Fort Wayne, IN - HDTV - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 4216 Old 01-18-2007, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had problems getting 55.1 for the last few days?? My readings on my TiVo Series 3 was at 70 all the time. But since Tuesday it has been in the 40's and cuts out. Maybe they're going FULL HD!! Ya right....... This is using a outdoor ant. in my apt. complex. When I try an indoor ant. I get 0 for 55.1.

Thanks for any input.

Scott2323
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 4216 Old 01-19-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2323 View Post

Has anyone had problems getting 55.1 for the last few days?? My readings on my TiVo Series 3 was at 70 all the time. But since Tuesday it has been in the 40's and cuts out. Maybe they're going FULL HD!! Ya right....... This is using a outdoor ant. in my apt. complex. When I try an indoor ant. I get 0 for 55.1.

Thanks for any input.

Scott2323

You can get 55 "digital"? Lucky you..
post #1533 of 4216 Old 01-19-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for any input.

Scott2323

WHAAAAAAT 70 on 55.1

you in another world? LOL

I'm still at 0 here north of Columbia City

diehard
post #1534 of 4216 Old 01-20-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks for any input.

Scott2323

I am having the same problem. Just in time for the Bears game. Thanks 55.

Ben
post #1535 of 4216 Old 01-20-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorrell View Post

Ben

What's the point? 480i from our friends at Nexstar.....yawn.
post #1536 of 4216 Old 01-20-2007, 08:42 PM

Does anyone know when FIOS TV will flip their switch on?
Last I heard it was going to be in March or April.
post #1537 of 4216 Old 01-21-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCricket View Post

I have heard February mentioned, as well.
post #1538 of 4216 Old 01-21-2007, 12:04 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Don't they still need to build the "Master Control/Ops" center? If that's the case, it will be quite alot longer than 1st qtr. '07, I'd be amazed if you see anything before '08... but I simply don't know.
post #1539 of 4216 Old 01-22-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

Don't they still need to build the "Master Control/Ops" center? If that's the case, it will be quite alot longer than 1st qtr. '07, I'd be amazed if you see anything before '08... but I simply don't know.

Does anyone know anything further about this? I thought I had seen Feb. or March mentioned in the newspaper several months ago. It will be disappointing if its not until 2008.
post #1540 of 4216 Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 PM
TKO

To add to this... Didn't the news say Verizon hired about 100 people for the FiOS TV installs and they are currently in training? My guess is the 'go live' date is late Q1 or early Q2.

Tom
post #1541 of 4216 Old 01-23-2007, 05:48 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

I think someone around here deserves congratulations for a promotion to Chief Engineer !!!

Way to go...
post #1542 of 4216 Old 01-23-2007, 09:37 AM

I called Verizon today about the FIOS start date. Although I only spoke with a customer service rep., she said she was familiar with the Ft Wayne situation because we will be the first area in the Midwest to get it. She said that she had originally been told 1st quarter, but was now being told the second quarter. Her best quess, for whatever it is worth, is toward the end of the second quarter.
post #1543 of 4216 Old 01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I called Verizon today about the FIOS start date. Although I only spoke with a customer service rep., she said she was familiar with the Ft Wayne situation because we will be the first area in the Midwest to get it. She said that she had originally been told 1st quarter, but was now being told the second quarter. Her best quess, for whatever it is worth, is toward the end of the second quarter.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but I'll still put my money on not seeing much of anything before '08.

I just looked at Verizon's website, and there's little in the way of recruiting installers, let alone operational postions. As far as installation, it's a little more tricky putting glass in, than RG59U, let alone the Network Interface units. Also, unless the "headend" (out of lack of a better term) is run elsewhere (i.e. not in Fort Wayne), there's that whole infrastructure that needs building out...

Again, I don't have any inside info, but from what I understand about other town's getting/or have gotten FIOS TV service, it's not something that happens very quickly at all.

Maybe the CSR thought you were talking about FIOS (voice/data) as opposed to FIOS TV? Believe me, I'd love to see this ASAP, and I don't have a dog in this fight, but... well let's put it this way... you may see WFFT in HD before you have FIOS TV in any kind of general availabilty.

YMMV

[Edit: One other thing that leads me to believe it will take awhile is something one of the guys on AVS forum's said about being involved in converting "The Today Show" studios/control rooms/switching & transmission to HD. He said it takes roughly the same amount of time to do that, as it does to have a baby... I'm guessing that's a little less involved a project than pumping an entire city with state-of-the-art video service]
post #1544 of 4216 Old 01-23-2007, 01:33 PM

The Verizon CSR was specifically talking about FIOS TV. Of course her information is probably being provided to her by the same Verizon PR people that were saying Feb. to the Ft. Wayne newspapers fairly recently.

In the meantime I will be anxiously keeping tabs on the Ft. Wayne "horse race" between FIOS TV and WFFT in HD.
post #1545 of 4216 Old 01-23-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry1700 View Post

In the meantime I will be anxiously keeping tabs on the Ft. Wayne "horse race" between FIOS TV and WFFT in HD.

I'll bet a beer on the FIOS, and I'm drinking it now.

WFFT is down and out. never will change. I heard George W is heading there after his current job to run WFFT. So much for listening to the people.

Come on people, look at the commitment that Verizon has done. How in the heck can you compare that to WFFT????????? DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diehard
post #1546 of 4216 Old 01-23-2007, 09:48 PM

Has anybody else noticed that WANE is now able to put a logo bug in their HD feed? A very miniature "WANE-TV 15" bug came on whenever Letterman came out of break; it was briefly center-screen then reappeared where the CBS HD bug is, like it was automated. I wonder if this is all part of a plan for HD news in the future or just a way to deflower the HD feed with weather graphics. (Maybe HD Wheel/Jeopardy?)
post #1547 of 4216 Old 01-24-2007, 07:22 AM
TKO

I also noticed last weekend WANE was able to scroll the Amber Alert and stay in HD. I don't watch a lot of local tv so maybe they've been doing this for a while.

Tom
post #1548 of 4216 Old 01-26-2007, 10:38 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhorrell View Post

Ben

I'm about 8 miles from the towers. With an el-cheapo Walmart indoor antenna i can pull in 55.1 fairly often. However doesn't stay locked-on for more than 15 minutes at a time. Haven't had any signal problems with the others, kind of amazed how well it all works actually.
post #1549 of 4216 Old 01-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Some NBC HD shows today Sunday January 28th not in HD on Wise-33. Anybody?
post #1550 of 4216 Old 01-28-2007, 09:40 PM

Good evening. New to the forum here. Enjoyed reading all the older posts and expanding my knowledge!

I am a Comcast customer and had a question about HD On-Demand. Are we able to receive the on-demand offerings that are supposed to be in HD actually in HD? Every time I pull up something on-demand that is supposed to be in HD, it isn't. I called customer service for Comcast and was informed that Fort Wayne does not offer HD On-Demand. However, when I've been flipping through channels on my tv's tuner, I'm able to watch what other folks are watching On-Demand and there have been several programs that do come up in HD!!!

What gives? Is my box not working right? Do I have something programmed incorrectly? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!
post #1551 of 4216 Old 01-29-2007, 12:03 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

I don't know if The Fort has HD-On-Demand, but a Comcast CSR is the least likley knowledgeable person you're apt to talk to...

You might chat it up with an independant home theater dealer or installer, after all those are the folks in the trenches actually making this stuff work as it should. If they say it's available, call Comcast and give them some lame reason you need a new box and get it switched out.

Good luck !!
post #1552 of 4216 Old 01-29-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andedan View Post

Good evening. New to the forum here. Enjoyed reading all the older posts and expanding my knowledge!

I am a Comcast customer and had a question about HD On-Demand. Are we able to receive the on-demand offerings that are supposed to be in HD actually in HD? Every time I pull up something on-demand that is supposed to be in HD, it isn't. I called customer service for Comcast and was informed that Fort Wayne does not offer HD On-Demand. However, when I've been flipping through channels on my tv's tuner, I'm able to watch what other folks are watching On-Demand and there have been several programs that do come up in HD!!!

What gives? Is my box not working right? Do I have something programmed incorrectly? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

You absolutely should get HD On Demand - - assuming you have an HD cable box . Seriously, I have watched many HD movies through On Demand. The biggest problem I have run into is that they are like finding a needle in a haystack. If you dig deep enough, you can find more and more. Comcast's On Demand menus absolutely suck! They way the are organized (this week, at least - - they keep switching them around) you can find the HD menu on the second On demand screen. there are several free movies, and there used to also be free movies in the Premium Channels under EncoreHD, but just this week it appears I can't get these anymore (even though the "rental fee" shown at the top of the screen says "$0.00"). They had all three Lord of the Rings in HD on demand earlier this month under TND HD on demand.
post #1553 of 4216 Old 01-30-2007, 08:22 AM

I know that I have an HD cable box because I get all the other stations in HD that I should. I just can't get on demand in HD. I've tried all the movies off the second screen in the menu (that show HD movies) and nothing ever comes up in HD. It's always regular definition. Does anyone else get these programs in HD? Maybe it's my box, but I wonder why other programs come in HD but not the on-demand content?
post #1554 of 4216 Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 PM

Figured it out. After being told by a comcast representative that Fort Wayne doesn't have HD on demand, I called back and talked to a different rep. She was very helpful and had me go through some setup stuff on my box. However, she couldn't figure it out. After I got her off the phone, I played around with it a bit myself and now I have HD on demand....it was a setting on the box. BTW, if you'd like to mess around with your settings, turn your box off, then press the menu button. It has several diff things you can play around with per the on screen guide. Good luck!
post #1555 of 4216 Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Congrats !

BTW - Was Comcast responsible for setting up the box in the first place or did you pick it up at thier office? I think you know what I'm getting at....

In any event, glad to hear you're up and running.
post #1556 of 4216 Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM

I just setup an HD tuner card so that I can record the Superbowl in HD this weekend. I'm wondering if anyone here has noticed any difference between OTA picture quality compared to Comcast's rebroadcast of the local HD stations? I haven't found the perfect OTA antenna yet and the snow on my roof will keep me from trying any other antennas in the near future. I noticed that Comcast combines 3 to 5 subchannels on one broadcast channel, so that's why I'm wondering if they downgrade the bitrates for the HD feeds.
post #1557 of 4216 Old 01-31-2007, 11:24 AM
Kib
AVS Special Member

You'll get the same "downgrade" OTA. Subbies are carried OTA as well.

From what I've seen, not much difference between HD OTA and Comcast's feed.

[Edit: the only way Comcast would be better is if they were getting thier feed over glass to the headend, however with rate-shaping it would likely be a wash]
post #1558 of 4216 Old 01-31-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kib View Post

Congrats !

BTW - Was Comcast responsible for setting up the box in the first place or did you pick it up at thier office? I think you know what I'm getting at....

In any event, glad to hear you're up and running.

Oh yeah, I just picked up the box downtown so it must've been screwed up from the beginning. I just think it's funny that you can talk to a customer service rep from a company and they tell you they don't offer the product that you are already getting!!!
post #1559 of 4216 Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Kib
AVS Special Member

Just another Comcast Comedy Classic !!!!

SFX:Wha-Wha-Wha-Wha-Whaaa
post #1560 of 4216 Old 02-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameraready View Post

I just setup an HD tuner card so that I can record the Superbowl in HD this weekend. I'm wondering if anyone here has noticed any difference between OTA picture quality compared to Comcast's rebroadcast of the local HD stations? I haven't found the perfect OTA antenna yet and the snow on my roof will keep me from trying any other antennas in the near future. I noticed that Comcast combines 3 to 5 subchannels on one broadcast channel, so that's why I'm wondering if they downgrade the bitrates for the HD feeds.

From my understanding of true HD, that is 1080i with 5.1 surround sound wide screen format, OTA stations do not have enough bandwidth to broadcast all 4 alloted channels and broadcast true HD. Therefore, they have to drop some of there channels to broadcast true HD. That was what happened to channel 39. They originally started broadcasting a HD feed (which gotten BORING because it was the same over and over) from New York that was HD. They could only broadcast two channels. When they dropped the HD feed from PBS, then they went to 4 channels and no true HD. Whereas channel 34 PBS out of SB still has the true HD channels as well as others that only broadcast on two of the alloted four channels.

My guess (and probably a good one, if someone from CBS, WANE, can correct me) that the OTA broadcast will be true to HD than any of the other ones, that is DirectTV or Comcast. I left out Dish because they pass the signal on without any degridation.

diehard
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page