Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 5454 Old 08-31-2004, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just emailed the Chief Engineer at KSPR this past week. Apparently they now have a digital signal, but at low power. He said don't expect High Definition anytime soon from them either. I emailed about waivers, but have not heard back from him yet on whether they grant them or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 5454 Old 08-31-2004, 03:03 PM

Kevinlane, just read your question about D* carrying Springfield's locals. Go look at the threads over at DBSTALK.COM. Over there, they are listing as a rumor that we will get locals around 9/28. It started by saying that we were going to need a second dish to receive them. Now the talk is that D* is coming out with a new dish that will recieve from five satellites, so we might only need one dish.

This is all rumor on the other forums. I called D* and they said the same thing as you. Sometime between now and the end of the year.

Who knows.... I'm so fed up with trying to get decent looking locals on my TV, that I am in hopes that these rumors are true.
post #63 of 5454 Old 08-31-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by gwb2
I just emailed the Chief Engineer at KSPR this past week. Apparently they now have a digital signal, but at low power. He said don't expect High Definition anytime soon from them either. I emailed about waivers, but have not heard back from him yet on whether they grant them or not.

Hey GWB2, thanks for the reply.

Guess what I just came from Heather electronics on Republic rd in between Fremont and National, one of the guys there told me he thought that KSPR hasn't yet moved their transmissions out to the Fordland towers.
He said it was from somewhere downtown. So I climbed up into the attic and aimed for downtown. I got it!!! KSPR-dt 19-1 I'm watching it right now. I've tuned it in on my HD10-250 DirecTv tivo unit.

However this takes away from a simple install like I had hoped for. I was able to get KOLR 10-1 and KDEB 27-1(the second tier of receivable channels) but that was aiming for Forland. So now it appears that in order to get ALL the available digital stations in our area that we'll(us guys that live in Nixa, that's me) need a rotor.

LMK if you can get that waiver as I was able to get 10-1 3-1 3-2 21-1 21-2 21-3 21-4 & 27-1 aming for Fordland, ABC is at this point, to my knowledge, the maverick as far as where to aim for. A waiver from ABC, combined with aiming for Fordland, could be our best hope for now.

Thx
KLB

PS I'll check out that thread you've turned me onto.

KLB
post #64 of 5454 Old 08-31-2004, 04:24 PM

Hey again GWB2, would you post the email address of the engineer at KSPR. I'll email him too, and just maybe, the more requests the better!

KLB
post #65 of 5454 Old 08-31-2004, 07:51 PM

Wait a minute.....

KSPR should only be broadcasting in digitial not HD. Is it receiving in HD?

All I get on for now on local HD broadcast is KY3 and KOZK (1080i for both). The rest are broadcasting digitial only (480p)

Also, for those of us who have DirecTV, go to channel 74 and you will see that Bravo HD is up and running.

My twin brother just got the mediacom hd deal and his hd content looks good, but his "digitial cable" looks like ass. In fact he was thinking about dropping it since 1) their channel selection is bad, and 2) their digitial channels looked crappy. My directv normal channels look much better
post #66 of 5454 Old 08-31-2004, 08:14 PM
tch

Quote:

Originally posted by THX10
Wait a minute.....

KSPR should only be broadcasting in digitial not HD. Is it receiving in HD?

You just beat me to the question.

Anyone see "Father of the Pride"? First thing I have seen in HD from KY3. Looked great. PBS doesn't always look all that great. I think all those sub channels (4) detract from the signal. I don't think its possible to have all those digital channels AND run HD so I wonder if we are really seeing 1080i from PBS.

On another subject, anyone know of a decent channel guide? I never know what is on PBS HD (21-2) because Titan tv only shows a duplicate of the analog station. I complained to them but got a canned response.
post #67 of 5454 Old 09-01-2004, 05:07 AM

Sorry all, I didn't specify.
KSPR IS NOT broadcasting in HD , however, I am able to get it in SD using my "digital only" tuner in the HD10-250

KLB
post #68 of 5454 Old 09-01-2004, 06:00 PM

LOL

I was starting to get a bit excited about that.

tch, as far as KOZK I agree, some of the programs are not as crisp as others they put on. I attribute that to the origional recording of that particular show. When I spoke with the engineer he said they switch power (for lack of a better term) from PBS Kids and put it into HD feed at night.
post #69 of 5454 Old 09-27-2004, 03:52 PM

I have a feeling that KOLR 10's new set will have several plasmas/lcd's to show off how modern they have become.

If there are, ole David (GM) @ Kolr will be getting more email from me about the "lack" of HD displays in Springpatch!

Fire 'em up!

Let's stamp out & abolish redundancy!
post #70 of 5454 Old 09-28-2004, 10:31 AM

At least up there you have a chance at picking up their weak signals. We are in the Springfield DMA down here in Arkansas. The only digital I get is KY-3.....

The rest are just blips on the signal meter.

At least I am able to get Fayetteville ABC and CBS in HD.....

I will be glad to get Springfield locals on D*.......
post #71 of 5454 Old 09-28-2004, 11:40 AM
tch

Quote:

Originally posted by Arkie
At least up there you have a chance at picking up their weak signals. We are in the Springfield DMA down here in Arkansas. The only digital I get is KY-3.....

The rest are just blips on the signal meter.

At least I am able to get Fayetteville ABC and CBS in HD.....

I will be glad to get Springfield locals on D*.......

Well then, if you get ABC and CBS in HD consider yourself lucky because you are better off than most of us. I'm in Ozark and cannot get anything broadcasting HD except KY3 and PBS. Sure, I see digital stations from CBS and FOX but they are NOT broadcasting in HD. I don't even see digital from ABC and that network has LOTS of HD content. I can't tell you how much it pisses me off that they continue to drag their feet.
The funny thing is that I watch all the commercials on KY3 because I watch HD shows real time. I PVR the other network's shows and zip through the commercials. I hope their sponsors know that.
post #72 of 5454 Old 09-28-2004, 03:24 PM

You are right, I do have an advantage of being able to pull CBS and ABC and PBS from another DMA.

Funny thing is, I can't even get a blip from KOZK at all. I thought they were available down here.

The problem I am having is with Sunday Ticket. Any game that is carried by Fox 27 or KOLR 10 is blacked out for me, even the HD feeds.....

What a crock......
post #73 of 5454 Old 10-08-2004, 09:27 PM

I live in SW Springfield and have DirecTV HD and an OTA in my attic.

I seem to pick up 21-2 and 3-1 pretty good but the signals are average. Bouncing between 45-65. I checked the alignment/pointing and it is correct. I know that it is not good to have it inside my attic but that is where it is and will stay. I am thinking about getting a new OTA so I can pick up the other (******) digitial signals from our other (******) local stations.

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah dont get me started on the f*&^ing blackouts on HD Sunday Ticket for the Chiefs or Rams games. You out THINK that they would allow the HD content thru to us. Wait, I will stop before I get too worked up.
post #74 of 5454 Old 10-09-2004, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I also have an antena in my attic. I get 3,21,27 And sometimes if I hold my mouth right 10.. I am useing a Yagi from RS.. YMMV I am on a hill also
post #75 of 5454 Old 10-10-2004, 09:47 AM
tch

Quote:
I seem to pick up 21-2 and 3-1 pretty good but the signals are average. Bouncing between 45-65. I checked the alignment/pointing and it is correct. I know that it is not good to have it inside my attic but that is where it is and will stay. I am thinking about getting a new OTA so I can pick up the other (******) digitial signals from our other (******) local stations.

Just for reference... I am in Ozark and have my antenna in the attic. Channel 3-1 and 21-1 come blasting in at a signal strength of 95. All others out of Fordland are 70 or better. No ABC HD or digital at all. Antenna is a cheap (bottom or nearly bottom of the line) Radio Shack directional purchased 8 years ago.
post #76 of 5454 Old 10-10-2004, 01:23 PM

One reason you wont get ABC in HD is because they are not broadcasting in HD.

They are only doing a low watt digitial
post #77 of 5454 Old 10-10-2004, 02:35 PM

My situation just to add to everyone elses observations:

I'm in Nixa, and just like in Ozark, 3-1 and 21-* are getting 90-95 sig strength.
10-1 & 28-1(KDEB) are about 65.

To get ABC (19-1) in digital, I have to reaim for downtown, and I get about 65 or so.

My antennae is in the attic also. I have an RCA VHF/UHF/FM directional

Again, Aim for Forland to get everything BUT ABC
(BTW I can still get 3-1 and 21-* while aimed at downtown, but much weaker and iffy)

So I have to trade off:
aiming for ABC will lose stability on 3 and 21 and lose 10 and 27 altogether.

Hope it helps

KLB
post #78 of 5454 Old 10-10-2004, 05:02 PM

I see where Springfield locals are to be added to DirecTV October 26.
post #79 of 5454 Old 10-10-2004, 05:13 PM

But by adding local channels, will that allow us to receive the national HD feeds?

I dont care about locals on DirecTV as long as I can get CBS in HD just for football alone.

IF they offer locals, WILL they allow the HD feed to be received and not blacked out?

Also, any new news on FOX or ABC going to HD?

and with my weaker signal strength, methinks I might need a new antenna. Are you guys running a uni-directional or omni-directional OTA?
post #80 of 5454 Old 10-10-2004, 06:01 PM

I live about 12 miles south of the state line, near Harrison. I am in a "white area", for all but NBC. I am able to get Distant Networks from NY and LA, including the HD broadcast of CBS. I should also be able to get FOX HD when it is added Tuesday. I am not able to get NBC due to KY 3 not giving me a waiver. I am in the grade B range of KYTV only......

I hope when the Springfield locals are added, my distants are not taken away.
post #81 of 5454 Old 10-17-2004, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Arkie
... I hope when the Springfield locals are added, my distants are not taken away.

Arkie, If you want all the distant nets, just "move" your service address to a real address in Mena AR. They are in the LR DMA, but are also DNS-eligible, due to distance from LR. Mena residents can get LR locals and DNS, either one or both.

FWIW, you'll need a 2nd dish for Springfield locals because D* is putting them on the 72.5° satellite.

BTW, how is your KTHV-DT (CBS in LR) reception, now that they're broadcasting at fully allotted power?
post #82 of 5454 Old 10-18-2004, 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by arxaw
Arkie, If you want all the distant nets, just "move" your service address to a real address in Mena AR. They are in the LR DMA, but are also DNS-eligible, due to distance from LR. Mena residents can get LR locals and DNS, either one or both.

FWIW, you'll need a 2nd dish for Springfield locals because D* is putting them on the 72.5° satellite.

BTW, how is your KTHV-DT (CBS in LR) reception, now that they're broadcasting at fully allotted power?

My reception of KTHV is sporadic at best. I can occasionally get a lock on their signal, but not enough to count on.

It would be nice to get all of the Razorback games on the Little Rock locals, but I am able to pick up Fayetteville/Ft. Smith for that. I think I will just add the Springfield locals when they are available. I believe the Springfield UPN channel carries Jefferson Pilot SEC games. I don't feel comfortable with "moving" from an ethics standpoint.

Our weather up here is more like our Ozark Mountain brethren in Southern Missouri. I would probably benefit more from watching their local news/weather/sports.

Thanks for the info at any rate.......
post #83 of 5454 Old 10-22-2004, 06:57 AM

Hey by any chance did others get the Chiefs game @ Jacksonville in HD on their D* Sunday Ticket?

I did and was suprised/pleased (even though we lost) as that's what I thought I was buying it for.

It's a good thing too, as I could hardly get OTA signal(I guess all that wind on Sunday)

KLB
post #84 of 5454 Old 10-22-2004, 12:59 PM

Man, KOLR, KSPR, and KDEB suck! I'd like to know how our Public Station can pull off broadcasting in HD and these commercial broadcasters can't. It must be, as someone else stated, that they are in financial trouble. Why else could a public station do it and not a commercial broadcaster? I'd be embarrased to death.

KDEB, I WANT TO WATCH THE WORLD SERIES IN HD!!!

Glad to finally find some Springfield people with home theater interests!!!

Let's keep the pressure on these numbnuts!

AirData
post #85 of 5454 Old 10-23-2004, 10:55 AM

I have been trying to get a HD waiver from KOLR or KDEB.

Here is the response I got from KDEB. I dont even know how to respond to this.......

We only grant waivers, HDTV or analog, for distant networks if you live outside our DMA Counties. This is our policy at this time & we will wait for further FCC guidelines in the future. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 9:49 AM
To: David Smith
Subject: FW: HD waiver question...

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris and Isabel Coulter [mailto:ccoulter17@mchsi.com]
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 12:31 PM
To: mgordon@kolr10.com
Subject: HD waiver question...

Mr. Gordon,

A couple of months ago I had asked for a waiver from your company to receive the High Definition feed since you are not providing that yet (even though we are a Top 80 market). After viewing the HD feeds from NFL Sunday Ticket, it is disheartening to watch your feed in SD and to have the football HD feeds blacked out by your station.

What is the process I need to proceed to receive the HD feeds from FOX?

I was told to contact someone in PA who works for Nexstar Broadcasting, but that didn't make sense since it is a local waiver I am asking for.

If you cannot provide that waiver, can you please let me know who I might be able to contact.

Thank you for your time.

Like I said, and everyone else, they are just pathetic. Even though this email is to KOLR, only this guy (from the KDEB site) replied. I have not heard from the general manager at KOLR 10. Also, notice the time it took for this loser to respond.

Everyone, start spamming them. LOL
post #86 of 5454 Old 10-24-2004, 08:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Nexstar (web site) is awful.

They own several stations in your area, and they also own the NBC affiliate down here in Little Rock. They have very few plans for HD and/or full power digital TV stations. Since they took over the Little Rock NBC affiliate, about all they seem to be interested in is showing infomercials and other "paid programming" crap.

I gave up on waivers and "moved" my D* service address to a white area that doesn't require any waivers, so I could get the networks in HD out of NY & LA.
post #87 of 5454 Old 10-24-2004, 04:29 PM

hey arxaw, where's a "nice" place to live?

KLB
post #88 of 5454 Old 10-25-2004, 04:53 AM

arxaw,

how did you "move" your address?
post #89 of 5454 Old 10-25-2004, 06:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Kevinlane
... where's a "nice" place to live?

There are white areas in lots of places in Arkansas and Missouri.
Any address in Mena, AR will get you all the NY/LA HD channels (plus Little Rock locals in SD, if you want them, and can get decent signal strength on 119, transponder 25, which is a spot beam for the Little Rock market). If you don't want LR locals, just order DNS.

If you don't feel comfortable "moving" your address to another state, there are addresses in Theodosia, MO that are eligible everything but NBC. Thayer, MO also has some addresses that are eligible for all NY & LA networks.

Look here for Thayer addresses, or scroll to the bottom of that page and change the town name, to search for addresses in other towns. Towns or addresses near streams or rivers are usually lower in altitude and are more likely to qualify for DNS.

When you get a list of addresses to check, add an apartment number to an address (in case the address already has DirecTV service) and check it for DNS eligibility HERE. If eligible, the results will look like the attached screen grab.

Once you have an eligible "apartment" address, just call DirecTV.
Tell them you've moved and you did a self-install.
Tell them your mailing address stays at your "old" address.
Tell them your phone number will not change.
Ask them to add the NY and/or LA networks of your choice. The SD nets include the HD feed (if available), at no extra charge. No HD package required - just an HD receiver system. NY or LA nets are alacarte - $1.50 per network. Get both NY & LA feeds of one network for $2.25.

If the CSR doesn't know how to add DNS, have them transfer you to a supervisor or an "HD Specialist" CSR.

When you "move", all future mailouts, including bills and replacement access cards will be sent to your mailing address. ANY REPAIRS OR INSTALLS MUST be done by you, or with a friendly local satellite company. Calling DirecTV to schedule repairs or wiring work would result in a repair tech visit to your "move" address.

EDIT: Another MO town with lots of DNS eligible addresses is Salem, MO (map). Particularly the 200 blocks of East Center, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Streets. They're all near a stream or river (low lying areas).
post #90 of 5454 Old 10-25-2004, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
sent an email to Kdeb 27... here is there reply..

Thanks for your interest in HDTV. Here is our corporate policy concerning digital television:

Pursuant to FCC requirements, Nexstar Broadcasting is transmitting a standard definition digital broadcast signal for station KDEB-TV.
Stations may broadcast both analog and digital signals until at least December 31, 2006, when they may be required to abandon the analog format, provided that 85% of households within the Springfield, MO DMA have the capability to receive a digital signal.

Digital transmissions currently may be low-power, but full-power transmission will be required by a future date to be established by the FCC. The FCC left the decision of which digital format to be transmitted up to individual broadcasters. Nexstar Broadcasting has made a decision to broadcast standard definition digital signals until such time as the FCC mandates high definition broadcasts or the viewer base supports the additional costs associated with transmitting a high definition signal.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page