post #481 of 5454 Old 01-13-2006, 04:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSS View Post

Has anyone saw anything on KY3's test channel. (003-03)

Right now, they're broadcasting KYTV in 480i on 3-3.

I wish stations wouldn't do this, as it robs bandwidth from the HD channel, and PQ suffers. One extra sub channel (3-2) was bad enough. KOZK-DT also does this, and it really degrades HD picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 5454 Old 01-13-2006, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Right now, they're broadcasting KYTV in 480i on 3-3.

I wish stations wouldn't do this, as it robs bandwidth from the HD channel, and PQ suffers. One extra sub channel (3-2) was bad enough. KOZK-DT also does this, and it really degrades HD picture quality.

I don't know why they are doing this, I can already see my picture suffering on 3-1. If I want the picture to fill my screen, I will stretch the 3-1 picture.It looks much better when I do it than what they are doing.

I wish they would move UPN to it's own designated digital channel. I can't recall the channel number the FCC gave them.
post #483 of 5454 Old 01-13-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpin View Post

The spot beam is not as small as you think. It would cover Tulsa, Fayetville, and other areas. In springfield we can see Kansas City's spot and St. Louis' spot. Springfield was chosen (in my opinion) because this is the first market to see the percent of satellite customers that is larger than the percent of cable customers. Plus they only need space for 2 channels to be broadcast in HD where in some cities they need 6 or 7. Of course if stations like KOLR , KSFX and KSPR get their butt in line it would start to change that second idea.

Yes I have ABC out of KC, but I don't think KC's spot will cover all the Springfield market. I also wonder if the spots may be smaller on E* X because it has so many.

I hope the launch goes well for E*X as the picture quality should look much better for even the sd locals.We should know before April how things look if all goes well next month.
post #484 of 5454 Old 01-13-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I don't know why they are doing this, I can already see my picture suffering on 3-1.

KY3 feeds a lot of distant cable headends with their DTV signal instead of their analog signal (due to noise on channel 3). And the winter Olympics are coming up.

So, my guess is they've added a dedicated SD service (simulcasting KY3 analog programming) to their DTV transmission for the cable headends so that they can carry the network Olympics coverage in HD on 3-1.
post #485 of 5454 Old 01-15-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

You are correct. The station would have to broadcast HD before D* or D* could carry the station in HD.

Actually, Dish could pick up at the station in HD even if the station is NOT broadcasting an HD signal.

G'day
Leon

31 miles OTA San Antonio
70 Miles OTA Ozarks
post #486 of 5454 Old 01-16-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:

I don't know why they are doing this, I can already see my picture suffering on 3-1. If I want the picture to fill my screen, I will stretch the 3-1 picture.It looks much better when I do it than what they are doing.

I wish they would move UPN to it's own designated digital channel. I can't recall the channel number the FCC gave them.

They also have a signal on 3-4, my guess it's t be used for multi-channel in the Olympics

Leon

G'day
Leon

31 miles OTA San Antonio
70 Miles OTA Ozarks
post #487 of 5454 Old 01-18-2006, 06:16 AM

Ok, I just got Dish Network hooked up. Don't hate me, apprently I called to check on the service and they entered me in some kind of 25th anniversary contest. I won 25 months of America's top 60 + for 2 tv's in SD. I added the HD pack and an 811 so I'll be paying $15/ month total for then next 2 years

Anyway, I had everything hooked up to an antenna in the attic, now they are using the coax to my theater room to feed the 811. How big of an antenna will I need to pick up KY3 HD and PBS HD? Will a set of bunny ears get it done? Any recommendations?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #488 of 5454 Old 01-18-2006, 06:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by am_pcguy View Post

Ok, I just got Dish Network hooked up. Don't hate me, apprently I called to check on the service and they entered me in some kind of 25th anniversary contest. I won 25 months of America's top 60 + for 2 tv's in SD. I added the HD pack and an 811 so I'll be paying $15/ month total for then next 2 years

Anyway, I had everything hooked up to an antenna in the attic, now they are using the coax to my theater room to feed the 811. How big of an antenna will I need to pick up KY3 HD and PBS HD? Will a set of bunny ears get it done? Any recommendations?

I guess they failed to tell you the HD pack is changing in two weeks to add more Voom channels and ESPN2 and UHD. To get these channels you will need a MPEG4 receiver and pay $20 a month for the package.
post #489 of 5454 Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by am_pcguy View Post

congrats am_pcguy , enjoy it. depending on your location, you should be able to use an attic antenna for broadcast too. Don't think you will be happy with rabbit ears.

G'day
Leon

31 miles OTA San Antonio
70 Miles OTA Ozarks
post #490 of 5454 Old 01-19-2006, 05:38 PM

Excuse my ignorance but I'm kind of new to HD. I live in Springfield and Ive been on Dish Network for a couple years now. I haven't been home much the past couple of years due to my line of work so I haven't had much time to mess with the HD until today.

Ive noticed several people saying that PBS and KY3 are broad-casted in Hi-Def but when I bring up those channels they're not. I don't understand why you can hook up your own antenna to pick them up in hi-def but you cant through your hi-def satellite receiver.

Could someone with more knowledge explain this to me? I called dish network but the kid I talked to didn't seem to know why either and was just more concerned about trying to keep me as a customer.

Also, do you guys think it will ever be possible to pick up our local stations like FOX and CBS in hi-def through a satellite receiver? My TV doesn't have a HD tuner, its just "HD-ready". So the only way I can get HD is through my receiver.
post #491 of 5454 Old 01-19-2006, 05:52 PM

If you have a 942, 811, 411, or 211 you can plug your antenna into the sat box and get your local HD channels through your sat box. Just go to the option to scan for local channels, I don't have dish anymore so I don't remember the exact menu name.
post #492 of 5454 Old 01-19-2006, 06:01 PM

Well I don't have an antenna. I just don't understand why I can pick up local channels like NBC and PBS without an antenna hooked up to my box, but they're not in hi-def. If they are broadcasted in hi-def, and my box picks them up (channel 7226 and channel 7222) why doesn't it pick them up in hi-def?
post #493 of 5454 Old 01-19-2006, 06:51 PM

Because those are available on the Satellite, they currently are not offering HD locals broadcast over satellite due to the lack of available bandwidth on the satellite. Springfield is listed as one of the first 22 markets Dish is planning on offering when they start offering HD locals over satellite. HD in springfield is terrestial only at this time.

So a simple answer to your question, they are not broadcasting in high def over satellite so you can't pick it up with your dish alone.
post #494 of 5454 Old 01-19-2006, 07:36 PM

KY3 and KSPR are showing up on list in the HD channels but it says, "This channel should be available shortly." Channels 708 and 712. Woohoo!
post #495 of 5454 Old 01-19-2006, 09:51 PM

Maybe we might just see the superbowl on KSPR via cable in HD? I knew they were installing the HD downlinks this would be a way around needing a new transmitter to get HD going.
post #496 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 02:23 AM

Thanks for your replies. So its a dish network problem then. I wonder if I switched to directv if I could pick them up in HD from them?
post #497 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 06:27 AM

Quote:

Maybe we might just see the superbowl on KSPR via cable in HD? I knew they were installing the HD downlinks this would be a way around needing a new transmitter to get HD going.

Sure hope so!! And, the Olympics too!!
post #498 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic646 View Post

Thanks for your replies. So its a dish network problem then. I wonder if I switched to directv if I could pick them up in HD from them?

Directv doesn't offer HD locals in springfield either. You will need an antenna.
post #499 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Directv doesn't offer HD locals in springfield either. You will need an antenna.

So basically I would be better off switching to Mediacom digital cable? Mediacom is more expensive for regular channels and you dont get as many. Not to mention they raise their rates every year. Tough decision.
post #500 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:

So basically I would be better off switching to Mediacom digital cable? Mediacom is more expensive for regular channels and you dont get as many. Not to mention they raise their rates every year. Tough decision.

I don't believe you said if you have an HD receiver from dish. If you don't, you can call them after Feb. 1st and get upgraded with a new MPEG4 receiver that will get all the HD programming and the locals when they put them up on satellite. They will also install an antenna for you to receive your locals over the air. All for a fee, 50.00 for the antenna and from 49.00 to 299.00 for the receiver, I think.
post #501 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Maybe this will help us get KSPR HD up on satellite soon. Maybe by midyear we hope.
post #502 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:

Mediacom doesn't offer HD locals on their system yet either. Just get an antenna. All of them will someday, just not yet. Mediacom looks like it will be 1st, Dish 2nd and Direct 3rd.
post #503 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 04:20 PM

I talked to Mediacom's CS tonight and they said KY3 and KSPR would go live with HD on Feb. 1st. I always take CS with a grain of salt though
post #504 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
What HD does Mediacom carry? I have dish now and have been thinking of swtiching to cable or DirectTV depending on what dish does with its HD package...
post #505 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 05:04 PM

too bad I vowed never get cable with mediacom again after some problems I had with them a few years ago. I really like my DirectTV, even though I don't get the HD package, I have my antenna hooked up and I can get 3 and 21 in HD. I just want FOX in HD really, really bad, considering almost every show I watch, including football and Nascar is on there. I could actually care less about 33 except for the Super Bowl.
post #506 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Doss View Post

What HD does Mediacom carry? I have dish now and have been thinking of swtiching to cable or DirectTV depending on what dish does with its HD package...

Right now they have: ESPN, UHD, DISC, HDNet, HDMV, HBO, SHD, SHOHD, IND (I think that's it). Coming Feb. 1 they will add local channels KY3 and KSPR, supposedly (They are showing on the guide now). I sure wish they would add TNT.

If you are coming from a dish be sure to ask for the specials. I got basic cable plus encore and starz plus and internet for $61.00 with special for moving from dish. And, I don't pay anthing for the boxes. I added HD to that for $10 afterwards.

I have read that Mediacom wanted the dish boxes in exchange but I did not have to give them mine. Besides, they weren't mine to give as I rented them.

My PQ on Mediacom is every bit as good as satellite in HD. I have a 10 foot screen and it shows any PQ problems easily.

Good luck!
post #507 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 07:17 PM

So KSPR will offer HD over Mediacom but not over the air?

So your telling me that basically Mediacom is offering ABC in HD and just adding local content. hmmm
post #508 of 5454 Old 01-20-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

So your telling me that basically Mediacom is offering ABC in HD and just adding local content. hmmm

KSPR can send their HD signal to the mediacom system using a fiber connection, they could also use this to send the signal to D* and E*. Transmitters for over the air are very expensive and this would allow them to offer HD while getting the funding together to update their transmitter.
post #509 of 5454 Old 01-21-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

I have no idea how they plan to do it. I just know that KY3 and KSPR are showing up on my guide now and that Mediacom CS says that it will be pushing them down the line Feb. 1st. As for the other locals, I wouldn't hold my breath, I think they have another agenda.

I also have to say that Mediacom's digital channels look very good on my big screen. About as good as 720p HDTV!
post #510 of 5454 Old 01-21-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirData View Post

I have no idea how they plan to do it. I just know that KY3 and KSPR are showing up on my guide now and that Mediacom CS says that it will be pushing them down the line Feb. 1st. As for the other locals, I wouldn't hold my breath, I think they have another agenda.

I also have to say that Mediacom's digital channels look very good on my big screen. About as good as 720p HDTV!

I had Mediacom digital cable when it first came out and you could definately tell it was digital. Now I have dish network and they claim all of their channels are digital but they look the same as analog to me. I may just have to switch back to Mediacom. You were saying you pay $60/month with internet, is that the full speed 4 Mbps internet or the cheaper 2Mbps?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page