Fort Wayne, IN - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 4216 Old 11-03-2005, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ryan, thank u for all the good info ...
Sure will be anxious to see if u get a reply to the letter regarding WFFT (55) and HDTV. I live in SW Fort Wayne and would love to be able to receive WSJV in HD, but if u were not able to receive it with your 4228 and 7775 per-amp, I doubt if i will be able to either. I presume u have your antenna mounted outside and a rotor..??

I would like to hear from anyone in SW Fort Wayne using UHF HDTV antennas. I would like to know what to expect from this area..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4216 Old 11-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Just wonder if anyone in Fort Wayne is receiving WIPB in HD and what antenna is being used...I live in SW Fort Wayne, and am deciding what antenna to use ... need help... currently i am using a 4 stack bow-tie in my attic... i get Fort Wayne stations ok..but hope to get WSJV Fox and WIPB from Marion.
post #993 of 4216 Old 11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I suspect one of my biggest problems are the huge trees in my neighbors yard that are in direct LOS of the WSJV tower ( or any SB tower for that matter). Yes, my antenna is installed outside on the tip of my eaves making the antenna height about 25ft or so. Right now I don't have a rotor. I would really like one, but I just spent around 190 on all the stuff related to my antenna install, so the extra 60 or so is kinda to much right now. Maybe later on. (My actual total is more than that, but i'm not counting most of the 500 ft roll of RG6QS, compression connectors, cable straps, etc., I'm planning on installing a couple antennas for my friends and only charging for parts, so i'll make my money back). I doubt I'd get the PBS from Muncie from my location, but it's worth a shot at manually rotating my antenna to see what I can get.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #994 of 4216 Old 11-06-2005, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Haven't done any searching yet but I'm guessing the storms last night had some significant effects on the transmitting ability of all the F.W. stations.

I'm unable to get any of them including the analog stations.

First thing I did was to check that my antenna was still on the roof and pointed in the right direction and it still is. Only possibility is that the pre-amp mounted on the mast got fried. This very well could be it too.

Anyone else having the same problem?

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #995 of 4216 Old 11-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vereekej View Post

Haven't done any searching yet but I'm guessing the storms last night had some significant effects on the transmitting ability of all the F.W. stations.

I'm unable to get any of them including the analog stations.

First thing I did was to check that my antenna was still on the roof and pointed in the right direction and it still is. Only possibility is that the pre-amp mounted on the mast got fried. This very well could be it too.

Anyone else having the same problem?

Just checked both the analog and digital transmitters at WANE. Both of them did take a power hit around 3 this morning, but did as they are programmed to do and auto-restarted and were off all of about 30 seconds.

I know that the HD was on the air this afternoon as I was talking with a viewer who was watching football on it earlier today.
post #996 of 4216 Old 11-07-2005, 05:04 AM

Found the problem.

The surge protector that the pre-amp is plug into was tripped, therefore not outputting any power.

I think I'm going to try disconnecting the pre-amp today though and see what I get. Lately I haven't been able to lock on to WPTA too well. I'm thinking that maybe the signal is too strong with the pre-amp and it's messing up the receiver from processing it properly.

Sucks that I was too stupid to figure this out yesterday. Would have liked to watch the steelers packers game in HD.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #997 of 4216 Old 11-07-2005, 06:15 AM

Glad you found the problem. I found it odd you lost all the channels.
post #998 of 4216 Old 11-08-2005, 06:30 PM

Weather graphics are getting in the way of HD again. WANE defeats WPTA & WISE; at least they kept their automatic switcher on, sparing NCIS viewers from missing any action because of damned weather updates (Really, Sandy Thomson got cut off mid-sentence!). I swear, when analog goes away, the stations better use the weather subchannels and leave the main programs alone. As I type this, WISE switched to HD for My Name Is Earl. Oh well, I guess it beats watching WNDU; their weather graphics plus stretch-o-vision really make for a hellish viewing experience.
post #999 of 4216 Old 11-08-2005, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoToLowPower View Post

Weather graphics are getting in the way of HD again. weather graphics plus stretch-o-vision really make for a hellish viewing experience.

stretch-o-vision heh heh

There is nothing worse than having a program that I am recording in HD for archival get all messed up by a lame weather crawl, or interrupted for a non-emergency "breaking" weather flash. It really ruins a program and looks ridiculous when you go back to watch the program a couple of months later.
Maybe some genius can come up with a quick non-intrusive way to tell viewers to turn to a sub-channel for announcements or breaking weather info...maybe slip the message in quickly instead of running the usual self-promo ads they run for their news or weather teams.

oh well. nice to dream. rant over.
post #1000 of 4216 Old 11-08-2005, 08:27 PM

You can thank the people of the Indy thread for the term stretch-o-vision, but it looks to have finally died in that market save for their NBC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laggytoad View Post

Maybe some genius can come up with a quick non-intrusive way to tell viewers to turn to a sub-channel for announcements or breaking weather info...maybe slip the message in quickly instead of running the usual self-promo ads they run for their news or weather teams.

Exactly what I was thinking. I mean, we all know when the news is on, right? If they can do the whole Emergency Broadcast System deal, why not devise a system so that when bad weather strikes, it'll use local promo time to flash a warning for specific counties to tune in to the subchannel. I guess we can only wait until the shutoff occurs. By then, the stations will probably have HD character generators and use those to pervert the picture (WPTA sometimes overlays station ID over the HD channel, so they might already own one).
post #1001 of 4216 Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

FCC rules will catch up with stations that don't interrupt their main feeds ... then again FCC rules pretty much don't require EAS for anything except 'national emergencies' (we've never had one - even 911 didn't generate a national emergency message) and of course tests. Right now weather alerts are voluntary ... but if stations don't voluntarily comply expect the suggestion be less than voluntary in the future. Public safety is a hot button issue.

HD technology will catch up and you will see crawls. Even if they use the sub-channels for the details I expect nasties on the main screen to be visible enough to attract attention to the content on the subchannel. But I doubt if many stations will take the sub-channel only route since they don't want you to tune away from the show to any other channel. They want you to see the commercials on their main channel. (Which are rarely interupted by anything.) Voluntary will continue to work.

BTW: Never forget that the programming is just filler between the commercials that attempts to keep you tuned in long enough to see a few commercials. In the end, stations don't want you recording programs to watch again and program providers would rather sell you their DVDs if you want "unblemished" viewing, so any complaints they have about interuptions and graphics are light. But I digress ...

JL
post #1002 of 4216 Old 11-11-2005, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossplaya View Post

Just as a heads up...I just bought a notebook with an athlon 64 3400+ processor, so for shits and giggles, I installed the drivers and downloaded the software to capture video from off my Comcast Motorolla 6412 Dual tuner DVR. Turns out that Comcast has not turned on any 5C encryption yet so I can archive everything, including HD from HBO/SHO/Starz or whatever, without any problem. Firmware is 9.19. I doubt this will last forever but this is the way things should be, considering how much I do pay for Cable.

This is a quote from back in September. I just got my htpc set up and am able to capture video from the Comcast Motorola 6412 on all channels except WPTA Digital feed on channel 231. I am using the firewire port with the proper drivers, and CapDVHS. I can capture all other HD feeds from HBO, ESPN, DiscoveryHD as well as all of the analog channels including WPTA's analog channel 7, both live and previously recorded.

It appears as though 5c encryption is activated on this channel only, or I am doing something wrong? I am unable to capture any live feed from channel 231 or any previously saved program from channel 231, which is the bulk of my recorded progamming on the 6412.

Can anyone confirm that they are unable/able to capture HD feeds from channel 231?

Thanks in Advance!
post #1003 of 4216 Old 11-16-2005, 07:18 AM

First off- great site. Extremely helpful. I live in Southeast Whitley County. I got a Sony with an HD tuner in it, and use an outdoor antenna that runs through an amp. I get all the Fort Wayne digital channels with the exception of WFFT , 55. Can I get this channel, can I get any other digital channels? Like i said. I get CBS, ABC, and NBC feeds. Thanks for all of your help!
post #1004 of 4216 Old 11-16-2005, 02:12 PM

Pretty much no chance on getting WFFT. And for those that are able to receive it I believe is only 4:3 480p so they're not getting anything that spectacular anyways. You'll have a better chance of getting the Fox station out of S.Bend/Mishawaka area, many here are able to receive it.

post #1005 of 4216 Old 11-16-2005, 08:11 PM

Did anyone loose WANE TV digital today or yesterday. I had a signal that was fairly good but now its gone. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything.
post #1006 of 4216 Old 11-17-2005, 09:48 AM

When I go into my channel analysis, it tells me that 55.1 has a 41 percent signal. Other channels vary from 98% to 89%. I was curious and looked at 16.1 and it was 48% and channel 9.1 (Chicago) was at 40%? Those stations would not come in and read "unlocked", where the ones that did come in say "locked". There are other items to in the analysis, but none of which I understood.
post #1007 of 4216 Old 11-20-2005, 09:32 PM

I just bought a new hd tv with a hd tuner built in. I also bought an RCA ant706 antenna, but I can't get anything with it inside my house (I haven't tried it outside yet). Will this antenna work if I put it outside, or should I take it back and get a better one?

Thanks
post #1008 of 4216 Old 11-20-2005, 09:35 PM

I forgot to mention I live in huntington, and I am trying to get fort wayne locals.
post #1009 of 4216 Old 11-21-2005, 04:10 PM

I tried mounting antenna in attic with no luck, had to put it up on the roof. I am able to get all FW digital channels, that is except for WFFT.

Here is a link to the antenna I'm using.
http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=SPR8800

I'm no longer using an amplifier as the signal stays locked better w/o one.

post #1010 of 4216 Old 11-21-2005, 06:12 PM

Just turned on WPTA-21 for Monday Night Football and it's not in HD.

Anybody know why?
post #1011 of 4216 Old 11-21-2005, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerpete View Post

Just turned on WPTA-21 for Monday Night Football and it's not in HD.

Anybody know why?

Nope, but this is surprising; 21 is almost always in HD unless they feel the need to overlay weather alerts over the SD signal.

Also, has anybody seen the signal regularly go out on WANE's HD receiver? Tonight a "Loss of Input Signal" message showed up at least twice.

Lastly, 15's upgraded their radar (as shown on 15-3). It looks nice; maybe it's one of those VIPIR deals where you can see the cells in 3D. (As far as doppler wars go, you hardly ever see them used to the fullest, like with zoom-ins.) 21's is still offline; maybe they're saving it for their new newsroom (so much for Granite going broke).

EDIT: Looks like I was right; 15's radar can do 3D. Right now it's at such an angle that you can see from South Bend to Toledo to Indy to northern Michigan, and the sweep hand is a funny looking cone.
post #1012 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 09:10 AM

I looked up the stats for MNF tonight, and for the second week in a row, it looks like no to high def... What the heck? WPTA needs to publically explain.

-Aslo, on Friday, I got 55.1 pretty good. the signal strength was near 70. It was short lived though- it exists no more for me...
post #1013 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 10:26 AM

I hope that's not the case. Looking at their schedule on TitanTV, nothing on WPTA is being shown in HD.... that can't really be the case. I'll have my fingers crossed for the game tonight. I didn't really care last week, but tonight.... Colts vs. Steelers better be in HD!
post #1014 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 10:39 AM

On a related note, DirecTV was offering the Cincy/Baltimore game in HD yesterday, but when I flipped on WANE they were showing it in standard definition. Another puzzling thing was last week when Indy played Cincy, the game started in SD with a screen crawl saying that CBS would provide the HD feed upon the conclusion of the Redskins/Oakland game. Why would that matter? Is there some rule/restriction on when CBS affiliates can pass along the HD feed?
post #1015 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'd guess that they can only provide one HD feed at a time from the national CBS to the local affiliates. Once the other game was over, they could then pump the cincy game through in HD.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1016 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Oryan_dunn hit it on the head.

If you noticed 2 weeks ago when the Colts game started the feed flipped to another game, then back to the Colt game later on. That is because they were feeding an early game in HD on the east coast feed that had not yet concluded. Once that game was over, the switch was made.
post #1017 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM

Did we ever hear explanation for why MNF was SD last week? HD was working just fine last night on WPTA so it should be working tonight as well.

post #1018 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDEye View Post

I hope that's not the case. Looking at their schedule on TitanTV, nothing on WPTA is being shown in HD.... that can't really be the case.

It can't. TitanTV is frequently wrong; they think 15's newscasts are in HD.
post #1019 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 06:07 PM

And we have MNF in HD! (Would WPTA really fumble, no pun intended, HD on a Colts game?)
post #1020 of 4216 Old 11-28-2005, 06:11 PM
mxd

What happened? Lost WPTA as soon as the game started!! Anybody else lose it?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page