Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4216 Old 03-15-2005, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by mkj
The WISH comment is not accurate. WANE does decide on its own what programming we air.

This is the best comment I have heard from any Fort Wayne media person yet. This is welcome relief. Please keep the good work WANE.

Unfortunately I see South Bend TV media taking this HDTV more serious and providing a lot more than the Fort Wayne media has (Example fox28 and fox 55, yea, right, there is is no comparison, fox28 kicks 55's ass all the way to China)

But then, I never thought I would see WISE TV go through what has happened.

If I'm lucky Steve Shine can go the same way as with the EX employess as WISE33 when fox55 hits the dust (and if anyone thinks different, money is the key and one day when fox realizes the Fort Wayne affiliate is not performing BAM BAM, done, game over) Enough said..............

diehard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4216 Old 03-15-2005, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by diehard_1955
If I'm lucky Steve Shine can go the same way as with the EX employess as WISE33 when fox55 hits the dust (and if anyone thinks different, money is the key and one day when fox realizes the Fort Wayne affiliate is not performing BAM BAM, done, game over) Enough said..............

It's timely you should mention Shine; Fort Wayne Mediawatch had this to say in regards to the unWISE massacre:
Quote:

WFFT-TV, it is rumored, will do a newscast, using some former 33 staffers and Steve Shine as the main anchor.

Is this possible? We think it is, with Asher Agency getting advertising sponsors to jump on board.

Does Steve Shine have anything to do with WFFT anymore? I grew up watching him do the news each hour during primetime in the '90s. The only problem I could see with him doing the news again has to do with politics. The chairman of the Allen County GOP, reading the news, on a FOX station no less? Democrat field day is pending.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: nice job to WANE-TV on the HD games, it's just too bad I don't like basketball. Then again, HD is supposed to make people watch things they normally wouldn't. Is there going to be any promotion of the HD games?
post #723 of 4216 Old 03-15-2005, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by NoToLowPower
It's timely you should mention Shine; Fort Wayne Mediawatch had this to say in regards to the unWISE massacre:

Does Steve Shine have anything to do with WFFT anymore? I grew up watching him do the news each hour during primetime in the '90s. The only problem I could see with him doing the news again has to do with politics. The chairman of the Allen County GOP, reading the news, on a FOX station no less? Democrat field day is pending.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: nice job to WANE-TV on the HD games, it's just too bad I don't like basketball. Then again, HD is supposed to make people watch things they normally wouldn't. Is there going to be any promotion of the HD games?

Very interesting stuff. I wonder if National FoxNews could help set it up (do they help with Fox markets?) Using former WISE33 staff makes excellent sense (No Linda Jackson, with Greg Shoup on weather and Kent Horman on sports = excellent. Heck, Shoup would be very happy, I have seen him look like he wanted to almost jump across the table and pound her when she goes on and on, when he is trying to recap the weather at the end of a broadcast.

Steve Shine wouldn't fly.
post #724 of 4216 Old 03-16-2005, 10:59 AM
mkj

As promised, here is the information for Friday 3/18. These games will air on HD channel 15.1 only.

12:25 PM
Florida vs. Ohio

2:35 PM
UConn vs. Central Florida

7:10 PM
Louisville vs. LA-Lafayette

9:30 PM
Michigan State vs. Old Dominion

Enjoy!!!

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #725 of 4216 Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 AM

Yes! Louisville in HD! Thanks for the info mkj!
post #726 of 4216 Old 03-17-2005, 02:07 PM

Did anybody watch the WANE news at 11 last night? In the middle of the broadcast, David Scott read off the list of NCAA games that would be aired on WANE-TV 15, then he read the list of "alternate" games that would be aired on "digital cable 31.1." In the word of Lil' Jon, whaaaaaattttt??!! I'm not big on government spending, but Scott's little gaffe makes the perfect case for a DTV education program run by the FCC. If they made the stations alert their viewers as to what DTV is about and that it has little to do with DIGITAL CABLE, this whole transition wouldn't be so difficult. It sucks to be a semi-early adopter.

The HD games do look good, though. Kudos to WANE. I almost forgot I'm not really into basketball.
post #727 of 4216 Old 03-18-2005, 04:17 PM

Hey mkj, maybe you can help with a problem I have.

I have a Toshiba DST-3000 DirecTV receiver, and I have an issue with OTA digital channels 15-1 and 15-2. They show up in my program guide but if I select them from the guide I get nothing. I can select 15-3 from the guide to watch the weather radar without any problem.

I can get 15-1 by using the numeric pad to enter 31-1 directly (entering 15-1 does not work). Same with 15-2; I can get it by entering 31-2. The problem is, if I get to 15-1 by entering 31-1, after a period of time it just goes black - no video and no audio. It always does this precisely on the hour and the half hour but at other times as well. Also, once I enter 31-1 to watch 15-1, if I bring up the guide (just bringing up the guide, not changing channels) as soon as the guide is finished loading the video goes black and the audio goes silent.

I have rescanned the local OTA channels several times and it has not fixed this problem. Since the other local OTA channels work just fine, could this problem be on your end? PSIP perhaps?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
post #728 of 4216 Old 03-18-2005, 05:24 PM

Random58; Sounds to me that there is a problem with the station's PSIP. Your receiver almost certainly doesn't know the time, but the station does!

It seems likely that you have a "fussy" receiver and they aren't conforming precisely to the requsite format.

I suggest that you contact the station, and let them know about your problem. On more than one occasion, one local station in South Bend has disappeared for a month or more!

aggie
post #729 of 4216 Old 03-19-2005, 04:17 AM

Thanks Aggie. I hope mkj, who is evidently an engineer at 15, can respond.

Did you go to A&M, by the way?
post #730 of 4216 Old 03-19-2005, 09:31 AM
mkj

This is a problem with the DirecTV receivers. You should call DirecTV and let them know of the problem.

We are aware of the issue. This problem is so far only seen in DirecTV receivers that can receive over the air digital.

We continue to look into this problem, but you still need to contact DirecTV about this problem. If I come into more information, I will let you know.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #731 of 4216 Old 03-19-2005, 11:42 AM

Thanks, mkj, I'll follow up with DirecTV. Any idea why it only affects your station for me?
post #732 of 4216 Old 03-19-2005, 08:35 PM

Random58; Thanks for asking, No, Velva Agricultural High School, North Dakota Agricultural College (now NDSU). I farm with atoms (solid state physicist).

I tend to doubt that the problem is specific to your receiver. If this were the case, there would be thousands of such reports on the various forums.

I had a problem with a local in South Bend, WNIT. It affected Dish 6000 receivers...it was their problem with a non-standard PSIP.

aggie
post #733 of 4216 Old 03-20-2005, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Sony D* receiver hd-300. 15.1,2,3 all show up in the guide and will tune in through these station numbers but I don't receive any guide data for them. It just says "regular schedule" all of the time. The schedule does work properly for WPTA, WISE, and even WFFT which I am unable to receive. I think with D* the guide data is received through the Sat as opposed to OTA with OTA only receivers. It's just recently that WANE had their digital station redirected properly to the 15 numbers, it's possible the D* hasn't caught on to this yet.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #734 of 4216 Old 03-20-2005, 10:43 AM

First, I want to express my thanks to the people at WANE for showing the tournament games this weekend in HD. All of the games looked great! I especially thought it was great when the announcers would say: "Now back to Greg in New York with an update" and then they wouldn't switch to another game. That has been one my biggest frustrations with CBS's coverage of the tournament - the jumping back and forth between games. It was nice that the HD games did not do that. One problem I did notice though was that the audio kept switching between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Pro Logic - and it wasn't just during the commercials.

On a different subject: I am a subscriber to Comcast's HD Cable and I have noticed that my DWISE channel (channel 232 on Comcast) no longer works. Is this related to the recent takeover of WISE by 21Alive? Can anyone tell me if OTA DWISE still works? I know that Comcast has had issues getting WPTA to agree to have their HD signal broadcast on Comcast. I wonder if the recent takeover has nullified WISE's agreement now as well. I would call and ask Comcast, but I'm pretty sure whoever I got on the phone wouldn't be able to answer my question anyway.
post #735 of 4216 Old 03-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tdodel
I especially thought it was great when the announcers would say: "Now back to Greg in New York with an update" and then they wouldn't switch to another game. That has been one my biggest frustrations with CBS's coverage of the tournament - the jumping back and forth between games. It was nice that the HD games did not do that.

The good news was that CBS didn't "flex" the HD network any. So we are able to follow one game and stay with it. It does get irritating toward the end of the game when they swing from game to game. Of course, if we had more "local" interest
post #736 of 4216 Old 03-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tdodel

On a different subject: I am a subscriber to Comcast's HD Cable and I have noticed that my DWISE channel (channel 232 on Comcast) no longer works. Is this related to the recent takeover of WISE by 21Alive? Can anyone tell me if OTA DWISE still works? I know that Comcast has had issues getting WPTA to agree to have their HD signal broadcast on Comcast. I wonder if the recent takeover has nullified WISE's agreement now as well. I would call and ask Comcast, but I'm pretty sure whoever I got on the phone wouldn't be able to answer my question anyway.

You are right, they could not answer the question. I called Comcast Saturday to report that I could not get the DWISE signal. The CSR said she was not aware of a problem but she would check their TV to see if she could get it. She came back to the phone and said she could not get it on their TV either, so she would report the problem. Still nothing as of Sunday night, so you may be right in wondering if this has something to do with the recent takeover.
post #737 of 4216 Old 03-21-2005, 12:51 PM

EDITED: WISE-DT is on the air, so maybe Granite's trying to coax some money out of Comcast.

Speaking of Comcast, does anybody think the WISE33 news department purger, um, merger into 21 is reminiscent of what happened when Comcast bought TechTV and basically eliminated it to get more subscribers for their G4 channel? Both were cases of killing the superior competition and leaving little trace of the corpse.
post #738 of 4216 Old 03-22-2005, 04:46 AM

As of last night, it was back on the air. Maybe it was a Comcast problem after all?
post #739 of 4216 Old 03-23-2005, 07:48 AM

Yes, This was a Comcast receiver issue...NOT a WISE issue.

Comments are my own and not that of my employer.
post #740 of 4216 Old 03-23-2005, 10:45 AM
mkj

Here is an update on the program guide issues with DirecTV receivers and WANE digital.

A problem was found in the program guide data that DirecTV receives and then transmits. Some incorrect/old information was in this data and caused the receivers to not match up the signals. The company that provides the program guide data has been informed of the problem and will be correcting it. I look for this problem to be resolved sometime this week.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #741 of 4216 Old 03-23-2005, 11:19 AM

Was that program guide data provided by TitanTV? I had issues with them when I first got my HD receiver in December.... They provide an option on their website that when you press the record button on their website it would download the information (channel/time/etc.) to my computer where my receiver (EyeTV 500) would load it into the program cue. EyeTV figured out which station to record correctly for all station except WANE because TitanTV was listing WANE as 31 (31-1, 31-2, 31-3), unlike for example WPTA as 24 (21-1, 21-2). This was a major peeve of mine because I would have to manually choose the channel whenever I selected to record a CBS program so I used the feedback form on their website to inform them of the problem.

I just checked TitanTV after reading the last comment and saw that they now list WANE as 31 (15-1, 15-2, 15-3). I know it wasn't like that a week ago..... I guess their feedback form on their website is really that slow, or it took someone to actually call them to get them to fix it.
post #742 of 4216 Old 03-23-2005, 11:33 AM
mkj

No, Titan TV is not the source for this problem with DirecTV.

I noticed the listing on Titan TV was showing 31-1, 31-2, and 31-3. Last week, the station notified Titan to have them update their site to show that we are mapping to 15.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #743 of 4216 Old 03-23-2005, 04:44 PM

Hi mkj:

My problem is now fixed. Thanks for your assistance!
post #744 of 4216 Old 03-24-2005, 02:07 PM

WOW,

I just checked my RCA Direct TV DTC100 HDTV reciever and the channel guides and information is working great. I get all channels accept 39, it shows "Regular Schedule" tho WANE are working.

I did have to go into my system setup and there was a setting to either acquire or not to acquire guides. I do know when Fort Wayne first started broadcasting in HDTV I had to check do not acquire guieds because it screwed everything up. Now that the channels are showing like 15-1 and such I had to change to acquire guides.

Just another reason why HDTV is must see.

diehard
post #745 of 4216 Old 03-24-2005, 11:39 PM

Well today I got my Moto 6412 from Comcast and what a day. Dual tuners,pretty smart recording interface (now it's not TiVo but it surprised me since I have Replay and TiVo to compare it too),great picture (I think it looks better than my old Moto 5100 I traded in),very easy to use with IGuide instead of that old TVGuide with Ads and no Prog. guide basically. OK OK enough Raving about today.

Watching the games ON WANE-DT tonight there were times with the screen said "No Input Signal" and then after a while it came back and then did it again. Well, last week watching games on my Dad's Samsung 151 OTA tuner it had the same message in that dark grey font. So, it's happening at WANE-DT not my receivers because how can 2 receivers have the EXACT message during basketball action?? Just trying to find out if other Fort Wayne HD people are seeing this too?? Thanks,

Scott
post #746 of 4216 Old 03-25-2005, 04:06 AM

I had the same "No Input Signal" message last night and last week. I think it is either from WANE or from the network.
post #747 of 4216 Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 AM

"No Input Signal"

Had the same message last night watching March Madness on 22-1 from South Bend. It would also lose its lock on HD and occasionally switch to SD. Must have been a CBS issue.
post #748 of 4216 Old 03-25-2005, 11:22 AM

My guide is now working properly for WANE on D*. Now that the programs show up properly on the digital channels it's time to delete the analog station from the favorites list.

Now if only WFFT could go HD then I could say bye bye to analog OTA for good.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #749 of 4216 Old 03-25-2005, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Is anyone else who gets guide data via PSIP, not getting guide data for WFWA, for WPTA, all I get is DTV program, for wise, its just WISE-HD1 (which is expected since its been that way) and for Wane, all I get is the current show, noting in the future. I'm using an LG 4200A. I haven't had time to watch tv lately, so today was my first time in a few weeks to watch anything on the HD tuner.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #750 of 4216 Old 03-25-2005, 02:20 PM

Guys:

At what time did this happen? In between games?

The Harris CBS receiver we have takes a few moments to change transponders. The receiver used to freeze on the last frame of video, but now goes to "Loss of Input Signal". It happens whenever we change from horizontal to vertical locally. Normally, that never happens because we hang on the same transponder, but since CBS is obviously originating from multiple sites, the hot swap has to be done and the signal will drop.

Of course, depending on when this happened, it may be a CBS problem (I didn't work last night), but more than likely we were just switching transponders. The game should have never switched here in Fort Wayne to SD. Let us know if it did and we'll look into it!

Thanks for the input, guys!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page