Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5454 Old 01-31-2006, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aharris View Post

Actually, I believe the guide is TVguides. Did you see the scroller last night that announced the Superbowl waould be televised on MC in HD?

Andy

Andy, I believe it is made by Microsoft:

Microsoft Introduces Microsoft TV Foundation Edition 1.7, One of the First Software Platforms to Support Motorola DCT6400 Series Set-Tops With Integrated Dual-Tuner DVR and High-Definition Functionality
Enhanced Software Platform Offers Industry-Leading Digital Video Recording Functionality

NEW ORLEANS - May 3, 2004 - Today at The National Show, the National Cable & Telecommunications Association's (NCTA's) Annual Convention and International Exposition, Microsoft Corp. announced Microsoft® TV Foundation Edition 1.7, the latest update of its digital cable software platform and one of the first to support the Motorola DCT6412 set-top with integrated dual-tuner digital video recording (DVR) and high definition functionality. Microsoft TV Foundation 1.7 provides cable operators with a comprehensive and flexible solution to deploy, market and merchandize premium services such as video on demand (VOD) and high-definition television (HDTV), and provides some of the most advanced support for DVR available today, taking full advantage of the new dual-tuner capabilities of the Motorola DCT6400 advanced digital set-top platform. Microsoft TV Foundation Edition 1.7 will be on display at Microsoft Booth No. 2223.

"We are pleased to have Microsoft TV support the launch of the Motorola DCT6412 HD set-top with dual-tuner DVR," said Dan Moloney, Motorola executive vice president and president, Broadband Communications Sector. "The DCT6412 platform supports a variety of advanced applications, including Microsoft TV Foundation Edition, enabling operators to offer a single solution for such compelling entertainment options as HDTV, watch-and-record DVR and video-on-demand."

Introduced simultaneously with the Motorola DCT6412 dual-tuner set-top, Microsoft TV Foundation 1.7 enables cable operators to take advantage of the latest hardware technology on the market. Microsoft TV Foundation is a powerful and flexible digital cable software platform that is designed to promote increased consumer satisfaction, loyalty and purchasing. Foundation 1.7 builds on previous versions to enable a fluid, integrated subscriber experience across broadcast, on-demand, high-definition and time-shifted content. The software features a new video window displaying background programming while consumers are viewing static or recorded screens, and the most advanced support for digital video recording available today:

Unique video window. Foundation 1.7 features a new scaled video window showing live, delayed, recorded or on-demand programming when consumers are viewing the guide, recorded TV or informational screens on compatible set-tops.

Dual-tuner support. Foundation 1.7 enables simultaneous recording of two programs or viewing of one live show while recording another.

Most advanced recording options with improved smart series recording. With Foundation 1.7 consumers can save a specific number of episodes, extend the start or end times for a show, eliminate duplicate recordings, record only first-run episodes or reruns, and more. The software will automatically adjust for changes in program start times.

Smart progress bar. Foundation 1.7 graphically displays recording and viewing progress on screen so consumers can easily see the duration of a show, how much has been recorded and the exact point at which they are currently viewing.

Record from pause/live TV buffer. Foundation 1.7 is flexible enough to accommodate consumers who decide to record a show after they've already been watching it by saving up to 90 minutes that have already been watched.

Foundation 1.7 also includes an improved Interactive Program Guide (IPG) supporting up to 14 days of listings for high-memory set-tops. With the Foundation platform, multiple service operators (MSOs) also can offer games and information services, including local news, weather and sports content, bringing new benefits to consumers. The Foundation platform is customizable by the MSO and scales from today's thin-client, high-definition and/or DVR-enabled set-top to future-generation devices, providing a consistent consumer experience in which cable operators can promote services as their digital video offering evolves.

"Microsoft TV is proud to be one of the first to market with support for the Motorola DCT6412," said Moshe Lichtman, corporate vice president of the Microsoft TV Division at Microsoft. "Working with such key partners as Motorola, Microsoft TV continues to deliver on our promise to continually create new value for network operators and advance the market through innovative software that enhances and simplifies the consumer television experience."

Microsoft TV Foundation version 1.7 is Microsoft's fourth DVR product, and the third with dual-tuner digital video support. It will be commercially available this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5454 Old 01-31-2006, 09:26 AM

Just got off the phone with MediaCom. Trying to get them to fax or email ANY information pertaining to HD. still waiting.......

But when I spok to a CSR from Springfield (at least they said they were from Springfield when i asked) she said that they are broadcasting KSPR and KOLR in HD starting tomorrow and KYTV will soon follow, within a month or so.

this has not been verified yet from the local offices. will be calling them (KSPR and KOLR) very soon today

still waiting for fax or email.......
post #543 of 5454 Old 01-31-2006, 09:37 AM

The engineer at KOLR was unaware of them passing the signal thru to MediaCom but he did state that it was discussed late last year but he was never part of those discussions. As for OTA, he did say they would be up and running by football season, he hoped by preseason, but definately regular season.

left message with KSPR and hopefully will get a return call.
post #544 of 5454 Old 01-31-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

Just got off the phone with MediaCom. Trying to get them to fax or email ANY information pertaining to HD. still waiting.......

But when I spok to a CSR from Springfield (at least they said they were from Springfield when i asked) she said that they are broadcasting KSPR and KOLR in HD starting tomorrow and KYTV will soon follow, within a month or so.

this has not been verified yet from the local offices. will be calling them (KSPR and KOLR) very soon today

still waiting for fax or email.......

Huh!? KYTV and KSPR are already on Mediacom, in HD, and live today. I know, in my previous post, they had told me Feb. 1 but, they are pumping it down the line now and have been for a few days. I watched several shows last night, Surface for one...

I sure hope they are going to add KOLR and FOX...
post #545 of 5454 Old 01-31-2006, 10:59 AM

For those of you on Mediacom - Im thinking of switching from Dish Network since its going to be awhile before they start offering our locals in HD. Does Mediacom have the Mpeg-4 tuners out yet or should I wait until they do? I would call and ask but nobody ever seems to know what they are talking about when I call.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess it doesnt matter. I wont be switching because apparently Mediacom doesnt offer NFL Network. I dont really care about that channel right now since its mostly reruns all day long. But they are going to start carrying games next season and as a huge Chiefs fan I will be pissed if the Chiefs play on NFL Network and I dont have it.
post #546 of 5454 Old 01-31-2006, 02:39 PM

Anybody notice how in the upper left hand corner of KOLR on DirecTV there is the word "HI" in large white letters. It is there sometimes and then for several days it is gone........ weird

I have my overscan reduced so some of you may not see it.....

At any rate, it is annoying and a potential burn in problem........
post #547 of 5454 Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post

Anybody notice how in the upper left hand corner of KOLR on DirecTV there is the word "HI" in large white letters.

I've seen that a lot in their analog over the air broadcast, so it's something in their signal and not an issue specific to DirecTV.
post #548 of 5454 Old 02-01-2006, 09:42 AM

Alright I just got the Mediacom Motorola DVR/HD receiver and I have a few questions about it.

1. Why do my standard family cable channels look so bad when running through this box? They look majorly compressed and at a far less quality. Is there any way I can change this?

2. Can you hook up an OTA antenna to this box to recieve OTA HD local channels?

Thanks.
post #549 of 5454 Old 02-01-2006, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzelda23 View Post

Alright I just got the Mediacom Motorola DVR/HD receiver and I have a few questions about it.

1. Why do my standard family cable channels look so bad when running through this box? They look majorly compressed and at a far less quality. Is there any way I can change this?

Thanks.

are you not getting the locals in hd thropugh cable?
post #550 of 5454 Old 02-01-2006, 10:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If you're referring to analog cable channels, I've heard that that box doesn't do a very good job of upconverting analog channels. You can split the cable before it enters the box and run a coax directly to your TV. Then use the TV tuner to tune analog cable channels.

Quote:

No.
It does not have an 8VSB OTA tuner, only a QAM cable tuner. Use your TV's built in digital tuner or buy an external OTA tuner like this one.
post #551 of 5454 Old 02-01-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Is it a Phase III box? The Phase III is supposed to be better with analog.
post #552 of 5454 Old 02-01-2006, 12:36 PM

That is one of the reason I am not switching to Mediacom right now. Their "digitial" channels look like ass. At least they do on my bro's lcd and his plasma.

i am sticking with DirecTV until such time those non-HD channels look better
post #553 of 5454 Old 02-01-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

That is one of the reason I am not switching to Mediacom right now. Their "digitial" channels look like ass. At least they do on my bro's lcd and his plasma.

i am sticking with DirecTV until such time those non-HD channels look better

I think he was talking about the analog channels not the digital. I have a 10' screen and the digital channels look much better than when I was on satellite and the locals looked highly compressed on satellite. If using a small screen I can see that one would not see the difference as much. But, when you take it really big the PQ shows big time. All of my Starz/Encore (which are digital) look quite good.

The analog channels in the 1st production of the Moto 6412 do look like crap (better than satellite's locals) but that has been improved with Moto 6412 Phase III, from what I've read (Don't forget, we are talking about analog so it's crap no matter what). I do not have one so I cannot tell you for sure. I do hope to get one soon.

Now, the HD on Mediacom, is about the same to me except I don't get the broken digital image like I did with satellite.

Hope that helps...
post #554 of 5454 Old 02-01-2006, 04:24 PM

I don't think it is a Phase 3 considering how crappy the analog looks. I mean its way worse than just directly plugging in the coax to the TV. Do you think Springfield Mediacom has any phase 3 boxes? I don't understand why they wouldn't give you the option of what quality you wanted to record at.

I was wondering about OTA HD because mediacoms package doesn't include FOX or CBS.

"If you're referring to analog cable channels, I've heard that that box doesn't do a very good job of upconverting analog channels. You can split the cable before it enters the box and run a coax directly to your TV. Then use the TV tuner to tune analog cable channels."

Yeah, I will pobably do this, but I couldn't use the DVR's features this way right? So what would be the point. I still record and watch many analog channels considering most aren't in HD, and I don't understand why the quality has to be even worse through this DVR. This seems like a major oversight to me and makes me not even want to use the DVR except for the HD channels.

Is TIVO like this too, or do they look identical to normal analog straight from the coax to the TV? I may get a TIVO for DVR features, and use this Motorola box for HD channels.
post #555 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:

I don't think it is a Phase 3 considering how crappy the analog looks. I mean its way worse than just directly plugging in the coax to the TV. Do you think Springfield Mediacom has any phase 3 boxes? I don't understand why they wouldn't give you the option of what quality you wanted to record at.

I was wondering about OTA HD because mediacoms package doesn't include FOX or CBS.

"If you're referring to analog cable channels, I've heard that that box doesn't do a very good job of upconverting analog channels. You can split the cable before it enters the box and run a coax directly to your TV. Then use the TV tuner to tune analog cable channels."

Yeah, I will pobably do this, but I couldn't use the DVR's features this way right? So what would be the point. I still record and watch many analog channels considering most aren't in HD, and I don't understand why the quality has to be even worse through this DVR. This seems like a major oversight to me and makes me not even want to use the DVR except for the HD channels.

Is TIVO like this too, or do they look identical to normal analog straight from the coax to the TV? I may get a TIVO for DVR features, and use this Motorola box for HD channels.

\\

I had the same problem w/ that unit when i was in my apartment (displaced for a house fire for 9 months), i had mediacom come over a few times to look at it and they tried different cables, and different boxes, and i finally decided to just put a splitter on it, and run cable directly to my cable ready tv and to the box then out to tv via component. that way if i watched something live i used the cable, but i could still record shows while i was away, even though they were painful to watch, in the low res.
post #556 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 11:34 AM

I may have to do that. But I think I would rather just record with my VCR. It's higher quality than this crap. I can't believe it's this bad of quality.
post #557 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:

I may have to do that. But I think I would rather just record with my VCR. It's higher quality than this crap. I can't believe it's this bad of quality.

an expensive alternative would be to get an lg 4910 like the one i have, it does a very nice job, and although i have not tried it i hear if you have basic cable this tuner will pick up hd channels for free. I did not buy this tuner until i moved from the appartment and i cant get cable out where my house is. I use it for ota from antennae, works great i get ky hd, pbs hd, and som e other digital. i am going to try a rotor and so special cable and see if i can squeek out an abc hd signal from downtown, i dout it though.
post #558 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 03:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbizwiz View Post

an expensive alternative would be to get an lg 4910 like the one i have, it does a very nice job, and although i have not tried it i hear if you have basic cable this tuner will pick up hd channels for free...

Don't you mean an LG-3410?

That model will record OTA digital or unscrambled QAM digital cable channels. Cable systems are required to leave local HD channels unscrambled.
post #559 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 03:41 PM

Ok the mediacom guy came out today and took a look at it. I had the cable going through my VCR and that was what was making the quality so bad. It looks much better now (still not like straight to the TV, but I can live with it). Also, I'm guessing I have to buy a splitter to watch a channel while recording another.
post #560 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Heard from a friend that the 3rd sub channel KYTV is testing (3-3) will be a local weather channel. No wonder their HD picture quality has gone down hill lately. He was told that KYTV will keep 3-3 black during the olympics, and then add the weather channel on 3-3 after the olympics. I guess the picture quality of regular NBC HD programming doesn't matter to them - just the olympics....
post #561 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 06:55 PM

Is Mediacom sending the kspr shows in HD or is it just on a digital channel
post #562 of 5454 Old 02-02-2006, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

If you have a HDTV card with QAM support in your HTPC, you should be able to recieve the HD channels off of mediacom.

Edit. Make that the Local Chanels that Mediacom carries in HD. Not the premium ones.
post #563 of 5454 Old 02-03-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Don't you mean an LG-3410?

That model will record OTA digital or unscrambled QAM digital cable channels. Cable systems are required to leave local HD channels unscrambled.

my bad you are right. That was one of the components i didnt research very well, i kind of bought it on a whim, but i have been very pleased w/ it. I bought it as a demo, great price.
post #564 of 5454 Old 02-03-2006, 01:44 PM

I just received an e-mail from Nancy at KSFX, expect to be full power HD sometime in 4th quarter this year. No nascar in hd on FOX this year. "BOOOOOOOOOOO"
post #565 of 5454 Old 02-03-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSS View Post

... No nascar in hd on FOX this year.

You mean no nascar in hd on KSFX this year. Nascar will be in HD on WNYW FOX-HD, ch 88 on DirecTV, for those who have the HD package and qualify to receive it.
post #566 of 5454 Old 02-03-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

You mean no nascar in hd on KSFX this year. Nascar will be in HD on WNYW FOX-HD, ch 88 on DirecTV, for those who have the HD package and qualify to receive it.

no waivers in sw missouri, the cheap ba$$t572ds are greedy too!
post #567 of 5454 Old 02-03-2006, 02:58 PM

better move to NYC!!
post #568 of 5454 Old 02-06-2006, 07:00 AM

Review of Super Bowl XL on Mediacom:

PQ was good. Sound was not too good. Had several breaks in the audio in my area. But, at least it was in HD!
post #569 of 5454 Old 02-06-2006, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj829 View Post

better move to NYC!!

i'll just wait till dish has locals in hd later this year. That will be much better than moving to NYC. Seems kind a wierd that local stations, wont provide a service, and they wont allow a waiver so you can get that service somewhere else. But they will pass through that service to cable, whom also refuses to provide service in my area.
post #570 of 5454 Old 02-06-2006, 07:07 AM

That's true you will get a jump since they are rolling out Springfield this year.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page