Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 5454 Old 10-25-2005, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello new to this forum and have a couple if questions. I live northwest of Springfield about 20 miles. Receive ky3hd, 21dt, 21hd, 15dt at about a 80 to 90% OTA signal. What about channel 10, 27, 33 are they transmitting a digital signal yet. When I scan for channels no luck. Are they transmitting a very low digital signal or none at all? Great forum have learned a lot from it. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 5454 Old 10-25-2005, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They are low power; that's why you're having problems.
And their tightwad owners won't increase power until forced to by the FCC.
post #393 of 5454 Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpin View Post

Word of warning....

If you "move" you will no longer recieve wb or upn so if there are any shows on those channels that you watch you will lose them.

As for me, that doesnt really matter since I can pick up UPN with my OTA. Other than the Cardinals games (for my wife) there isnt anything on those stations worth watching - imho.

All I care about is receiving a HD signal for Fox, CBS, and ABC.

Just a thought for those who are going to "move" in regards to football, if you are a KC fan. You might want to think about the west coast feeds instead of the east coast feeds. Reason being, the Chiefs are AFC and they generally play at noon when the west coast teams are not playing so you have better chance of picking up the game in HD as it is being broadcast out there instead of an east coast team game for the same time slot.

Make sense?
post #394 of 5454 Old 11-01-2005, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you want to "move" to get HD Distant Network Service, try addresses at:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com

The most likely addresses to qualify will be in counties farthest from the transmitters.
You need an exact address from a town in a distant county - not just a zip code.
DMA county map:

If an address qualifies for the HD networks the results will look like this:

HD DNS channels are free for qualifying addresses if you have the HD package.

Any address on Court St in Jasper (Newton County) AR should qualify, because the tiny town is in a valley surrounded by tall hills.
post #395 of 5454 Old 11-01-2005, 08:26 PM

And if I recall................

tell them that i am moving service, but not mailing address. Correct?

And that I am doing a self install. Correct?

Also,when you mention that HD is free for HD package, that means no $1.50 per month per channel even though I do not need/want the SD signal. Only HD.
post #396 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 10:11 AM

The FCC should just let everyone that can't get their local channels OTA purchase the networks from satellite. That might speed up our locals into providing us a full power digital signal.
I believe we can do this at the end of next year, but it should be this way now.
post #397 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 11:01 AM

Is D* allowing the HD DNS only yet? I haven't seen anything besides the webpage for eligibility that they are actually turing on those that call and ask. Would be great if they are now doing so.
post #398 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 11:55 AM

You can only get HD DNS if you get a waver from the stations. FOX, ABC, and CBS in Springfield deny all requests.
post #399 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 12:59 PM

That is true for the analog feeds, but the new SHERVA allows digital DNS without a waiver if it is determined you are unserved. The above link that arxaw posted will take you to the page to see if your address is unserved by digital feeds as well as analog. It's just when will D* be abiding by this?
post #400 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 01:22 PM

Ok, I just read a post under the HD programming forum that D* is turning on feeds as of now to those that qualify for the HD DNS...
post #401 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSS View Post

Welcome langlin, I think I have saw you at dbstalk. Just like me you were wanting guide info on our locals on the 921. Wonder if we will ever get it?

MSPIN thinks D* is the way to go, but I will probably have to wait and see what is going to happen over the next 6 months with MPEG4.

Looks like we are going to lose NBC & TNT in 2007 for our nascar raceing.Channel 33 had better get on the ball and get us an HD signal before then as it looks like ABC and ESPN2 will take over. I have gotten spoiled watching the races this last half of the season in HD.

I sure hope channel 27 can get us HD before the spring races start next year.

Hi MRUSS,
At least I did get the OTA guide back for KY3, but not for OPT.

I like all about Dish now because there is more HD but I am disappointed with 33 and 27, I really don't need NBC since I have KY3 but with D* I would qualify for distant ABC, CBS and FOX

G'day
Leon

31 miles OTA San Antonio
70 Miles OTA Ozarks
post #402 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj829 View Post

Is D* allowing the HD DNS only yet? I haven't seen anything besides the webpage for eligibility that they are actually turing on those that call and ask. Would be great if they are now doing so.

If you live in a low area far enough from the towers you can get them turned on. If your address qualifies on the DNS form that is linked above. I think they are activating them. I'm thinking about "moving" to a low area in branson.
post #403 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 05:21 PM

Quote:

If you live in a low area far enough from the towers you can get them turned on. If your address qualifies on the DNS form that is linked above. I think they are activating them. I'm thinking about "moving" to a low area in branson.

Wait a minute. Is DirecTv allowing HD without a waiver? Here is my location:

Springfield, MO 65810-2545
Standard Distant Network Service
Not available because DIRECTV offers local network programming in your area

Digital (HD) Distant Network Service
Network Affiliate Channel Status
ABC KSPR-DT 33 Grade A (strong signal)
CBS KOLR-DT 10 Grade A (strong signal)
FOX KSFX-DT 27 Grade A (strong signal)
NBC KYTV-DT 3 Grade A (strong signal)

Of course we only have 1 of those 4 HD feeds in Springfield area.

And if you going to move, you need to look over at Kimberling City instead of Branson.
post #404 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 08:42 PM

You won't get HD in Springfield, If you get a Grade A DT signal your are out of luck. I actually have a lake house in Branson that only gets a Grade B NBC signal and no signal on ABC, CBS, and FOX on DT. So they are showing elgible for HD Distant Feeds. Since I get NBC fine OTA I only need CBS, FOX, and ABC. So my lake house will work.
post #405 of 5454 Old 11-02-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:

You won't get HD in Springfield, If you get a Grade A DT signal your are out of luck. I actually have a lake house in Branson that only gets a Grade B NBC signal and no signal on ABC, CBS, and FOX on DT. So they are showing elgible for HD Distant Feeds. Since I get NBC fine OTA I only need CBS, FOX, and ABC. So my lake house will work.

Hmm I used to work for the City of Branson and ran several "addresses" in low areas and got a several A and a few B signals. I thought a B signal still required a waiver.

Well, since I couldnt find a weak enough signal, I just stated looking in Kimberling City and found most anything there works.

If I recall, I need to tell the CSR that I have moved my service, did a self-install, and need to keep my billing address the same as before since this is a "lake house".
post #406 of 5454 Old 11-03-2005, 06:13 AM

Grade B signals still count as receivable, so you would not be eligable with that. As far as moving, yes, just call and change your service address.
post #407 of 5454 Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

If I recall, I need to tell the CSR that I have moved my service, did a self-install, and need to keep my billing address the same as before since this is a "lake house".

Yes.

That's how I "moved" quite a while back, except I didn't mention anything about a lake house or vacation home. If they ask you about the phone number, tell them it didn't change. Also, make sure you know the County you're "moving" to, as they may ask for that.

If you have the HD package and "move" to a qualified address, the HD networks will be added at no additional charge. If you don't have the HD package, channels are $1.50 each, ala carte. If the HD channels don't show up (in the 80s channel numbers), or you get error ext 721, call D* back, tell them you qualify for HD DNS channels and would like them to be activated.

To find addresses in any town, enter the city and state only at:
http://wp.netscape.com/netcenter/whitereverse.html

To qualify addresses for HD DNS:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com
post #408 of 5454 Old 11-03-2005, 11:38 AM

I just checked the links, and I would be eligible for ABC if I were a D* customer. I am grade b for Fox and CBS. I hope E* gets these networks up soon and maybe I can get ABC from them. I understand they have been testing them, but haven't lite them up yet.

I can't spend anymore money till the MPEG4 DVR receivers become available.We will need them for future HD programing from both company's.
post #409 of 5454 Old 11-05-2005, 04:57 PM

Well this just sucks.

After 47 minutes on the phone to "move" and talking to 3 different CSRs, I cannot get the HD east coast feeds without first subscribing AND installing a second dish for the locals. She said it was something about local in local. She said that even if I subscribe now to the local channel without putting up a second dish, I still would not get the HD feed on the Networks because they work off each other when you are local in local.

sigh
post #410 of 5454 Old 11-06-2005, 07:45 AM

I don't know how they can play off each other, unless that is how they are making sure people keep their locals active to ensure the affiliate getting side-stepped won't have a fit when the import the distant HD feed. Did you inquire about having the HD package and those channels being turned on without subing to locals as arxaw brings up in his post? That would be one way of side-stepping the issue if you have only one dish.
post #411 of 5454 Old 11-06-2005, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

... She said that even if I subscribe now to the local channel without putting up a second dish, I still would not get the HD feed on the Networks because they work off each other when you are local in local.

That CSR was FOS.

You do not have to have 2 dishes to receive the DNS HD channels if you qualify for them. DNS HD is received on the same triple-LNB HD dish you already have, if you have HD.

If they now insist you must subscribe to LIL channels, I would:
1. Call back and tell them you installed your own 2nd dish at your "moved to" address and want to subscribe to LIL ($5/mo).
2.(If your move address qualifies) Tell the CSR you qualify for DNS HD per their web site and want HD DNS activated on your HD package at no additional charge.

If they give you crap, threaten to disconnect D* service and ask to speak to customer retention.
post #412 of 5454 Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Or, move to Marshall, AR where DirecTV has no LIL service - only DNS.
post #413 of 5454 Old 11-09-2005, 07:25 AM

Oh my gosh, I thought all of those in Arkansas were covered now!! What DMA is that considered? Jonesboro?
post #414 of 5454 Old 11-10-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh my gosh, I thought all of those in Arkansas were covered now!! What DMA is that considered? Jonesboro?

Little Rock.

Dish Network carries the locals there, but DirecTV's spot beam for the LR market is too weak to cover that county reliably. So they dont' offer LR locals in Marshall - only DNS.
post #415 of 5454 Old 11-10-2005, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

You can only get HD DNS if you get a waver from the stations. FOX, ABC, and CBS in Springfield deny all requests.

I have a waiver from Fox and ABC and get those two in HD from DirecTV. I could not get a waiver from NBC or CBS. I live close to Cape Fair and can receive KOLR CBS analog OTA and KY3 NBC digital OTA.

Chris
post #416 of 5454 Old 11-10-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I have a waiver from Fox and ABC and get those two in HD from DirecTV. I could not get a waiver from NBC or CBS. I live close to Cape Fair and can receive KOLR CBS analog OTA and KY3 NBC digital OTA.

Chris

Did KSFX give you a waiver at request, or are you just eligible for Fox? D*'s site shows I am eligible for ABC only and I live near Wheelerville.
I sure hope to have FoxHD before nascar starts next year.
post #417 of 5454 Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 AM

Good find arxaw! I wondered where the limits of the spot beam were since the D* site has it listed as select zip codes only.
post #418 of 5454 Old 11-10-2005, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSS View Post

Did KSFX give you a waiver at request, or are you just eligible for Fox? D*'s site shows I am eligible for ABC only and I live near Wheelerville.
I sure hope to have FoxHD before nascar starts next year.

I feel really stupid but I don't know where Wheelerville is. I am sure it is a booming metropolitan area, probably the cosmopolitan center of SW Missouri but I can't place it. I got the waiver years ago and I could not receive the Fox signal.

Chris
post #419 of 5454 Old 11-10-2005, 05:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Good find arxaw! I wondered where the limits of the spot beam were since the D* site has it listed as select zip codes only.

LR channels are on D* on Sat B (110), transponder 25. If you go into setup/signal strength meter and tune to that transponder, you'll see the signal strength is less than ideal. I'm in Carroll County and get that xponder in the low 60s, which is probably high enough to watch most of the time. But I'm sure rain fade would be a problem. Anyway, I'd rather watch HD-DNS than LR channels.
post #420 of 5454 Old 11-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I feel really stupid but I don't know where Wheelerville is. I am sure it is a booming metropolitan area, probably the cosmopolitan center of SW Missouri but I can't place it. I got the waiver years ago and I could not receive the Fox signal.

Chris

Wheelerville is about 6 miles south of Crane at D & 248 jct. Mr. Wheeler that owned all the Consumer markets in Springfield opened his first grocery store at Wheelerville.

So your waiver is good for the HD channels also, thats great.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page