Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 4216 Old 01-01-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
its on fox

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 4216 Old 01-01-2006, 11:16 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd View Post

Don't the powers that be at channel 15 know what market we're in?

When the teams are from two different conferences the rights go to the visiting team's conference broadcast network-Arizona, NFC, FOX, 55.
post #1083 of 4216 Old 01-01-2006, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WFFT

The away team (Arizona) at home games (Colts) gets TV rights. FOX has NFC coverage so game is on WFFT. Too bad for those used to watching the Colts in HD almost every game this year. Have to watch in crummy OTA analog.

Oops didn't see that this was already posted.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #1084 of 4216 Old 01-01-2006, 02:25 PM

Not only we have to watch in crummy OTA analog 55, but the color on 55 is really bad too.
post #1085 of 4216 Old 01-01-2006, 05:49 PM

The Colts game wasn't available in HD anyway so nobody really missed out on anything, thank goodness.
post #1086 of 4216 Old 01-02-2006, 06:40 AM

All playoff games will be available in HD too, even the games on ABC. Except those that are on FOX for us. Makes for some good HD football weekends.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #1087 of 4216 Old 01-13-2006, 08:37 PM

I sent the following to the GM at WFFT nearly a year ago before Superbowl XXXIX:

====================================================
The biggest sporting event of the year and WFFT-55 doesn't broadcast it in Hi-Def. Considering Comcast has installed their 1 millionth HD box, I think this HD thing might just be a reality and here to stay.

Curious when does 55 plan to make the switch?

and here was his response:

Believe me, we are frustrated as well. However, we are a company of 46 television stations, all in small to mid-size markets, & it is very expensive to convert to HDTV in each market. There are also a limited number of people who can do the conversion, and since virtually every TV station outside of the very largest markets needs their expertise, there is great demand for their services. Our company has decided to start with the larger markets first, because they have the most people affected, and work down from there. We are in the top 1/3 size-wise, so my best guess (and believe me, it is only a guess) is that sometime toward the end of next year is when we would convert. Please don't hold us to that timetable, though. Believe me, I am as anxious, if not more so, than you to have this conversion take place...and soon.

Thanks for writing.

Cordially,

Bob Blacher
Vice-President/General Manager
WFFT-TV/FOX 55
(260) 471-5555
===================================================

Now that I see on their website a lame 2007 date - is it January or December 31st, Bob?, I dove in a little deeper.

WFFT's parent company is Nexstar Broadcasting. Their web site - nexstar.tv (I can't post urls yet) contains a list of the stations they own. I just sent out e-mails to some of their smaller markets inquring about when they are making the switch to HD. Maybe if others can do the same we can post the results and if we get some smaller markets that are switching before us.....sounds like a bus ride to the FCC!!

Alan
post #1088 of 4216 Old 01-13-2006, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nexstar stinks. It stinks to high heaven. If you like TV and live in a Nexstar market, heaven help you...they barely spend enough money to feed the hamsters keeping the analog transmitter running!
post #1089 of 4216 Old 01-14-2006, 01:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_G View Post

.....sounds like a bus ride to the FCC!!

Why? The FCC is pushing for conversion to digital, not HD. As soon as they have a simulcast of whatever they are doing in analog on the air in digital the station is done (as far as the FCC cares).

JL
post #1090 of 4216 Old 01-15-2006, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_G View Post

Now that I see on their website a lame 2007 date - is it January or December 31st, Bob?, I dove in a little deeper.

WFFT's parent company is Nexstar Broadcasting. Their web site - nexstar.tv (I can't post urls yet) contains a list of the stations they own. I just sent out e-mails to some of their smaller markets inquring about when they are making the switch to HD. Maybe if others can do the same we can post the results and if we get some smaller markets that are switching before us

Nice to have another person on the 'no to low power' bandwagon Alan!
In case you hadn't seen it already here is some more info from earlier posts in this forum regarding WFFT and Nexstar:
Clicky Here

I figure we have 3 options...
1) Hope some other HD friendly company buys out WFFT from Nexstar
2) Do nothing and suffer with a horrible picture (if you can even get one)
3) Or be the squeaky wheel and hope we get the grease

So keep up the noise and who knows....we can always hope!

There is another option if you live outside of Fort Wayne, you may be able to receive FOX WSJV 28.1 out of South Bend/Elkhart but you will most likely need a pretty decent tower or mast with a good pre-amp/amp and antenna.
post #1091 of 4216 Old 01-17-2006, 08:48 AM

WFFT's analog reception is getting even worse. I heard they are having more tower problems there. (Probably lost the tinfoil).

While I'm happy to get a strong HD signal from WANE now, I really missed watching my Bears in HD.

We have DirecTV and their digital signal is pretty good. We added the locals, so at least I get a decent picture from WFFT that way.
post #1092 of 4216 Old 01-17-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I concure that WFFT analog is bad. The color saturation seems like it is turned way to high while the contrast (white level) is to low and the brightness (black level) is to high. Even on our cable signal, wfft is full of snow and grain, even when the neighboring channels are crystal clear. With that said, I get a cleaner picture from WFFT from my antenna than I do through our cable signal. It is free from snow and grain, but the color and black/white level problems remain.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #1093 of 4216 Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 PM

Just checked to see what WFFT would look like. Mine is terrible, I can even hear static in the sound right now. Picture doesn't look a whole lot worse than normal but thats not saying much.

OTA reception, no amp on antenna.

post #1094 of 4216 Old 01-17-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, last week while watching NCIS I did not notice any of the short audio dropouts or clicks; the whole hour had great sound. This week, however, the first 15 minutes or so were perfectly fine (usually, the opening musical interlude is peppered with clicks). After those first few minutes, the audio seemed to go south in a hurry. There were constant audio losses where I have to change channels then back to regain audio. Other times it would just start this loud screeching sound and throughout the rest of the relatively normal audio, there were many notable clicks and pops. Were the engineers at WANE testing anything tonight (doubtful)? If not, I don't know why it seems to work great at times, then horrible at others. If it is a problem with how the LG box decodes the MPEG audio stream, I would hope that LG would support the owners of its equipment with a firmware upgrade; otherwise, it may be the last LG product I buy (which would be a shame since their products are otherwise quite good).

post #1095 of 4216 Old 01-21-2006, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed that the PSIP of 21 is no longer up. Is this a sign that they are working the PSIP for 21, and possibly 33?

post #1096 of 4216 Old 01-21-2006, 04:07 PM

I just sent an e-mail to Kevin Martin, chairman of the FCC. Figured if the past chairman can get all exicted about Janet Jackson, maybe the new guy can help us out. Essentially I asked if cable or satellite companies could carry a digital signal from another Fox affiliate until the local affiliate gets its act together.

Alan
post #1097 of 4216 Old 01-21-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Even though it sucks, WFFT has the rights to broadcast the material of FOX in our area, as well as have distribution on cable and satalite networks. Since the digital or HD versions are essentially prettier versions of the exact same programing, the rights of WFFT will prevail. We have enough trouble getting our cable systems to carry the digital counterparts of local digital signals, eg. Mediacom in Auburn still doesn't carry WISE-HD. Or any of the new PBS subchannels.

post #1098 of 4216 Old 01-22-2006, 02:39 PM

Does anyone else notice how the picture of WFFT is off-center (at least on Comcast..)? Watch for centered text at the end of certain commercials, especially.

It'll bug the crap out of you from the first time you notice it.

Pitiful.
post #1099 of 4216 Old 01-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Probably wasn't a problem OTA, but on DTV tonight there was ZERO sound for 24 on WFFT.
post #1100 of 4216 Old 01-23-2006, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

There is some crazy tropo going on right now (11pm).

I got
2-1 (UHF 43) Digital Fox from St. Louis (WTVI-DT) (1MW @ 1106ft)
5-1 (UHF 35) Digital NBC from St. Louis (KSDK-DT) (833kW @ 1112ft)
5-2 NBC Weather Plus
6-1 (UHF 25) Digital ABC from Indy (WRTV-DT) (898kW @ 965ft)
6-2 Some news channel (NC64)

As well as many, many different analog stations from who knows where.

All the while, the only FTWayne stations i get are 21 digital. most of the analogs are pretty bad, and have really bad interference.

And with all this crazy tropo, still can't get fox out of fort wayne, but can get fox from 350+ miles out.

Edit (11:20pm):
It's died off a bit, but now I'm able to pull in:
23-1 (UHF 32) Digital UPN from Marion (WNDY-DT) (1MW @ 889ft)

This is all from my CM 4228 with CM7775 preamp on a poll 10ft off my roof (approx 25ft haat) pointed at roughly 230 degrees. If I had a rotor, I would definitly like to see what I could pull in from Chicago, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc.

Edit (11:30 pm):
New stations
11-1 (UHF 17) Digital CBS from Toledo (WTOL-DT) (735kW @ 863ft)
and this station is from the back of my antenna.

Edit (12:20 pm):
7-1 (UHF 41) Digital ABC from Detroit (WXYZ-DT) (770kW @ 938ft)

post #1101 of 4216 Old 01-23-2006, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post

There is some crazy tropo going on right now (11pm).

I got
2-1 (UHF 43) Digital Fox from St. Louis (WTVI-DT) (1MW @ 1106ft)
5-1 (UHF 35) Digital NBC from St. Louis (KSDK-DT) (833kW @ 1112ft)
5-2 NBC Weather Plus
6-1 (UHF 25) Digital ABC from Indy (WRTV-DT) (898kW @ 965ft)
6-2 Some news channel (NC64)

As well as many, many different analog stations from who knows where. All the while, the only FTWayne stations i get are 21 digital. most of the analogs are pretty bad, and have really bad interference.

And with all this crazy tropo, still can't get fox out of fort wayne, but can get fox from 350+ miles out.

Edit (11:20pm):
It's died off a bit, but now I'm able to pull in:
23-1 (UHF 32) Digital UPN from Marion (1MW @ 889ft)

Ryan, yes, this has been a crazy evening for tropo in the Midwest. Here in Indy this evening, I've watched WSBT-DT, South Bend; WTVG-DT 19, Toledo; several from Dayton and Cincinnati, and virtually all of them from Louisville. Several minutes ago I too had KTVI-DT 43, St. Louis locked in and watching Seinfeld. Fun to look around.

Steve
post #1102 of 4216 Old 01-23-2006, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldrich View Post

Ryan, yes, this has been a crazy evening for tropo in the Midwest. Here in Indy this evening, I've watched WSBT-DT, South Bend; WTVG-DT 19, Toledo; several from Dayton and Cincinnati, and virtually all of them from Louisville. Several minutes ago I too had KTVI-DT 43, St. Louis locked in and watching Seinfeld. Fun to look around.

Steve

If only I'd have know a little in advance, I might have been able to watch 24 in HD from a distance FOX station (eg. KTVI) instead of off WFFT which even over cable was almost completely unwatchable in analog; it had tons of snow with the dark scenes just mush.

post #1103 of 4216 Old 01-23-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting bit, Letterman made a joke about Fort Wayne tonight.

post #1104 of 4216 Old 01-24-2006, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Interesting bit, Letterman made a joke about Fort Wayne tonight.

yeah, my ears perked up when I heard that...too bad the joke died so horribly...although I thought it was pretty funny just for that reason.

Last Sunday and Monday night were a dream come true since I was able to watch 24 in HD from WSJV! But last night it was not even close to coming in for me so it was back to the analog on the old trusty 27" TV. Oh well, I'll just keep hoping for perfect weather every Monday night until I can afford a tower or WFFT starts to care

Any reasons for the weird tropo last night?
I'm pretty new to all of this OTA stuff, is it mainly atmospheric conditions or do other factors affect it?
post #1105 of 4216 Old 01-24-2006, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, its tropospheric ducting that causes distant signals to bounce back down to earth, making them travel far longer than normally possible.

Here is a site that describes it more:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/booty.w...g/ducting.html

And I came across this tropo forcast site:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~dxinfo/tropo.html
This has weather maps forcasting how strong the tropo will be. I'll keep an eye on it on monday nights.

post #1106 of 4216 Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yeah, its tropospheric ducting that causes distant signals to bounce back down to earth, making them travel far longer than normally possible.

Here is a site that describes it more:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/booty.w...g/ducting.html

And I came across this tropo forcast site:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~dxinfo/tropo.html
This has weather maps forcasting how strong the tropo will be. I'll keep an eye on it on monday nights.

Yes,you need a rotor to get in on this action!

Had an unid analog on 45 last nite around 11:00,3abn network.Can't find anything on it.Ideas anyone? Could have been lower/mid Michigan too.
post #1107 of 4216 Old 01-24-2006, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Well, last week while watching NCIS I did not notice any of the short audio dropouts or clicks; the whole hour had great sound. This week, however, the first 15 minutes or so were perfectly fine (usually, the opening musical interlude is peppered with clicks). After those first few minutes, the audio seemed to go south in a hurry. There were constant audio losses where I have to change channels then back to regain audio. Other times it would just start this loud screeching sound and throughout the rest of the relatively normal audio, there were many notable clicks and pops. Were the engineers at WANE testing anything tonight (doubtful)? If not, I don't know why it seems to work great at times, then horrible at others. If it is a problem with how the LG box decodes the MPEG audio stream, I would hope that LG would support the owners of its equipment with a firmware upgrade; otherwise, it may be the last LG product I buy (which would be a shame since their products are otherwise quite good).

oryan,

that must be the LG reciever that you are using. I keep seeing you post about the clicks and such but I never have them. I am using the same antenna setup as you, but I am using a RCA DTC100 reciever and never have problems like you describe accept when the signal is weak.

I have noticed that Fort wayne stations have a lot lower signal than the south bend stations, but I think that is due to south bend having towers with more power than fort wayne does.

diehard
post #1108 of 4216 Old 01-24-2006, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the guys at WANE have narrowed it down to an incompatability between my specific model of receiver and their equipment. They've said that they are still working on a solution, so I'll just hang tight for a while. What's really strange is that sometimes it works perfectly fine on WANE and others it is all messed up. It would make more sense to me if it was either messed up or fine all the time.

post #1109 of 4216 Old 01-24-2006, 06:28 PM

I'm guessing you guys have heard about the WB-UPN merger. I wonder how it's going to affect Fort Wayne, since only UPN is available via OTA (15-2).
post #1110 of 4216 Old 02-05-2006, 11:49 AM

I am considering changing from Comcast to DirectTV because of the lower cost, but first I want to make sure I can get network programming in HD with DirectTV like I do on Comcast.

DirectTV's website is confusing regarding the issue. The link to local programming in their HD section goes to the same page as the general local station availability link. It says local stations are available in Fort Wayne but doesn't say whether they are shown in HD.

Does someone know?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page