Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5454 Old 06-23-2005, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The deadline for full power for the Springfield market "Big 4" affiliates is July 1, 2005.

Send complaints to the FCC DTV task force chairman, Rick Chessen.
rchessen@fcc.gov
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5454 Old 06-23-2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSS View Post

I sent e-mail to KOLR asking if they will be turning the power up July 1st, the reply I received from David Smith is, we plan to be full power HD by March next year.

Nine more months of waiting for CBSHD.

I think you might be confused. KOLR has no intention of going HD until they are made to. We are only talking digitial here. Big difference.

When I have spoken with KOLR and their "reporters" during various interviews, they all have stated their parent company will not spend (and even budget) the money for HD.
post #273 of 5454 Old 06-23-2005, 07:53 PM

Looks like KSFX has increased their power. Before I could only get 35-40 on signal strength, but now it's in the mid 60s like KOLR. Though not HD, at least the digital signal is stronger. KSPR is still weak, but hopefully that also changes on July 1st.
post #274 of 5454 Old 06-24-2005, 01:09 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. KOLR in HD next year? Umm doubt it. Also make sure if the stations miss a deadline that you file a complaint with the FCC. These complaints will go into record and be brought up when stations have to renew their license.
post #275 of 5454 Old 06-24-2005, 10:05 AM

The short answer I received said( We are currently broadcasting low power digital and plan to be full power HD by March next year.) from David Smith KOLR.

I think the key word in there is plan.

Also THX10, I don't think the FCC will ever force HD, only digital.
post #276 of 5454 Old 06-24-2005, 10:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

The short answer I received said( We are currently broadcasting low power digital and plan to be full power HD by March next year.) from David Smith KOLR.

I think the key word in there is plan.

Also THX10, I don't think the FCC will ever force HD, only digital.

KOLR 10 never plans to go HD unless they are forced to is what he meant.
post #277 of 5454 Old 06-25-2005, 09:32 AM

Correct, that is what I meant.

I cant find my email from earlier communication from KOLR about HD, but I mentioned them earlier in this thread.

The bottom line is, the community gets hurt (or those of us that want, desire, or need HD) because they are just too damn cheap and dont care. Though I do remember that David Smith expressed frustration about who he works for.
post #278 of 5454 Old 06-25-2005, 10:38 AM

Nexstar is the problem in my opinion,it's not our local channel employees. I think they would all like to see their channel doing HI-DEF.

I think we will probably see HD from all our local channels some time next year because the tv market place will force them to.

Once you have watched HD, it is very hard to watch SD again.I'll bet alot of people that has bought new HDTV'S have never saw an HD program on their new TV yet. They probably don't know how to get an HD channel or think all programming is HD just because of their new tv.(Does this make since,sometimes I think away to much and don't know how to say it?)I'm also getting kinda old,it's 40 years since I went to school so if I make alot of spelling mistakes on here don't think anything about it.
post #279 of 5454 Old 06-25-2005, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Nexstar is the problem in my opinion,it's not our local channel employees. I think they would all like to see their channel doing HI-DEF.

I think we will probably see HD from all our local channels some time next year because the tv market place will force them to.

Once you have watched HD, it is very hard to watch SD again.I'll bet alot of people that has bought new HDTV'S have never saw an HD program on their new TV yet. They probably don't know how to get an HD channel or think all programming is HD just because of their new tv.(Does this make since,sometimes I think away to much and don't know how to say it?)I'm also getting kinda old,it's 40 years since I went to school so if I make alot of spelling mistakes on here don't think anything about it.

That's the way most people are. It's the stupid "shown in hi-def" logos that they run before shows that confuse people IMO.
post #280 of 5454 Old 06-27-2005, 09:31 AM

I kinda like the way FOX promotes nascar in HD,it might cause more people to put pressure on Fox27 to do Hi-Def. I'm just happy the rest of the races this year will be in HD from NBC and TNT. Thanks KY3 if you read this, for doing HD for about 4 years now I think.
post #281 of 5454 Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I kinda like the way FOX promotes nascar in HD,it might cause more people to put pressure on Fox27 to do Hi-Def. I'm just happy the rest of the races this year will be in HD from NBC and TNT. Thanks KY3 if you read this, for doing HD for about 4 years now I think.

Fox is owned by the same company here as CBS, they are very anti HD.
post #282 of 5454 Old 06-27-2005, 02:00 PM

Has anyone contacted Nexstar Broadcasting direct? I emailed KOLR about HDTV yesterday and they responded today that it will be the middle of next year before they are HDTV capable. This is soooo frustrating that one company can hold several markets hostage on the ability to get High Definition. It's OK that they don't want to pay for their stations going HD, it's their ability to keep me from getting it from sources that are available to provide it to me.

If anyone has an email address into Nexstar Broadcasting, I would appreciate it. Has anyone called them direct?

Does sending an email to the fcc have any effect? Surely they are aware of Nexstar Broadcasting and their antics in all of their markets.

I think it is kind of funny that KOLR used to say in their reply emails that it will happen when consumer demand is there. I would love to know how many emails they receive a day that ask the HDTV question. I know that I am sending a quick email to them each time something comes on that I want to watch in HDTV, that is not available due to them. I encourage you all to do the same. Let's make sure that they continue to hear from us.
post #283 of 5454 Old 06-28-2005, 03:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwb2 View Post

... If anyone has an email address into Nexstar Broadcasting, I would appreciate it. Has anyone called them direct?

Here's Nexstar's contact info:
http://nexstar.tv/about.asp

Quote:
Does sending an email to the fcc have any effect?

Probably more than sending one to Nexstar. I would email the station and Nexstar and "CC:" it to:
rchessen@fcc.gov
post #284 of 5454 Old 06-28-2005, 10:13 AM

I couldn't seem to find an e-mail address to Nextar,but I did send the FCC one and told them what I thought.

Thanks arxaw for the info.
post #285 of 5454 Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM

I just recently bought a home in SE springfield, near the Battlefield Mall. I would like to purchase a new antenna to put in my attic to receive digital stations. I currently have a 30yr old antenna up there and can get KOZK at 100% and KYTV fluctuates around 65-85-0. KSFX can be around 60% with enough work with the placement. I recently went over and talked to the fellas at Stereo One and they recommended the Antennacraft CCS-1025 antenna for my attic. They said I should be able to pick up a good signal on all of the channels, and even some of the Fayetteville stations with it. What my question is...... I see a lot of you use a UHF only uni-directional antenna. To my knowledge the CCS-1025 is a bi or multi-directional VHF/UHF. Is that why the guy I talked to said I might be able to pick up the Fayetteville stations. Also, I live in an area with many large trees. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I would like to avoid the antenna on the roof if at all possible, but if I have to, what would be the most attractive and functional one. I really am glad I found this forum and I agree that it is pretty weak that 3 of the 4 major networks in our area are operating like a pirate radio station in terms of signal strength. I was really bummed when I bought my Sony HDTV and found out only KY3 and KOZK were the only two with HD.
post #286 of 5454 Old 06-28-2005, 04:01 PM

I use a CM 4228 in the attic and I get 95 on NBC and PBC 65 on FOX and CBS and 0 on ABC. But that is because it is in the wrong direction and I don't want to install a rotor.

Stereo one is full of it, and I have come to never believe anything they say. You won't get Fayetville channels from where you are. I have tried a high powered directional antenna and couldn't get anything and I live near the the 60 and 65 intersection on top of a hill so not too far from you. You don't need VHF yet in springfield unless KOLR gets DT-10 in the end. you only need VHF if you want analog channels like 3 and 10 but you can get both those in digital right now using UHF.
post #287 of 5454 Old 06-28-2005, 04:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

KOLR-DT is eventually going back to VHF ch 10, but most UHF antennas will also pick up highband VHF (channels 7-13) no problem.
post #288 of 5454 Old 06-28-2005, 05:03 PM

mspin,

do you have yours in your attic or on the rooftop? I was thinking of going with the 42XG or the 91XG from antennasdirect

if anybody knows if these might work in an attic let me know...

thanks,
post #289 of 5454 Old 06-28-2005, 09:38 PM

You can put them in an attic but you do lose about 20 to 50% of signal in an attic depending on the roof. You will need a rotor with those models since they are unidirectional. Where are you trying to get a signal that you would need an 91XG? The springfield towers are only around 17 miles away.

I used a DB4 for awhile and it worked fine in my attic

I installed a Winegard 4400 in a friends attic in ozark and he's pulling in 100 on PBS and NBC and 70s on CBS and FOX. ABC-DT is still on a small antenna over on Trafficway so no signal there.

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_disp...=&PROD=SPR4400

Great deal at $21 also look at the 8 bay for $48
post #290 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 04:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For 45 miles or closer, the CM 4221 is an excellent choice.

For farther away, or for low power stations, the CM 4228 would be better. It is very directional, though, and requires precise aiming.

A good add on for weak stations, multiple TVs or long coax runs is the CM 7777 low noise, high gain preamp. If you're thinking of getting a cheap amp from a bigbox store, don't bother. Most of their db and noise ratings are exaggerated.
post #291 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 11:09 AM

Ok.... looks like I am going to go with the CM 4228 from solidsignal*com. Are they better products than the ones offered at antennasdirect*com.... such as the DB4? Thank you for your help and quick replies. I shouldn't need a rotator for here in Springfield right? I could really care less about ABC right now, especially since they do not have Monday Night Football anymore. Sunday Night Football on NBC will hopefully be HD
post #292 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The DB4 (4bay bowtie) is much more similar to the smaller CM 4221 (also 4bay) than it is to the larger 8bay bowtie CM 4228. From other posts I've read, Channel Master rates the gain for their antennas much more conservatively than other companies. So, strictly going by gain numbers doesn't mean too much when comparing antennas from different companies.

I've read on this forum that the antennasdirect products work pretty well. But the CMs are also very highly rated on this forum. I know firsthand that both the CM 4221 & 4228 are excellent.
post #293 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 12:40 PM

works for me... ordered the 4228

thanks for the advice
post #294 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM

I have a Channel Master Crossfire 3677 attic mounted. I'm in Nixa and pick up very good HD signal from KY3, KLOR10, and PBS. I also get all the SD local channels for Springfield. I can't get WB very well though. I might try a small indoor antenna inline to lock in WB (My wife really wants the Gilmore Girls...ech).

We don't have cable so I went with an antenna that would provide good VHF and UHF reception.
post #295 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 01:21 PM

I received e-mail back from fcc on July 1st deadline.

They say,
To date we have received three waivers from Springfield Mo. stations.(we all know who they are don't we, ha.)Copies are available from our Reference center. If you are interested in commenting on these filings, you may do so by filing comments on our ECFS system accessible from our main web site: www.fcc.gov
post #296 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The only "waiver" I see for KOLR is a special temporary authority (STA) to operate at low power, which expires 7/1/05.

Here's the list of KOLR's applications.

To seach for applications and other station info, go here and enter the station's call letters only.
post #297 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 06:22 PM

Does anyone know if KY3 is going to show Nascar in HD this season? I believe last year they only showed Nascar is SD even though HD was available from NBC.
post #298 of 5454 Old 06-29-2005, 08:15 PM

I am almost certain that all of the Nextel races on NBC will be HD. And if you have TNT-HD some will be on there as well. As for the Busch series I do not know. I know the race at Daytona on Sat night is in HD. At least it is listed that way on TitanTV
post #299 of 5454 Old 06-30-2005, 03:36 AM

I tell you, this is pathetic. With our market ranking (rating) and the population we serve (MSA) one would think that the FCC would deny any exepmtion and that our local stations would actually know what customer service is. IMHO
post #300 of 5454 Old 06-30-2005, 10:53 AM

I sent the FCC another complaint, I dought it will do any good but I feel better. I let them know it's pretty bad in this day and time when people in Canada can see our network programming and we can't.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page