Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 23 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-26-2006, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nope, I use Xlobby as the front end for my entire theater (DVDs ripped to hard drive, music, etc.) For MY-HD recordings, I'm using the browser interface within xlobby, to point to the 250 gig drive I bought to use with the MyHD. It is a quick, proof of concept screen at this point, and I'll pretty it up, so it looks like the rest of my setup.

I'm making manual reservations to setup recording, because TitanTV (the out of the box guide, recording setup for the MYHD) does not support QAM. It's not Tivo, but it's not that bad either. There are only specific shows that I want to record, and the fact that we only have 2 HDTV local QAM stations in Springfield, narrows the available shows somewhat.

My hope is that by the time that we get full HD locals (Fox,WB,CBS) here, the MyhdAuto program will be perfected and integrated into the MYHDs built in GUI/Guide. Odds are the MyhdAuto's progress will outpace our HD local rollout...

Does Beyond TV work with QAM scheduling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2006, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

quick check of Beyond TV site, tells me MYHD won't work with it. MYHD is a hardware only encoder/decoder, and does not have any BDA drivers.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for all that info. Off to do more research on Xlobby I am currently using Meedio for my frontend but it does not support the MyHD card due to the driver issue you stated above. Therefor I have been looking pretty hard at the Fusion HDTV also.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

your welcome. Might save you some research, xlobby does not "support" myhd either. It does not have any guide/scheduling features. It is more of a GUI for accessing programs, and media managment.

It is more basic than meedio, beyond tv, etc. But I selected it because I can easily change the layout of the themes. I need to do this, because I am running a 2.35:1 scope screen. The layouts/themes that everyone designs are are for 16:9 screens, and as such don't fit my screen (elements chopped off.) I tried using meedio, but the theme editor was rather un-intuitive for me. Xlobby, while basic, made more sense to me.

If you are looking for a TiVo like expeirience, using a HDTV card in you PC, I think the fusion line is your best bet. The MYHD line will probably never be supported by apps like beyond tv, sage, etc. The flipside is that, from my reading, the MYHD cards are much more stable and problem free than the fusion line.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Doss View Post

.. I also stopped by today after work to verify what I was getting and also to ask about the series III boxes.. She said they are out of DVR's right now and would not have any till March.. They are going to give me a regular box until the HD-DVR is in stock.. And prorate the service until the equipment comes in

By the term "series III" are you referring to the new Tivo Series III box with cablecard capabilities?

If so, I just spoke to a customer service rep. (after reading your message) and told her if there was any possibility that Mediacom might be offering the Tivo Series III HD recorder as one of their boxes, I would be very interested in switching from DirecTV. She said they had no information about any other brand than the current Motorola units.

Can you verify if you were referring to the Tivo Series III boxes or not? If so, who at Mediacom is saying they may soon be available?

If I have misunderstood your post, please accept my apologies. I am very anxious to have a realistic alternative to DirecTV that allows recording in HD, multiple tuner recording, and more local HD than I currently get (Mediacom is at least offering ABC in HD if I understand it correctly). I am in despair that DirecTV will not offer local HD anytime soon, and then only if the stations are broadcasting OTA HD. And they will not be offering their Mpeg4-based local HD with Tivo hardware, which I'm keen to continue using.

PLM
Old 03-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Liked: 11
They are talking about the series 3 Motorola box that offers HDMI output instead of DVI. I really doubt you'll ever see Mediacom renting Tivo based boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCacher View Post

By the term "series III" are you referring to the new Tivo Series III box with cablecard capabilities?

If so, I just spoke to a customer service rep. (after reading your message) and told her if there was any possibility that Mediacom might be offering the Tivo Series III HD recorder as one of their boxes, I would be very interested in switching from DirecTV. She said they had no information about any other brand than the current Motorola units.

Can you verify if you were referring to the Tivo Series III boxes or not? If so, who at Mediacom is saying they may soon be available?

If I have misunderstood your post, please accept my apologies. I am very anxious to have a realistic alternative to DirecTV that allows recording in HD, multiple tuner recording, and more local HD than I currently get (Mediacom is at least offering ABC in HD if I understand it correctly). I am in despair that DirecTV will not offer local HD anytime soon, and then only if the stations are broadcasting OTA HD. And they will not be offering their Mpeg4-based local HD with Tivo hardware, which I'm keen to continue using.

PLM

Old 03-01-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliehr View Post

They are talking about the series 3 Motorola box that offers HDMI output instead of DVI. I really doubt you'll ever see Mediacom renting Tivo based boxes.

OK - I was afraid it would probably be something like that. I had never seen the term "Series III" applied as a phrase one would automatically associate with any brand except the Tivo, but then again, I've led a sheltered life :-)

Thanks for the reply.

PLM
Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 PM

Well what a interesting day this was. The tech from directv came out today to hook everything up. I ordered the H20 receiver because it is mpeg-4. The 3 sat dish that they put on the roof isnt. So the dish that was on his work order is a big 40 lb. dish that they're not allowed to put on a roof. The only way it can be installed is on a poll in your yard. Plus they charge you $75 for that. I was going to do it but we didnt have a clear line of site so I had to go with the roof 3 sat dish. Its all fine and dandy but when directv starts nation-wide locals in HD, my roof dish wont pick them up. From what my tech, and 3 other techs I spoke to on the phone from directv said, if you want locals in HD from directv in 2007 or whenever it is, you have to have a poll mounted dish in your yard. No line of site and your stuck with the off-air antenna route. Had I known all this I would have just went with mediacom. I must say though, the SD channels look 100 times better than mediacom and a little better than dish network.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:04 PM

I'm new to this forum and to HDTV. I was wondering how much of KY3's broadcast is actually in DD 5.1. I recently built a Media Center PC with an HDTV tuner in it. I noticed that the other night "Medium" was showing up in DD 2.0 on my receiver and so was Law & Order: SVU last night. I'm just wondering if my system is not configured right or if they are sporadic about broadcasting in 5.1.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie600 View Post

I'm new to this forum and to HDTV. I was wondering how much of KY3's broadcast is actually in DD 5.1. I recently built a Media Center PC with an HDTV tuner in it. I noticed that the other night "Medium" was showing up in DD 2.0 on my receiver and so was Law & Order: SVU last night. I'm just wondering if my system is not configured right or if they are sporadic about broadcasting in 5.1.

I'm think I remember seeing 5.1 on KY3 before (maybe during the olympics???), but only once or twice. Most shows seem to be in 2.0, as in Medium and L&O, as you've noted.

Given our paltry choice of HD in the area, I guess we should be glad to get what we can get. At least my receiver does a decent job of simulating 6.1/7.1 from the 2.0 broadcasts.

PLM
Old 03-01-2006, 07:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic646 View Post

... From what my tech, and 3 other techs I spoke to on the phone from directv said, if you want locals in HD from directv in 2007 or whenever it is, you have to have a poll mounted dish in your yard. No line of site and your stuck with the off-air antenna route.

D* is coming out with a smaller 5LNB dish later this year that weighs a lot less and may not require a pole mount. By the time Springfield locals get added, the new smaller dish may be available. See the new dish in the .pdf file of the first post of this thread over at sat guys.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

...At least my receiver does a decent job of simulating 6.1/7.1 from the 2.0 broadcasts...

I connected the analog audio L+R cables and switch to DPLII when a broadcast is DD 2.0. Also use DPLII when DD 5.1 gets out of sync on some OTA or sat channels.

DPLII sounds very good.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 AM

are these mpeg 4 tuners giving a better sd pq than the mpeg 2, or are they only better in hd stuff?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

D* is coming out with a smaller 5LNB dish later this year that weighs a lot less and may not require a pole mount. By the time Springfield locals get added, the new smaller dish may be available. See the new dish in the .pdf file of the first post of this thread over at sat guys.

well thats good news. I wonder how much they're going to charge me to upgrade to that dish...
Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

trbizwiz,

Almost everyone has reported better picture quality with the H20 on all channels, both HD & SD. Changing from the Samsung HD boxes, I noticed a significant improvement in all channels. The picture appears less "soft" than before. YMMV, of course, depending on what display you have and how it's connected to the H20.

The improved PQ and improved Springfield OTA reception are the only reasons I bought another H20 to replace my 2nd Samsung receiver.

There are tradoffs: I hate the clunky GUI and slow guide, and this box does not receive analog OTA channels using an antenna - only digital.

There aren't any MPEG4 channels available in this area yet, so I can't comment on MPEG4 PQ...

Be aware that as of March 1, you must still pay an up front fee for an H20 or upcoming MPEG4 DVR, but you will no longer own the equipment. It is leased just like a cableco box and must be returned to D* if you cancel service or change equipment.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:55 AM

I have dish now w/ the old mpeg 2 boxes now. And apparently i have an 18 month contract, w/ about 14 months left. So I guess, I will just have to buy the receiver out right, they wont give me a deal. I guess it was smart on their part to lock me in for 18 months w/ old technology, so i am stuck for a year and a half at no cost to them.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:

I'm think I remember seeing 5.1 on KY3 before (maybe during the olympics???), but only once or twice. Most shows seem to be in 2.0, as in Medium and L&O, as you've noted.

Given our paltry choice of HD in the area, I guess we should be glad to get what we can get. At least my receiver does a decent job of simulating 6.1/7.1 from the 2.0 broadcasts.

PLM

I thought I saw KY3 in 5.1 during the Olympics one night, but it was when I was getting my system all set up. Then the next night it was in 2.0 so I thought something was wrong on my end. Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:18 AM

Im thinking about buying an antenna to pick up local hd channels KYTV-DT 3.1, KSPR-DT 19.1, and KOZK-DT 21.1 in Springfield. Im debating between the Terrestrial Digital DB8 and the Terrestrial Digital LacrosseA Amplified Multi-Directional HDTV antennas. I know antennasdirect.com is highly recommended by many people on these forums, but I found both of these antennas at affordablehdtv.com for a LOT less. Can someone with any experience on either of these antennas or websites give me your opinion? TIA.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I would get a Channel Master CM 4228. Roughly same gain as the DB8 for the channels used in Springfield, for only 40 bucks + shipping at warren electronics.

Comparison of some commercially available antennas HERE.
Old 03-04-2006, 06:44 PM

Thanks for the links. Have you used the CM 4228? From what I read, it is just about as good as the DB8 but it is directional while the DB8 is multi-directional. I liked the idea of having a multi-directional antenna because I dont have to have it aimed perfectly, movement from wind probably wont affect it as much, and I may be able to pick up more channels.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The higher the gain, the higer the directionality. If you want something less directional, choose an antenna with less gain. How far are you from the transmitters?

I'm not currently using a CM 4228, but I know people who are, and are pleased with the antenna. YMMV

I've been planning on ordering one from warren elec. to replace the antenna that came with the house I moved into several months ago. CM4228 will also work fairly well for highband VHF channels 7-13. KOLR will likely move back to high VHF 10 from UHF 52, when analog goes dark and channels 52-69 must vacate that space.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:31 PM

According to antennaweb.org Im about 22 miles and I have to point my antenna east. When using a directional antenna, do you need a compass or can you get good results from just eyeballing it?
Old 03-04-2006, 09:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

At that distance I would just get a CM 4221. Must less precise aiming needed. A compass isn't needed if you roughly know the direction of the towers. Either align for semi-decent analog reception or tune to a digital channel and tweak the antenna for highest and steadiest (non-fluctuating) signal strength.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:46 AM

Thanks for all the info, you've been very helpful. One more question and I'll leave you alone - Is there a tool for measuring the digital channel reception I can use while Im on my roof trying to align my antenna? I'd hate to have to keep climbing up and down from my roof to check my tv reception. I would just ask my wife to tell me out of the window but her idea of good reception probably isnt the same as mine.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

A standalone SS meter would be too expensive.

If your tuner's signal strength meter has an audible beep, turn up the TV volume, open a window and listen for the beep to change as you move the antenna. If no audible meter, you need a 2nd person to help you. Use a cellphone on the roof to talk to the helper.

Have you determined the compass direction to point the antenna from antennaweb? That should be really all you need w/ a multidirectional antenna. Enter your address & 9-digit ZIP at http://www.antenaweb.org
(UNcheck the "ok to contact me" boxes so they won't send you junk mail)
On the results page, choose digital channels only and note the compass direction in degrees shown there for the channels.
Click the Street map for a graphic.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Yes I just did that. 3.1 is 97 degrees, 19.1 is 89 degrees, and 21.1 is 98 degrees. So I concluded that I should aim it between 93 and 94 degrees to pick them all up. Im using the H20 from directv but Im not sure if it has a signal strength beep or not.

EDIT: Okay I just purchased the 4228 from Warren electronics. Its probably more power than I need, but Ive read a lot of great reviews on it and I like the idea that it has at least some VHF capabilities. Warren electronics was the cheapest place I could find it, but Im kind of worried because they dont tell you how much the shipping is until after they charge your cc. Thats kind of ridiculous because if they wanted they could charge me so much it may end up being cheaper somewhere else.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Since KSPR-DT (ABC) is low power and KYTV-DT (NBC) & KOZK-DT (PBS) are full power, I would start by aiming directly at the weakest channel - KSPR-DT, or about 90° (exactly due East). If you have a multi-directional antenna like a CM 4221, a few degrees either way may not make any difference.

Where the antenna is physically installed may make more of a difference. Like cell phones or FM radio, sometimes just moving the antenna a few feet away from its present location can make a world of difference if you happened to have installed it in a "dead" spot.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotic646 View Post

Yes I just did that. 3.1 is 97 degrees, 19.1 is 89 degrees, and 21.1 is 98 degrees. So I concluded that I should aim it between 93 and 94 degrees to pick them all up. Im using the H20 from directv but Im not sure if it has a signal strength beep or not.

EDIT: Okay I just purchased the 4228 from Warren electronics. Its probably more power than I need, but Ive read a lot of great reviews on it and I like the idea that it has at least some VHF capabilities. Warren electronics was the cheapest place I could find it, but Im kind of worried because they dont tell you how much the shipping is until after they charge your cc. Thats kind of ridiculous because if they wanted they could charge me so much it may end up being cheaper somewhere else.

I've used Warren in the past and their shipping has always been reasonable and very fast. It will cost more to ship the 4228 than the 4221, which is 1/2 the size and weight of the 4228. But you will get an email telling you how much the total will be. If you want to cancel, just call 'em Monday morning. They won't bill your card until the antenna is shipped.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Where the antenna is physically installed may make more of a difference. Like cell phones or FM radio, sometimes just moving the antenna a few feet away from its present location can make a world of difference if you happened to have installed it in a "dead" spot.

So I should hook the antenna up first and find my reception before I drill any holes in my roof for the mount.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:05 PM

Any word on the weatherplus channel?I think I would like it if we can get rid of UPN.

Also is 33 broadcasting HD OTA at low power or just digital?