Fort Wayne, IN - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4216 Old 01-16-2004, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, I only get 36.01 when the moon is full and Mars is in the house of Zanzibar.... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4216 Old 01-18-2004, 06:53 AM

Anyone notice how horrible the sound has been on 40.01 lately. A couple days ago the sound was off by about two seconds compared to the picture.
post #183 of 4216 Old 01-18-2004, 08:28 PM

BTW, Stellar job tonight for you guys at WANE. Even though there was nothing you guys could have done about the final outcome, the game was immensely better than last Sunday.
post #184 of 4216 Old 01-19-2004, 05:44 AM
mkj

As far as the digital technical aspect from WANE, we consider yesterday's telecast to be pretty much perfect from the local end. CBS had some minor problems, but everything looked beautiful. Note to all you audio fanatics, yesterday's game aired in Dolby 5.1. So, if you had a Dolby digital receiver to listen to the audio, you would have experienced awesome sound.

The game itself was disappointing!!

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #185 of 4216 Old 01-19-2004, 08:18 AM

Hey mkj, can you ask CBS to make sure they are broadcasting 100% in Hi-Def? You could really tell when they went over to a 480i camera (like on the sidelines). :-)
post #186 of 4216 Old 01-19-2004, 10:00 AM
mkj

The push is to obviously switch everything over to high definition, such as cameras and programs. It really does take time and lots of capital to make the complete switch. So, as time goes on, more and more will be available in high definition. Eventually all graphics and cameras used by the network will be HD.

To prove my point, tomorrow night will be the first time ever that the President's State of the Union address will be available in HD from the networks. WANE will carry it in HD.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #187 of 4216 Old 01-19-2004, 12:27 PM

The only thing that annoyed me during the whole game (and those of us here that were watching the game were wondering the same thing) was why the director kept punching to the camera that was ALWAYS fogged over.

Other than that, it was a joy to watch. Now if we can get Dolby surround sound theater into where we were "monitoring" the game, we'd be set. Too bad the Super Bowl means nothing to me anymore!
post #188 of 4216 Old 01-20-2004, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The dolby 5.1 mix was a pleasant surprise. Having the sounds of the fans coming out of the surround channels gave a really good immersive effect. The problem we had with pixelation for the last games seems to be fixed. There still was some slight pixelation in fast action shots, but that is a problem inherent to 1080i.

Can't wait for the Superbowl!! The last hd football game of the year

jckrac,

The camera that had been fogged over was very annoying. Don't understand why they couldn't just wipe off the lens with a towel or something, I would hope that the fogging of the lens wasn't an internal problem in the camera.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #189 of 4216 Old 01-20-2004, 01:33 PM

Doubtful it was an internal problem with the camera. We've had a similar problem with the mast cam on one of the live trucks. As far as continuing to take that shot, probably just a force of habit. Every director I've ever seen falls into that trap once in a while. But you'd think after doing it 6-7 times, he or she would stop.
post #190 of 4216 Old 01-28-2004, 06:52 PM
mkj

What are the feelings on program guides provided by the stations as part of digital?

Is the WANE-DT programming guide showing up properly on your receivers (if your receiver is equipped with the option)?

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #191 of 4216 Old 01-29-2004, 09:46 AM

The program guides are great. I believe however that since my receiver is also a Directv sat receiver as well that it gets the program information from the satellite signal. i.e. I get the program guide info for WFFT, which I am unable to receive.

I don't think that WANE is broadcasting their programming guide as of yet, at least I'm not receiving it. When they do begin to broadcast their program guide I would anticipate that they will also remap their channels to 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 since many people refer to WANE as simply channel 15.

Both WPTA and WISE are remapping their channels to correspond with their NTSC channel numbers.

When purchasing HT equipment remember that it's always easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.
post #192 of 4216 Old 01-29-2004, 06:18 PM
mkj

WANE is currently broadcasting a program guide. We have at this time decided not to re-map ourselves to channel 15 for many reasons. But a program guide is being transmitted. Unfortunately, the DirecTV receivers with HD get program information from DirecTV, and not the PSIP of the broadcaster.

The last couple days, I have noticed a problem with the guide and am working with the manufacturer of the equipment for a resolution to the problem.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #193 of 4216 Old 01-29-2004, 06:21 PM
mkj

WANE-DT is now on Comcast. I do know that a deal was worked out late today to allow Comcast to carry WANE-DT. Now Comcast HD customers can see the Super Bowl in HD.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #194 of 4216 Old 01-30-2004, 06:32 AM

That's great for the Comcast customers. Now if only WANE would put out a strong enough signal that I could get a picture 10 miles from the towers. I get ABC and NBC fine and I get decent analog from WANE, but I only see HD WANE once in a great while. I so mad that I'm going to miss the Super Bowl in HD.
post #195 of 4216 Old 01-30-2004, 09:28 AM

Mark Maple,

I can receive WANE pretty regularly now (I've watched the two HD Colt's games with no dropouts) with a directional outdoor antenna and a 12 db amp, about a $100 setup. I'm listed on antennaweb as 22 miles from the towers. Granted WANE's signal strength is the weakest of them all (not including WFFT's pathetic signal) but I can get it, at least until spring when all the trees get leaves again?

However if you don't have an outdoor antenna it may be difficult. And I wouldn't suggest going outside to install one today.

I will be watching Sunday's game in glorious HD!

BTW-- CBS HD is now available on D*, but good luck getting the waiver. FOX EDTV will be added soon as well, but once again good luck.

post #196 of 4216 Old 01-30-2004, 10:11 AM

I have an 8 bow-tie roof-top antenna and a roof-top channelmaster amp. I do have trees behind me. Like I said, I get NBC and ABC in fine. I may get desperate Sunday and try to scale the roof, but they sounds like a bad idea this time of year. Maybe I will get lucky and Sunday will be the one day of the week that I get a strong enough signal, but I doubt it.

Also, has anyone been receiving ABC without sound? I tuned in a few times over the last week and haven't been getting any sound. I haven't checked my signal strength this week, but it had been around 77.
post #197 of 4216 Old 01-30-2004, 12:36 PM
mkj

I live 10 miles from WANE and I can pick up the station perfectly. I have a 4 bow antenna in the attic and a simple channel master amp. Nothing expensive. I pick up all the channels except 36. I would definitely check out your antenna. The signal is getting to you and much further. WANE also has receivers sitting 40 miles away watching 31-3 and they pick us up very well.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #198 of 4216 Old 02-01-2004, 11:05 AM

Well I braved the roof this morning and played with the antenna. The last time that I was up there I didn't have anyone checking signal strength and WANE-HD wasn't on the air. Today, I actually hit a signal strength of 100 for WANE but I had to adjust from that because our analog reception was unacceptable for our bedroom TV. Now I am getting a fairly consistent 77-93 signal strength. Just in the last couple of minutes though it drops to 0 once in a while. Hopefully the Super Bowl will come in strong tonight.

I find it interesting that my CBS signal strength bounces around so much. My NBC signal is at 77 and never seems to change. My ABC signal is at 100 and never seems to change. And of course my FOX signal is a consistent 0!

Anyone having trouble with sound on ABC (21-1)? My signal strength is 100 but I am getting no sound. I do get sound on 21-2.
post #199 of 4216 Old 02-01-2004, 12:35 PM
mkj

Fortunately WANE-DT has been on the air all the time since October, 2003. It sound like you have some antenna issues still. We have been monitoring the transmission from many areas in and around the city and have been very happy with the quality. The Super Bowl will look awesome today in 1080i. I will be making sure of that.

As far as WPTA-DT, I pick them up very well and the audio is always good.

Hopefully everyone figured out what is going on with 31-2. If you haven't, look at the channel.

Mark Johnson
WAVY/WVBT Engineering
post #200 of 4216 Old 02-01-2004, 02:19 PM

And for those of you with surround sound, enjoy the Dolby 5.1 audio. The switch was flipped at 2 this afternoon.
post #201 of 4216 Old 02-02-2004, 08:59 AM

Gotta love the 5.1 audio!!

post #202 of 4216 Old 02-02-2004, 06:08 PM

I haven't been getting audio on 21-1 either. I haven't for a few weeks now and I'm not sure what is going on.
post #203 of 4216 Old 02-02-2004, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
So what ATSC tuners are you all using? I've had my HD set for about 6 months and am getting ansy and want to watch some true HD, especially now that the local channels are HD. Also, how happy are you with your tuner?
Thanks,
Ryan

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #204 of 4216 Old 02-03-2004, 05:43 AM

Caleb, I think we have the same HD receiver, Samsung SIR TS-160. I haven't received audio on 21-1 for a few weeks either. 21-2 audio comes in fine. I don't suppose we have any engineers from WPTA looking in on this thread.
post #205 of 4216 Old 02-03-2004, 10:27 AM

I'm using the Sony sat hd-300. It's been the best tuner that I've had. I had the Sammy 160 but it only lasted 3 weeks and locked up daily. The Sony has only locked up about 4 times since November which can easily be remedied by hitting the reset button on the front of the receiver. If you look in the HDTV hardware forum I think you will see that the Sony/LG stb's are generally the most popular, but there are quite a few people that have Sammys and Hughes too.

Having the ability to receive D* HD programming and ATSC is what sold me on this receiver. The downside is the price $699 a little salty considering I already had to spend 2k on a television. But for me and the wife HD football makes it all worth while.

Jason

post #206 of 4216 Old 02-03-2004, 02:14 PM

Vereekej:

Seeing that football is over, are you a college basketball fan as well? I don't think we have broadcasted a basketball game yet, so I am looking forward to it.
The sound here was awesome for the Super Bowl, and we were not even listening through anything other than the tv.
post #207 of 4216 Old 02-03-2004, 03:36 PM

Yes, I do watch some college basketball. I've been able to watch a few games on ESPN-HD and they were great. HDNET also will carry college b-ball games from time to time. ESPN will be carrying the big ten tourney in HD and I'm looking forward to that.

The 5.1 sound for football is great, the surrounds don't get a whole lot of action but provide some great ambient sound that gives you the feeling of being at the game.

I'm pretty much addicted to HD, SD just can't hold a candle to it.

post #208 of 4216 Old 02-06-2004, 06:14 AM

Anyone know when WPTA will be able to pass 5.1 audio?

The HD movies they show are great but could be even better with the 5.1 sound.

post #209 of 4216 Old 02-06-2004, 04:30 PM

I just wanted to check something with the rest of you guys. I have noticed lately that NBC (WISE)'s HD broadcast's have had sidebars on them. I just noticed it last night on ER. I'm going to check it out more tonight, but wanted to see if you were all seeing that also or if it looks like it might be my samsung reciever. I talked to MarkMaple, since he has the same receiver and he is seeing the same thing. The picture still looks good, but I'm just seeing the sidebars, I don't see them on the news and local commericial feeds though, so I'm confused. The WPTA issue that we were having with the audio not coming through appears to be a software compatibility issue that they are going to try to resolve. Thanks for any info you guys have.
post #210 of 4216 Old 02-06-2004, 05:10 PM

ceconl, I called Samsung tonight. They indicate that the problem lies on the WPTA side. Hopefully the engineer that you exchanged emails with will find out something.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page