Fort Wayne, IN - HDTV - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4216 Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Over in the Indy thread, Jason had this tid bit of information about a Nexstar station: "WTWO and WBAK will NEVER bradcast in high def. I am a pretty good friend with Julie Henricks at WTWO and she told me that if the FCC forced WTWO to broadcast in 1080i. Nexstar would probably just shut down the station."
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...71#post4924968

That's not good news for WFFT. Hopefully they'll sell the station to someone else. I wonder what people would have done when the stations switced to color and instead of switching, they just closed down. Nexstar is lame.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4216 Old 01-05-2005, 10:51 AM

Liked: 10
Just in case anyone felt like letting nexstar know how they feel, I have taken the liberty of guessing the email addresses to some of the bigwigs at www.nexstar.tv based on their position in the company, their names, and the way nexstar email is addressed. I have sent a polite email to all of these guys and got no undeliverable messages or replies, so I cannot know for sure if they are good emails...but hey, it's worth a try, right?

browse through this page:
http://www.nexstar.tv/default_v1024.asp
to see who these guys are or to find other bigwigs that you may want to email. Have fun! Remember to be polite and professional even though I doubt they give a rat's @$$ about you as a viewer =)
post #633 of 4216 Old 01-05-2005, 11:32 AM

It would seem Nexstar has some big issues going on elsewhere in its company. I was reading a trade report here at work today, and it stated that Nexstar was pulling its retransmission rights on cable in certain markets (not Fort Wayne.) I believe it stated they wanted 30 cents a subscriber for the rights.

Sounds like Nexstar has several fish to fry. Linkage:

http://www.sastandardtimes.com/sast/...-PRINT,00.html
post #634 of 4216 Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by laggytoad
Just in case anyone felt like letting nexstar know how they feel, I have taken the liberty of guessing the email addresses to some of the bigwigs at www.nexstar.tv based on their position in the company, their names, and the way nexstar email is addressed. I have sent a polite email to all of these guys and got no undeliverable messages or replies, so I cannot know for sure if they are good emails...but hey, it's worth a try, right?

browse through this page:
http://www.nexstar.tv/default_v1024.asp
to see who these guys are or to find other bigwigs that you may want to email. Have fun! Remember to be polite and professional even though I doubt they give a rat's @$$ about you as a viewer =)

well, i emailed to those addresses that you posted around 6 this afternoon, and I got a reply back in about an hour.

here's my original email:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 5:35 PM
To: psook@nexstar.tv; rstolpe@nexstar.tv; tbusch@nexstar.tv
Subject: Lack of High Definition from WFFT

Hi,

I'd like to express my disappointment at the lack of High Definition from WFFT55 out of Fort Wayne. In repeated emails to WFFT, they state that they have no plans to upgrade to HD. I understand that the cost of upgrading is high, but with most primetime programming being offered in HD, as well as the recent addition of Fox Sports in HD, WFFT should be upgrading to HD soon. I am extremely upset that I will not be watching the Super Bowl in HD this year, especially after having watched it in HD last year on CBS. WFFT is the only station in the Fort Wayne market not broadcasting in HD. WPTA ABC, WISE NBC, WANE CBS, and WFWA PBS are all broadcasting in HD. I should hope that Nexstar's position on the matter is not to never upgrade to HD. If this is your position on the matter, maybe you could sell the station to a company more in tune to the demands of the consumer. A few years ago, I could understand the lack of HD, as it was new and not many views could receive the signal. Now, however, many more people are able to receive the signal, especially as integrated HD sets are now reasonably priced. I look forward to an email from you stating your position on the matter.

Thank you,
Ryan Dunn
oryan_dunn@hotmail.com

and the response from Perry:
We are currently finishing the development our master plan for the full power and high definition upgrade to our 40 TV stations. I'm sure you can imagine the complexity and cost involved at approximately $2million per station. Rest assured we do plan to upgrade WFFT to full power and high definition capability, although I cannot say with certainty exactly when. PAS

So I guess that is better news than I had expected. I wonder where wfft is on the list to be upgraded? Anyone know the ranking of nexstar's station based on the market size? Another thing that he addressed in the email was the stations going to full power. That's another issue that wfft is currently lacking on their digital signal. So, hopefully, they'll get started soon on the upgrade.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #635 of 4216 Old 01-06-2005, 05:23 AM

nicely done, Dunn! Hopefully the interest we show in WFFT will make it a little higher on the upgrade list. It's too bad it's not in time for the 24 season premiere this sunday
I do believe the first post regarding Nexstar in this thread mentioned the station rankings of WFFT in case you were curious.
"squeaky wheel gets the grease"!
post #636 of 4216 Old 01-06-2005, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I also sent similar emails to Fox Sports and the GM of WFFT. I wonder if I will get a reply from either of them.

post #637 of 4216 Old 01-06-2005, 12:14 PM

How many people are not receiving any audio on WPTA's high def channel? I noticed on Tuesday and last night that I was not receiving audio over my RCA DTC210 sat receiver. The non-HD channels were fine. I know of another person not receiving the audio on his Samsung SIR TS-160 receiver. Does anyone know of a good person at WPTA to email about the problem. Via their website, I sent an email to the station manager, but I assume a station engineer would be a better person to contact.
post #638 of 4216 Old 01-06-2005, 01:15 PM

Was having the same problem on my parent's DTC210....I went home and all was OK through my Hughes receiver and through my TV's decoder. I figured it was just something wrong with their receiver. But their audio never returned, and mine never went out. Glad to know there is someone else with the same problem & it's just not their equipment.

Hope they get this fixed soon!
post #639 of 4216 Old 01-06-2005, 10:05 PM

This thread is depressing.
post #640 of 4216 Old 01-07-2005, 07:04 AM

maybe this will help:
post #641 of 4216 Old 01-08-2005, 12:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by aggie
Hi, Can anyone near South Bend receive ABC HD from Fort Wayne?

I did. I have since taken down the antenna, but I had a RadioShack UHF Only antenna that could pick up ABC out of Fort Wayne. It was not an easy pull, and I was also hampered by the fact that I had a South Bend facing antenna tied into a combined coax down to my HD set ... but I could get the ABC. (The South Bend channel numbers are so close to Fort Wayne's that interference is easy if your antenna isn't directional enough.)

I didn't feel like running a separate coax from the second antenna to my HD box just for the one channel (the other FW stations are not strong), and I wanted to improve OTA of South Bend so I dropped the FW antenna off of my system. But it worked.

BTW: I'm on the South side of Elkhart near the US20 bypass. No so much hills to shoot through as you have over in Granger.

JL
post #642 of 4216 Old 01-09-2005, 10:43 AM
TKO

I have two Samsung 360's and neither will play audio from 21 WPTA-DT. I was originally going to post a message to the 360 720p problem thread but I see others in Ft. Wayne are having audio issues using other HD receivers.

I also have a FusionHDTV PCI card and it's able to play the audio so their is audio in the signal.

Tom
post #643 of 4216 Old 01-09-2005, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm using the Sony hd300 and have had no problems with audio on WPTA yet.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #644 of 4216 Old 01-09-2005, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Sylvania SRZ3000 here and haven't had any audio problems with 21's audio.

post #645 of 4216 Old 01-09-2005, 01:47 PM

HD-Tivo and no audio problems from 21.
post #646 of 4216 Old 01-10-2005, 08:46 AM

Haven't had any audio problems from my LG LST-3510A either.
post #647 of 4216 Old 01-11-2005, 05:32 PM

I talked to an engineer at WPTA last week. He said that they had made some software changes and that I should try rescanning the channel. I did the rescan and I still did not receive any audio. I left a voice mail on Monday stating that the rescan had not worked. I never got a call back, but I noticed late last night that I had audio again.
post #648 of 4216 Old 01-12-2005, 07:27 PM
TKO

I have audio again on my Samsung 360.

Tom
post #649 of 4216 Old 01-14-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Since WISE was bought out by granite, I wonder if they will be getting an HD delay server for this summer? Although, they may not need to if Daniels has his way with dst. I really want HD this summer since Conan is going HD in April.

post #650 of 4216 Old 01-16-2005, 02:17 PM

Hi, I live in the Fort Wayne area and just joined the ranks of the HD "enlightened" last month. After reading this thread, I'm beginning to understand there are many more issues with HD in the Fort Wayne area than I was initially aware of, and in hindsight I'm kind of glad I didn't buy HDTV sooner.

But the main reason for my post is the debacle that is known as WFFT. I clicked on a link earlier in this thread that provided broadcasters' transmission info and it states that WFFT DT36 has a construction permit for a 1,000,000 watt transmitter at 241m. It surprises me that they would get a permit for that if they had no intention of building it. (For example, WANE got a construction permit in the same time frame for a 1500 watt transmitter and then later applied for a modification to 1,000,000 watts.)

So, I'll cross my fingers that we will have FOX in HD at some point here in town. In the mean time (meaning for the Super Bowl) I will be looking into a way of pulling in a Fox station from South Bend or Toledo.
post #651 of 4216 Old 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by HDEye

So, I'll cross my fingers that we will have FOX in HD at some point here in town. In the mean time (meaning for the Super Bowl) I will be looking into a way of pulling in a Fox station from South Bend or Toledo.

Take a look at some of my posts on getting both South Bend stations.

One thing I havn't seen in this thread is how close to Fort Wayne can people recieve South Bend stations. I am in the Tri Lakes area north of Columbia City... any one closer to Fort Wayne who can pick up South Bend?

diehard
post #652 of 4216 Old 01-24-2005, 12:07 PM

From everything I've read Ft Wayne would be my best bet for OTA HDTV. Wondering if anyone from the columbus grove-lima area has had any luck. I live in the country with flat terrrain, but will need to put up anntena (purple range) Roughly 60 miles to all FT wayne stations according to Antena web. Which only list wane as the only station in FT wayne I should get. Would like to know, before purchasing antenna and a OTA receiver if I would have any luck picking up the stations or would it all be a waste of time and money.

Any suggestions or if anyone in my area has had luck picking up OTA HDTV please let me know and give me some do's and don'ts.

Thanks
post #653 of 4216 Old 01-24-2005, 12:13 PM

Columbus Grove thinking of OTA HDTV
From everything I've read Ft Wayne would be my best bet for OTA HDTV. Wondering if anyone from the columbus grove-lima area has had any luck. I live in the country with flat terrrain, but will need to put up anntena (purple range) Roughly 60 miles to all FT wayne stations according to Antena web. Which only list wane as the only station in FT wayne I should get. Would like to know, before purchasing antenna and a OTA receiver if I would have any luck picking up the stations or would it all be a waste of time and money.

Any suggestions or if anyone in my area has had luck picking up OTA HDTV please let me know and give me some do's and don'ts.

Thanks
post #654 of 4216 Old 01-24-2005, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you have D*, try and get the wavers for their local stations.

Wolfie
post #655 of 4216 Old 01-24-2005, 02:19 PM

you should be able to get WPTA, they're broadcasting at full strength. WANE will be difficult as they are at low power, WISE is possible but will be difficult. WFFT will be impossible.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #656 of 4216 Old 01-25-2005, 05:04 PM

Thanks. Just curious, anyone receiving the Ft wayne HDTV signals from 60 or miles away. This would give me a good idea of I would be able to pick up their reception?

And if so what type of tuner do you have and antenna setup.

Thanks
post #657 of 4216 Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 AM
mkj

Anyone in the area using the expensive DirecTV HD TIVO?

If so, do you or have you had any issues with channels in the DirecTV program guide being fake channels that do not actually have programming? This is in reference to OTA Digital channels.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #658 of 4216 Old 01-28-2005, 10:36 AM

I don't have a Directv HD Tivo, but I have been getting these fake channels on my RCA Directv HD receiver. They are rather annoying.
post #659 of 4216 Old 01-28-2005, 07:43 PM

Same for me with my Hughes HTL-HD receiver.
post #660 of 4216 Old 01-29-2005, 06:23 PM

Hi, what do you folks mean by "fake channels"?

thanks,

aggie
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page