Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 18 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #511 of 5471 Old 01-21-2006, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been looking on Mediacom's web site... No prices or channel line up's DVR info.. NOTHING.. That seems kinda weird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 5471 Old 01-21-2006, 07:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
They require you to call, they have the worst web site for information. Everything says call to find out more info.
post #513 of 5471 Old 01-21-2006, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic646 View Post

I had Mediacom digital cable when it first came out and you could definately tell it was digital. Now I have dish network and they claim all of their channels are digital but they look the same as analog to me. I may just have to switch back to Mediacom. You were saying you pay $60/month with internet, is that the full speed 4 Mbps internet or the cheaper 2Mbps?

I pay $61.00 my total package (includes Encore/Starz) plus $10 for HD. The internet is actually 5Mbps. I moved from DishNetwork to Mediacom on one of their special prices. Before that I was on Mediacom and paid $90.00 for basic and 2Mbps internet. Go figure!?
post #514 of 5471 Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the channel sheet I got emailed to me.. looks like the HD has not been updated...

Springfield_lineup.pdf 15.890625k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Springfield_lineup.pdf (15.9 KB, 0 views)
post #515 of 5471 Old 01-26-2006, 07:32 PM

Well, KY3 and KSPR are now being broadcast in HD as of tonight! Hmmm, even ahead of time quoted by CS.
post #516 of 5471 Old 01-26-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirData View Post

Well, KY3 and KSPR are now being broadcast in HD as of tonight! Hmmm, even ahead of time quoted by CS.

Wonder when KSPR will go HD OTA?
post #517 of 5471 Old 01-26-2006, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KYTV had a blurb about cableco HD carriage on the 5pm news.

KYTV-DT & KOZK-DT come in very well here in NW Arkansas, as do KHOG (ABC-HD) & KFSM (CBS-HD), transmitting from Winslow, Ark.
post #518 of 5471 Old 01-27-2006, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Doss View Post

Wonder when KSPR will go HD OTA?

Don't hold your breath, I think they have a different agenda. But, maybe KY3 and KSPR being on Mediacom, in HD, will pressure them into following. More HD is good!
post #519 of 5471 Old 01-27-2006, 01:41 PM

My only option is OTA or satellite where I live, but I think this will help us get HD sooner as more people get exposed to HD. 3 and 33 being added to mediacom will put more pressure on 10 and 27 to do something soon.
post #520 of 5471 Old 01-27-2006, 02:15 PM

just got off the phone w/ a dish network rep and she said they will have mpeg 4 available feb 1 which will send hd locals to top 50 markets, i realize springfield is 72, but i read somewhere that dish would bump us up to the first run of hd locals because of ratio of cable to dish subscribers. anybody hearing anything different?
post #521 of 5471 Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 PM

That is partially true. But Springfield is slated to launch later this year. They are launching mpeg4 on Feb. 1, but they will roll out a group of locals every month, expect Springfield to be towards the end of the year.
post #522 of 5471 Old 01-27-2006, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliehr View Post

That is partially true. But Springfield is slated to launch later this year. They are launching mpeg4 on Feb. 1, but they will roll out a group of locals every month, expect Springfield to be towards the end of the year.

no hd super bowl on my 118 screen, whata waste. Too bad media com isnt out in the country.
post #523 of 5471 Old 01-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliehr View Post

I would agree, but you never know they might just add a station when they receive a feed from them. There will not be an extra charge for HD if you have sd locals.
post #524 of 5471 Old 01-27-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

KYTV had a blurb about cableco HD carriage on the 5pm news.

KYTV-DT & KOZK-DT come in very well here in NW Arkansas, as do KHOG (ABC-HD) & KFSM (CBS-HD), transmitting from Winslow, Ark.

I get all of those except KOZK DT here Northwest of Harrison. Not sure why I can't get KOZK. I am at 1400 feet, so elevation shouldn't be the problem.
post #525 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone who has HDTV via mediacom, please give us a brief rundown of what is available, what the hardware is, how the hardware performs, etc.

I'd really appreciate it. The CS reps don't know alot, and a real users impressions would be great.
post #526 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdawg View Post

Can someone who has HDTV via mediacom, please give us a brief rundown of what is available, what the hardware is, how the hardware performs, etc.

I'd really appreciate it. The CS reps don't know alot, and a real users impressions would be great.

I had mediacom in sept/oct 05, and i had the motorola hd dvr, and the res on that box was terrible, the hd channels were moderately better that sd digital channels.
They said poor res was because i was in an appartment and the signal was split too many ways. Side note, my lg 4910 hd dvr ota receiver is supposed to pick up cable hd channels w/o a subscription, i dont know if this is true, but i can tell you it is a far superior tuner than the moto that mediacom puts out.
post #527 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post

I get all of those except KOZK DT here Northwest of Harrison...

Arkie,
What antenna + preamp are you using?
Do you have a rotor?
What OTA tuner? Built in? Set top box? Brand?
post #528 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:

As far as what is available...I guess you mean, what channels are available? Please check some of my previous posts. I think I mentioned them all.

As for hardware. I have a Motorolla 6412 DVR box. I've had very little problems with it. It also allows me to record off of it by FireWire. There is a newer version, I believe it is called the Motorolla 6412 Phase III. I hear that it is a little better with the analogue channels. I don't watch many of the analogue channels as this box is in my theater room and I mostly watch the DTV and HD channels, and DVDs with it. Overall, SD just sucks on my big screen so I don't mess with it much.
post #529 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Arkie,
What antenna + preamp are you using?
Do you have a rotor?
What OTA tuner? Built in? Set top box? Brand?

I have an XG91 antenna from antennas direct, a CM preamp. I have a rotor. I am using a HD Tivo tuner. Had the same problem with channel 21 when I had an HTL HD as well.

I don't think it is my setup, as I always get Fayettville/Fort Smith and have gotten all the Tulsa channels and KTHV in LR on occasion.

Channel 3 comes in with a signal in the 90's also......

I can occasionally pull channel 21, but it is not stable at all and quickly vanishes.
post #530 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirData View Post

As far as what is available...I guess you mean, what channels are available? Please check some of my previous posts. I think I mentioned them all.

As for hardware. I have a Motorolla 6412 DVR box. I've had very little problems with it. It also allows me to record off of it by FireWire. There is a newer version, I believe it is called the Motorolla 6412 Phase III. I hear that it is a little better with the analogue channels. I don't watch many of the analogue channels as this box is in my theater room and I mostly watch the DTV and HD channels, and DVDs with it. Overall, SD just sucks on my big screen so I don't mess with it much.

Thanks AirData,

What kind of OS/GUI does the 6412 have? Have you ever used or seen a TIVO's feature set/GUI? Does the 6412 compare favorably?
post #531 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Also are the dual tuners working with mediacom?
post #532 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 06:09 PM

So what is Mediacom actually showing local in HD. My brother has Mediacom HD and i have DirecTV HD and I told him about KSPR going HD. He said i was full of crap.

Do i need to plan to go his his pad for the Superbowl or not?
post #533 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

I am also interested in mediacom I am at a point where I can go with dishes new 622
or go with mediacom and their HD DVR box I like the firewire on the mediacom box
post #534 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Also are the dual tuners working with mediacom?

The Moto 6412 is a dual tuner. See this page for info and .pdf files: http://broadband.motorola.com/dvr/dct6412.asp
post #535 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

So what is Mediacom actually showing local in HD. My brother has Mediacom HD and i have DirecTV HD and I told him about KSPR going HD. He said i was full of crap.

Do i need to plan to go his his pad for the Superbowl or not?

KY3 and KSPR are now in the Mediacom HD channels. Just have him go to his guide and go to channels 708 and 712 and see for himself. He won't be able to view it unless he has an HD box but he will be able to hear it.

Not unless he has a HD box and HDTV
post #536 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the confirmation AirData. I have read the motorola sites info, but I have also read that comcast is using this same unit. And that in portions of the country, only one tuner is enabled for them. So I wanted to confirm that mediacom was using them both.

For anyone interested in what the GUI looks like for this box, go to http://www.mediacomcc.com/ on the lower right hand side of the screen is a "demo the new digital on screen guide" option. This gives you a (somewhat lame) interactive view of the GUI. I could have done without having to press menu, when they tell me too But it does let you know what the guide will look like.

Now if Mediacom would just get the NBA League Pass, I think it would be a no brainer switch for me...
post #537 of 5471 Old 01-30-2006, 09:18 PM

thanks for the info. i will let him know.

also any idea if KOLR and FOX are going to pass thru the HD signal before they put it OTA?

I am starting to get a little tired of my DirecTV HD and only 2 HD locals (PBS and NBC). Might need to think about switching to (sigh) Mediacom
post #538 of 5471 Old 01-31-2006, 06:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the confirmation AirData. I have read the motorola sites info, but I have also read that comcast is using this same unit. And that in portions of the country, only one tuner is enabled for them. So I wanted to confirm that mediacom was using them both.

lawdawg,

If you mean by enabled that you can record one HD channel and watch another, yes, you can. The 6412 has two HDTV tuners. As I said previously, I would try the get the newer Phase III of this 6412 box. I don't know if it is available in this area yet. I'm going to try to get a second box soon, as when I got mine they said they were short on them and I couldn't get two at the time.

The Firewire ports are also enabled on this box and you can copy unencrypted shows to your pc/mac. The internal modem, ethernet, and usb ports are not enabled as far as I know. The guide, I believe, is Microsoft's. It is not the best out there but it works fairly well for what I use it for. I have not had any problems with timed recordings.

Hope that helps...
post #539 of 5471 Old 01-31-2006, 09:39 AM

Actually, I believe the guide is TVguides. Did you see the scroller last night that announced the Superbowl waould be televised on MC in HD?

Andy

Let's stamp out & abolish redundancy!
post #540 of 5471 Old 01-31-2006, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

AirData,

Thanks for the scoop on the HD DVR mediacom carries. I just got off the phone with mediacom, and they have no plans to carry the NBA league pass... Looks like I'm stuck waiting for Springfield Locals to go OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page