everything I've done so far is WRONG, and ends up in me wasting stupid amounts of time and money on "solutions" that don't work for us.

My home is located in the middle of downtown Auburn. There are other tall homes and very large, mature trees surrounding and dwarfing our home. We have a small directional UHF antenna (the kind antennasweb directed us to buy) in our garage attic. The antenna is the flat, wedge-shaped type that can be mounted outside as well as inside, which came with a tiny preamp. We sometimes can get up to 80% signal on most channels, only 40% on PBS, and nothing when it comes to FOX. Zippity, zilch. And from what I hear on this forum, I have no hope of ever getting FOX in my home again.

When you state PBS is only 40 % meaning signal strength?? if so and your not getting any pixels in your picture then I would just live with it.WFFT how sad, how very sad,I assume with good weather the tower crew will get started making the antenna change .

#3,393 ·

Quote:

I live in Auburn and have installed several antennas. At my parents house on the north east side of town, I installed an CM4228 and a CM7775 pre-amp and it works pretty good. Lately, however, it seems they have trouble with WANE. They live in a really wooded area. I'm hoping that when WANE goes full power, they will stop having issues.

At my house on the north end, I basically installed the same setup, CM4228 with CM7775 pre-amp. I get all stations fine (except for WFFT). On occasion, if the weather is just right, I'll pick up a weak WFFT.

At a friends house that is south of downtown, I installed a CM4224. He was on a budget, and so the reason for the smaller antenna. I think I also used a Radio Shack preamp of some sort. That one worked ok. He switched to cable, and hasn't used it in a few years. But back when he did use it, the stations were not as powerful as they are now, so I can't really provide any meaningful reception data for that one.

My grandma lives on the south west side of town and has the cheap radio shack yagi for UHF only, with no preamp. I just recently installed a DTV box for her, and she seems to get all the stations (except for fox) perfect, even WINM, which all of use with the CM422x antennas do not get (because the transmitter is behind our antennas).

In all cases, I used RG6 Quad shield wire for the long runs.

Hope this info helps.

Ryan

#3,394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by guisertj /forum/post/16050430

Any new updates on WFFT broadcasting at full strength?

Yeah, just an update on that... I sent an e-mail to the address listed on their website for such inquiries. I kept it pretty short and sweet and still have had no reply in over a week. Perhaps the e-mail link should be removed if they're not going to reply.

#3,396 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfburnz /forum/post/16141966

WFFT how sad, how very sad,I assume with good weather the tower crew will get started making the antenna change .

Somehow I don't beleive that the weather is the reason for the delay.
I'm happy to say that WSJV has been looking excellent all weekend. Things will only get better when that station moves to it's post-transition channel and higher power which is supposed to happen in June, just a matter of weeks away.

#3,399 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylooker /forum/post/16157063

I've never seen 21.2 in HD. That would be cool. You might try 25.1 (27) out of South Bend, if you can get that from where you are.

I've not ever seen 21.2 in HD either but also agree it would be very cool. I would think that two 720p feeds would be possible. Would probably have to drop 21.3 but I (personally) don't see that as a loss (I edit 21.3 and 33.3 out of my channel lineup anyway) - Quality over quantity!

#3,400 ·
WPTA uses the CW+ network feed. Because the CW+ service was designed for analog cable and digital subchannels, HD is not available to them. I've heard late 2010 as a possible start date for HD on CW+, and that was "at the earliest."

- Trip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.