Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #991 of 5467 Old 10-31-2006, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For those interested, Dish has a plan in place for Springfield users now that has OTA antennas with installs at discounted prices. Read this link for more info...

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=80797

Basically this means they are a long ways from providing HD LIL to Springfield over satellite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5467 Old 11-01-2006, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
The prices didn't look very discounted, either.
post #993 of 5467 Old 11-01-2006, 06:20 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

The prices didn't look very discounted, either.

Get a quote from a local installer to put up an antenna, it generally isn't exactly cheap.
post #994 of 5467 Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 AM

Any suggestions for towns to move to from Joplin? I live in Lamar, and that does not seem to work. :
post #995 of 5467 Old 11-01-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodyPenn View Post

that is locally I take it? b/c Fox was advertising all through the WS that he Rams/Chargers game would be the main late game. Or, do they have to chose b/t the two?

I called Fox27 to ask about the rams game not showing. I nice lady returned my message and helped to explain the situation. She said that before the season starts, they (27) are required by the NFL to select teams in our area in order of popularity. She says they chose the Chiefs, Rams, then the Cowboys. So as DrDon explained, we only get the chiefs game. I also called the NFL office to ask why they schedule these games in such a fashion, but so far I have only talked to the operator and some mailboxes.

Usually, this only happens 1 time per season. So far its happened 3 times this season. I've shelled out the $40 bucks at my parents house for the 3 games via single day of Sunday Ticket. Next year I will be a Sunday Ticket holder.
post #996 of 5467 Old 11-01-2006, 07:19 PM

so does this happen in New York too? I understand they really have no choice. Still annoying that I have to pay for something that other people in the country that could care less for the Rams get to watch for free. Oh well
post #997 of 5467 Old 11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biology View Post

Any suggestions for towns to move to from Joplin? I live in Lamar, and that does not seem to work. :

"Move" yourself and your dish to:
101 Spring St (add an apartment #),
Eureka Springs, 72632
(US Post Office)

Don't change your billing address.

Prequalify the address HERE
post #998 of 5467 Old 11-06-2006, 10:45 AM

Just wondering how the tower work is going for 10 and 27? Weather hasn't been very good lately.
post #999 of 5467 Old 11-06-2006, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSS View Post

Just wondering how the tower work is going for 10 and 27? Weather hasn't been very good lately.

The rain slows things down considerably, but the tower climbers don't take weekends off if the weather is good.

Thursday night we are planning on installing the new STL (Studio to Tranmitter Link) microwave. Currently the STL is the same one we've used for since 1973. Of course it is analog only.

The new STL's are Microwave Radio Corp's "Twinstream" units. They pass an analog channel and the full 19,200 kbps digital stream to the ATSC transmitter.

All of the encoding and processing is done at the studio, and the signal that is fed to the STL will go directly into the ATSC transmitter.

When the STL's are installed the studio portion of the project will be complete.
post #1000 of 5467 Old 11-06-2006, 07:25 PM

It's amazing what a little extra height and a rotor will do for reception.

I played around this weekend to see what I could get. I gained KMOS-DT from Sedalia/Warrensburg and KOMU-DT from Columbia. It's great to get them, but they didn't add anything in the way of content to what I was already receiving.

I also now get KOLR-DT as a weak but steady signal. I was hoping to pick up KRCG from Jefferson City for CBS HD, but it just hasn't happened so I guess I'll just have to wait for 10.

Trying to scan additional channels has been interesting. For instance I can get KRCG analog 13 with a good quality, yet I can't seem to latch onto their digital 12 signal. KMOS DT (15) comes in great, but their analog (6) doesn't. Last night KAIT analog (8) came in so strong I had a nearly perfect picture with my antenna pointing the wrong way. I even got a weak, unscannable signal on their DT (9). I swung the antenna around, got a perfect picture on 8, but never could get a signal lock on 9. I mention these examples as from what I can find, their DT signals are now at full power and maps show their coverage area for the DT signal to be comparable to the analog signals.
post #1001 of 5467 Old 11-06-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoops View Post

The rain slows things down considerably, but the tower climbers don't take weekends off if the weather is good.

Thursday night we are planning on installing the new STL (Studio to Tranmitter Link) microwave. Currently the STL is the same one we've used for since 1973. Of course it is analog only.

The new STL's are Microwave Radio Corp's "Twinstream" units. They pass an analog channel and the full 19,200 kbps digital stream to the ATSC transmitter.

All of the encoding and processing is done at the studio, and the signal that is fed to the STL will go directly into the ATSC transmitter.

When the STL's are installed the studio portion of the project will be complete.

I'm assuming you're going to be installing one for each KSFX and KOLR? If so does this mean we'd be able to see the HD content on the low-power transmitters you already have in place, or are they going to be shut down?
post #1002 of 5467 Old 11-07-2006, 07:49 AM

Yes, one STL for each station. The low power transmitters will remain SD until the full power transmitters replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky snooper View Post

I'm assuming you're going to be installing one for each KSFX and KOLR? If so does this mean we'd be able to see the HD content on the low-power transmitters you already have in place, or are they going to be shut down?

post #1003 of 5467 Old 11-07-2006, 12:14 PM

Mediacom is eager to carry both stations in HD and we have the equipment in place to provide them what what they need. Cable HD will almost certainly happen before OTA HD. It will be December before the OTA transmitters are live.

If you have basic cable and QAM capability on your set top box or receiver, you don't need a special subscription to get HD on the local broadcast stations. KYTV and KSPR are on "cable 16" currently. They are not scrambled or using "conditional access". I use a Samsung SIR-T451 set top box.
post #1004 of 5467 Old 11-07-2006, 12:47 PM

Liked: 12
If you order basic cable and they run the wiring, subscribe for awhile, but cancel later, does QAM still come in on the wire?

Shawn
post #1005 of 5467 Old 11-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Subscribe to basic cable and then cancel it? They disconnect it at the pole.

No special subscription needed for the local HD stations. If you get basic cable you get HD locals in the clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post

If you order basic cable and they run the wiring, subscribe
for awhile, but cancel later, does QAM still come in on the wire?

post #1006 of 5467 Old 11-07-2006, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnatGoSplat View Post

If you order basic cable and they run the wiring, subscribe for awhile, but cancel later, does QAM still come in on the wire?

If you cancel, you get nothing on the cable because they shut it off.

rhoops, thanks for the continuing updates on the progress at kolr/ksfx.
post #1007 of 5467 Old 11-08-2006, 01:42 AM

Also this begs the next question: How long until DirecTv customers get the DT feeds? We know DirecTV plans to add Springfield HD locals shortly.
post #1008 of 5467 Old 11-08-2006, 06:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

sneaky snooper,
In addition to building the uplinks to DirecTV, D* customers will also need an MPEG4 capable HD receiver and dish. For new customers, all of that is free. For existing customers, it is *often* free if you call D* customer retention and threaten to switch to cable or E*.

Once the HD locals are available, a 2nd dish for locals will no longer be needed, if all of your receivers are MPEG4.
post #1009 of 5467 Old 11-08-2006, 11:27 AM

A Second dish will still be needed if you want Channel 15 or 31. They will not be in HD on D*
post #1010 of 5467 Old 11-08-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

that's a big IF...
post #1011 of 5467 Old 11-08-2006, 11:34 PM

Actually I hear that 15, 21, and 31 will be put on the MPEG4 bird since the lease on 72.5 runs out in a year or so.
post #1012 of 5467 Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoops View Post

Mediacom is eager to carry both stations in HD and we have the equipment in place to provide them what what they need. Cable HD will almost certainly happen before OTA HD. It will be December before the OTA transmitters are live.

If you have basic cable and QAM capability on your set top box or receiver, you don't need a special subscription to get HD on the local broadcast stations. KYTV and KSPR are on "cable 16" currently. They are not scrambled or using "conditional access". I use a Samsung SIR-T451 set top box.

Anyword on DirecTV linkup? They are saying Dec 1 for HD Locals.
post #1013 of 5467 Old 11-10-2006, 03:12 PM

They installed the new STL's (Studio Transmitter Link) last night.

The tower installers have completed installation of the vertical portion of the transmission line. Antenna installation and completing the ends of the transmission line remains to be done.

We are still awaiting the arrival of a vital part of the RF plumbing that will combine the two transmitters.

The HD satellite receivers for both Fox and CBS and the encoding equipment are installed, but still need setup and final commissioning.

Mediacom HD will probably be activated before over the air HD.

When all the work is completed the transmitter manufacturer's tech rep has to come to town to put them on the air.

I expect to be on Mediacom by Thanksgiving and to commission OTA by the second week of December.
post #1014 of 5467 Old 11-10-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

rhoops,
THANKS.
post #1015 of 5467 Old 11-10-2006, 04:11 PM

i assume they will be broadcasting in 1080i?

and if so

will it look at the ass that KY3 puts up becuase of multicasting?
post #1016 of 5467 Old 11-10-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

CBS 1080i
FOX 720p

rhoops previously stated that neither station will be multicasting. So Springfield will finally get to see what real HDTV looks like.
And it looks a helluvalot better than the pixelly crap on 3-1 and 21-2.
post #1017 of 5467 Old 11-11-2006, 07:34 AM

I'm an E* subscriber and live in Lebanon, MO. I have an HD TV. I've been following this forum for some time now but often get lost in the jargon. What is the best way for me to get HD, including locals? Thanks.
post #1018 of 5467 Old 11-11-2006, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf321 View Post

I'm an E* subscriber and live in Lebanon, MO. I have an HD TV. I've been following this forum for some time now but often get lost in the jargon. What is the best way for me to get HD, including locals? Thanks.

Put up an outdoor UHF antenna and point it toward Springfield. If your HDTV doesn't have an ATSC (HDTV) tuner, buy a set top tuner like the Samsung SIR-T451. Of course some satellite providers even have an OTA tuner in their box, like the DishNetwork's VIP series. My understanding is that Dish is going to convert their whole system to MPEG-4 over the next few years, and the VIP series receivers use MPEG-4.

Even when they offer "HD", both satellite and cable distributors rely on compression to reduce the bandwidth required. It just doesn't get any better than what the broadcaster transmits over the air. When satellite providers offer HD, they start by picking up the OTA signal, then run it over a fiber backhaul, compress it digitally, typically with MPEG-4, and then distribute it via their satellite system.

Locally, the "pickup point" for satellite providers is at the KYTV studios. KYTV and UPN are fed directly into the fiber backhaul, but all other stations are received off the air. I don't think this will change when they provide HD locals.

As far as antennas go, there is no substitute for antenna height. A giant antenna at rooftop level won't work better than a small antenna 30 or 40 feet up.
Radio Shack sells a good UHF only antenna for less than $25.
post #1019 of 5467 Old 11-11-2006, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Wolf321,
It depends on what HD channels you want. For local digital channels, OTA (Over-The-Air) will almost always give you the best picture quality. You just need an HDTV (with an integrated digital tuner) and an antenna suitable for your address.

Enter your complete address here for a rough idea of what kind of antenna you may need.

You are well within the OTA reception range of the Springfield digitals.
post #1020 of 5467 Old 11-11-2006, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you get a UHF antenna, make sure it will also pick up VHF chs 7 thru 13, since KOLR-DT (ch 52) will be moving back to VHF channel 10 in a couple of years. The Channel Master CM 4228 is one such antenna that meets FCC planning factors for DTV reception (see "Pro Performance" at the bottom of this article.

It has a large screen on the back of it that just happens to work as a great bi-directional VHF antenna.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page