Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4216 Old 08-19-2004, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

we can all watch the promo's about how they are the leaders in HD in Fort Wayne.

LOL I know that it would be a lot, but its a one time investment, and you'd think with them being the only one's without HD (not counting fox) that they would feel the pressure. I know the return might not be there, but they should realize that the more people that get HD, it will be a good investment. Maybe they could have HHGregg sponsor their HD and have thier commercial on the HD channel to promote HD. Seems like they could sell an extra tv spot or two to help cover the cost.

If they do bring back thier "Leader in HD" adds, that would be false advertising.

Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4216 Old 08-19-2004, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If WISE doesn't want to get an HD delay server they can just give me a waiver and I'll take the HD feed from D*. WFFT could do the same for me as well. Since it's not a priority to the guys in charge it shouldn't be that big a loss for me to start watching N.Y. and L.A. feeds.

Unfortunately the reality is that most people can't receive the digital signal, but our numbers are growing by the day. We can all hope that everyone has an HD set at the top of their Christmas list and we can get a big boost in our numbers.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #453 of 4216 Old 08-20-2004, 06:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by vereekej
Unfortunately the reality is that most people can't receive the digital signal, but our numbers are growing by the day. We can all hope that everyone has an HD set at the top of their Christmas list and we can get a big boost in our numbers.

Hence the quandry in the digital realm! Its is awfully hard to get more people to get an HD setup if they can't get the signal. That whole issue is compounded by the fact we live in a state that doesn't follow the NY time zone feeds in summer, meaning more of an investment.

Its easy to say raise the power. We are working on that for WANE in the very near future. But it takes a lot of time and a lot of money.

Stay tuned!
post #454 of 4216 Old 08-20-2004, 10:41 AM

vereekej, check your PM...
post #455 of 4216 Old 08-20-2004, 02:54 PM

Thanks Matt

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #456 of 4216 Old 08-27-2004, 05:53 AM

Heres hoping early that WPTA will carry the NFL opening game on Thurs Sept. 9th in HD. Colts vs. Patriots, should be a good game.

post #457 of 4216 Old 08-27-2004, 10:32 AM

Is anyone getting Comcast through their TV's built-in QAM tuner? I tried it the other night and I was able to get ESPN-HD with out the comcast box, but I could find any of the local channels or INHD 1&2. I've heard it's possible, but I don't know the channel numbers
post #458 of 4216 Old 08-27-2004, 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by DialItUp
Is anyone getting Comcast through their TV's built-in QAM tuner? I tried it the other night and I was able to get ESPN-HD with out the comcast box, but I could find any of the local channels or INHD 1&2. I've heard it's possible, but I don't know the channel numbers

Can you please explain.
post #459 of 4216 Old 08-30-2004, 01:29 PM

Well, as I undestand it, the cable comes across the coax line in a coded "format" called QAM. The cable boxes are designed to recognize this code and they turn the picture into something your TV can recognize. Newer many o fthe newest HD TVs come with this tuner built-in allowing you to watch digital cable programs without the use of a box. An even newer technology has surfaced as well, with "cable card" TVs, where you get a card from your cable company and instert it into the slot on your TV and you can receive premium channels without requiring a box. I would liken the card to the cards that D* uses.

Anyway, I don't care as much about this anymore. I just received word from Comcast that they are testing out the HD DVR boxes now - they aren't advertising it yet - it's only by request. I am getting mine installed tomorrow. If anyone is interested, I can let you guys know how it works out...
post #460 of 4216 Old 08-30-2004, 06:04 PM

Thumbs up WPTA for getting us tonights MNF game in HD.

PQ is not as good as last year though. Have seen some signs of pixelation. Picture is soft too but that is typical of the 720p broadcasts that ABC does. Probably because of the increased bit rate used for the ABC news simulcast?

Good news for us D* subs today as well as we now get the Bravo HD channel with the HD pack.

post #461 of 4216 Old 08-30-2004, 06:18 PM

I am noticing the same signs of pixelation and softness on MNF.
post #462 of 4216 Old 08-30-2004, 06:28 PM

The softness is nothing new, pretty typical of 720p broadcasts. Also seems a little dim too, kinda like the stadium isn't lit up all that well. This could also contribute to the soft look as well.

The pixelation is all about bit-rate. Unfortunately only WPTA knows how much bandwidth their giving the HD broadcast.

If you had the chance to watch the first few HD games that WANE did you would have seen extreme pixelation, they were really starving the HD channel for bit-rate. They solved the problem though after the first week.

Hopefully WPTA will be able to steal some bits from the simulcast channel and clean up the pixelation a little. Most people shouldn't be concerned with the PQ of the simulcast channel.

post #463 of 4216 Old 08-30-2004, 06:41 PM

DialItUp - Who did you contact to get in on the DVRs? Did you just call the Comcast number and talk to someone locally to request it?
post #464 of 4216 Old 08-31-2004, 12:19 PM

Yeah, I called the regular number about 3 weeks ago and talked to a (surprise) very helpful CSR who took my name and said she'd call when they were ready. She called last Friday and we scheduled the setup for today. They were here before their 1-5 window. Works great. I really wish it had a dual tuner, but at least we're making progress. The install tech was friendly but not real knowledgeable. He informed me that they had some special going on right now where you can get 2 DVRs for free until 2005 or something. I have yet to call and verify it.
post #465 of 4216 Old 08-31-2004, 02:41 PM

vereekej,
I did see the first few games from WANE. I thought I was going to be able to show off awesome HD to my football buddies and I was pretty disappointed with all the pixelization. It was really bad.

i wouldn't think anyone is concerned with the bit rate of the simulcast channel on WPTA. I wish they would just come to an agreement with comcast...
post #466 of 4216 Old 08-31-2004, 05:43 PM

DialItUp - You don't happen to remember the name of your Comcast CSR, do you? I tried calling today, and my CSR told me that they don't have enough boxes to let everyone have one, so she couldn't let me have one. She said they should be available to everyone in about a month. It sounded like she was just guessing. She didn't mention anything about any specials on DVRs.
post #467 of 4216 Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 AM

I wonder which model pvr that they are going to give out. I also wonder about any firewire capabilities.

BTW, it seems Comcast has finally added Discovery HD Theater, channel 172, that was first hinted by Titantv.com. I am very dissapointed to miss the Olympics in HD because of WISE being cheap youknowhats. The opening and closing ceremonies alone would've been worth it.

The state of HD still isn't that good. That night that USC played Virginia Tech, every single HD channel that I get was showing something in HD, with the possible exception of WISE. That was a very rare experience. Not to mention that HD is bringing in a new era of non OAR fullscreen. Damn near all the blockbusters are in widescreen fullscreen, when I know most of those movies are in a wider ratio.
post #468 of 4216 Old 09-01-2004, 09:42 AM

DialItUp,

I just talked to a CSR at Comcast, and she told me that DVRs (single-tuner) are only being offered to satellite customers as part of the buy-back program. Did you sell back your satellite dish and DVR to Comcast?
post #469 of 4216 Old 09-01-2004, 12:25 PM

I talked to Janice originally. She was the one who called me back and set everything up. She also claimed they weren't available to the general public - I didn't get an idea of how many were actually available.

I never heard anything about the buyback. That would've been nice because I'm trying to cancel my DirecTV w/TiVo today and I keep getting a busy signal when they transfer me to a rep. Really p---ing me off.

Model is the 6208. Fire-wire isn't enabled, yet (the ports are on there though), and I am using the DVI port and it works well - after I finally got everything synced. I had to shut off both my TV and Cable box for 10 minutes and when it all came back up, everything was peachy.
post #470 of 4216 Old 09-02-2004, 12:06 AM

When you got your HD DVR from Comcast Fort Wayne what are the fees? Right now I have the Digital Plus fee and the HD pak for $5. So what are the additional fees for having the DVR??
Thanks,

Scott R.
post #471 of 4216 Old 09-02-2004, 10:43 AM

Scott,

In addition to what you already have, they will charge you 9.95/mo and I got installation lowered to 9.95 from 19.95.
post #472 of 4216 Old 09-02-2004, 10:57 AM

By the way, did any of you see the new NFL channel on Comcast? I believe its channel 180 on my box. I don' t think it's HD though...Comcast is trying...
post #473 of 4216 Old 09-02-2004, 04:13 PM

Un-FREAKIN-believable! I called Comcast two days in a row, talked to two different CSRs, got two different answers about the DVRs, but the same result, they wouldn't let me have one. So I figured I would try a third time and ask to talk to Janice, on DialItUp's advice. I got lucky, and Janice answered. Sure enough, she said I could get a DVR (single tuner), so they will be coming out next Tuesday to install it. I was so excited, I didn't even try to get them to lower the install price like DialItUp did!
post #474 of 4216 Old 09-04-2004, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I noticed last night that unWISE just started to broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.0. This is good news for stuff that has surround sound, but for stereo signals, my receiver just locks to surround. I'd rather get Dolby 2.0 and have my receiver apply Dolby ProLogic. Right now, if the signal is 5.0 and it is only a stereo program, sound only comes out of the front speakers. Oh well, maybe this is a sign that they are working on their HD? I could only hope.

Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #475 of 4216 Old 09-05-2004, 01:31 PM

unWISE probably won't get a delay server until close to the end of October just a few weeks before they won't even need it.

Dolby Digital sound would be nice for HD movies but I don't think NBC shows a whole lot of movies.

post #476 of 4216 Old 09-07-2004, 11:51 AM

Good news Seplant! You'll have to let us know how yours works out. I've been pretty satisfied so far. I get some occasionally choppiness, but if I pause for a couple seconds, everything goes away. Not sure if it's the line coming into my house or my box just not keeping up with live TV.
Recording works great though. Needs a larger hard drive. You'll find it will fill up pretty quickly.
post #477 of 4216 Old 09-08-2004, 12:17 PM

This might be redundant but I had a chat with WFFT regarding upcoming (or lack thereof) HD Broadcasts. The company that owns Fox55 apparently own several stations throughout the country that are required to broadcast DTV by 2005. Fort Wayne isn't required until 2006.

BTW, WFFT is planning on broadcasting all Chicago Bears games throughout the year.
post #478 of 4216 Old 09-08-2004, 03:22 PM

I chose to get the NFL Sunday Ticket for football games. D* will have all of the games each week (5 I believe) from FOX that will be in HD.

Game #1 is Bears vs. Lions. WFFT = fuzzy SD reception D* = HD

Fortunately or Unfortunately for me I'm a Lions fan. Will be nice to see them in HD for the first time this year.

post #479 of 4216 Old 09-08-2004, 07:28 PM

Well, I got my DVR installed by Comcast last night. Pretty awesome! The box looks identical to my previous HD cable box, but has I believe a 20GB hard drive. It can store up to 7 hours of HD content. Seems to work just fine. Programming is almost idiot-proof. It would be nice to have dual tuners and a larger hard drive, but hey, being able to time-shift HD at all is fabulous to me.

DialItUp - I noticed some choppiness at first last night, but didn't notice any tonight. I did notice that it takes longer to tune channels. Just a slight pause, but noticeably longer than my other box. Not a big deal to me.
post #480 of 4216 Old 09-09-2004, 07:05 AM

Fortunately or Unfortunately for me I'm a Lions fan.

No comment on that statement.

I'd like to order Sunday ticket, but the rumor is DTV is going to have Fort Wayne locals at the end of the month anyway. If that's the case, then I don't have to worry about Sunday Ticket. ;-)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page