AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by MRUSS
Does anyone know if 10,27 and 33 will be required to turn up the power July 1st

The "big 4" network affiliates in the top 100 markets are required to go full power by July 1, 2005. Of course, some of them will apply for exesions, claiming various reasons they can't make the deadline.

But the FCC is getting pretty serious about converting to DTV and will likely force most of them to comply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5466 Old 03-23-2005, 12:06 PM

Full power for what? HD or for digital signal transmission? Will this even help cable users (like myself)? I don't see how, given that their signals aren't received over the air (duh ).
post #183 of 5466 Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ideraid
Full power for what? HD or for digital signal transmission?

Digital broadcasts over the air.

The FCC is not forcing anyone to broadcast in HDTV. The stations can choose from 18 different formats, most of which are not HD. However, eventually many of the networks may force their affiliates to pass network HD, or risk losing their network affiliation. That's down the road though.

Quote:

Will this even help cable users (like myself)?

Probably not, but It's not about cable users, it's about OTA reception, which believe it or not is still the way a lot of people watch TV.
post #184 of 5466 Old 04-01-2005, 06:32 AM

Can anyone recommend a good OTA tuner for HD? Any HD antenna recommendations?
post #185 of 5466 Old 04-02-2005, 10:59 AM

I just bought an XG91 UHF antenna from antennas direct in St. Louis. It is an excellent choice.

I saw a dramatic increase in signal strength..........
post #186 of 5466 Old 04-03-2005, 06:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The USDigital tuner at WalMart works well. It's only $198.00 and you can return it at any walmart store if you don't like it.
post #187 of 5466 Old 04-04-2005, 03:22 PM

I also bought the XG91 about a month ago and a Philips amp at Walmart with 28db gain. I live probably 40 to 50 miles from the towers and under a hill with no line of sight to the towers.I had the best radio shack antenna I could buy before and I was getting about 85 percent on my 921 on KY3 and about 70 percent on channel 21. Now with my XG91 and amp I'm maxed out at 125 on KY3 and bouncing from 115 to 120 on channel 21. I'm also sniffing 27 but can't lock it in. If only 27 would turn their power up a little more the digital signal picture would probably beat the picture from satelite.
post #188 of 5466 Old 04-06-2005, 07:49 AM

The crazy thing here where I live is a get close to 100% signal from KY3, get about 30% from KOLR and KSFX, but can't get any strength at all from KOZK.

Is their antenna in the Fordland area too?

The XG 91 was able to bring in Fayetteville/ Ft. Smith channels that were sketchy before..........
post #189 of 5466 Old 04-07-2005, 07:14 AM

Yes KOZK is at Fordland. I think someone reported here that it is on the KY3 tower.KOZK is nice to get if you have kids at home,(which I don't,all of mine have grown up,I'm getting old) they do PBSKIDS in the day and PBSYOU. HD starts at 6:00 pm to 6:00 am.I have saw some things in 5.1 dd.

My KSFX signal will bounce from 70 to 50 to 0.I think it may be multipathing, (what ever that is),I figure it's bouncing on the hills.

I can't get anything on KOLR.
post #190 of 5466 Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM

That is wonderful that KOZK is passing *12* hours of HD programming per night, we only get three down in Arkansas via AETN and its only been in the last month, after the spring begfest, er fundraiser. Our flagship station of the Arkansas public tv network, KETS is using a lowband VHF channel (5) and a directional antenna and low power.

BTW, I've seen KYTV on several occations during tropo openings--its nice to know that NBC is actually broadcasting HD programming. Our NBC station is owned by the fine folks that own the Springfield FOX station---therefore, NBC is barely above the level of the WB as HD/DTV is concerned in Little Rock.

Hang in there folks, or if you live near the Arkansas border, build a taller antenna mast
post #191 of 5466 Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 PM

Has an event here where I work and all the local media was out (KY3, KSPR, FSFX, KOLR) and was able to corner the KOLR people.

Of course I had to ask about the HD (or lack thereof) and their plans. They told me that KOLR is the second largest station in their company, but has no plans until possibly 2008 to roll out HD. Then she started giving me the crap about cost and blah blah blah.

Oh well
post #192 of 5466 Old 04-19-2005, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The nexstar NBC station down here in Little Rock recently spent millions for a new building and digital studio. NO HD though. Stupid IDIOTS.
post #193 of 5466 Old 04-19-2005, 07:42 PM

I guess the only way to get the locals in HD is to buy the station. Who wants to join me in starting a collection?
post #194 of 5466 Old 04-20-2005, 08:40 AM

If I understand it correct, we will be able to get the networks in HD next year if our locals won't give us a signal. That should bring them to their milk.They may just turn the power up for digital and that may disqualify us to receive them on satellite.
post #195 of 5466 Old 04-20-2005, 12:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by MRUSS
... They may just turn the power up for digital and that may disqualify us to receive them on satellite.

They would have to turn up the power and transmit in HD in order to disqualify you.
post #196 of 5466 Old 04-20-2005, 12:55 PM
tch

Where did yo get this information? My last understanding was stations could broadcast multichannel digital OR HD... their choice. If they chose not to broadcast HD that was just tough. When/how did this change? Any specifics appreciated.
post #197 of 5466 Old 04-20-2005, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Information found by search of avsforum, http://dbsforums.com and http://satelliteguys.us for keywords: SHVERA and SHIVA

Later this year, if you can't get the big 4 in HD (not just digital) over the air from your local station, you'll qualify to get the network feed from NY or LA via satellite.
post #198 of 5466 Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 PM

Oh come on now.... dont tease me.

So let me get this straight.

IF I cant receive Fox, CBS and ABC in HD sometime later this year, THEN I will be able to receive them (at a cost) over DirecTV?
post #199 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 05:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK, yes.
post #200 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by arxaw
AFAIK, yes.

With all due respect, and I mean this sincerely - your post count indicates a serious commitment to this forum - I simply can't find anything to support this assertion at the sites you indicated, or on any other site, and I've searched to my best ability.

I would really appreciate a specific link to a thread that supports your belief that we may be eligible to receive HD DNS later this year via satellite, if no equivalent local OTA service is available.

If true, this would be a *significant* change in how current regulations have been widely interpreted until this point in time, and I believe we would be reading about it in hundreds, if not thousands, of places, both online and otherwise.

I'm strongly skeptical of this information, but would joyfully and enthusiastically admit my error if there has been some kind of change. No one would enjoy high-definition distant network feeds via D* more than me. I would *love* the chance to lawfully support more high-definition program sources with my personal dollars, and thumb my nose at the arrogant, short-sighted owners of the local affiliates who steadfastly and shamefully refuse to plan for the inevitable future.

And then, just to pour more salt in the wound, they rudely refuse to grant, or even seriously consider, waivers for those of us willing to pay for such services from competing sources, smugly hiding behind an anonymous corporate wall of cowardly indifference. (Ever wonder if the owners, and friends and families of the owners, of these same affiliates, or others with "connections" to these folks, have easy access to waivers that the rest of us can't possibly hope to get? I sure do. I'd love to see some kind of "sunshine" regulations that allowed us to see who gets the rare waivers that *do* get granted.)

Having the ability to legally support some true competition for these foot-dragging luddites would be good for my soul. Alas, I fear we are much more than a few months away from this delightful possibility. I truly hope I'm wrong.

PLM
post #201 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I will look for the site where I read about this and post back when I find it. I'm leaving town in just a few minutes, so it may take a while to find the article and get back.
post #202 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 10:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #203 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 10:19 AM

We are fortunate down here in the southern part of the Springfield DMA, as we already qualify for 3 of the 4 network HD channels on satellite.
post #204 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 11:02 AM

OK, I'm going to give my comments on the linked article by quoting the article below, with my comments (and personal interpretation) inline:

Quote:

US President Bush has signed into law a $388 billion (E292 billion) appropriations package which includes provisions regarding satellite reception. The new law, the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act (SHVERA) of 2004, gives the satellite TV industry 18 months to phase out a two-dish solution for reception of a certain set of local services, an item that targets EchoStar and its use of two dishes for receiving a select set of local TV channels for a number of markets.

This doesn't really do anything but set up our ability to receive Lil and SV (significantly viewed) stations with a single-dish, instead of a multi-dish setup. Nothing here to indicate a change in who can and can't receive HD distant networks

Quote:

The act also includes a provision allowing satellite TV to deliver "significantly viewed" stations to consumers who live outside the station's home market. In addition, the new provisions extend for five years the compulsory license that allows DBS services to provide super-stations and distant network signals.

Without getting into the arcane, complex, legalistic and conflicting definitions of "significantly viewed," Greene county, in the latest version of the SHVERA document (at http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-05-24A1.pdf), only has the *local* NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox affiliates listed as "significantly viewed". All of these are already locally broadcast OTA and available on both cable and via DBS Lil subscriptions (along with the non-mentioned-by-SHVERA PBS, UPN and WB networks), and, of these, only NBC (and the non-SV PBS) offers any HD OTA signal (*not* available anywhere except OTA). No joy, here either, I'm afraid.

As for the "super-stations" and "distant network signals" language, there is nothing here except a 5-year extension of the current unremarkable and useless state of affairs, which prevents those of us in at least a class B contour (everyone in Greene county) from receiving DNS in either SD or HD form, without a waiver or a grandfathered DNS service. Hopefully, D* and E* will offer HD superstations to us at some point. Won't help with first-run major network programming, though.

Quote:

SHVERA also allows for the creation of a "digital white area," which will allow satellite TV companies to deliver distant broadcast digital and high-definition signals to consumers who cannot receive a local digital TV signal.

There seems to be conflicting information and interpretations over whether this language actually was included in the signed legislation, but, even if it was, the language above only indicates the possibility that we can receive DNS and HD programming if we can't receive a local "digital" TV signal. Digital is *not* equal to HD, and the current non-HD-broadcasting affiliates (everyone but NBC and PBS) have been clear that they intend to take advantage of their ability to broadcast SD digital (instead of HD) to prevent those in the broadcast area from legally subscribing to alternative HD sources. All this while they also state that they have no plans to implement HD broadcasts until forced to do so by currently non-existent legislation (including the SHVERA referenced above).

I find nothing in this article to lend support to the belief that anyone in Greene county that wants to will be able to legally subscribe to HD distant networks delivered by a digital satellite service (or a cable service either, for that matter) anytime in the near (or forseeable) future.

Again, I most sincerely hope I'm wrong.

PLM
post #205 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 12:47 PM

The signifcantly viewed stuff is not fair at all. Here in Harrison the local cable offers the Little Rock networks minus Fox in addition to the Springfield networks. According to the FCC documents, on satellite we are not allowed the Little Rock locals.............
post #206 of 5466 Old 04-21-2005, 01:40 PM

As more HD channels become available on satellite the local channels that don't provide us an HD signal will just lose viewers.(anyway thats how I feel about it,but who am I) I have more HD now than I have time to watch tv.I would still like to have more options though.

I will live in hope that arxaw is right on this.I don't think SHEVRA wanted to make this very clear to anyone so they can have some wiggle room.
post #207 of 5466 Old 04-22-2005, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Arkie
The signifcantly viewed stuff is not fair at all. Here in Harrison the local cable offers the Little Rock networks minus Fox in addition to the Springfield networks. According to the FCC documents, on satellite we are not allowed the Little Rock locals.............

Arkie,

I visted Eureka Springs, AR last October, even though ES is in the Springfield DMA, the local cable carries 3 Little Rock networks, the Springfield networks (execpt PBS) and a couple of Fayettville networks. I don't really understand why cable companys have a pass on showing adjacnent DMA stations, while Sat companys are so highly restricted by SHIVA. I also remember my grandmother getting LR locals on Berryville cable from 1991 onward, although she was a stanch KY-3 news viewer...

Is Cox cable there offering HD at all (ESPN-HD, HBO-HD, etc) or do you have to settle for what KYTV throws across the border. If you have an antenna, have you received KTHV (digital 12) or KLRT (digital 30)--both from Little Rock, during tropo openings?
post #208 of 5466 Old 04-22-2005, 07:28 AM

Harry, the local cable here has carried the LR locals since the 70's at least. I don't have the option of subscribing to cable as I am out of the reach of Cox cable here in rural Boone County. I don't think they offer much in the way of HD though.

I am able to get KYTV HD, and can also get KHOG and KFSM in HD from Fayetteville/Fort Smith. I have also occasionally seen KTHV, KLRT, and the UPN station from LR at times.

You are right about KY3. Growing up with cable in Harrison we had the option of LR or Springfield news. We always watched KY3 for news and weather, and channel 7 in LR for Razorback sports.

KY3 seems to be the most popular down here, not sure which one is popular up in Springfield.
post #209 of 5466 Old 04-22-2005, 09:38 PM

Arkie,

When July 1st gets here, You might be able to receive KATV-HD if conditions are open. Currently the station operates low power with a directional antenna, but what will happen with the deadline for full-power operation is anyone's guess.

Glad to hear you can get 3 of the 4 major networks in HD. (well UPN, is a subchannel on KYTV 3-2, but thats another matter). Our local WB station, KWBF is scheduled to operate on channel 44 (same as KYTV) when it goes online--if it ever does.
post #210 of 5466 Old 04-27-2005, 06:38 AM

Well, I will be waiting and at 12:01 July 1, I will be calling DirecTV and trying to subscribe to those HD feeds that we cant get here.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page