post #901 of 4216 Old 09-10-2005, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerM View Post

What is the deal?
2 Weeks is a row, no HD Football on WPTA!!!
Ohio State vs Texas is the Game of the pre-season, and just a lousy SD game.

That's ABC's bad.
AVS Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4216 Old 09-11-2005, 01:44 PM
TV8

All regional games on ABC are in SD this year. They don't have enough satellite capacity to have 4 to 6 regional games in HD. Even if its a national game the stadium needs to be fibered up for HD. That is why Notre Dame games on NBC are not in HD.

Mike L.
post #903 of 4216 Old 09-11-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TV8 View Post

All regional games on ABC are in SD this year. They don't have enough satellite capacity to have 4 to 6 regional games in HD. Even if its a national game the stadium needs to be fibered up for HD. That is why Notre Dame games on NBC are not in HD.

Did you mean to say Notre Dame games on ABC are not in HD? The latest reports indicate that all Notre Dame home games on NBC WILL BE in HD starting this year.

Steve
post #904 of 4216 Old 09-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I can confirm that NBC will originate 2005 home ND games in HD.

HD will be backhauled to NBC NY via Ku space segment

with SD backup backhauled via terrestrial fiber.
post #905 of 4216 Old 09-11-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV8 View Post

There's tons o'fiber in South Bend, hell in any Division I college there should be OC-X fiber to the Internet. How difficult would it be to have an 27Meg Streaming Feed to one main center. There are existing providers that do this already....
post #906 of 4216 Old 09-11-2005, 07:20 PM

Donkin: I'm 4 miles from the towers and WANE has always been my strongest signal.

JagerM: Miami-FSU was in HD on Monday night so I don't think it's an issue of WPTA not passing it on. I don't know why they wouldn't have the HD crew in Columbus for a game of that magnitude!
post #907 of 4216 Old 09-11-2005, 07:26 PM

I'm currently using a small indoor directional antenna for the HD setup on my computer, but now that I have an HDTV on the way for the living room I'd like something a little less hands off. I don't have the time or the tools to do an install of an outdoor antenna so I'm looking for someone to do that job for me. Any recommendations for antenna installers in the Fort Wayne area?
post #908 of 4216 Old 09-12-2005, 04:49 AM
TV8

Hello George,
You are closer to the situation than I am, however, I have not heard from Tom Duff that next weeks' N.D. home game will be in HD. Maybe the announcement will come this week.
When I talk about fiber I mean fiber within the stadium for cameras to connect to.

Mike L.
post #909 of 4216 Old 09-13-2005, 06:51 PM

HDEye:

Thanks. I put longer coax on my Sliver Sensor and tried different positions around the room. I found I could 'dial in' WANE by holding the antenna on my lap. So much for an elegant solution :-)
post #910 of 4216 Old 09-14-2005, 07:34 PM

Has anyone in the Aboite area been able to receive FOX 28.1 out of South Bend? If so what was your setup. I have not been able to receive it at all. My friend lives in northern Allen county, and gets it with no problem.
post #911 of 4216 Old 09-15-2005, 06:34 AM

I'm wondering the same thing. I live off St. Rd. 14 and am going to be setting up an outdoor antenna in the near future. Being able to receive FOX out of SB is a must.
post #912 of 4216 Old 09-15-2005, 07:24 PM

I just came upon a page at WFWA's website pointing out their carriage of the Roberts hearings on 39-3. What it ended with didn't sound good:

Quote:

This programming is the first phase and a test of the PBS39's anticipated four-channel standard definition digital service tentatively slated to begin Saturday, October 1, 2005. Currently, PBS39 airs programming on two separate digital channels: digital channel 39-1 (a channel of high-definition, 16 X 9 aspect ratio wide screen format programming sent directly from PBS) and 39-2, a direct re-broadcast of its regular broadcasting on analog Channel 39.

I'm guessing the PBS HD Channel's getting cut for this. WBGU Bowling Green (which actually was 39 back in the day IIRC) runs a 4-SD setup and shuts some of the subchannels off to simulcast shows produced in HD. Is that what will happen here, or is HD gone completely?
post #913 of 4216 Old 09-15-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
That's not good. It is nice having a constant HD channel to have the tv run on when there is nothing else good on tv (most of the time). We might have to start a campaign to change their minds if this is in fact where they are headed. On this note, is PBS 39-1 blank for you guys to? Its blank OTA and off my cable feed.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #914 of 4216 Old 09-15-2005, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is the email i sent to the technical guy at PBS:

Hi,

I'd like to have your reassurances that WFWA will continue to broadcast the PBS HD channel. I've recently become concerned about the future of this awesome service because of a posting to your site. According to this link (http://wfwa.org/whatsnew/39-3onSeptember6.html) WFWA will begin to broadcast four standard def channels ala WBGU. I believe that following this plan will do a great disservice to the Fort Wayne area. The PBS HD channel is one of the best forms of entertainment that is still free today. Please do not take this away from your viewers.

Sincerely,

Ryan Dunn

Senior in Computer Science - IPFW

We'll see what he says.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #915 of 4216 Old 09-15-2005, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

On this note, is PBS 39-1 blank for you guys to? Its blank OTA and off my cable feed.

Darkness, everybody! Darkness is spreading! It was still working 3 or 4 hours ago, maybe just a glitch? It's certainly not a national issue - WNIT South Bend still has it on 34-1. Chalk another one up for the 574.

THE NEXT DAY: PBS HD is back on again.
post #916 of 4216 Old 09-16-2005, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it looks like for the time being, PBS HD is off the air.
Quote:

Dear Mr. Dunn,
Matt Kyle forwarded your email to me as I oversee programming here at PBS39.
I regret to inform you that indeed the PBS HD channel will be removed from digital 39-1 starting October 1, 2005. This channel was never meant to be a permanent offering from PBS but a means for local PBS stations to showcase High Definition programming during the mandated digital conversion. The hours of available programming on that channel have decreased from well over 400 hours to well under 200 hours. That means you're seeing the same 200 hours (about one weeks worth) over and over and have been for more than a year.

The problem is the cost to secure rights to the programming. In an attempt to update the rights to the current shows and potentially add new programming and interstitial material to the channel, PBS determined the only way possible to accomplish that was to charge PBS stations an additional fee to carry the channel starting October 1. Unfortunately the cost is prohibitive for WFWA. There is also no guarantee the number of stations who subscribe will be enough to be able to cover the cost to upgrade the programming. After 10/1/05 PBS39 will move to 4 Standard Definition channels. However, when a program is sent down in HD by PBS and we are carrying it live off the satellite feed, we will broadcast 1 HD and 2 SD channels simultaneously.

However, much like this new technology, our plans are evolving. If PBS can provide a robust HD channel with a wider variety of programming that is updated more often we will certainly revisit our decision. The current plan was considered long and hard but it became quite evident that it was the only choice given the cost and lack of guarantees for new material. We would like nothing more than to continue HD programing on 39-1 so the people in our viewer area can truly appreciate the outstanding quality of that technology 24/7 and I assure you we will continue to look for more HD opportunities.

Thank you so much for your question and comments.

Claudia Johnson
WFWA PBS39

post #917 of 4216 Old 09-16-2005, 08:07 PM

That's a perfectly understandable explanation; PBS HD has way too much repetition. Could they at least show some Soundstage reruns from previous seasons?
post #918 of 4216 Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 PM

Strange that the Colts game was not in HD today on 15-1. Does anyone know why?
Is it a:
  1. CBS issue
  2. WANE issue
  3. Time zone issue
  4. Daylight savings issue
  5. All of above?
It sure is irritating to seemingly have no rhyme or reason to the pattern of local HD programming.
post #919 of 4216 Old 09-19-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggytoad View Post

Strange that the Colts game was not in HD today on 15-1. Does anyone know why?
Is it a:
  1. CBS issue
  2. WANE issue
  3. Time zone issue
  4. Daylight savings issue
  5. All of above?
It sure is irritating to seemingly have no rhyme or reason to the pattern of local HD programming.

CBS does not have the capability to broadcast all games in HD like Fox. Yesterday's Colts game was never scheduled to be in HD. Check the HD programming posts at AVS Forum for this info.
post #920 of 4216 Old 09-20-2005, 06:19 AM

Just picked up a HDTV receiver over the weekend... wow HDTV is really amazing!

From my home on the NE side of Fort Wayne (near Wallen and Auburn) I can pick up everyone except fox with just a simple "rabit ears" antenna I've had for years.

Two questions:
1) I noticed MNF was broadcast in DD5.1 (according to ABC) but I only received 2.0 from WPTA... do the local guys broadcast in 5.1?

2) What are my chances of pulling in a FOX broadcast from Southbend? I've looked at AntennaWeb but I'm interested in any specific antenna experiences.

Thanks!
post #921 of 4216 Old 09-20-2005, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhurak View Post

From my home on the NE side of Fort Wayne (near Wallen and Auburn) I can pick up everyone except fox with just a simple "rabit ears" antenna I've had for years.

Two questions:
1) I noticed MNF was broadcast in DD5.1 (according to ABC) but I only received 2.0 from WPTA... do the local guys broadcast in 5.1?

2) What are my chances of pulling in a FOX broadcast from Southbend? I've looked at AntennaWeb but I'm interested in any specific antenna experiences.

Thanks!

WANE broadcasts in 5.1 when it is provided by the network.

In response to the question of the Colts game not being in HD, Goldrich hit it on the head. It was never scheduled to be in HD. The next Colt game scheduled to be in HD is October 2nd against the Titans.

We got about 20 phone calls about the game not being in HD last week. Sometimes human error creeps in, but that wasn't the case.
post #922 of 4216 Old 09-20-2005, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckrac View Post

OK, tonight, NCIS premiere on WANE... I saw the 5.1 logo when the show started, but no 5.1 feed. I assumed this would be a case where 5.1 would happen... is it my setup or the network or the local broadcast?

Thanks for your help and information!
post #923 of 4216 Old 09-20-2005, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Two questions:

Thanks!

1. Like jckrac said, WANE does 5.1 when available. Everybody else is 2.0 (either WPTA or WISE, not both, is supposed to get 5.1 in the future).

2. Tough question. FOX 28's reportedly been received in Allen County, which is well out of the coverage area (for that matter, so are Huntington and Waterloo). All I can say is go for the highest elevation and the highest gain antenna you can get (I use an Antennas Direct XG91 which is 15dB IIRC). Note that WSJV's digital signal is still on low power. It's worth a shot, since WFFT 55 will go neither full power nor HDTV until they get some ownership that will invest into the station's DTV operations like Granite has with WISE 33.

Speaking of WISE, they and WPTA are really pushing these weather subchannels in promo ads. If any of the Granite people are reading, and I'm sure they are, push the whole digital channel; most people don't have any idea what "point-2 digital" is, they'll think it's on cable.
post #924 of 4216 Old 09-22-2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoToLowPower View Post

1. Like jckrac said, WANE does 5.1 when available. Everybody else is 2.0 (either WPTA or WISE, not both, is supposed to get 5.1 in the future).

Good to know that 5.1 is a possibility, but how do I know if it's "available"? Like I said above, NCIS had a 5.1 logo at the start, but my tuner indicated 2.0 only.

Quote:

2. Tough question. FOX 28's reportedly been received in Allen County, which is well out of the coverage area (for that matter, so are Huntington and Waterloo). All I can say is go for the highest elevation and the highest gain antenna you can get (I use an Antennas Direct XG91 which is 15dB IIRC). Note that WSJV's digital signal is still on low power. It's worth a shot, since WFFT 55 will go neither full power nor HDTV until they get some ownership that will invest into the station's DTV operations like Granite has with WISE 33.

Good to know. The 91XG looks great, but I wonder if it's worth it to spend $80 for a *chance* at picking up one new station.
post #925 of 4216 Old 09-25-2005, 02:08 AM

Just as a heads up...I just bought a notebook with an athlon 64 3400+ processor, so for shits and giggles, I installed the drivers and downloaded the software to capture video from off my Comcast Motorolla 6412 Dual tuner DVR. Turns out that Comcast has not turned on any 5C encryption yet so I can archive everything, including HD from HBO/SHO/Starz or whatever, without any problem. Firmware is 9.19. I doubt this will last forever but this is the way things should be, considering how much I do pay for Cable.
post #926 of 4216 Old 09-25-2005, 04:35 PM

I take back the bit I said a few posts back about people confusing the weather subchannels for cable; I only just noticed that one of the ads mentions that they're free and over the air. On another note, 21-2 has been airing ABC News Now since right before Hurricane Rita and hasn't switched back yet.
post #927 of 4216 Old 09-25-2005, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckrac View Post

In response to the question of the Colts game not being in HD, Goldrich hit it on the head. It was never scheduled to be in HD. The next Colt game scheduled to be in HD is October 2nd against the Titans.

We got about 20 phone calls about the game not being in HD last week. Sometimes human error creeps in, but that wasn't the case.

When you say that the Colts games were "not scheduled in HD", does that mean:
1) that it is not even taped in HD for broadcast anywhere,
2) or that CBS did not provide a HD feed for out time zone or area,
3) or that WANE chose to show it in SD instead of HD?

I am just trying to figure out the pattern because the guide or TitanTV is not always reliable about HD in our area. It sure would be nice if you could explain WHY so that I know what to expect in the future also. Thanks! Sorry I don't get it yet!

Also I have been working on getting WSJV out of South Bend as well. I live near Churubusco just inside Allen County. I bought a CM4228, installed it on my 2 story roof with a 10 ft mast but have not been able to dial it in yet. I am going to try a Pre-amp next and will keep ya posted on the results. I am approximately 45 miles from the transmitter so I may be pushing it, but it will be worth it to me to dump the lame WFFT FOX "signal"
I emailed them recently and this was their reply:

No, we're still looking at the end of 2006 or the beginning of 2007. Thanks for the e-mail.
Travis Henkaline
Creative Services Director
FOX 55 - WFFT

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 21, 2005 8:30 PM
To: thenkaline@wfft.com
Subject: Re: Another HD question

Hello again it's been over 8 months and I figured I should check back to see if anything has changed, so....
Any plans for WFFT to begin HD broadcast this season, or at least to increase the digital signal power?

Thanks!
post #928 of 4216 Old 09-25-2005, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laggytoad View Post

I emailed them recently and this was their reply:

No, we're still looking at the end of 2006 or the beginning of 2007. Thanks for the e-mail.
Travis Henkaline
Creative Services Director
FOX 55 - WFFT

If Mr. Henkaline is talking about a power increase, that timetable is well past the FCC deadline for markets #101+ to carry out construction of full-power facilities (July 1, 2006). That means WFFT might lose their right to protection from interference. With a 1000kW signal planned according to the FCC, I don't know if that would make any difference, but it sounds rather serious.
post #929 of 4216 Old 09-25-2005, 08:45 PM

[quote=laggytoad]When you say that the Colts games were "not scheduled in HD", does that mean:
1) that it is not even taped in HD for broadcast anywhere,
2) or that CBS did not provide a HD feed for out time zone or area,
3) or that WANE chose to show it in SD instead of HD?

I am just trying to figure out the pattern because the guide or TitanTV is not always reliable about HD in our area. It sure would be nice if you could explain WHY so that I know what to expect in the future also. Thanks! Sorry I don't get it yet!

QUOTE]

When the Colts are not scheduled in HD, it means CBS has limited resources as far as number of trucks, network capabilities, etc. to broadcast the game in HD.

I assure you that if the game was available in HD, we would have broadcast it in HD.

I can't speak for Titan TV, but when I want to know what CBS is in fact planning on broadcasting in HD, I go to cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports and following the whats on CBS sports link this weekend. You'll see that there are 4 games (1 being the Colts finally) are scheduled to be in HD next week.

So, nobody saw the game in HD because CBS never planned to air it and thus the resources (i.e. a digital production truck) were never on site. WANE (or any other affiliate) has any say on which games are in HD.

But they are scheduled to be on against the Titans next week.
post #930 of 4216 Old 09-26-2005, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Good to know that 5.1 is a possibility, but how do I know if it's "available"? Like I said above, NCIS had a 5.1 logo at the start, but my tuner indicated 2.0 only.

Just to answer my own post. I got an email from the fine folks at WANE and it was explained that they don't have the equipment to pass on 5.1 primetime that is delayed. Once DST is over (end of October) all the CBS 5.1 content will be passed on.

I received the 5.1 football broadcast this weekend, it looked and sounded great.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page