Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 184 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #5491 of 5510 Old 01-26-2016, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmo2020 View Post
I have been watching KOLR OTA during some basketball and football events. The picture quality is terrible. There is such bad pixelation it is touch to watch. The CBS Sports ROKU live feed over the internet looks better with fast motion. KOLR doesn't have subchannels and I see 16.1 Mpbs stream bandwidth, so I can't see why it is so bad. KRCG in Jefferson City looks about as bad. The DirecTV feed for KOLR looks slightly better. Fox OTA looks great.
It's always been that way for me, and I'm only about 3 miles from the Fordland towers. It's especially bad when the camera pans left or right. I don't know if it's a CBS issue, or a KOLR issue.
I'm just happy that I get to watch the Super Bowl this year since I still can't get FOX (KRBK).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 5510 Old 01-29-2016, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntermo View Post
It's always been that way for me, and I'm only about 3 miles from the Fordland towers. It's especially bad when the camera pans left or right. I don't know if it's a CBS issue, or a KOLR issue.
I'm just happy that I get to watch the Super Bowl this year since I still can't get FOX (KRBK).
Signal isn't an issue. I have watched OTA from 3 locations (home, in-laws, friends) and signal is great, but the picture quality during fast motion left/right is terrible. Take a look at a basketball game or football game. It must be a CBS thing because KRCG in Jefferson City looks bad as well. Regular shows look OK. It is a shame when a 16.1 megabit OTA looks worse than the CBS Roku app watching it over the internet at maybe 3-4 megabit.
bowhuntermo likes this.
post #5493 of 5510 Old 01-30-2016, 12:36 PM

Basketball, fast break. Pretty sorry quality. 85% signal strength. I think it is a CBS thing, because I saw some KOLR local commercials with fast motion and they looked OK. Probably no hope in getting anything better. Thank goodness most of my sports watching is on fox.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kolr.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	1220474  
bowhuntermo likes this.
post #5494 of 5510 Old 02-04-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmo2020 View Post
Basketball, fast break. Pretty sorry quality. 85% signal strength. I think it is a CBS thing, because I saw some KOLR local commercials with fast motion and they looked OK. Probably no hope in getting anything better. Thank goodness most of my sports watching is on fox.
Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's (CBS) been this way for me ever since they switched to HD.
My signal strength hovers between 97%-99%, so that's not the issue.

At least you get to watch FOX. I can't even pick it up!
I've been thinking about trying to combine 2 antennas, but have read that it might cause more problems than it solves.
post #5495 of 5510 Old 02-04-2016, 04:02 PM

Well, I'm getting tired of not being able to watch FOX, and with Spring on it's way, I'm trying to formulate a plan.

I live less than 4 miles to the WSW of the broadcast towers in Fordland, so that puts me about 15 miles or so EAST of the FOX tower at KOLR on east Division. Nearly 180 degree separation.

Currently I have a DB4 for UHF and a large VHF antenna on a 10-foot mast on the highest point of my roof. I'm using a VHF/UHF combiner, and a preamp. Signal is split to 5 HDTVs and my main desktop PC (I use Windows Media Center as a DVR). I'm getting all of the channels from Fordland without any issues (usually, lol), and also get 17.1.

I don't know if I should add another UHF antenna to the mast (or even in the attic), and aim one towards Fordland, and the other towards FOX and use a splitter in reverse to try to combine the signals, or just try a Omnidirectional antenna and see how that goes.
This is the one I'm considering on Amazon: 1byone Omni-directional Amplified Outdoor Antenna for FM/VHF/UHF 60 Miles Range

Any suggestions are appreciated!!
post #5496 of 5510 Old 02-04-2016, 04:04 PM

It wouldn't let me post a link to the antenna from Amazon on my previous post due to post-count.
I'll try again here.
post #5497 of 5510 Old 02-29-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It wouldn't let me post a link to the antenna from Amazon on my previous post due to post-count.
I'll try again here.
If you add another UHF antenna, being so close to everything, you will end up with multi-path interference with both UHF antennas receiving signals from different places at different times. There are ways to do it, such as having the exact same antenna and exact same feed line length and such, but it seems complicated. Maybe someone here could help with a TVFool report. It seems like you are very close to everything and an omni-directional antenna might work out for you being so close.
post #5498 of 5510 Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 AM

New Subchannels

KOLR will be adding two subchannels, BounceTV and GRIT. KOZL will also be adding two subchannels, Escape and Laff. These are listed on the rabbitears site as "soon". A buddy at work tipped me off to this.

Not sure how good the programming is, but I'll take it!
post #5499 of 5510 Old 06-23-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Hmmm. I thought CBS frowned on subchannels.
post #5500 of 5510 Old 06-23-2016, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 53
It has to do with the larger scope. Nexstar (and their shell company Mission Broadcasting) signed a deal with Katz networks to add Bounce, Grit, Laff and Escape to stations. 81 stations total in 54 markets

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...markets/157330
post #5501 of 5510 Old 06-23-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck44 View Post
Hmmm. I thought CBS frowned on subchannels.
CBS did frown on subs on their O&O stations...but last year they added Decades to all 16 O&O stations (in their 14 markets....Minneapolis technically has 3 CBS O&O stations....but 2 are satellite stations)

Affiliates (not owned by CBS) could do what they wanted with subs.

Subsequently, until recently Nexstar (and their shell company Mission) usually didnt add subs to their stations and on stations they would buy if there was a sub when the contract came up they would drop it.
post #5502 of 5510 Old 06-23-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
It has to do with the larger scope. Nexstar (and their shell company Mission Broadcasting) signed a deal with Katz networks to add Bounce, Grit, Laff and Escape to stations. 81 stations total in 54 markets

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...markets/157330
Thanks for the URL. I'm glad to see this kind of thing grow, especially in rural areas. However, I'm still interested in how the 600mhz auctions will go to see who will sell out and where things will be consolidated. That may impact a lot.
post #5503 of 5510 Old 07-01-2016, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anybody know when these channels will be live
post #5504 of 5510 Old 07-01-2016, 04:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

From folks 'in the know' at other nexstar markets I heard late August/early September
dbsstephen likes this.
post #5505 of 5510 Old 07-06-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's (CBS) been this way for me ever since they switched to HD.
My signal strength hovers between 97%-99%, so that's not the issue.

At least you get to watch FOX. I can't even pick it up!
I've been thinking about trying to combine 2 antennas, but have read that it might cause more problems than it solves.
Been gone for quite a while, CBS has been an issue since 2009, they obviously will never fix it here in Springfield

Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV
post #5506 of 5510 Old 08-11-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliehr View Post
Been gone for quite a while, CBS has been an issue since 2009, they obviously will never fix it here in Springfield

Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV
I wonder what ever happened to rhoops. Not here since 2012.

Anyway, Facebook says the new stations go up September 1st. It is on the KOLR 10 Facebook page.
post #5507 of 5510 Old 08-20-2016, 09:41 PM

Does anybody know how I can get those channels to come in on my am 21N DirecTV off-air tuner
post #5508 of 5510 Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 AM

Subchannels for Kolr 10 and Kozl 27 have launched and are now available to watch
post #5509 of 5510 Old 08-23-2016, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsstephen View Post
Does anybody know how I can get those channels to come in on my am 21N DirecTV off-air tuner
You're pretty much stuck until/if DirecTV adds them to the program guide. I have two of these and - to my knowledge - there's no way to make them scan for channels. Just make sure the zip code in the antenna setup is properly set. You can put up to two zip codes into the system as I have for Detroit and Toledo.

The better option is to run a line from your antenna directly to the television. The AM 21's tuner isn't the best, by far.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5510 of 5510 Old 11-17-2016, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Well, I'm getting tired of not being able to watch FOX, and with Spring on it's way, I'm trying to formulate a plan.

I live less than 4 miles to the WSW of the broadcast towers in Fordland, so that puts me about 15 miles or so EAST of the FOX tower at KOLR on east Division. Nearly 180 degree separation.

Currently I have a DB4 for UHF and a large VHF antenna on a 10-foot mast on the highest point of my roof. I'm using a VHF/UHF combiner, and a preamp. Signal is split to 5 HDTVs and my main desktop PC (I use Windows Media Center as a DVR). I'm getting all of the channels from Fordland without any issues (usually, lol), and also get 17.1.

I don't know if I should add another UHF antenna to the mast (or even in the attic), and aim one towards Fordland, and the other towards FOX and use a splitter in reverse to try to combine the signals, or just try a Omnidirectional antenna and see how that goes.
This is the one I'm considering on Amazon: 1byone Omni-directional Amplified Outdoor Antenna for FM/VHF/UHF 60 Miles Range

Any suggestions are appreciated!!
Have you been able to pick up KRBK yet? A new antennas is being installed in Fordland in the next couple weeks. Plans are to have it on air by the end of the month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page