5Likes

post #1081 of 5467 Old 11-27-2006, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellium View Post

I spoke with DirecTV a few minutes ago and she assured me that SPF locals are in HD with them. Any comments? I'm getting to the point that I'm very suspicious of these assurances of HD.

DirecTv is supposed to be spot beaming HD LiL signals to SGF DMA in "early December". From what I have been told, they had expected to have them by now, but I would imagine their timetable is greatly influenced by that of KOLR/KSFX. Remember, KOLR/KSFX stated on their website earlier this year that they would be full power HD by September. DirecTv can't launch HD LiL with just one feed, KY3, they need at least two to justify this DMA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 5467 Old 11-27-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellium View Post

I spoke with DirecTV a few minutes ago and she assured me that SPF locals are in HD with them. Any comments? I'm getting to the point that I'm very suspicious of these assurances of HD.

I can assure you that KSFX and KOLR are NOT available in HD on any satellite system at this time. When the OTA transmitters are up, the satellite providers can pick them up and re-transmit them. The receive site for Springfield area stations is at the KYTV studio. From there it goes by fiber to the satellite providers.

However I did learn that Mediacom has all their ducks in a row and they will be visiting the KOLR / KFSX studios this afternoon. I don't know whether it will take a few hours or a few days, we are very, very close. Mediacom has a fiber backhaul from the KOLR / KSFX studios to the Springfield headend.

Of course the freezing icy weather will not bode well for tower work this week. The antenna has not yet been installed. Current work is on "beefing up" the tower structure to support the additional load.

We can't summon the transmitter rep until we have all the pieces together.
post #1083 of 5467 Old 11-27-2006, 12:28 PM

For a current DirecTV subscriber with the HD package, what kind of changes will I need to make to receive the local HD channels when they become available? I've only been a DirecTV subscriber for a few months, so my equipment is fairly new (I signed up for DirecTV in July).
post #1084 of 5467 Old 11-27-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You need a DirecTV MPEG4 H20 HD receiver or an HR20 HD DVR.
You also must have the new 5LNB dish, which is slightly larger than the older single or 3LNB dishes. Unless you have one of the newest "slimline" 5LNB dishes, your 5LNB dish should look like this one:

The "slimline" 5LNB dish looks like this:

Of course if you already have an HD receiver, you can get the locals as soon as they all get on the air (and probably faster than they get on the sats), by simply connecting an OTA antenna to the ANT-IN jack on your D* receiver, add the Springfield ZIP code to your local setup menu and do a scan for local channels. You can get KYTV-DT (NBC 1080i) and KOZK-DT (PBS 720p) right now, with an antenna.
post #1085 of 5467 Old 11-27-2006, 02:12 PM

Well, I currently have the H20 HD Receiver, so I'm all set there.

The dish I'm not so sure about. I didn't pay too much attention to that when the installer was there, but 5LNB does sound like a familiar term. I'll have to compare my dish to the pictures you posted when I get home. I do know that my HD dish is considerably larger than the other dish that I have (they installed 2 dishes... one for HD, and one for all other channels).

I do not currently have an OTA antenna. Those cost around $100 if I remember correctly, and I never saw the need for it. When HD local channels are available on the satellites, there will be no need for the OTA antenna, correct?

Edit: Yup, just checked. I have the 5LNB satellite dish.
post #1086 of 5467 Old 11-27-2006, 08:58 PM

actually you can get a really good OTA antenna for around $45. I am not sure what model I have but it is one that was recommended in this forum. 4228 or something like that Lucky you already have the 5LNB though wish I did
post #1087 of 5467 Old 11-28-2006, 07:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joypunk View Post

...(they installed 2 dishes... one for HD, and one for all other channels).

I do not currently have an OTA antenna. Those cost around $100 if I remember correctly, and I never saw the need for it. When HD local channels are available on the satellites, there will be no need for the OTA antenna, correct?

DirecTV down-rezzes 1080i HD from 1920x1080 to only 1220x1080. If you want full 1920x1080 resolution, you need to use OTA. If your TV can't resolve full 1920x1080, it's not an issue though.

An OTA antenna also comes in handy if D* goes down in a heavy rain storm or the uplink signal from Springfield to their operations center goes down. The Ka band frequencies used for HD locals are more prone to rain fade than the Ku band currently used for all other D* channels.

One of the best OTA antennas available (LINK) can be had for about 50 bucks, plus shipping. If you live closer than 40 mi or so from the towers, this smaller one should work just as well. About $25 plus shipping.
post #1088 of 5467 Old 11-28-2006, 08:33 AM

Ya, I have the 4228 in my attic on the eastern side of Springfield, and I am receiving almost a 100% signal from Ky3 and KOZK and around 75% from KOLR and KSFX atm.
post #1089 of 5467 Old 11-28-2006, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I also get KYTV-DT and KOZK-DT at 100%, using the CM 4228 antenna and CM 7777 preamp. And I'm approximately 70 air miles from the transmitters.

Elevation helps :-)
post #1090 of 5467 Old 11-28-2006, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodyPenn View Post

Ya, I have the 4228 in my attic on the eastern side of Springfield, and I am receiving almost a 100% signal from Ky3 and KOZK and around 75% from KOLR and KSFX atm.

These antennas work inside the attic? So there's no need to mount it outside and run wires into the house? I might be able to go for that. =)

How easy are these to setup? The website says "Just mount and point". Is it simple to get it pointed in the right direction? Does it need to point in different directions for different channels?

I also live on the east side of Springfield, just barely outside of city limits... so I don't think range will be any problem for me. (The 4221 should work for me.)
post #1091 of 5467 Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The 4221 should be all you need.

Antennas work ok in some attics. But reception may be disappointing if you have:
1. Metal roof.
2. Foil radiant barrier roof decking.
3. Foil-backed insulation in the exterior walls.
4. Metal siding
5. HVAC equipmnet/ductwork in the attic.

To see what direction to point your antenna, enter your complete address at http://www.antennaweb.org
Then, click the "Street Map" button on the results page.
post #1092 of 5467 Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoops View Post

However I did learn that Mediacom has all their ducks in a row and they will be visiting the KOLR / KFSX studios this afternoon. I don't know whether it will take a few hours or a few days, we are very, very close. Mediacom has a fiber backhaul from the KOLR / KSFX studios to the Springfield headend.

rhoops, any more info on this? Just got the new Samsung DTB-H260F STB so I'm ready for QAM or OTA!
post #1093 of 5467 Old 11-29-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirData View Post

rhoops, any more info on this? Just got the new Samsung DTB-H260F STB so I'm ready for QAM or OTA!

Mediacom has been to the KOLR / KSFX studios and has installed their equipment. They are getting HD from both stations. I expect them to have them up at any time. I haven't seen anything actually on cable yet.

For you techies, they are taking a DVB-ASI feed with embedded audio from us, connecting it to what is labeled an IRD, but is being used as a decoder, and using Gigabit ethernet to connect it to their fiber backhaul.

Connect your STB to cable and try a scan. You might be one of the first people to pick it up.
post #1094 of 5467 Old 11-29-2006, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Mediacom has been to the KOLR / KSFX studios and has installed their equipment. They are getting HD from both stations. I expect them to have them up at any time. I haven't seen anything actually on cable yet.

For you techies, they are taking a DVB-ASI feed with embedded audio from us, connecting it to what is labeled an IRD, but is being used as a decoder, and using Gigabit ethernet to connect it to their fiber backhaul.

Connect your STB to cable and try a scan. You might be one of the first people to pick it up.

Please tell us that the OTA audio will be 5.1.
post #1095 of 5467 Old 11-29-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead0922 View Post

Please tell us that the OTA audio will be 5.1.

The OTA audio will be 5.1 when CBS sends it that way. Some stuff is still in 2 channel stereo. When in local programming it will be 2 channel stereo.

I haven's seen much on Fox that is 5.1 yet, but they have that capability.

CBS plans to control our audio mode with metadata embeded in the data stream.

There are some instances where we may have 8 channels of audio. That 5.1 plus two aux's which can be defined various ways. It could left total and right total, or a second language, or descriptive audio (for visually impaired).
post #1096 of 5467 Old 11-29-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Nope, not yet as of 7PM today. Do you know what the channel numbers will be on Mediacom?
post #1097 of 5467 Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 PM

Hello--first post after a few days of heavy lurking. I hope this question is appropriate for this thread given I'm in the Springfield area. It's not as much about OTA stuff as it is about local service options. I just picked up a nice 50" HDTV last night and am interested in finding out what may be my best option for a service with good HD offerings. Currently we have basic + extended + starz on demand w/Mediacom (no HD receivers or anything). Are their HD offerings (not so much local--I can do an antenna for that) pretty good? Or am I better off going with something like Dish or DirectTV? Looking at Mediacom's HDTV listing doesn't leave me very inspired compared to something like Dish... unless the online listing isn't representing what they really have to offer. However, I get the impression that cable HD isn't half-baked, whereas satellite could be called that. I really don't care at all about sports stuff, so stuff like DirectTV NFT ticket or whatever it is has no draw to me.

I'd be interested in some opinions on what's best in this area for HDTV viewing. I'm fairly sure I'll get a good OTA antenna so I get the full strength deal with local stuff. Thanks for the input.
post #1098 of 5467 Old 11-30-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DirecTV will be adding Spgfld locals very soon. They recently announced this in a press release. At the latest, this should be sometime in the 1Q '07. That would give you a pretty decent backup source for network HD programming, if you have a problem w/ OTA.

Here are the HD offerings from:
E*
D*

E* (Echostar Dish Network) downrezzes some 1080i channels to something less than 1920x1080 - not sure of the exact resolution. D* (DirecTV) downrezzes all 1920x1080i channels to 1220x1080i. Neither service downrezzes 720p programming. If your display cannot resolve full 1920x1080i, you won't see any difference in PQ on D* or E* vs OTA. If it can, you will notice some difference on a big screen. OTA will nearly always give you the best PQ, and IMO, is the best way to watch network HDTV. It also eliminates potential problems that may happen with a middleman provider like cable or sat.

On cable, if you have a TV with a QAM digital cable tuner, you should be able to connect it directly to the cable without a box, and get all your local channels in HD, for the cost of expanded basic analog cable package. I have no idea if mediacom offers any other HD programming besides locals.

For OTA antenna choices, it depends on how far you are from the transmitters, terrain and stuff your house is constructed of. You may only need a simple indoor or attic antenna, or small outdoor antenna. If you want to try an indoor antenna, start simple and buy an antenna locally from a place that takes returns.
post #1099 of 5467 Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 AM

Thanks for the info. I may just start with an indoor antenna and see what happens. Thanks for the info about what E* was (I hadn't figured that one out yet from my reading... I had for the most part with D*). I have no QAM internally with my TV, so I'll be relying on a dish or cable set-top box. Also, my TV is a Samsung S5086W, so only 720p here. I guess it won't matter for my HD, then, whether I get OTA, satellite or cable. I'll continue to look around to figure out what HD programming options seem best between the satellite networks and Mediacom.
post #1100 of 5467 Old 11-30-2006, 05:09 PM

anybody with any luck on the new channels thru QAM??
post #1101 of 5467 Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joypunk View Post

These antennas work inside the attic? So there's no need to mount it outside and run wires into the house? I might be able to go for that. =)

How easy are these to setup? The website says "Just mount and point". Is it simple to get it pointed in the right direction? Does it need to point in different directions for different channels?

I also live on the east side of Springfield, just barely outside of city limits... so I don't think range will be any problem for me. (The 4221 should work for me.)

I have metal ductwork in my attic and I still have good receptions. I also have the antenna mounted on the west side of the attic shoot back across the entire length of the attic Being on the east side of town you should be ok unless you live in a hole. And yes, it is just a matter of point and shoot. Thing is already assembled so all you have to do is stick it up in the attic and hook it up. Now you may want to get a pole mount or something as it would be easier than the marrionette setup I have with mine hanging from the rafters....lol
post #1102 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 03:51 AM

I tried a scan at 7:30 last night and still nothing.
post #1103 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 07:59 AM

What do you guys mean running a scan. I have mediacoms DVR/HD tuner, but I'm not sure I know how to do the scan.
post #1104 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanzelda23 View Post

What do you guys mean running a scan. I have mediacoms DVR/HD tuner, but I'm not sure I know how to do the scan.

You don't need to do a scan if you have Mediacom's box. If you have basic cable and a QAM Tuner in your TV set or set top box, you scan to detect new channels.

Your electronic channel guide is automatically downloaded to your box.
post #1105 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 03:42 PM

Mediacom says KSFX HD is on their system in QAM as of Friday afternoon., but since they are still testing, the HD boxes won't know about it yet.

KOLR HD may be on intermittently for testing.
post #1106 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

rhoops, thanks for all the updates.

Whenever y'all are working on the KSFX tower, is analog channel 27 power reduced?

Reason: I would like to know if you do - and when, so I can try and pick up KFTA-DT, south of Fayetteville, AR, also on RF channel 27. Currently, I can't get it because of interference from KSFX analog 27.

thanks
post #1107 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If you have a cableco-provided box, try unplugging it momentarily to reboot it.
post #1108 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arxaw View Post

rhoops, thanks for all the updates.

Whenever y'all are working on the KSFX tower, is analog channel 27 power reduced?

Depending on where the tower workers need to be, we might reduce power on 10, 27 or 33 which are all on the same tower. We try to do this only between midnight and 5 AM if we can.

There won't be any tower work or power reductions until the ice goes away.
post #1109 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mediacom says KSFX HD is on their system in QAM as of Friday afternoon., but since they are still testing, the HD boxes won't know about it yet.

KOLR HD may be on intermittently for testing.

Has anyone been able to tune in KSFX HD yet? I've done a couple scans this afternoon, just finished one, and no luck. Any idea what channel it should come in on? I use a MYHD-130 card and tune in ABC, KY3 and KY3's crappy weather channel on D16 (virtual channels 1, 2 and 3 respectively.)
post #1110 of 5467 Old 12-01-2006, 04:43 PM

The Mediacom guy says we are on 62-13 and 62-14 for the time being. We will probably move to a lower channel eventually.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page