Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 187 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #5581 of 5590 Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoswell View Post
Any word on stations in Springfield changing RF channel as a result of the FCC Spectrum Auction "Repacking"?
(For example, I'm thinking KY3 [RF44] would be considered out-of-core, and would probably move.)

Thanks,
Kelly
I wish they would mention at least what they are doing over the air, if they are keeping ANT TV PSIP as 15 or changing back to 33.3 or whatever it was. I guess they had to put ABC and NBC on the same frequency for some deal the station owners made in some consolidation or something. I hope they aren't stupid enough to think they can move NBC and ABC onto the same frequency as a way to drive up the auction price. How dumb would someone have to be to not notice they just did this recently? I wouldn't imagine a savvy company would do something that bone headed. Anyway, fast motion video looks like ass on NBC and ABC now. Sports looks like dung when it used to look good on NBC in particular. ABC was OK but when it had two HD streams (ABC and CW) it was worse than NBC was. With 6.7 Mbps streams HD looks bad. Welcome to the future of OTA. It will only get worse until MAYBE ATSC 3 is fully deployed and we all buy new receiving gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 5590 Old 02-19-2017, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmo2020 View Post
I guess they had to put ABC and NBC on the same frequency for some deal the station owners made in some consolidation or something.
it was
Quote:
I hope they aren't stupid enough to think they can move NBC and ABC onto the same frequency as a way to drive up the auction price.
it wasnt

It had to do with FCC rules when Schurz Broadcasting sold everything (all their TV stations) to Gray. Schurz owned KYTV, the CW low powered station and ran KSPR for almost 10 years. KSPR was owned by someone else but Schurz ran it which you could do at the time. Fast Forward a few years (to late 2014-early 2015) and the FCC says "you can no longer own or operate 2 full powered stations if they are 2 of the top 4 stations in the market"....existing duopolies are good.

so now the rules are
-2 of the top 4 owned by same folks on 2 different RF stations? NOPE
-2 of the top 4 owned by same folks on 1 RF station (1 main 1 sub)? YUP
-2 of the top 4 owned by same folks with 1 on full power and 1 on a low powered station? YUP

So when Schurz sold out that would give Gray 2 out of the 4 top stations in the market so they had to do something. They either had to sell one of the existing stations as is (which they did do in other markets) or move the programming to a station they already owned and then do something with the other station (close it down, sell it to someone dirt cheap). Gray did this in a few areas where they moved the programming to a station they owned then sold the other to a small company who runs it with mainly diginets (like KRDK Fargo and what was KOTA Rapid City, SD now is KHME)

So now with this auction in full force at the time Gray came up with something to allow the FCC to approve the deal.
Gray would keep KTYV and the low powered CW station (LP stations do not count towards the above conflict). Schurz would get KSPR as a "holding pattern" until the FCC auction is done and then Gray can cash it in.

If you noticed ABC is actually on the low powered station (now named KSPR-LD) which Gray has done elsewhere. But since coverage isnt as good due to it being a LP station KYTV carries ABC as a sub also.

(me thinks KYTV made a deal with the FCC to allow them to move to RF19 when this all shakes down due to KYTV being above the threshold for stations after the auction...they will need to be at RF36 or below)
post #5583 of 5590 Old 02-20-2017, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
(me thinks KYTV made a deal with the FCC to allow them to move to RF19 when this all shakes down due to KYTV being above the threshold for stations after the auction...they will need to be at RF36 or below)
No such deals are possible. The algorithm that assigns channels to stations does its best to keep stations on their current channels, but otherwise cannot prioritize specific placements on one-off basis. If KYTV were to land on channel 19, it would be coincidental, or due to other stations around it being kept on their current channels leading to channel 19 just so happening to have a gap since KSPR is selling.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #5584 of 5590 Old 02-20-2017, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Maybe ABC gets sold to another company like Sinclair or Hearst so on
post #5585 of 5590 Old 02-20-2017, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOMRJSURF View Post
Maybe ABC gets sold to another company like Sinclair or Hearst so on
no it wont (just like I said last month when you spewed the same thing...post 5525 if you feel the need to re-read it). Gray owns it. They own the programming of NBC, ABC and CW in the market.
Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV

NBC is on a full powered station (KYTV)
ABC is technically on a LP station (KSPR-LD the former KYCW-LD station on RF15)
ABC is simulcasted on the full powered station (KYTV) for folks who are outside of the metro area and cant pick up the LP station

Right now the only thing in jeopardy of being dropped when KGHZ goes away is Weather Nation.
ABC is on both the LP (KSPR-LD RF15 PSIP 33) and KYTV
CW and AntennaTV are on both the LP (KSPR-LD) and the station that was sold to the FCC (KGHZ the former KSPR 33)

No matter how many times you say the same thing Matt the answer is the same. The station known as KGHZ (formerly KSPR) on RF19 has been sold back to the FCC as part of the auction. That was part of the Gray/Schurz deal and that is why Trip has it noted as RF station 19->0 whcih means it is going from RF19 to off the air (just like a couple PBS stations that took the money and ran)

Last edited by unclehonkey; 02-20-2017 at 07:39 PM.
post #5586 of 5590 Old 02-20-2017, 08:10 PM

My bad down to 4 full power KY3,KRBK,KOZK,KOLR10. Don't know about Independent station owned by KOLR10 owners. Also CW a Sub channel of Daystar channel.
post #5587 of 5590 Old Yesterday, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGOMRJSURF View Post
My bad down to 4 full power KY3,KRBK,KOZK,KOLR10. Don't know about Independent station owned by KOLR10 owners. Also CW a Sub channel of Daystar channel.
Krbk Fox affiliate is the sub channel of the Daystar Channel

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
post #5588 of 5590 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The reason for my original question was, that even though I live a few miles north of Little Rock I occasionally get signals from Springfield. I sometimes saw KOLR 10, and KSPR (when it had that callsign). I used to get KY3 on ch.44 also, until a station in Little Rock turned on their ch 44 transmitter.

I was just curious as to which stations were moving their RF channel, and to where. I guess it is a bit early in the game.

Thanks.
Kelly
post #5589 of 5590 Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

http://kcradio.robzerwekh.com/stations_sgf_tv.html KRBK out of Osage Beach,MO and KOZL is full power My Network TV.
post #5590 of 5590 Old Today, 06:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Right now the only thing in jeopardy of being dropped when KGHZ goes away is Weather Nation.
ABC is on both the LP (KSPR-LD RF15 PSIP 33) and KYTV
CW and AntennaTV are on both the LP (KSPR-LD) and the station that was sold to the FCC (KGHZ the former KSPR 33)

...Trip has it noted as RF station 19->0 whcih means it is going from RF19 to off the air (just like a couple PBS stations that took the money and ran)
What happens to the people who are too far away to get the low power stations when 19 goes away? We will lose weather, CW, and AntennaTV unless they do something with those, like maybe keep what is now full power 19 on the air on some other frequency.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception