Fort Wayne, IN - HDTV - Page 142 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #4231 of 4239 Old 11-04-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
no
Quincy will own WISE 33 and will have NBC on the -1, My on the -2 and ABC on the -3 (assume they will do it this way)
Sagamore Hill will own WPTA 21 and will have CW+ on 21-1
Granite is out of the picture

They will be run as 2 separate stations by 2 separate companies

Why are they doing it? simple (IMO). The CW in Ft Wayne and Duluth, MN are just CW+. Its completely programmed 24/7 and is for smaller markets. Sagamore usually lets someone else run their stations. So by having only the CW+ on the stations they need minimal employees to run that station.

It is possible they may add a subchannel to WPTA after this is all done.

So 3 HD stations on one physical channel?

Seems like they'd lose out on public awareness of ABC by moving it.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4232 of 4239 Old 11-04-2015, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
So 3 HD stations on one physical channel?
I doubt they will do that. I can see them putting MY to 480i widescreen

Quote:
Seems like they'd lose out on public awareness of ABC by moving it.
They have 9 months to do all of this per the FCC approval. SO there is still time
This will only affect OTA folks with the channel changes. Cable & Satellite will see no changes (except maybe CW in HD)
post #4233 of 4239 Old 11-04-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

But why move the channels around at all, especially if it doesn't matter if the owner of the tower/transmitter is the same as the operator of the station?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #4234 of 4239 Old 11-04-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
no
Quincy will own WISE 33 and will have NBC on the -1, My on the -2 and ABC on the -3 (assume they will do it this way)
Sagamore Hill will own WPTA 21 and will have CW+ on 21-1
Granite is out of the picture
No, it's the other way around. From TVNewsTalk:

Quote:
In Fort Wayne, Quincy is proposing to move the NBC & MyNetworkTV streams from WISE to WPTA (ABC will stay as the main channel). The CW stream would move from WPTA to WISE.

In Duluth, Quincy is proposing to move its CBS stream from KDLH to KBJR. KDLH would keep the CW.
http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.p...12#post-137514

This is how it would look come August:
WPTA (Quincy): 21.1 ABC (720p HD), 21.2 NBC (720p HD), 21.3 MNT (480i SD)
WISE (SagamoreHill): 33.1 CW+ (1080i HD)

BTW, I think Quincy and SagamoreHill should do a similar setup in Rochester MN with KTTC and KXLT.
KTTC (Quincy): 10.1 NBC (1080i HD), 10.2 FOX (720p HD), 10.3 H&I (480i SD)
KXLT (SagamoreHill): 47.1 CW+ (720p HD), 47.2 MeTV (480i SD)

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #4235 of 4239 Old 11-04-2015, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvcg66b3r View Post
No, it's the other way around. From TVNewsTalk:

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.p...12#post-137514

This is how it would look come August:
WPTA (Quincy): 21.1 ABC (720p HD), 21.2 NBC (720p HD), 21.3 MNT (480i SD)
WISE (SagamoreHill): 33.1 CW+ (1080i HD)

How is that situation any different than now? There's one company that has both ABC and NBC? But now, it's even more confusing since they're all on one channel.

post #4236 of 4239 Old 11-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
But why move the channels around at all, especially if it doesn't matter if the owner of the tower/transmitter is the same as the operator of the station?
to please the FCC, thats why.
The FCC says you can't own more than one of the Big 4 stations (key word there....stations) in a small market. ANd by the end of next year you can't "own one and run one" as what happens now. So Quincy has to sell one station. So that is why more and more markets are doing 2 of the Big 4 on one RF station. There is no FCC law that says you can't do that. You could also get a low powered station and run a big 4 net on it (LP stations are exempt from the rule). That is why Gray broadcasting has been doing that in some areas.

The only thing is that NBC and My (my mistake from earlier...thought I read it a different way) will move to subs on ABC and the CW (which is currently on ABC sub) will move to where the NBC was (WISE 33). If you have cable or satellite you wont even know what happened. The only folks who have to do anything different is folks who get TV OTA.

Again the FCC is forcing things like that. Both stations have to be run separately by 2 separate companies. No more sharing. So instead of shutting down NBC and turning in the license (which Quincy could have done) they bought up everything (ABC, NBC, CW, MY) then sold CW programming to Sagamore HIll who will run WISE with minimal staff (which has been done in a few spots elsewhere...most notably Helena Montana). The tower is a moot point and companies share towers (they do in Minneapolis).
post #4237 of 4239 Old 11-04-2015, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
to please the FCC, thats why.
The FCC says you can't own more than one of the Big 4 stations (key word there....stations) in a small market. ANd by the end of next year you can't "own one and run one" as what happens now. So Quincy has to sell one station. So that is why more and more markets are doing 2 of the Big 4 on one RF station. There is no FCC law that says you can't do that. You could also get a low powered station and run a big 4 net on it (LP stations are exempt from the rule). That is why Gray broadcasting has been doing that in some areas.

The only thing is that NBC and My (my mistake from earlier...thought I read it a different way) will move to subs on ABC and the CW (which is currently on ABC sub) will move to where the NBC was (WISE 33). If you have cable or satellite you wont even know what happened. The only folks who have to do anything different is folks who get TV OTA.

Again the FCC is forcing things like that. Both stations have to be run separately by 2 separate companies. No more sharing. So instead of shutting down NBC and turning in the license (which Quincy could have done) they bought up everything (ABC, NBC, CW, MY) then sold CW programming to Sagamore HIll who will run WISE with minimal staff (which has been done in a few spots elsewhere...most notably Helena Montana). The tower is a moot point and companies share towers (they do in Minneapolis).
Thanks FCC!

I mean srsly.... they couldn't see that loophole coming a mile away? What more of a mess will it cause when they close it?

post #4238 of 4239 Old 01-18-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks FCC!

I mean srsly.... they couldn't see that loophole coming a mile away? What more of a mess will it cause when they close it?
Yes Sharing the same tower is common in many places. But you must understand 21 and 33 use the same waveguide and the same antenna stick at the top of the tower. it is a dual purpose antenna. Look at the towers in Dallas Texas and it is one massive mast with individual transmitting antennas. The towers where they are located now do not serve the growing market currently. The perfect place for a tall single multi mast is just a few miles west of Huntertown. Where the F.M. tower is located,. 1000 feet or better. This would serve the northern Angola lake counties much better. People are paying tons of money to erect 50 and 64 foot towers to receive television.
post #4239 of 4239 Old 01-30-2016, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question New Channel in Ft.Wayne

A new one was listed carring Grit-tvb, laff-tv and Escape tv. Channel number is 29 and transmitter is located in rural New haven at 325 feet. It is not listed as a wishful Application or construction permit. When will it start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception