Springfield / Joplin, MO - HDTV - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 5454 Old 01-03-2005, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Damn It!

I just tried "moving" to an area that was supposed to be eligible for DNS HD east and west coast feeds and guess what....

The regulations changed on December 16 for DNS. Now the tri-lakes region (Table Rock, Taneycomo, Bull Shoals) is part of the Springfield broadcast area and nothing is eligible for HD content there. Sure I could get my locals, but what good are those when they broadcast HD (except for KY3 and KOZK).

This is REALLY starting to piss me off. What the hell can we do!!!!!!!!!!

Is there another link that DirecTV uses that will show the correct eligible DNS areas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 5454 Old 01-04-2005, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Due to the new laws, the definition of a white area has changed. Now, if locals are available via D*, an address is no longer a white area, even if no OTA TV is available. And distant networks can no longer be offered. A grandfather clause allows existing customers in those areas to keep DNS.

There are a few little towns in Arkansas that are still white areas.
Certain low-lying addresses in Mountain View, AR are still in white areas. Main Street is a good place to start
Check:
post #123 of 5454 Old 01-04-2005, 07:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

For more discussion of SHIVA/SHVERA, go here.
post #124 of 5454 Old 01-23-2005, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anybody know if there has been any announcement regarding when the Springfield, MO Fox, CBS and ABC affiliates will go to full power HDTV? I can receive PBS and NBC HDTV OTA pretty well but only get guide information for the others on my HD TiVo. I am about 50 miles from the towers. Watching the Pittsburg - NE game in HD would have been nice.

Chris
post #125 of 5454 Old 01-24-2005, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

July '05 is the full power deadline for the Big 4 in the top 100 markets, which includes Springfield, MO (Springfield is DMA #78). Deadline for all other commercial stations is July '06. Article here. If they miss this deadline, they may lose interference protection for their channel.

There is no "HDTV" mandate by the FCC for any stations. Only "digital".
post #126 of 5454 Old 01-24-2005, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by arxaw
July '05 is the full power deadline for the Big 4 in the top 100 markets, which includes Springfield, MO (Springfield is DMA #78). Deadline for all other commercial stations is July '06. Article here. If they miss this deadline, they may lose interference protection for their channel.

There is no "HDTV" mandate by the FCC for any stations. Only "digital".

The guide information on my HD TiVo indicates the channels will be HDTV. Channels 10.1 CBS HD, 27.1 Fox HD, and 33.1 ABC HD. I assume HD is being broadcast low power now, although I have never seen any indication anybody can receive it but those close enough should. Hopefully July I will be able to receive those 3 in addition to the 2 I already receive. I can only hope that the channels will go full power before the mandate.

Chris
post #127 of 5454 Old 01-26-2005, 08:00 PM

I hope this is true that they are required to go full power by July.I would sure like to see Fox digital or( HD would be better) before the Daytona 500.

I can't get 10 or 27 to respond to my emails anymore so I don't watch anything on them until they turn up the power.I still have Fox out of LA on Dish and thats where I will watch my raceing if 27 don't turn up the power.

If anyone has any info on our locals going HD, please post.

I have now saw that 21 is doing 5.1 DD on some programming. Thanks KOZK, you do have people watching and enjoying your HD broadcasts.
post #128 of 5454 Old 01-26-2005, 08:37 PM

OK here is some info...

UPN15 will not be HD anytime soon, there is no FCC digital licensing for analog stations in low power. Plus KYTV does not have bandwidth on the tower to broadcast it in HD. Also KOZK is renting the KY3 tower for their broadcast so it's being used to its full potential. WB has the same situation as UPN since it is a low power station.

ABC - KSPR is installing their HD sat uplinks this summer from what I have heard. But they will not be broadcasting in HD anytime this year. They have to upgrade or build a new tower before they will be broadcasting HD.

FOX - KSFX has wasted a ton of money rebranding so they of course still claim they can't afford to upgrade to HD. The truth is they have no desire to upgrade and I doubt they will unless they are forced by the FCC. Full power digital? Somewhere there is a loophole in the FCC law I can't remember the exact statute but expect them to use it.

CBS - KOLR Same as Fox.

So maybe it's time to go over the heads of KOLR and KSFX management. I encourage people to try writing nexstar broadcasting which owns these stations.

I can't post a link so visit nexstar(dot)tv
post #129 of 5454 Old 01-26-2005, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You won't get any response from Nexstar because they have no interest in giving their viewers free HDTV. They plan to lease the "excess bandwidth" normally used for HDTV to pay services like USDTV.
post #130 of 5454 Old 01-26-2005, 09:15 PM

Yeah I know how to post a link but the board doesn't allow you to post links until you have 5 posts. And that's crap about nexstar, just what we need. the same crap already get.
post #131 of 5454 Old 01-27-2005, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Here's an article I bookmarked a while back about Nexstar and other station owners' multicasting plans.
post #132 of 5454 Old 01-27-2005, 11:25 AM

Thanks MSpin and all you guys for the info. I have emailed Nextar and the networks about being so unhappy with KOLR and KSFX. I do have the locals on dish, but I will not watch any programming on these channels just as a protest. I would encourage anyone not to advertise on these channels until they get us a signal up.Nextar may think they are saving money, but I think this will backfire on them.
post #133 of 5454 Old 01-27-2005, 12:08 PM

I just received a return email from Nancy @ Fox27 that I sent long ago. She surely reads this forum, thanks Nancy if you do for returning my email.

She says they will be full power HDTV in 2006. I sure wish it could be sooner,that could be 1year or 1 1/2 or near 2 years away.
post #134 of 5454 Old 01-27-2005, 01:32 PM

2006, well that's better than they used to say. The chief engineer used to say not until the FCC forces them to broadcast in HD
post #135 of 5454 Old 01-27-2005, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MSpin
... The chief engineer used to say not until the FCC forces them to broadcast in HD

That would be never. The FCC is not forcing any broadcasters to do HDTV. They are forcing full power analog broadcasters to increase their digital transmitters to full power.
post #136 of 5454 Old 01-27-2005, 04:10 PM

It seems like the local channels would be happy to give us a waiver until they can get up and running in HD just to keep us happy. Every time I have ask, they say no way.
post #137 of 5454 Old 01-27-2005, 07:08 PM

When I spoke with the Fox and KOLR engineers this past summer via telephone, they both indicated their parent company had no plans of even thinking about budgeting the money for HD anytime in the next few years. They also said they were not going to do anything until it was mandated by law.

It is sad when an employee of a company bashes the company they work for. Both engineers were really upset about it. Oh yeah also I have spoken to a few cameramen at both stations during various interviews and news stuff (i work for a local municipality and the news crews are always around) and they talk about how it sucks working for them and they wished they worked for KY3. ROFL They are even jealous of KY3s new cameras that are 'HD ready'.

Just another reason why people should pull their advertising from KOLR and Fox locally, but of course that would be self-defeating. What a twisted little community we live in.
post #138 of 5454 Old 01-28-2005, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by THX10
... Just another reason why people should pull their advertising from KOLR and Fox locally...

Nex$tar is losing lots of viewers and advertisers are pulling their ads, in every town where Cox Cable carries (or carried) nex$tar stations

Articles here.
post #139 of 5454 Old 01-28-2005, 01:45 PM

I know my tv is always set on KY3,but I would start exploring other channels if they would start giving us a HD signal.I would also like to see more than 5 people on this board. I believe their are alot of people in this area that has HDTV's that would like to see the locals in HD. (although I only know 2 other people that has one and neither one has a tuner) I don't know many people though.
post #140 of 5454 Old 01-28-2005, 07:01 PM

I have been lucky enough to be grandfathered in to being able to recieve the Direct TV network package so I can get the east and west HD feeds of the networks on D-TV but if the Locals would up their HD power they would get my viewing.
post #141 of 5454 Old 01-29-2005, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

crwillared,
You're lucky you have the E & W HD feeds. Since the satellite laws recently changed, it's no longer possible for D* to offer them, if locals are also available on D* in your area.

Additionally, if you don't already subscribe to locals via D* and call to order them, they will shut off your E & W feeds. If you currently have E & W feeds and locals via D*, you can keep them. However, in the future you may be forced to choose between keeping either the E/W feeds or the locals. Also, if you drop the E/W feeds, you will not be able to re-order them in the future, regardless of your grandfather status.

Bottom line, don't make any changes to that part of your D* subscription!
post #142 of 5454 Old 01-29-2005, 08:16 AM

I know!
post #143 of 5454 Old 01-29-2005, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MRUSS
It seems like the local channels would be happy to give us a waiver until they can get up and running in HD just to keep us happy. Every time I have ask, they say no way.

I wrote KOLR and I did receive a response to my opinion they should either broadcast an HDTV signal I can receive or grant a waiver so I can receive CBS from DirecTV. There position was clear, I can receive an analog signal and that is good enough. Now I get KOLR SDTV from DirecTV so even if waivers can still be granted, there is no hope. Our only hope is that eventually public outcry will result in a full power HDTV signal. It is clear it won't be anytime soon.

I am hopeful that DirecTV will somehow offer The Masters in HD over the first two days as they did last year on a special events channel.

Chris
post #144 of 5454 Old 01-30-2005, 08:11 AM

crwillared, I am just across the border from you. My address was a "white area" for CBS, ABC, and FOX so I get the distants of those networks on DirecTV.

KY3 would not give me a waiver to get the distant NBC feeds. I automatically qualified for the other 3 without waivers.

It is a shame KOLR 10 and company will not give us a HD feed, or even a digital feed down here. I can never get a lock on their signal.

Luckily for me, I can lock the CBS and ABC affiliates from the Fayetteville/Ft. Smith DMA. They broadcast all HD feeds of their networks.

You might be close enough to lock their signal as well. Digital channels 15 and 18 if you want to give it a try...... channel 9 would be the AETN PBS network......

Good luck.
post #145 of 5454 Old 01-31-2005, 08:00 AM

I found this forum as I was doing some research before purchasing an OTA receiver.

I must say that I'm disappointed with our selection of digital broadcasts and the glaring lack of HD content in this area. I can't justify purchasing a receiver after seeing what's available. Being able to watch The Tonight Show and Nature in HD aren't big enough reasons for me to spend $300.

Maybe we should write our respective congressmen. (or women as the case may be)
post #146 of 5454 Old 01-31-2005, 08:55 AM

Nextar is just holding us hostage. If they can't provide us a service(or won't) then you should be able to buy this somewhere else if it's available and you have the money. We are being discriminated against just because of where we live. Luckily I qualify for Fox distants and thats the one I will watch when nascar begins raceing again. I'm thing about canceling all my locals on sat except 3 and 21 because it burns my face red when I see 10,
27 and 33 in my epg. They have had plenty of time to get equipment in place to give us an HD signal. I think KY3 started broadcasting HD in 2001 didn,t they?
post #147 of 5454 Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MRUSS
Nextar is just holding us hostage.... We are being discriminated against just because of where we live...

No.

nexstar doesn't discriminate. They aren't doing HD at any of their stations. We have the same problem down here in Little Rock with the nexstar-owned NBC affiliate KARK. Low power and no HD. It sucks, but there's not much you can do about it, except maybe complain to the FCC's DTV task force chairman Rick Chessen.
post #148 of 5454 Old 02-01-2005, 09:29 AM

I am soooooo tired of the delay tactics of these local station, so I just got off the phone with kusat.

I am eagerly awaiting my BEV 6120 package (6100 and dish), basic pack and HD pack, $35.00 p/mo, plus taxes.

ABC, NBC, CBX, FOX, both east and west coast HD, plus a few others.

I'll report later on the PQ and other issues.

Let's stamp out & abolish redundancy!
post #149 of 5454 Old 02-01-2005, 01:34 PM

Very Interesting aharris.Keep in touch.
post #150 of 5454 Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 PM

UGH!

Let them know what you think about the crawl on the news!

Let's stamp out & abolish redundancy!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page