Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #781 of 5474 Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

Any new word from KOLR, KDEB or KSPR on HD?

I received these responses from stations:

From KOLR10 "We're installing high-definition equipment as we speak and plan to be broadcasting a full-power high definition signal by sometime in 4th quarter of this year. Thanks for your patience. "

From KSFX FOX "The last projected date I have heard is sometime in October of this year, but I cannot guarantee that it will happen in that month. We are still supposed to be full power digital this year."

-Leon

G'day
Leon

31 miles OTA San Antonio
70 Miles OTA Ozarks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 5474 Old 06-23-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSplice View Post

Picked up KSNF-16 (Joplin) analog in STL this morning at 0720 CDT. Normally, WUSI, Olney IL is on that freq.

I live only 10 miles from the KSNF-16 tower, and I have not yet been able to receive their signal! Does anyone have any suggestions, as I have experimented a great deal without any success.
post #783 of 5474 Old 06-23-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdaiisha View Post

I live only 10 miles from the KSNF-16 tower, and I have not yet been able to receive their signal! Does anyone have any suggestions, as I have experimented a great deal without any success.

No significant terrain between you and KSNF. Usual questions:

Antenna- indoors, outdoors, type?
If outdoors, location and height?
Analog or DTV reception?
Type of set/receiver?
post #784 of 5474 Old 06-23-2006, 07:45 PM

I should have read your post more clearly (analog signal). I can recieve the analog signal without any problems, but the digital signal eludes me.

Anyway, answers to the typical questions:
Outdoor, roof-mounted antennas
- ChannelMaster UHF (4-Bay)
- Radioshack VU190XR (VHF/UHF/FM Combo)
Both antennas are mounted on the roof of my single story house (~25' above ground). The CM is aimed south/south-west to receive the UHF signal from KODE-DT (channel 43) and KSNF-DT (channel 46). The VU190XR is aimed west to receive KOAM-DT (channel 13) and also brings in all analog channels for the forementioned stations.
I own a Samsung TX-R3079WH tv with built-in tuner (all modes up to and including 1080i).

I should note that all my unused coax jacks are terminated, and I have a 4-way ChannelMaster distribution amplifier mounted in my garage (~50 of wire from antenna to this point) to boost the signal. I have a DirecTV mini dish signal also. All the antennas (including the DirecTV dish) share a common coax cable to the distribution amplifier. I have to split the DirecTV and OTA signals prior to amplification. The DirecTV signal is blocked by the amp, thus I combine them again after the amp. I installed a DC block and FM trap on the OTA signal split to prevent loops and to remove FM interference.

I should note that I receive KOAM-DT @ 70% signal strength (~14 miles from tower) and KOZJ-DT (PBS) @ 80% strength (~10 miles from tower). KODE-DT barely is received (depending on weather) @ 10% strength. I believe KODE and KOZJ are on the same tower and broadcast at the same power. Odd that I can receive one, but not the other. I cannot receive KSNF-DT at all.

What next? Move?
post #785 of 5474 Old 06-23-2006, 08:55 PM

Quote:

I believe KODE and KOZJ are on the same tower and broadcast at the same power. Odd that I can receive one, but not the other.

Yes and no:

KOZJ-DT and KODE-DT are on the same tower, but KOZJ-DT is full power and KODE-DT is still low power. Last I heard, KOZJ-DT was still the only full power digital station in the Joplin market.
post #786 of 5474 Old 06-23-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:

I should have read your post more clearly (analog signal). I can recieve the analog signal without any problems, but the digital signal eludes me.

Anyway, answers to the typical questions:
Outdoor, roof-mounted antennas
- ChannelMaster UHF (4-Bay)
- Radioshack VU190XR (VHF/UHF/FM Combo)
Both antennas are mounted on the roof of my single story house (~25' above ground). The CM is aimed south/south-west to receive the UHF signal from KODE-DT (channel 43) and KSNF-DT (channel 46). The VU190XR is aimed west to receive KOAM-DT (channel 13) and also brings in all analog channels for the forementioned stations.
I own a Samsung TX-R3079WH tv with built-in tuner (all modes up to and including 1080i).

I should note that all my unused coax jacks are terminated, and I have a 4-way ChannelMaster distribution amplifier mounted in my garage (~50 of wire from antenna to this point) to boost the signal. I have a DirecTV mini dish signal also. All the antennas (including the DirecTV dish) share a common coax cable to the distribution amplifier. I have to split the DirecTV and OTA signals prior to amplification. The DirecTV signal is blocked by the amp, thus I combine them again after the amp. I installed a DC block and FM trap on the OTA signal split to prevent loops and to remove FM interference.

I should note that I receive KOAM-DT @ 70% signal strength (~14 miles from tower) and KOZJ-DT (PBS) @ 80% strength (~10 miles from tower). KODE-DT barely is received (depending on weather) @ 10% strength. I believe KODE and KOZJ are on the same tower and broadcast at the same power. Odd that I can receive one, but not the other. I cannot receive KSNF-DT at all.

What next? Move?

Why, yes. STL isn't too bad...

You're covering all the basics well. I would say that your local stations are screwing you over, with the exception of KOZJ. Short of moving over to West 20th Street next to the tower farm (not recommended), you're gonna have to wait until they can afford the electric bill. Sorry, guy.
post #787 of 5474 Old 06-24-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkSplice View Post

...you're gonna have to wait until they can afford the electric bill. Sorry, guy.

That's funny, cause I work for the local electric utility.

I can just hope the "old money" in Joplin begin to purchase (and demand) digital broadcast at an incredible rate. Maybe then the advertising dollars will be there to support the full strength. Otherwise, when has the FCC mandated full power broadcasts?
post #788 of 5474 Old 06-24-2006, 09:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
According to the FCC site, KODE's temporary permit for low power operation expired 6/19/06.

KSNF's expires 7/3/06.

I couldn't find KOAM's STA.
post #789 of 5474 Old 06-24-2006, 07:46 PM

Does this mean both KODE and KSNF will be required to broadcast at full power now that their STAs have expired?

I know KOAM broadcasts at low power, but I receive it @ 75% strength; and it's HD, not SD like the others. Speaking of HD, is there a way to know when the other stations will be required to switch from SD to HD?
post #790 of 5474 Old 06-24-2006, 10:25 PM

Quote:

Does this mean both KODE and KSNF will be required to broadcast at full power now that their STAs have expired?

Not necessarily; they may have applied for an extension and the new expiration info may not have trickled out to the various online databases yet. I'm not sure how much longer the FCC will be granting extensions.

Quote:

I know KOAM broadcasts at low power, but I receive it @ 75% strength; and it's HD, not SD like the others. Speaking of HD, is there a way to know when the other stations will be required to switch from SD to HD?

KOAM-DT is VHF (13), so even at low power they likely have much better propagation than the UHF DTs in your area. There is no requirement for DTV stations to broadcast HD, nor is there one in the works.
post #791 of 5474 Old 07-27-2006, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I apologize for taking the discussion here off-topic, but hopefully this will turn out to be relevant and useful to the video connoisseurs who read and contribute here regularly.

I'm an independent, ISF video calibrator, based in St. Louis, who makes occasional visits to other cities in the Midwest to provide calibration services to consumers. I'm ISF-trained and have been working full time as a calibrator for more than 4 years, with expertise in all types of video displays, including CRT, plasma, DLP, LCD, and LCoS (DILA, SXRD, etc), ranging from direct-view, rear-projection or front-projection systems.

I'm now beginning to plan for a calibration tour to the Kansas City area that will take place for 10 to 14 days during the August 10-31 period. I'm hoping to include Springfield in my travels during that period, which is why I'm posting this note here.

Anyone in the Springfield area who's interested in learning more about video calibration or would like to discuss an appointment during my August dates, you can send me an AVS private message.

In addition to Kansas City and Springfield, I'm also expecting to make stops in Lincoln and Omaha, NE; and Lawrence, KS, during August.

Doug

Clearly Resolved Image & Sound
Lion AV Consultants
ISF & THX Video Calibration
Real-time Twitter Home Theater News
post #792 of 5474 Old 07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Doug

Ordinarily, solicitations such as the above belong in the AVS Club areas. However, we've made exceptions for ISF calibrators in other local threads, though generally the plug comes from a third party. I'll leave it up to the regular posters in this thread to PM me opinions on whether or not to move you, Doug.

Dr Don (former KFSB & KWTO-FM DJ in the 80s)

PS: I miss Erntefest

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #793 of 5474 Old 07-28-2006, 01:39 PM

Well at least someone made a post here. I began to think everyone has just gave up on local HD.

I see KY3 advertising the CW network this fall. Just hope it has it's own digital channel number.

I do kinda remember Dr Don. I'm still listening to old Woody P Snow.
post #794 of 5474 Old 07-28-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Like UPN, the CW will be at the KYTV-DT trough, along with NBC WeatherPlus, sucking bandwidth and picture quality from NBC-HD.
post #795 of 5474 Old 07-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

When I can, I watch NBC in HD via KALB in Alexandria, LA... on nights that conditions are favorable, and they do an excellent job with HD. I remember when I was in Diamond City a couple weeks ago, how amazing I thought NBC-HD looked on KYTV... one can definitely tell the difference when a station is, or is not multicasting!

HD OTA From Houston, TX

KPRC 2 (NBC-HD)
KUHT 8 (PBS-HD)
KHOU 11 (CBS-HD)
KTRK 13 (ABC-HD)
KTXH 20 (MNTV-HD)
KRIV 26 (FOX-HD)
KIAH 39 (CW-HD)
post #796 of 5474 Old 07-29-2006, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

Like UPN, the CW will be at the KYTV-DT trough, along with NBC WeatherPlus, sucking bandwidth and picture quality from NBC-HD.

This sucks, I probably won't watch much of the CW network till we get a good picture.
post #797 of 5474 Old 07-30-2006, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSS View Post

This sucks, I probably won't watch much of the CW network till we get a good picture.

you will never get to watch it then most likely I imagine it will look just as bad as UPN does now.
post #798 of 5474 Old 08-03-2006, 07:47 AM

I usually just read and don't post much, but this is what I learned this week from KOLR 10. I had inquired about the possibility of HD before football.

"We had hoped to be HD full power by the start of the NFL season. Due to
equipment order issues & other complications, the date is looking like
sometime mid-November. I can not give an HD waiver because there is no
temporary waiver system which would allow for us to get the viewers back
when we had the HD Signal available. We are working very hard to make HD
available to this market & have already received some shipments needed
to make it happen but it won't be completed as early as we had hoped.
Thanks for the inquiry."
post #799 of 5474 Old 08-03-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 3 View Post

I usually just read and don't post much, but this is what I learned this week from KOLR 10. I had inquired about the possibility of HD before football.

"We had hoped to be HD full power by the start of the NFL season. Due to
equipment order issues & other complications, the date is looking like
sometime mid-November. I can not give an HD waiver because there is no
when we had the HD Signal available. We are working very hard to make HD
available to this market & have already received some shipments needed
to make it happen but it won't be completed as early as we had hoped.
Thanks for the inquiry."

Its unfortunate that their greed has them hiding behind laws to keep viewers. If they practiced free market ethics, they would know to offer a superior product that meets and exceeds customer expectations, as well as being on par w/ or better than the competition (KY3), is a much better solution to keeping viewership. If they granted hd waivers, and allowed our needs to be met in the mean time if they improved their antiquated electronics to something that mimics Y2k or newer technology, possibly offering better quality broadcast, than the rest, we the viewers would come back in droves. As a viewer I just want the best possible broadcast quality for given broadcast material, even if I have to pay for it. And as a broadcaster they want to keep every viewer the law allows, and unfortunately the law allows them to keep viewers, and only make minimal efforts to improve their quality. I mean come on they are 2 years behind KY3. Ill bet though that their sales staff is selling advertising on the fact that they will be broadcasting NFL in HD. Good for them and pi$$ on us!
I don't know if it is possible to "move" to kansas city viewing area, but I know that kc natives having been watching the chiefs for the better part of 2 years in HD. whats a good address to move to w/ dish network?
post #800 of 5474 Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill 3 View Post

[i]"... I can not give an HD waiver because there is no
when we had the HD Signal available."[i]

This is pure BS. Existing waivers are revoked as soon as local HD channels begin being provided to a DirecTV subscriber.

If you have DirecTV you can get NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX HD free if you subscribe to springfield standard def locals on D* and "move" your service address to:
39 N MAIN ST
EUREKA SPRINGS AR 72632-3602

This address is "NON-DELIVERABLE" for mail, but shows up in the DirecTV address database as qualified for NY HD feeds.
What is Non-Deliverable? Any address that shows up in the USPS database, but is not deliverable because the address does not accept mail, or the building is non-existant or has been torn down.
post #801 of 5474 Old 08-03-2006, 01:43 PM

I will probably watch some on 27, 10 and 33 when they provide us with HD. Since 27 and 33 will be doing all the nascar races next year, it will be my only source. It will still take me a long time to forgive them for dragging their feet.

I believe KY3 has been doing HD since 2001.
i
post #802 of 5474 Old 08-03-2006, 02:02 PM

You think they are just buying time in order to save money as long as possible?

That is a shame. Is KY3 that much better off financially than the others in the market?

Arxaw, you think that is what is going on with KNWA down here as well?
post #803 of 5474 Old 08-03-2006, 06:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkie View Post

You think they are just buying time in order to save money as long as possible?

Yes.

Quote:

That is a shame. Is KY3 that much better off financially than the others in the market?

No.

Quote:

Arxaw, you think that is what is going on with KNWA down here as well?

Yes.
Every day KNWA, KOLR & KSFX don't have a full power station is another day that Deathstar doesn't have to pay the power bill for it.
post #804 of 5474 Old 08-04-2006, 06:42 AM

I personally don't watch any channels that aren't on the hd menu of my dish guide, except for ky3, so kolr & ksfx don't have my viewership anyway, and the only way they will get it is during NFL. I did not waste 10's of thousands of dollars on plasma tv's, and a dedicated AV room with a 118 inch front projection set up, to watch that crappy broadcast quality.
post #805 of 5474 Old 08-04-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbizwiz View Post

I personally don't watch any channels that aren't on the hd menu of my dish guide, except for ky3, so kolr & ksfx don't have my viewership anyway, and the only way they will get it is during NFL. I did not waste 10's of thousands of dollars on plasma tv's, and a dedicated AV room with a 118 inch front projection set up, to watch that crappy broadcast quality.

Man, it looks bad enough on my 65" set. I bet it is really bad at 118"......
post #806 of 5474 Old 08-04-2006, 09:38 PM

all I know is that every time I drive by KOLR/KSFX I want to throw rocks at their building......

as for the moving thing with DirecTV, I never could get them to get me HD locals. Every time I tried to "move" to a location in the DMZ that was considered eligible, they still said I needed a waiver. I guess I am just not smooth enough with the techs :P
post #807 of 5474 Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 AM

I have tried moving in the past (twice) and still couldnt get the national HD feeds.

Now a question I do have that can't find an answer for:

Since one can subscribe to local content over DirecTV and DirecTV claims it is putting up a bunch of sats to push down "local HD signals", is this avaliable in Springfield yet?

Another words, could one subscribe the local and HD and recieve the national ABC, CBS, and FOX feeds? My gut feeling is "no" since I cant find anything about it. -Never mind on this, just found it on the website: HD Local Channels: High-definition (HD) local channels from DIRECTV are not available in your area at this time.
post #808 of 5474 Old 08-08-2006, 05:06 PM

Latest Email from KOLR Need to start at bottom and work up:

I'm not aware of any temporary waivers but will check into it.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 6:43 PM
To: dsmith@kolr10.com
Subject: RE: KOLR and HD

Mr. Smith,

I am sorry to hear that.

Would it be possible to get a temporary waiver so one could get the HD
feed from another region.

I understand that once HD is available, that waiver is automatically
revoked.

Thanks

Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 3:32 PM
To:
Cc: Dean Wasson
Subject: RE: KOLR and HD

We have everything on order but ran into a problem with the tower &
won't be able to complete the project until mid-November. Thanks for the
inquiry.

Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 1:09 PM
To: dsmith@kolr10.com
Subject: KOLR and HD

Mr. Smith,

I am a DirecTV HD subscriber and have been for some time. I have
applied in the past for a waiver to recieve a HD CBS signal (which I was
denied). That is understandable since your station indicated that it
would be up to full power HD by September, if not late August
(pre-season NFL). That is what was explained to me last winter.

My question is: What is the current status of KOLR and HD broadcasting?

Many thanks.

Of course I thanked him, but it is interesting to note that he carbon copied his response to me to Dean Wasson. Is he the GM of KOLR?
post #809 of 5474 Old 08-09-2006, 08:01 AM

Here is my latest. Nothing new, but though I would pass it on.

Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 11:29 AM
To:
Cc: Dean Wasson; Nancy Bingaman
Subject: RE: DTV

Yes. Both KSFX & KOLR are on the same schedule. DirecTV & DISH are not
capable of rebroadcasting our HD signal currently but will at some
point. Thanks.

Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 10:55 AM
To: David Smith
Subject: RE: DTV

Mr. Smith,

Thank you for your reply. I am looking forward to the HD signal
as soon as I can get it. I currently receive local channels through
DirecTV. Are you not planning on selling (or however it works) your HD
feed to the satellite companies? Assuming you would, I would think that
as soon as it was available, then my waiver to receive distant HD
channels would no longer be valid (or needed) and you would have my
business regardless.

I actually have hopes of having a good enough OTA digital signals from
all the local stations that I can cancel my local feeds though DirecTV
and save $$.

Can you tell me if KSFX (27) the partner to KOLR (10) is on the same
schedule for HD as KOLR (10) is?

Thank you again,
post #810 of 5474 Old 08-09-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX10 View Post

I have tried moving in the past (twice) and still couldnt get the national HD feeds.

A friend of mine just "moved" to Mena, AR, just last week and got NY HD channels added free. All that was required was an HD receiver and a subscription to local channels. In Mena, their local channels are from Little Rock. My "service" address is in Mena, too, and I get the same channels.

Quote:

Since one can subscribe to local content over DirecTV and DirecTV claims it is putting up a bunch of sats to push down "local HD signals", is this avaliable in Springfield yet? [/b]

No.
Even if DirecTV had the satellite capacity (they won't until next year), they couldn't offer all the Springfield locals in HD right now because some of the Springfield local stations aren't even broadcasting in HD yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page